LEGEND The Video Games Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

Dl'd diablo 3 again on my laptop the other other day. Hadn't played it in about 4 months and had new hard drive.

My laptop is about 6 years old now and even on low settings overheats and shuts off after 10 minutes of running it. Besides the graphics card it is actually still a pretty good laptop.

Anyone know how to keep this from happening? I'm high-ish level doing t3 easy and want to get to t6.

When was the last time you physically cleaned your computer? The two biggest culprits for overheating are insulation (the computer not being able to breath thanks to dust) and the thermal compound going bad..

I'd try the first the one as the easiest fix - get the canned air and target the video card and cpu fans through the case

If that doesn't work, most likely the thermal compound/paste needs to be reapplied to the video card (this is the paste the transfers the heat to the fan to blow it out..when this goes bad, your laptop can keep over heating.) I had to do this on my gaming laptop not too long ago, which was about as old as your computer. thermal compound is cheap (under $10). however getting to your video card is the fun part

Do you know what temperatures you're hitting? 75 degrees celsius should be your limit - when you get into the 80ish range you could start theoretically start damaging parts, and if you get into the 90s or even 100 its possible to completely burn the card out.

Last edited:

iced

Alien:Isolation is a very frustrating game.

lol I can imagine. I don't like those "Survival" games - I'm too much of a fighter for it.

I don't know if you've played the Evil within but I was so frustrated with that game lol - I guess you're supposed to run from the "butcher" (think Leatherface and the Hulk had a gay love child) in this game and sneak around - whats the first thing I do? Sneak up behind the guy and shove a machete right through 'em; only for him to turn around and completely destroy me lol

iced

By the way for those of you that don't know about Steam or what it is, they offer lots of awesome Seasonal Deals. I've gotten a ton of games off of there for cheap (like less than $15)

http://store.steampowered.com/ (although it looks like there's 40 minutes left on their "encore deals")

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
let me know how that card runs.

To think I dropped $330 a piece on two of these last summer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CZIQXBA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I upgraded from a Sapphire Radeon 6870. I think it was 3 years old. And it wasn't top of the line when I bought it.

On CS:GO, I went from ~150 fps, to the max which is ~300. It drops some during heavy gun fights, but never below ~250.

On WoW, I turned everything to Max with the Nvidia AA injected. The FPS wasn't that great, but I may need to upgrade my memory. Cause WoW is a resource hog. But, the game is gorgeous in 144hz.

I haven't played any graphic intensive games yet. I picked up Tomb Raider during the Steam Summer Sale for $4, and that'll be my next play. I've got to beat FF7 first. Had to replay it after seeing the re-make trailer.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
By the way for those of you that don't know about Steam or what it is, they offer lots of awesome Seasonal Deals. I've gotten a ton of games off of there for cheap (like less than $15)

http://store.steampowered.com/ (although it looks like there's 40 minutes left on their "encore deals")

Some of the better deals I've found so far.

Tomb Raider
Witcher 1
Witcher 2
Fallout New Vegas
Skyrim

All these games are selling for $4-$6 for the next 40 minutes. Until noon central time.

iced

I upgraded from a Sapphire Radeon 6870. I think it was 3 years old. And it wasn't top of the line when I bought it.

On CS:GO, I went from ~150 fps, to the max which is ~300. It drops some during heavy gun fights, but never below ~250.

On WoW, I turned everything to Max with the Nvidia AA injected. The FPS wasn't that great, but I may need to upgrade my memory. Cause WoW is a resource hog. But, the game is gorgeous in 144hz.

I haven't played any graphic intensive games yet. I picked up Tomb Raider during the Steam Summer Sale for $4, and that'll be my next play. I've got to beat FF7 first. Had to replay it after seeing the re-make trailer.

Nice. On GO, I usually operate around the 250-300 fps range, but that game is full of random FPS drops (which makes me think its more server side than my rig)..

Don't play WoW, was also an Everquest loyalist but I don't have the time anymore to play that game.

Memory is super cheap these days. What OS are you running? My Rig has 32 gigs of Ram (ddr3) , but it wasn't solely for gaming - needed the bulk of it for running Virtual operating systems and other tools for my cyber security classes (Like Kali Linux).

Lol @ FF7. I may get my GF to try that that

The only game I have "trouble running" is Far Cry 3 at max settings (I have 2 those cards at sli, i5-3470 3.2 ghz usually OC'ed to 3.6 for gaming), it hovers around 45-50 FPS.

iced

Some of the better deals I've found so far.

Tomb Raider
Witcher 1
Witcher 2
Fallout New Vegas
Skyrim

All these games are selling for $4-$6 for the next 40 minutes. Until noon central time.

yea I picked up Depth the other night for $9.99 and the Entire Sid meier's Civ collection (complete edition too) for $9.99

I ALMOST got Dying light the other night when it was like $25 or $30, haven't seen it that low since that night though

Currently debating between PC or Ps4 for arkham knight.... PS4 I get it on my 55" ... PC is on my 24" , but I can play it in 3d (and my GF wants it in 3d so she can watch me play lol)

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Currently debating between PC or Ps4 for arkham knight.... PS4 I get it on my 55" ... PC is on my 24" , but I can play it in 3d (and my GF wants it in 3d so she can watch me play lol)

Arkham Knight came free with my 970. I got it from Amazon, and signed up for the Amazon credit card for a free $70 gift card. I ended up paying $300 even after tax.

iced

Arkham Knight came free with my 970. I got it from Amazon, and signed up for the Amazon credit card for a free $70 gift card. I ended up paying $300 even after tax.

Nice. Lol I don't know what I'd do with my video cards if I upgraded again.. I already have a back up desktop that has my two 560's in it lol...

Guess I'd have to build another? lol

iced

Nice. Lol I don't know what I'd do with my video cards if I upgraded again.. I already have a "back up desktop" that has my two 560's in it lol...

Guess I'd have to build another? lol

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Nice. On GO, I usually operate around the 250-300 fps range, but that game is full of random FPS drops (which makes me think its more server side than my rig)..

Don't play WoW, was also an Everquest loyalist but I don't have the time anymore to play that game.

Memory is super cheap these days. What OS are you running? My Rig has 32 gigs of Ram (ddr3) , but it wasn't solely for gaming - needed the bulk of it for running Virtual operating systems and other tools for my cyber security classes (Like Kali Linux).

Lol @ FF7. I may get my GF to try that that

The only game I have "trouble running" is Far Cry 3 at max settings (I have 2 those cards at sli, i5-3470 3.2 ghz usually OC'ed to 3.6 for gaming), it hovers around 45-50 FPS.

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 64bit. I've claimed my upgrade to Windows 10, but am not sure when I'll upgrade.

I'm running:
i5 3570k (had it OC'd to 4,0 GHZ, but it was starting to run hot, so now it's on the stock clock.)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
256GB Samsung SSD
8GB of Samsung Ram
EVGA 970 GTX (thinking of OC'ing to the 980 clock speeds.)
650W PSU

iced

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 64bit. I've claimed my upgrade to Windows 10, but am not sure when I'll upgrade.

I'm running:
i5 3570k (had it OC'd to 4,0 GHZ, but it was starting to run hot, so now it's on the stock clock.)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
256GB Samsung SSD
8GB of Samsung Ram
EVGA 970 GTX (thinking of OC'ing to the 980 clock speeds.)
650W PSU

Whats the amperage on 12v rail for both the PSU and GTX? Also, how much memory does your motherboard support? Single stick of 8 gigs is about $50

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Whats the amperage on 12v rail for both the PSU and GTX? Also, how much memory does your motherboard support? Single stick of 8 gigs is about $50

It's an XfX XXX edition. I think it's like 50A on the 12V rail.
I'm pretty sure the 970 needs 28A.

iced

It's an XfX XXX edition. I think it's like 50A on the 12V rail.
I'm pretty sure the 970 needs 28A.

nice.

each of my GTX 770's have 41 or 42 amps or so on the 12v rail, friggin ridiculous. I have a 1000 Watt PSU, with 83 Amps on 12v rail (I'm wondering if I needed a slightly bigger one... Sometimes when I OC'ed the CPU to the 4.0 ghz range it would crash, which I'm guessing is from too much power consumption)

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
nice.

each of my GTX 770's have 41 or 42 amps or so on the 12v rail, friggin ridiculous. I have a 1000 Watt PSU, with 83 Amps on 12v rail (I'm wondering if I needed a slightly bigger one... Sometimes when I OC'ed the CPU to the 4.0 ghz range it would crash, which I'm guessing is from too much power consumption)

My OC'd CPU was spiking to 90 degrees on each core, that's why i dropped it back down. I'm not too sure why. My cooler was seated right, as I could feel the heat on the radiator. The GPU was running a bit hot too, about 80 degrees. I'll have to reevaluate it, maybe the program I downloaded was buggy.

iced

My OC'd CPU was spiking to 90 degrees on each core, that's why i dropped it back down. I'm not too sure why. My cooler was seated right, as I could feel the heat on the radiator. The GPU was running a bit hot too, about 80 degrees. I'll have to reevaluate it, maybe the program I downloaded was buggy.

Which program? Speedfan is the one i use my cpu.

I'd check the thermal compound - how long have you had the cpu and when was the last time you've applied the paste to it?

And anything above 75 degrees is dangerous, careful

Last edited: