Those friggin penalties-redux

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
I know we are in line to be the youngest team in the league for the third year. I know patience is a virtue.
It just seems that every game we are in a position to do something good, someone twitches or grabs or does something God Awful. If it was just the young guys, I think I would be more understanding. Just to name names (unfairly), every time I would see C. Long line up @ 3rd -5y I just cringed. I knew what was coming.
Young team, Fisher's liaise faire attitude, Rams bad Karma, lazy officials with a grudge? Just infuriating.
2014 - 123 TP/ 1139y R 27th (better than Buf, Det, Indy ,NE,Seattle)
2013 - 123 TP/1009y R 30th (better than Den, Seattle)
2012 - 149 TP/978y R 32 (none worse) We should have been in the Superbowl if you look at the previous years interlopers.

How do we fix it or is it "ain't broke". Can't believe I am the only one with patches of hair missing.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Three years in a row. It's not coincidence. Aggression is Fisher's motto defensively as it was w Martz offensively. Notice the Patriots and Seahawks ascribe to the same philosophy. Live on the edge and win. Well, they win. Hopefully someday we will too

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Ever since Chris Long got called for that offsides that clearly wasn't, I'm all in on having the refs as a major factor. A lot of these penalties are ticky-tack to absolute bullshit. I honestly don't care anymore. If they are flagged, beat their asses in the process.

MrMotes

Starter
Baltimore led the league in penalties two years ago when they won the SB. So did Seattle when they won it. This year both NE and Seattle were top 5 in penalties.

There are far more important issues, in fact i'd argue penalties are not an issue at all...

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The overall officiating in 2014 was atrocious and it seemed to be especially egregious against our Rams to the point that it probably even cost them a win or two. Take away the blatantly bad calls by the refs and the Rams are probably closer to middle of the pack.

Alan

Legend
MrMotes thinking black and white:
There are far more important issues, in fact i'd argue penalties are not an issue at all...
I'd argue that it's a big issue for 2nd tier teams and the playing style that produces many of the penalties is part of the reason why 1st tier teams are in the 1st tier.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Three years in a row. It's not coincidence. Aggression is Fisher's motto defensively as it was w Martz offensively. Notice the Patriots and Seahawks ascribe to the same philosophy. Live on the edge and win. Well, they win. Hopefully someday we will too
IMO, it's not the penalties, per se.... it's a team's ability to overcome them.

Martz is a good choice on this subject.

I'm pretty certain he didn't worry about penalties on offense because he was confident he had the team that could overcome them.

Pretty sure Bellichik and Carroll think along similar lines because they also have confidence in their team's abily to overcome the penalties.

All three coaches team's established a significant track record of overcoming penalties.

Have these Rams? I think we all know the answer to that one.

So, until this team establishes a track record like the GSOT Rams, New England and Seattle, my belief is that penalties do matter... they do to the Rams... I don't really care whether they do to New England or Seattle.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Just as frustrating, considering how ticky tack some the Rams penalties are, are the really blatant penalties on the other team that aren't called.

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000410690/Colin-Kaepernick-11-yard-touchdown-pass-to-Anquan-Boldin

Keep your eye on Donald, Quinn and Brockers. Amazingly, they called a penalty on Quinn.

Jared Cook offensive pass interference
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000411190/Official-Review-Cook-s-offensive-passing-interference-call

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000397970/Romo-connects-with-Dez-Bryant-for-a-68-yard-touchdown

Keep your eye on Langford who is horsecollar dragged to the ground.

The Eugine Sims penalties against the Cowboys
http://cover32.com/rams/2014/09/26/...non-penalties-vs-the-cowboys-prepare-to-rage/

Ryan Clady holding Robert Quinn.
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...no-longer-understand-offensive-holding.32479/
Joe Staley uses the same technique. Quinn might need to start doing more swim technique (perhaps from a wide-9) rather than ripping through.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The problem is points given up directly from our offenses turnovers and better capitalizing on the opportunities created by our defense.
The better teams generally own this statistic year in and year out. The Rams regressed badly last year in this area. Instability at QB was a big factor, obviously.

As was mentioned, the better teams are just as messy as us concerning the penalties. IMO the area i'd like to see cleaned up is the offensive penalties. Drive killers etc. I have confidence in our D to overcome penalties. Seattle feels the same way.

MrMotes

Starter
IMO, it's not the penalties, per se.... it's a team's ability to overcome them.

Martz is a good choice on this subject.

I'm pretty certain he didn't worry about penalties on offense because he was confident he had the team that could overcome them.

Pretty sure Bellichik and Carroll think along similar lines because they also have confidence in their team's abily to overcome the penalties.

All three coaches team's established a significant track record of overcoming penalties.

Have these Rams? I think we all know the answer to that one.

So, until this team establishes a track record like the GSOT Rams, New England and Seattle, my belief is that penalties do matter... they do to the Rams... I don't really care whether they do to New England or Seattle.

Jacksonville was the least penalized team last year, and not having as much to overcome as other teams sure didn't seem to make them any better as a team. So i'm not sure penalties make much, if any, difference to any team, regardless of their situation.

If i was a bad team that committed a lot of penalties i'd work on becoming a better team before i'd work on committing less penalties...

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Physical football isn't a problem, it's the stupid / mental mistake / lack of prep type penalties that are so frustrating like offsides, etc. Releasing RayRay helped. Funny that he committed a bonehead play in our match against Oakland the next week, hammering his own guy.

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Junkman, Codemonkey Mojo and all RODS all good guys. I pass the baton. I can't say in a book what you say succinctly . This year, when we are in the playoffs, bonehead, will be a term of endearment. But for the past ten years, SLOPPY, not aggressive, has been the operative word. The post is yours.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
If I remember correctly, the Rams gave up the most combined defensive and special teams tds against them. I think for 2014 that was a bigger problem than the penalties. But I never will forget the roughing call on Romo in the Cowboys game last season.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If I remember correctly, the Rams gave up the most combined defensive and special teams tds against them. I think for 2014 that was a bigger problem than the penalties. But I never will forget the roughing call on Romo in the Cowboys game last season.
Brutal call. Horrific call. Curiously obvious bad call. That one and the OPI on J.Cook vs SF.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Brutal call. Horrific call. Curiously obvious bad call. That one and the OPI on J.Cook vs SF.

The OPI was a "WTF" call finalist. If they had an award for worst call of the year that would be a nominee.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The OPI was a "WTF" call finalist. If they had an award for worst call of the year that would be a nominee.
Actually, I would classify Sims' defensive holding call against Dallas as a WTF finalist. That was literally impossible.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I know we are in line to be the youngest team in the league for the third year. I know patience is a virtue.
It just seems that every game we are in a position to do something good, someone twitches or grabs or does something God Awful. If it was just the young guys, I think I would be more understanding. Just to name names (unfairly), every time I would see C. Long line up @ 3rd -5y I just cringed. I knew what was coming.
Young team, Fisher's liaise faire attitude, Rams bad Karma, lazy officials with a grudge? Just infuriating.
2014 - 123 TP/ 1139y R 27th (better than Buf, Det, Indy ,NE,Seattle)
2013 - 123 TP/1009y R 30th (better than Den, Seattle)
2012 - 149 TP/978y R 32 (none worse) We should have been in the Superbowl if you look at the previous years interlopers.

How do we fix it or is it "ain't broke". Can't believe I am the only one with patches of hair missing.
To me it's not necessarily the total penalties as it is the "Types" of penalties. The stupid ones that shouldn't happen. I won't get into the list here.
Just keep in mind all the " Penalties the Old Raiders use to always get, and still when Championships!!
So, Penalties don't necessarily matter in my book!