The Soccer Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I've had a look through and there isn't a dedicated association football thread on this site, so I thought it'd be a good idea to get one going.

Nail your colours to the mast and let's get some good friendly rivalry going!

I'm a Liverpool fan and have been since I was six. It's been tough for the last twenty years or so (with the glorious exception of Istanbul) but the signs are that we're on our way back under Brendan Rodgers and we've got the nucleus of a young squad capable of going places, so long as the refs give us a fair chance- which wasn't the case in the recent games against Manchester City and Chelsea.

For those of you in the US who think that NFL officials are biased, you should try watching Barclays Premier League matches. The officiating can be so one-sided that you just have to laugh.

Anyway, are there any more soccer fans out there in ROD-land?

PhxRam

I've had a look through and there isn't a dedicated association football thread on this site, so I thought it'd be a good idea to get one going.

Nail your colours to the mast and let's get some good friendly rivalry going!

I'm a Liverpool fan and have been since I was six. It's been tough for the last twenty years or so (with the glorious exception of Istanbul) but the signs are that we're on our way back under Brendan Rodgers and we've got the nucleus of a young squad capable of going places, so long as the refs give us a fair chance- which wasn't the case in the recent games against Manchester City and Chelsea.

For those of you in the US who think that NFL officials are biased, you should try watching Barclays Premier League matches. The officiating can be so one-sided that you just have to laugh.

Anyway, are there any more soccer fans out there in ROD-land?

You get enough interest and I will give you your own forum.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the offer, Phx, but I reckon we'll only plod along with three or four regular contributors to this thread.

Still, we'll see what happens.

:cool:

I feel as a Brit I should at least contribute to this thread, but I'd only end up going on a rant about how awful soccer is, so I'll leave it alone.

PhxRam

I feel as a Brit I should at least contribute to this thread, but I'd only end up going on a rant about how awful soccer is, so I'll leave it alone.

Are you even allowed to say that? You might want to make a quick check on your citizenship. It may have just been revoked.

Are you even allowed to say that? You might want to make a quick check on your citizenship. It may have just been revoked.

A quick edit of my post should see to that

I feel as a Brit I should at least contribute to this thread, but I'd only end up going on a rant spending the next week talking about how awful awesome soccer is, so I'll leave it alone.

God save the Queen.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Interesting. Could you let us know, briefly, why you feel this way?

Is it the abysmal refereeing, the influx of money, the increasing prices for normal supporters, or something else?

Interesting. Could you let us know, briefly, why you feel this way?

Is it the abysmal refereeing, the influx of money, the increasing prices for normal supporters, or something else?

For me it's the fact that only 4 teams can ever win the Premier League, admittedly those 4 teams have changed over the history of the Premier League but only due to an influx of money, it all becomes a bit pointless.

The fact that most players are unlikeable lead me to dislike the England team.

There's also my rise in interest in American football, I stopped enjoying most football years ago, but was still a season ticket holder at Crewe Alex for 10+ years, but it got to the point where I'd rather watch College Gameday each Saturday than make the 20 minute journey to Crewe.

Maybe awful was too strong, more of a dislike.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
That's an interesting response. I share your dislike for the lack of competition and the way football has become about money more than anything else. The Premier League is marketed as a story, a fairy tale. Ironic, then, that the league season often appears as scripted as anything by Hans Christen Andersen.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hey Flipper,,,

What do I have to pay to get a can of that magic aerosol spray that I see being used to heal those soccer players who are laid out on a fucking stretcher within about 10 seconds. We have got to get a case of that shit in the hands of the Rams trainers like yesterday.

Thank you

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Hey Flipper,,,

What do I have to pay to get a can of that magic aerosol spray that I see being used to heal those soccer players who are laid out on a freaking stretcher within about 10 seconds. We have got to get a case of that shyte in the hands of the Rams trainers like yesterday.

Thank you
I think you have to sprinkle the players liberally with fairy dust first.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Bayern-Munchen-Wallpaper-Champion.jpg

It's all about the Bundesliga gentlemen!!!!!!!! GO BAYERN!!!!

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a season ticket holder at West Ham. Trust me it hasn't been great recently, although they did win 2-0 today to finally give me a bit of respite!

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Great Cup Final we had in 2006, HX, although I'm sure that you would have preferred a different result!

Do you reckon West Ham will stay up this season?

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes let's not talk about that game!! I think it all depends on what's happens during the transfer window. If they can get a couple of decent players in we may be ok. Need to get players like Reid fit as well. Meant to have a work permit hearing on Monday for this 6ft 8" geezer from the Ivory Coast. Fat Sam will be in his element with him and Carroll up front. Was a massive win for us today though, had we lost we'd have been on our knees.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I'm not happy here: from 2-0 up and cruising to 2-2, with both Stoke's goals scored by former Liverpool players.
:mad:

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
The Bayern fans have got it made.
Best side in the world right now.

I really wish United could have convinced Pep to go to Manchester.