LEGEND The Video Games Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Man, I feel old.

I'm still playing WoW after 11 years.

Can't get into consoles because my hands aren't reliable and losing a challenge because my fingers decide to just push random buttons isn't fun.

And being on a Mac, my choices are so limited. Don't get me wrong, I love WoW and D3, but it'd be nice to have more choices than Blizzard games or crappy ports.

I'm thinking of trying to find less button mashing games that are more story oriented for the Xbox One. I've heard that Persona is really good, but I dunno.

The last thing I care about is the latest and greatest. Old games that are awesome that might be in the bargain bin works for me.

If you have DesMume or VisualBoyAdvance, you could always use them as emulators for GameBoy DS/GameBoy Advance (respectively) games. All you have to do is download the games. And as for bargain bin...why not try a Pokemon game? :p ;) :D

Memento

Name
Jemma
In other news, I got Shadow of War and I absolutely fucking love it. The Nemesis system is one of the most original things I've ever seen in my life. The sidequests are extremely fun, if difficult, and the story itself tops Shadow of Mordor already, and I'm only in the second part of four chapters.

Can't wait to have enough money to re-purchase Mass Effect: Andromeda. I loved playing it before I lost it in a fire. I'm very sad that Evil Arts has decided to make it the only one in the series because this game had loads of potential. Chalk that up to another franchise ruined by Evil Arts (Dead Space being another one).

And I'm playing a fuckton of Nuzlockes on my computer, thanks to the emulators I mentioned. I've also got a few hacks that I'm playing (Blaze Black 2, Kanto Black, and Fire Red Advanced) are some of the Nuzlockes I'm playing. I'm playing a psychiclocke on BB2, a Nuzlocke of Kanto Black, a Nuzlocke of FRA, a Nuzlocke of Platinum, a poisonlocke of HeartGold, a normallocke of SoulSilver, a fightinglocke of White, and a rock/ground duolocke of Crystal.

That's not even mentioning the Pokemon games I have on me right now. I'm currently playing Pokemon Sun and leveling up a couple of mons to evolve them for transfer.

So, yeah, I'm pretty busy when it comes to video gaming, haha. :D

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
In other news, I got Shadow of War and I absolutely freaking love it. The Nemesis system is one of the most original things I've ever seen in my life. The sidequests are extremely fun, if difficult, and the story itself tops Shadow of Mordor already, and I'm only in the second part of four chapters.

Can't wait to have enough money to re-purchase Mass Effect: Andromeda. I loved playing it before I lost it in a fire. I'm very sad that Evil Arts has decided to make it the only one in the series because this game had loads of potential. Chalk that up to another franchise ruined by Evil Arts (Dead Space being another one).

And I'm playing a fuckton of Nuzlockes on my computer, thanks to the emulators I mentioned. I've also got a few hacks that I'm playing (Blaze Black 2, Kanto Black, and Fire Red Advanced) are some of the Nuzlockes I'm playing. I'm playing a psychiclocke on BB2, a Nuzlocke of Kanto Black, a Nuzlocke of FRA, a Nuzlocke of Platinum, a poisonlocke of HeartGold, a normallocke of SoulSilver, a fightinglocke of White, and a rock/ground duolocke of Crystal.

That's not even mentioning the Pokemon games I have on me right now. I'm currently playing Pokemon Sun and leveling up a couple of mons to evolve them for transfer.

So, yeah, I'm pretty busy when it comes to video gaming, haha. :D

All that part about locks... I have no idea what any of that means.

And @Mackeyser I'm still playing D3, I just re bought a copy of reaper of souls, and I still love it.

Memento

Name
Jemma

And @Mackeyser I'm still playing D3, I just re bought a copy of reaper of souls, and I still love it.

Lockes, as in Nuzlockes. It's basically a Pokemon game, but with these exceptions:

Rule number one: The first Pokemon you see on a specific route, you have to catch. If you kill it or run away, you don't get another chance.

Rule number two: If a Pokemon of yours faints in battle, it's considered dead and cannot be used again.

Rule number three: Nickname every Pokemon you capture.

The psychiclocke means I can only capture the first psychic Pokemon I see. The poisonlocke is the same as the psychiclocke, only with poison types. Normallocke is normal types. Rock and ground duolocke means that I can only capture the first rock or ground Pokemon I see.

I hope that explains a bit. :D

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Lockes, as in Nuzlockes. It's basically a Pokemon game, but with these exceptions:

Rule number one: The first Pokemon you see on a specific route, you have to catch. If you kill it or run away, you don't get another chance.

Rule number two: If a Pokemon of yours faints in battle, it's considered dead and cannot be used again.

Rule number three: Nickname every Pokemon you capture.

The psychiclocke means I can only capture the first psychic Pokemon I see. The poisonlocke is the same as the psychiclocke, only with poison types. Normallocke is normal types. Rock and ground duolocke means that I can only capture the first rock or ground Pokemon I see.

I hope that explains a bit. :D

I never played Pokemon (sometimes being poor has advantages) so whole I understand what you're saying... I'm still mostly lost and probably not going to get it without a novel.

But you're an authoress, so have at it if you'd like I guess.

Speaking of which, are you Nanowrimo'ing this year?

Psycho_X

Legend
Not sure why but had no idea there was a video game thread... blind apparently. All though I don't really have time to play a lot anymore but still like to. Have played just about every mmo over the last 15 years. But anyway, only thing I play off and on at the moment is D3 and skyrim on console and still play guild wars 2 and SWTOR on PC every now and then. All though I'm pretty much done with giving EA money I think. Am also glad they are getting raked over the coals this week. Just an awful, shit company.

800x462.jpeg.10c233f30f5e443594e0c88886624ae5.large

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I just started a Seasonal Character. Making a Barb because WW is decent again. My eldest son prefers LeapQuake...for the younger folks out there, he calls it the Zaboomafoo build. "I'm going to kill demons...in Zaboo land... Leap...leap...leap"

Only my youngest is really digging on the new Necromancer. They play a blood build of some kind that I'm not totally comfortable with. I mean, it's not as visually explicit as Mortal Kombat, but with the sounds...it's just...Eew.

I do like that they got rid of that abomination that was the Real Money Auction House and made legendaries and sets mean something. On initial launch, the best weapons were ideally rolled yellows, if you'll recall and only Wizards and DHs could get past Act 2 on Torment 6 because Wizards had their shield and DHs could do it if they had Kridershot and just spam Nether Ball or w/e it's called.

I dunno how much I'll play D3 because I really have some things I'd like to accomplish in WoW, but I do have fun with my WW barb.

Which specs do you play?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
In other news, I got Shadow of War and I absolutely freaking love it. The Nemesis system is one of the most original things I've ever seen in my life. The sidequests are extremely fun, if difficult, and the story itself tops Shadow of Mordor already, and I'm only in the second part of four chapters

Memento, would you recommend playing Shadow of Mordor first before Shadow of War? Or is it not necessary?

How open world are these two games?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I got sucked back into COD WW2 online w/friends.

It's got some cool stuff. Storming into a German bunker in Normandy with a flamethrower is incredibly satisfying.
The new "War" game mode is cool.

Then there's also the usual crap that drives me nuts playing this game. Lag, quick scoping, spawn trapping, ridiculously "smart" grenade tosses etc. I'm enjoying it for the most part though. It's cool playing with the same online crew i've been rolling with off and on for a decade...since Resistance online(PS3 launch).

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I just started a Seasonal Character. Making a Barb because WW is decent again. My eldest son prefers LeapQuake...for the younger folks out there, he calls it the Zaboomafoo build. "I'm going to kill demons...in Zaboo land... Leap...leap...leap"

Only my youngest is really digging on the new Necromancer. They play a blood build of some kind that I'm not totally comfortable with. I mean, it's not as visually explicit as Mortal Kombat, but with the sounds...it's just...Eew.

I do like that they got rid of that abomination that was the Real Money Auction House and made legendaries and sets mean something. On initial launch, the best weapons were ideally rolled yellows, if you'll recall and only Wizards and DHs could get past Act 2 on Torment 6 because Wizards had their shield and DHs could do it if they had Kridershot and just spam Nether Ball or w/e it's called.

I dunno how much I'll play D3 because I really have some things I'd like to accomplish in WoW, but I do have fun with my WW barb.

Which specs do you play?

I play a barbarian, because I got tired of kiting in Diablo and D2. I hadn't played in almost 2 years (and it looked up the build some few months before that) so I don't remember what it's called. I rely a lot on life per hit items and Whirlwind.

I have a bunch of low level characters of other types, but like I said, I hate kiting so they don't get much play.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Memento, would you recommend playing Shadow of Mordor first before Shadow of War? Or is it not necessary?

How open world are these two games?

You should probably play Shadow of Mordor first because of plot reasons. Both of these games are very much open world. In Shadow of Mordor, you have two places, but they're very much open world. Shadow of War is even bigger.

I mean, they aren't exactly Witcher or Fallout, but they're big enough.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I play a barbarian, because I got tired of kiting in Diablo and D2. I hadn't played in almost 2 years (and it looked up the build some few months before that) so I don't remember what it's called. I rely a lot on life per hit items and Whirlwind.

I have a bunch of low level characters of other types, but like I said, I hate kiting so they don't get much play.

Yeah, that's a Whirlwind Barb and WW barbs got a lot of love for this season, Season 12.

I have a pretty well geared Demon Hunter and with the Multi-shot build, I'm a death dealing machine. I typically do so much dmg that even pushing, I'm not kiting. There's options.

My youngest plays the new Necromancer class and they basically as a caster tank everything to the face. They specifically want things to be close and holy cow, she generates so many health globes that our synergy with me being a WW barb and them being a Blood Necro, we just smoke things.

If you like D3, now's a pretty good time to start a Seasonal Barb. The initial set is Immortal Kings, which isn't great, but you can do WW with it until you get the Wastes set. Actually, I think it's better at low Paragon levels while you're gathering gear because you can keep up Call of the Ancients (3 barb pets) and Wrath of the Berserker all the time while fighting.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
My favorite Marvel game, Marvel Heroes, is going to shut down on Dec. 31st.

Also I know Ubisoft takes a lot of flak, some deserved, some not but the new Assassin's Creed Origins game is on point. It's like a combo of Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild. I have spent hours lost in exploring and doing side quests. I really recommend playing it.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
You should probably play Shadow of Mordor first because of plot reasons. Both of these games are very much open world. In Shadow of Mordor, you have two places, but they're very much open world. Shadow of War is even bigger.

I mean, they aren't exactly Witcher or Fallout, but they're big enough.

Shadow of Mordor is a solid game but it butchers the Tolkien lore

Memento

Name
Jemma
Shadow of Mordor is a solid game but it butchers the Tolkien lore

Shadow of War butchers Tolkien lore as well, but the plot in both games is actually very good.

Psycho_X

Legend
My favorite Marvel game, Marvel Heroes, is going to shut down on Dec. 31st..

Yeah I'm mildly annoyed about that. Been playing that off and on since release. Nothing too crazy but I've got several gold prestige and a bunch of other lesser prestiges toons. Stupid CEO sexually harassing devs or whatever it is that made Disney pull the rip cord. Think I still have a 1,000ish G unspent in the game.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Finished Wolfenstein: The Old Blood and the New Order, gonna start The New Colossus now; looking forward to killing Nazi scum.

Angry Ram

Yeah I'm mildly annoyed about that. Been playing that off and on since release. Nothing too crazy but I've got several gold prestige and a bunch of other lesser prestiges toons. Stupid CEO sexually harassing devs or whatever it is that made Disney pull the rip cord. Think I still have a 1,000ish G unspent in the game.

Really? That guy should've been fired, and not punish the game developers and players.

There has to be more to kill the entire game.

Psycho_X

Legend
Really? That guy should've been fired, and not punish the game developers and players.

There has to be more to kill the entire game.

Yeah I don't know, that's the rumor that was going around i guess. It was just really weird timing with them pushing the console release this summer. My guess is the console release bombed, they had already been ignoring PC users for a year because of that and a lot of them had left, and throw in a sexual harassment claim in today's political climate and Disney just weighed the game as not worth it. It's a shame though, it wasn't the most involving or deep game out there but i enjoyed wasting time in it when I was bored.

Angry Ram

Yeah I don't know, that's the rumor that was going around i guess. It was just really weird timing with them pushing the console release this summer. My guess is the console release bombed, they had already been ignoring PC users for a year because of that and a lot of them had left, and throw in a sexual harassment claim in today's political climate and Disney just weighed the game as not worth it. It's a shame though, it wasn't the most involving or deep game out there but i enjoyed wasting time in it when I was bored.

Man that sucks. I thought I'd be OK but it's weirdly affecting me. 1000+ hours put in the game. I made Cap, Winter Solider, and Star-Lord into badasses.

It's officially shut down now. What a dick move by Gazillion, to force their employees out right before Thanksgiving.