LEGEND The Video Games Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno. I have a lvl 100 Horde druid on Sen'jin like I was saying and I really haven't missed flying that much. They've changed the game so that you really need to interact with the mobs, anyway, so flying over mobs would be bad or counterproductive. Plus, there are ways to avoid mobs if you need to. They tend to aggregate in areas, so it's easier in a way.

It's really not very much like MoP at all. I was also pretty upset about the lack of flying mounts. But at least in my experience, the actual play experience has been as good as it's ever been. The zones are so big and there isn't that much to farm so even with the fastest mounts, you'd be lost. Plus, with all the damned phasing tech, at a certain height, you may or may not be able to see a bunch of nodes or once you got lower, they may disappear (that still happens if you're on a cliff, which is how I know). Not trying to convince you so much as let you know that I was if not in the same boat as you, in one pretty close and I changed my mind after giving the game a chance.

Once you really get into it, I think you'll really like it. Like I said, I've been playing since Vanilla and I think this may be the best xpac of all.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I dunno. I have a lvl 100 Horde druid on Sen'jin like I was saying and I really haven't missed flying that much. They've changed the game so that you really need to interact with the mobs, anyway, so flying over mobs would be bad or counterproductive. Plus, there are ways to avoid mobs if you need to. They tend to aggregate in areas, so it's easier in a way.

It's really not very much like MoP at all. I was also pretty upset about the lack of flying mounts. But at least in my experience, the actual play experience has been as good as it's ever been. The zones are so big and there isn't that much to farm so even with the fastest mounts, you'd be lost. Plus, with all the damned phasing tech, at a certain height, you may or may not be able to see a bunch of nodes or once you got lower, they may disappear (that still happens if you're on a cliff, which is how I know). Not trying to convince you so much as let you know that I was if not in the same boat as you, in one pretty close and I changed my mind after giving the game a chance.

Once you really get into it, I think you'll really like it. Like I said, I've been playing since Vanilla and I think this may be the best xpac of all.
I think the biggest part of my dissatisfaction with the whole no flight thing is how it's been handled.

Quite a few people out there have either spent real money on store mounts or a lot of time and effort getting rare in game flying mounts. Now, in current content (where most players will spend most of their time), those flying mounts are confined to the ground for no in-story reason for who knows how long. Some mounts (Heart of the Aspects is a huge example for me here) may technically function as ground mounts, but are so unwieldy in size that it's like trying to drive the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile through suburbs.

Most people, including me, accept no flying during leveling (although Cataclysm was one of my favorite expansions because they did design a leveling experience that didn't require us to suddenly forget we could fly) although some kind of in-story explanation would still be nice. It could be as simply as having an NPC attempt to fly, crash, and your character gets advice to not try flying until they figure out what's going on. Keeping flight taken away at max level was a step in the wrong direction, but even then they announced it would be in 6.1. Then they said it'd be in 6.1 if feedback was overwhelmingly for it. From all indications, feedback IS overwhelmingly for the return of flight, but they still announced it would not return in 6.1 anyway.

If they want to remove flight from current content (and sadly, I think it's more about artificially increasing the length of content consumption rather than any kind of artistic or playstyle choice), there were a lot more proactive ways to address that, possibly including compensation for those who spent real money or time and effort for FLYING mounts. But even without that, they needed to be a lot more direct and honest than they were.

I've still got quite a bit of leveling to do, but so far, I'd be surprised if I didn't get to 100 then just start hanging out in my garrison and queueing for instances rather than do any of the open world max level content without flight.

That said, I do like the writing of the story so far in that we're being treated as a big deal to our faction rather than just some schmuck. Even if you have to ignore that 10 million other players are the Chosen One too (and leveling alts just RIPS that illusion away. I got 6 characters to 90 before WoD came out, with a 7th at 88.)

bluecoconuts

Legend
Saw some in game stuff from Uncharted 4, it looked amazing. Made by the same guys who make The Last of Us, so it's a good indicator for what The Last of Us 2 will look like. Which seems to be amazing.

I'm looking forward to Uncharted though.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Just got Far Cry 4 for PS4 only got to play it for about 20 minutes last night but it looks insane so far. best graphics ive seen so far on PS4.
Far Cry 3 had the best "fire" engine/graphics i've ever seen. Great game btw.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Saw some in game stuff from Uncharted 4, it looked amazing. Made by the same guys who make The Last of Us, so it's a good indicator for what The Last of Us 2 will look like. Which seems to be amazing.

I'm looking forward to Uncharted though.
Currently downloading Uncharted 3, which I got through PS Plus a while ago but never had HD space to download until now. And it's pretty nuts.

I have to download the Multiplayer component (4.5 GB), then the "Single Player Experience" (which is actually treated like DLC of the Multiplayer, 11 GB) then the movies (there's one file for 2D movies and one for 3D movies, you choose based on which TV you have, 10 GB either way) and then if I needed it, I'd have to download a Spanish or French language pack (800 MB)

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I've been playing a lot of NCAA Football 14 lately, which I got in a recent sale and is the most recent NCAA game and likely to stay that way for years (thankfully they added the roster download feature that's in Madden so you can not only still get correct rosters, but with correct real names as well).

If you import your own school in and choose it to be a juggernaut, it will actually give your entire team 99 ratings in every single category. Playing with this team thus becomes hysterical. Things like kickoff returns where you see 4 guys in front of you get pancaked by your blockers. Opposing screen calls where 90% of the time it's incomplete, results in a QB sack because my guys just get back there too fast, or the receiver tackled before getting back to the LOS.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Just restarted Y to do a Nuzlocke. Thus far, I am having the shittiest luck catching Pokémon, for the most part: nothing but bugs and derps. However, I did have good luck with one of the bugs: I got a female Combee. You see, male Combee cannot evolve, and they appear at an 87.5% ratio. So, yeah, I was very lucky.

Nuzlocke rules are as followed:

1. You may only catch the first Pokémon you see on any given route. Run away? Kill it? Too bad.
(1a.) Exceptions are on routes 1 and 7 where you're guaranteed to see the same Pokémon (Pidgey and Snorlax respectively).
2. If your Pokémon's health reaches zero, it is dead and must be permanently boxed. No revives.
3. You must nickname all of your Pokémon. They are not just tools to be used; they are your only friends in this run.
4. Your starter must remain on your team at all times. If he is killed, the run is failed.
5. You are not allowed to use status-healing items in any circumstance.
6. You are not allowed to leave a gym until everyone is defeated.
7. You are not allowed to leave an area that has been infiltrated by Team Flare.
8. If a Pokémon dies while holding an item, the item is unusable and must be thrown away.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Just restarted Y to do a Nuzlocke. Thus far, I am having the shittiest luck catching Pokémon, for the most part: nothing but bugs and derps. However, I did have good luck with one of the bugs: I got a female Combee. You see, male Combee cannot evolve, and they appear at an 87.5% ratio. So, yeah, I was very lucky.

Nuzlocke rules are as followed:

1. You may only catch the first Pokémon you see on any given route. Run away? Kill it? Too bad.
(1a.) Exceptions are on routes 1 and 7 where you're guaranteed to see the same Pokémon (Pidgey and Snorlax respectively).
2. If your Pokémon's health reaches zero, it is dead and must be permanently boxed. No revives.
3. You must nickname all of your Pokémon. They are not just tools to be used; they are your only friends in this run.
4. Your starter must remain on your team at all times. If he is killed, the run is failed.
5. You are not allowed to use status-healing items in any circumstance.
6. You are not allowed to leave a gym until everyone is defeated.
7. You are not allowed to leave an area that has been infiltrated by Team Flare.
8. If a Pokémon dies while holding an item, the item is unusable and must be thrown away.
I've heard of Nuzlocke before, and I don't know if I could even bear to try it.

I do call that if you encounter a Shiny, you're allowed to change the rules to get it and transfer it to another game.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Just in case anyone wants to add me on the various gaming services out there, here's my identities... although I will warn you, this list will get repetitive:

Battle.net (Blizzard): Boffo97#1137
Steam: Boffo97
Origin: Boffo97
Playstation Network: Boffo97
Xbox Live: Boffo97 (though with not owning an Xbox currently, I'm pretty inactive there other than playing an occasional PC game that still has GFWL.)

Let me know if you add me, so I don't think it's some random stranger.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I've heard of Nuzlocke before, and I don't know if I could even bear to try it.

I do call that if you encounter a Shiny, you're allowed to change the rules to get it and transfer it to another game.

Well, in order for it to be a Nuzlocke, you have to include the first three rules I mentioned. The first rule is so that you get used to using different kinds of mons, and the other two are to make it so that you care about what happens to them. Everything else is just me adding rules in to make it more challenging than it has to be.

And no, shiny Pokémon don't interest me. A lot of people change the rules for shinies; I don't. Same goes for legends (unless you are forced to capture them, in which case they are caught and then boxed).

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I added you. My info for Steam and other services is just 2 messages above yours, but is largely what you'd expect.

I don't play online much except for WoW, but it's nice to have people listed.

Added you, but I didn't get your request.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Just like the arcade game archive I linked earlier in this thread, 2400 MS DOS games playable on your browser legally and free: https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games

My entry for oddest game in the archive? Super Noah's Ark 3D by Christian game designer Wisdom Tree, Inc. They took the engine from the original Wolfenstein 3-D and rather than being an escaped prisoner killing Nazis, you're Noah aboard the ark, throwing food to animals (of which there's way too many of a certain kind to agree with the Biblical account) so they go to sleep.

Why God is okay with these animals trying to kill Noah goes unstated. Play it here: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Super_Noahs_Ark_3-D_1995

Last edited:

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I'm behind the times. I just started playing Sleeping Dogs and in my opinion, it's my second favorite game to Red Dead Redemption. There needs to be more cowboy games.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I'm behind the times. I just started playing Sleeping Dogs and in my opinion, it's my second favorite game to Red Dead Redemption. There needs to be more cowboy games.
I got "Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition" in the most recent Steam sale. Haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the recommendation.

And yes, Red Dead Redemption is awesome. I have no idea why it never got a PC port... that's "we hate money" level dumb.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Just started Destiny for X1. Gamertag is SilentMemento91