The running QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
The Rams are in the market for a QB. The three names mentioned are Winston, Mariota, and Hundley. Winston is a guy who can play from the pocket, he can run but I don't consider him a running QB. He reminds me of Big Ben. He even has the rape allegations Ben has had. I digress. In 2012 people said the running QB was in. In 2014 the tune has changed a bit. RGIII has shown he can't play in the pocket and his body can't withstand the style he is capable of playing. Kaepernick hasn't developed into a pocket passer. Despite having a great support cast the 49ers offense has struggled. Newton, who I feel is the best of the bunch is banged up. Newton also hasn't developed well enough as a pocket guy. We have seen the likes of Vick and Vince Young flame out. Is a running QB what we want? Can Mariota or Hundley play in the pocket or are they more of the same?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams are in the market for a QB. The three names mentioned are Winston, Mariota, and Hundley. Winston is a guy who can play from the pocket, he can run but I don't consider him a running QB. He reminds me of Big Ben. He even has the rape allegations Ben has had. I digress. In 2012 people said the running QB was in. In 2014 the tune has changed a bit. RGIII has shown he can't play in the pocket and his body can't withstand the style he is capable of playing. Kaepernick hasn't developed into a pocket passer. Despite having a great support cast the 49ers offense has struggled. Newton, who I feel is the best of the bunch is banged up. Newton also hasn't developed well enough as a pocket guy. We have seen the likes of Vick and Vince Young flame out. Is a running QB what we want? Can Mariota or Hundley play in the pocket or are they more of the same?

Other than Steve Young, who was a complete fluke for a variety of reasons, running QB's just don't work in the NFL.

I don't want the Rams to draft a guy who is going to get hurt a lot, we already have one of those and it makes life tough as a fan!!!

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mobile is fine, but passer first.
Agree. There is a difference between a guy that can move and a guy that is quick to run. Running QBs can be exciting, but a QB has to thrive in the pocket.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Didn't a running quarterback just win a Super Bowl? I understand Wilson is good in the pocket too and Seattle won other ways, however, he's a running quarterback and won!

IMO you want a combination like Wilson, Rodgers & Cam Newton for example.

FRO

Legend
Didn't a running quarterback just win a Super Bowl? I understand Wilson is good in the pocket too and Seattle won other ways, however, he's a running quarterback and won!

Wilson is a guy that can play in the pocket and runs when he needs to. Kaepernick and RGIII aren't so good in the pocket.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Wilson is the great mobile QB, good in the pocket and only runs when he has to. Could be a touch taller I guess

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Rodgers level of mobility... Combined with his exceptional passing talent. P E R F E C T. Steve Young was the perfect blend as well.

These guys that run but can't read the field (Kaeperdick, RG3) - NO THANK YOU.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

SEA special teams and defense outscores the Broncos that day so yeah he has a ring but he didn't win that game.

FRO

Legend
I like Rodgers level of mobility... Combined with his exceptional passing talent. P E R F E C T. Steve Young was the perfect blend as well.

I'm worried Mariota may fall into that category. He may not. In college he hasn't had to sit and read. He is normally throwing to a wide open target, or he is running. I just wish he played in a system that translates better so we could get a better read on the guy.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The duel threat so-called running QB can work with the right offensive mind who allows the player to play to his strengths and has a TRUE commitment to run the football. And just like any QB, you have to put some talent around him.

Where these kids go sour is when coaches lacking creativity may allow them to play to their strengths early, but then try to make traditional pocket passers out of these guys.

Last I checked, Russell Wilson has run for almost 700 yards so far this season and probably makes the vast majority of his plays outside of the pocket. Like him or hate him, Carroll and company get it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I'd give up the next three drafts, every pick, for ARodgers for those three years.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm worried Mariota may fall into that category. He may not. In college he hasn't had to sit and read. He is normally throwing to a wide open target, or he is running. I just wish he played in a system that translates better so we could get a better read on the guy.

If what you're saying is true and I know you watch college ball (I watch none) then I don't want the guy. I have yet to see a QB develop the ability to read defenses in the NFL after coming out of a college where they didn't have to or only viewed half the field.

It never works.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Kaepernick is a classic example of my point. The 49ers were winning via a strong defense and commitment to run the football which included him. This year, they go out and get a bunch of WRs, the OC gets pass happy, they try to make a pocket passer out of him and viola.

FRO

Legend
If what you're saying is true and I know you watch college ball (I watch none) then I don't want the guy. I have yet to see a QB develop the ability to read defenses in the NFL after coming out of a college where they didn't have to or only viewed half the field.

It never works.
I haven't watched much college football this year so don't take my word for anything. From what I've seen from him in the past he hasn't had to sit and read. That's not to say he can't, I'm just not sure he can.

Another question to ask is if Mariota would even fit what Fisher wants to do. Fisher likes ball control offense. Mariota plays a fast pace spread offense.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

It never works.

The problem is in college, majority of QBs run a spread offense where they don't have to read defenses and they have easy decisions and wide open receivers. It works in college. So most of the QBs in this draft have never really had to read any complex defenses and read their progressions and they'll have to be taught to do so.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I haven't watched much college football this year so don't take my word for anything. From what I've seen from him in the past he hasn't had to sit and read. That's not to say he can't, I'm just not sure he can.

Another question to ask is if Mariota would even fit what Fisher wants to do. Fisher likes ball control offense. Mariota plays a fast pace spread offense.

The fast paced spread worries me too. NFL teams use that in spurts, but not as an entire game plan, it doesn't seem to be productive at the pro level. Philly is a bit of an exception, but they have an OL that is like the Great Wall.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kaepernick is a classic example of my point. The 49ers were winning via a strong defense and commitment to run the football which included him. This year, they go out and get a bunch of WRs, the OC gets pass happy, they try to make a pocket passer out of him and viola.

Or defenses found a better way to defend him. He tried to scramble and run against Seattle. They spied him and did a good job with their DL of being assignment sound. He had nowhere to run and without anywhere to run, the guy couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

At some point, you have to have the ability to win from the pocket because teams will find a way to stop you.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Or defenses found a better way to defend him. He tried to scramble and run against Seattle. They spied him and did a good job with their DL of being assignment sound. He had nowhere to run and without anywhere to run, the guy couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

At some point, you have to have the ability to win from the pocket because teams will find a way to stop you.

Well Seattle stopped pocket passing Peyton Manning, too. Strong defenses don't play favorites.

Anyway, there is scrambling and designed runs. The 49ers need to have more of the latter AND more of a commitment to running the football altogether. Even Frank Gore has become an afterthought. That's where his passing success came from in the past. off their running game.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Running QBs thrive off lesser teams. When confronted by a decent defense they fold like a bad poker hand. They're great for winning ESPN time, but bad for winning important games.