Thoughts on Rams 1st round picks and depth chart?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That can happen with the increased talent level and whenever the BPA is selected. And playing time is especially affected when the player plays a position that isn't rotated. If DLinemen weren't rotated would you have been concerned about Robert Quinn not starting his rookie season? Did anyone get a warm fuzzy feeling when Jason Smith was in the starting lineup?

IMO, what should be more alarming is how often unprepared rookies are forced into the starting lineup out of necessity or perhaps even pressure from upper management due to their draft position. Most forget that starting and playing well are two different things altogether. And many rookie starters struggle at the latter.

Gil BrandtVerified account‏@Gil_Brandt
31 rookies are slated to start for an @NFL team in Week 1, plus 6 return men. Last year 39 rookies started in Week 1.

This is a big part of the reason this situation makes me raise an eyebrow. Jason Smith was supposed to be the LT for the next 10 years/BPA, etc. Then he is starting at RT while a rookie 2nd rounder steps in at LT. We were fed a bunch of BS about why...

A320driver

Rookie
gee...uhh am I aloud to say something ? Its because the staff cant trust him yet. As coach O said ..Not ready yet. The KC Cheifs followed your path , and the first guy taken in last years draft is a basket case..really struggling and thats being nice. He should not have been thrown into the fire so soon..now the cheifs are conducting damage control !..And trying to save their investment...no insider"shoo in" ..;(

Sum1

Hall of Fame
gee...uhh am I aloud to say something ? Its because the staff cant trust him yet. As coach O said ..Not ready yet. The KC Cheifs followed your path , and the first guy taken in last years draft is a basket case..really struggling and thats being nice. He should not have been thrown into the fire so soon..now the cheifs are conducting damage control !..And trying to save their investment...no insider"shoo in" ..;(

What path is that?

Alan

Legend
Sum1BTRthnU with a half empty glass:
This is a big part of the reason this situation makes me raise an eyebrow. Jason Smith was supposed to be the LT for the next 10 years/BPA, etc. Then he is starting at RT while a rookie 2nd rounder steps in at LT. We were fed a bunch of BS about why...
I understand what you're saying but when we took GR instead of Matthews we knew he was raw and not ready. That's why I wanted Matthews. Guess what though? From what I've been reading, Matthews has been struggling too. I'm not even sure he's starting. Give it time Sum because with GR we know we have a physical beast and we didn't know that about Smith. Smith was just a converted TE that people had high expectations of.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I understand what you're saying but when we took GR instead of Matthews we knew he was raw and not ready. That's why I wanted Matthews. Guess what though? From what I've been reading, Matthews has been struggling too. I'm not even sure he's starting. Give it time Sum because with GR we know we have a physical beast and we didn't know that about Smith. Smith was just a converted TE that people had high expectations of.
Oh I am, Alan...by no means am I throwing in the towel on Robinson.

...but I don't buy the converted TE argument about Smith. He had been playing tackle in college for 3 years prior to getting drafted.

Alan

Legend
Sum1BTRthnU forgetting the details of the hype:
...but I don't buy the converted TE argument about Smith. He had been playing tackle in college for 3 years prior to getting drafted.
The fact that he was a former TE and thus supposedly more athletic was why people thought he had more upside than Monroe. I wanted Monroe BTW. :LOL:

I know you're not throwing in the towel but I think you're becoming a Nervous Nelly. :LOL: Wait until mid season and if he isn't starting by then we'll start another thread and cry together. :)

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
So the op would believe better to start a rookie over a healthy proven veteran? I'm sure the coaching staff feels pretty good about the current health status of Joseph, Robinson was a redshirt sophmore coming from a rinky dink offense with tons of upside but...still far from a polished say...5th year senior, not sure I'm getting your apparent apprehension over allowing him to be eased into the position.

Wonder how you felt a couple years back when Robert Quinn was a healthy inactive his very first game?

'cest la vie, this is a fan forum and we all have perspectives.

Last edited:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
So the op would believe better to start a rookie over a healthy proven veteran? I'm sure the coaching staff feels pretty good about Joseph, Robinson was a redshirt sophmore coming from a bullcrap college rinky dink offense with tons of upside but...still far from a polished say...5th year senior, not sure I'm getting your apparent apprehension over allowing him to be eased into the position.

Wonder how you felt a couple years back when Robert Quinn was a healthy inactive his very first game?

'cest la vie, this is a fan forum and we all have perspectives.
<sigh>

No...that isn't what I said.

The "op" is just frustrated over years of inept drafting, and though I was very happy with the Rams draft I would just be more excited knowing that we got a couple IMMEDIATE impact players. Donald will be an impact player this year, I'm sure of it...but he also won't be on the field all the time.

My disappointment (note, I am not saying Robinson is a bust or I don't think he will be a good player) is strictly based on that the Rams have a long history of drafting poorly, and in most cases players that they draft that aren't on the field usually are followed by rationalized excuses.

Point taken on Quinn...but get the point that I'm not running around with my hair on fire freaking out.

Memphis Ram

Legend

But, Robinson is behind established quality veterans in Jake Long, Rodger Saffold, and Davin Joseph. Not the 33rd pick in the following year's draft class. Not Alex Barron or Adam Goldberg.

Now if he were behind guys like that then there would probably be more cause for concern.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
But, Robinson is behind established quality veterans in Jake Long, Rodger Saffold, and Davin Joseph. Not 33rd pick in the following year's draft class. Not Alex Barron or Adam Goldberg.
Good points. And I don't want to give the impression I think he should be starting no matter what...

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Personally, I was pulling for Matthews (more polished product I felt) woulda liked that hotshot LB the Radiers drafted, but that's not the way it worked out, we're all crossing our fingers on GR I like what I see.

Time will shortly reveal if those "inept" drafting years are long gone, I like the Rams past 2 drafts...now lemme get back to my kool-aid.

A320driver

Rookie
What path is that?

I was referring to Eric Fischer the 1 overall pick in last years draft class.. A. LT the Cheifs took with their first pick at #1
They took the path of rushing him into a starting role when he clearly was not ready, and who like Greg Robinson showed tremendous upside but struggled in the pre season...Fischer is really not doing well..he's a head case and a lot of it is because of the pressure to be the pro bowler as a rookie syndrome ..We have a very smart, and savy staff that has navigated this league for a long time ! They are not willing to risk Greg's, or the franchises future by making the same mistakes..And I can guarentee you they don't give a hoot what anybody thinks, or says!
They are going to do what's right for the Rams organization. If that means giving Robinson time to digest the play book, and or catch up to the faster pace of Pro football...That's what's gonna happen.

Sure hope I didn't pee in anyone's cornflakes?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Matthews while more polished would have a better handle on what do in pass protection, but would he be the power run blocker the Rams seem to want at OL? The answer to that question could be why it was said that they had Martin rated higher.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I was referring to Eric Fischer the 1 overall pick in last years draft class.. A. LT the Cheifs took with their first pick at #1
They took the path of rushing him into a starting role when he clearly was not ready, and who like Greg Robinson showed tremendous upside but struggled in the pre season...Fischer is really not doing well..he's a head case and a lot of it is because of the pressure to be the pro bowler as a rookie syndrome ..We have a very smart, and savy staff that has navigated this league for a long time ! They are not willing to risk Greg's, or the franchises future by making the same mistakes..And I can guarentee you they don't give a hoot what anybody thinks, or says!
They are going to do what's right for the Rams organization. If that means giving Robinson time to digest the play book, and or catch up to the faster pace of Pro football...That's what's gonna happen.

Sure hope I didn't pee in anyone's cornflakes?

You didn't pee in my corn flakes. However, I have not suggested that Greg Robinson should be starting no matter what. What I was getting at is it is disappointing that he is not ready to start.

Though, one thing I'd suspect we might see is Boudreau/Fisher getting GR some in game reps. They have done that in the past with some players along the offensive line.

A320driver

Rookie
Matthews while more polished would have a better handle on what do in pass protection, but would he be the power run blocker the Rams seem to want at OL? The answer to that question could be why it was said that they had Martin rated higher.
I'm not arguing !.. Just clearing up the picture..Boo worked out Robinson..Mathews..J. Batonio( Nevada) drafted by Browns.
Zach did not get a personal workout .

A320driver

Rookie
You didn't pee in my corn flakes. However, I have not suggested that Greg Robinson should be starting no matter what. What I was getting at is it is disappointing that he is not ready to start.

Though, one thing I'd suspect we might see is Boudreau/Fisher getting GR some in game reps. They have done that in the past with some players along the offensive line.

Yes..That will happen.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm not arguing !.. Just clearing up the picture..Boo worked out Robinson..Mathews..J. Batonio( Nevada) drafted by Browns.
Zach did not get a personal workout .

I'm not arguing either. But, the Rams tried to trade back into the 1st round for Martin. And it was reported that he was rated higher on their board than Matthews.

A320driver

Rookie
I'm not arguing either. But, the Rams tried to trade back into the 1st round for Martin. And it was reported that he was rated higher on their board than Matthews.

It doesn't matter at this point, but if you wouldn't mind saying ? If you can remember who reported that ?
...Was it Wagoner ?

iced

Matthews is starting at LT - would have been at RT had baker not gone down, and he is starting this weekend @ the saints.

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/7737/rookie-matthews-eager-to-face-saints