Thoughts on Rams 1st round picks and depth chart?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I've gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed that the Rams have 2 first rounders on the team and neither are starters at this point.

Obviously, I know that Donald is going to get a ton of playing time and will have a large impact. But the fact that Robinson isn't starting is concerning. Yes, I know he hasn't even played his first real game yet. As Rams fans we've seen too many offensive lineman start out slow while being reassured that it'll be fine and they just need a little time. Well, although it is a bit of revisionist history, It'll be pretty upsetting if he doesn't pan out and we look back and think we could have had Sammy Watkins or Blake Bortles.

I'm not ready to throw myself off the bridge or anything...just saying.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Because Bortles and Watkins have already proved themselves? They sound like a wine cooler. Just saying...

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It is very unsettling. However, my guess is he will be starting by the end of the season. I wouldn't bet 10 cent on our offensive line staying healthy all year.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
The QB and WR positions will always get more and more glam esp rookie seasons. GR will have his time and place if it ends up being next season so be it. Like many I expected to start at guard, but hey we have a formidable front 5 right now and I'm just as excited. AD99 will get his fair share this season. I know it's hard to be patient let's just watch this all play out.

Alan

Legend
As many have already said, how many games did it take before Pace started? Relax Sum. Make yourself a margarita.
images
images
images

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I shouldn't inform all of the people chirping for Bortles that he's not starting Week 1 either(and a former Pro Bowler isn't starting over him). :whistle:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I happy that we have 2 1st rnd picks that don't have to start.

Besides, those 2 are going to get plenty of playing time.

Big Willie

Starter
I think it speaks to the improvement of the talent and depth on the team that we are not forced to play rookies who are not yet ready to compete at the highest level. Also, you have former pro bowlers on the OL in Long, Joseph and Wells (I think) as well as two that graded out well last year (Barksdale and Saffold). The defensive line rotates so Donald will get a significant share of snaps.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
If we were paying these guys large quantities of money, I might be concerned with them sitting to start out the season. However, since we aren't currently paying a "boat load" for their services, I'm okay with the current situation. We got two very good players who will be very much involved this season. Hopefully, these two are long-term RAMS!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Wasn't Robinson a redshirt sophmore? I'm okay knowing the Goats don't have to rush him into battle, especially with their QB sit-chee-ation as precarious as it is.

As for Donald? I'm pretty sure most of us know (OP likewise) he'll have a role in the rotation.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
The absolute best scenario for the Rams is that Robinson never plays a down in 2015. Donald? ... not so much.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a pretty patient fan...but I don't believe that a player NOT playing this year is a good thing. If Robinson is as good as advertised and was simply beat out then thats great, but I have my doubts that's definitely the case. Similarly, speaking of the depth of the team that we don't "have to start rookies" is a bit of rationalizing to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for this season and think the Rams are going to be a pretty good team, with or without our starting QB...but the Rams are coming off a 7-9 season and have plenty of room for improvement at a few starting spots.

Like I said, I'm not ready to go and jump off a ledge or anything...but it I'd feel a lot better about Robinson if he was at the top of the depth chart somewhere.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Because Bortles and Watkins have already proved themselves? They sound like a wine cooler. Just saying...
Sure, the regular season hasn't started and who knows...I agree and I essential eluded to that in my OP. However, through the preseason I think Bortles HAS proven something. Watkins is starting for his team, that is proving something as well. Just sayin...

upload_2014-9-2_21-53-1.png

Cheers! (y)

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that you are going to see this more and more now that the league has limited practice time in the off and pre-seasons. Players are going to take a little more time getting up to speed.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm a pretty patient fan...but I don't believe that a player NOT playing this year is a good thing. If Robinson is as good as advertised and was simply beat out then thats great, but I have my doubts that's definitely the case. Similarly, speaking of the depth of the team that we don't "have to start rookies" is a bit of rationalizing to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for this season and think the Rams are going to be a pretty good team, with or without our starting QB...but the Rams are coming off a 7-9 season and have plenty of room for improvement at a few starting spots.

Like I said, I'm not ready to go and jump off a ledge or anything...but it I'd feel a lot better about Robinson if he was at the top of the depth chart somewhere.
SO, would you feel better if he were starting? and struggled, giving up damaging sacks, committing false starts, and missing assignments? But as long as he is starting you would feel better? PLEASE? man oh man,, because his career will be defined by not starting week one of his rookie season, in a position that was going to be a major adjustment to begin with.

When by almost all accounts, is now being manned by someone who could possibly be an All-Pro Guard. Step back away from the ledge.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That can happen with the increased talent level and whenever the BPA is selected. And playing time is especially affected when the player plays a position that isn't rotated. If DLinemen weren't rotated would you have been concerned about Robert Quinn not starting his rookie season? Did anyone get a warm fuzzy feeling when Jason Smith was in the starting lineup?

IMO, what should be more alarming is how often unprepared rookies are forced into the starting lineup out of necessity or perhaps even pressure from upper management due to their draft position. Most forget that starting and playing well are two different things altogether. And many rookie starters struggle at the latter.

Gil BrandtVerified account‏@Gil_Brandt
31 rookies are slated to start for an @NFL team in Week 1, plus 6 return men. Last year 39 rookies started in Week 1.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
It just seems to me our management is finding players built for the long haul, not the flash in the pans created by the media. Just look at the character of our brightest stars and our up and comers. It goes a long ways towards longivity. They'er not out hogging the cameras, they are working. I like that!

SierraRam

Recreational User
If anyone on the OL besides Wells goes down, GRob is in. 16 games = plenty of playing time for both 1st rounders... for years to come!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
SO, would you feel better if he were starting? and struggled, giving up damaging sacks, committing false starts, and missing assignments? But as long as he is starting you would feel better? PLEASE? man oh man,, because his career will be defined by not starting week one of his rookie season, in a position that was going to be a major adjustment to begin with.

When by almost all accounts, is now being manned by someone who could possibly be an All-Pro Guard. Step back away from the ledge.

No...what I'd feel better about was that we had a rookie that was starting and was everything advertised. Period.

If Davin Joseph has probowl caliber season that is fantastic. I realize that you have some talent evaluation experience and had the time to go to all the practices, but I think it does raise a red flag to some degree that he was beaten out by a 30 year old player coming off injury that was waived by his previous team.