The Rams should take a chance on former No.3 overall pick EDGE Dion Jordan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Haha no brownie points for knowing who Mewelde Moore is I see...LOL. I like the idea but still have never heard of Morgan.
Either had I really (I read a FA scouting report), I was more making a point......not making it well.....about approach.
I do remember Mewelde actually.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's nothing to do with throwing a bold article out there and crapping on you for it jake. The idea of signing (taking a flyer) and using up a roster spot on an injury prone veteran with wishful thinking upside, combined with his 2013/2014 NFL game snaps, is just very easy to shoot down for many Rams fans that have been on this bridge too many times recently.

Quinton Coples had better film and gave some of us a little hope and that failed flyer is too fresh on the memory. Dion Jordan is even more of a long shot than Coples was and the Rams in McVay's first season are likely going to be very savvy and cautions to consider players of Jordan's pedigree and history.

I recently wrote up a vent about letting Groy get away and I expected some backlash but I didn't take any of the negative responses as attacks are being crapped on. I actually felt better about losing him when I read all the responses. Can't hit a home run every time and constructive criticisms and rude like responses come with the territory.

When writing articles, blogs or well thought out opinions on forums like ROD you will get some harsh opinions and disagreements from very knowledgeable and witty Rams/NFL fans. You need to have thick skin and realize you will put some duds out there sometimes even if it felt good while you were writing it before you eventually posted.

orps8rXPTTWKIFbeMPDh7zIeRdePgN0EbnhpNerAUSHNq3ecVL6u1vzPtIcuR7WaAxUh=s85
I didn't really mean ROD. I get most negative comments on facebook and reddit. ROD is mostly positive or very constructive.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Either had I really (I read a FA scouting report), I was more making a point......not making it well.....about approach.
I do remember Mewelde actually.
Haha hey I did the same with Groy and then two hours later everyone thought I was a genius when word came out they were meeting with him. :p

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Sometimes it's about timing.
You had the good sense to get his last name correct though!!
OH MY GOD! So I'm not the only one who finds it obnoxious everyone called if Kroy or Gory? Cool I am glad I am not the only one haha

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/27/dolphins-dion-jordan-seem-overdue-to-part/

Dolphins, Dion Jordan seem overdue to split
Posted by Michael Gehlken on March 27, 2017

181594306-e1464630881675.jpg
Getty Images

It remains likely a matter of when, not if, the Dolphins will part with former No. 3 overall pick Dion Jordan.

After Monday, a move seems that much more imminent.

According to Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post, Dolphins executive Mike Tannnebaum was asked three questions related to Jordan, including his likelihood of being on the roster when the team starts voluntary workouts in April. His responses read like writing on a wall.

Jordan, 27, has not played the past two seasons.

The defensive end’s career is marred mostly by suspensions for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy. Injuries and sub-par performance haven’t helped
stymie buyer’s regret from an aggressive trade up to draft him in 2013.

“Obviously from where he was selected to today, it’s not a move that’s worked out,” said Tannenbaum, the Dolphins’ executive vice president of football operations. “It’s pretty obvious. We’ll keep evaluating our roster and make moves when we feel it’s appropriate.”

Per Schad, on the topic of Jordan participating in the team’s April workouts, Tannenbaum said “our roster is always up for discussion.”

Jordan has played 26 career games, starting one. He’s logged 32 tackles with three sacks. Miami traded Oakland a second-round pick to move up nine spots for Jordan.

The Raiders used the second-round pick to draft now-Broncos offensive tackle Menelik Watson.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Always get an interesting perspective from what fans of other teams think of players. In this case, not good news for Dion Jordan. There were no positive comments on him. Sorry, @jakebogen95.
***********************************************************************************
http://www.finheaven.com/showthread...osh-Gordon&s=2864a6ed11e64396649b94bccdb93c0d

Should Miami swap DE Dion jordan for WR Josh Gordon ?

hmmm, a negative times a neg does make a positive but...a turd is a turd
----------
Yes, except one turd actually proved to be a star one year. I'd do the swap in a heartbeat, but we really don't need a WR....
----------
i wouldn't hold my breath for either of these guys to contribute to another nfl team
----------
JG is a 100% stud with big issues. Our turd has big issues with no stud at all in his brief history.
---------
i think there must be some plan for Jordan else he would be cut by now....heck maybe that plan is trade for a 7th round pick or something.
----------
And why would you trade a ghost for a ghost?
-----------
Jordan is a bum.
-----------
Jordan is absolutely worthless at this point.
Biggest bust in Dolphins history.
-----------
Yeah lets trade a turd for a piece of crap. SMH
----------
Why trade a pos with actual upside in Gordon for a POS that has showed no upside in Jordan.
-----------
If both got their heads screwed on right we'd get a pro bowl WR and they'd get a fringe DE.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah all the talk about 'changing the culture' makes bringing someone like this in, counterproductive.
Not that i disagree on not bringing this particular player in( no opinion on that)...
I believe the high roster turnover thus far is more inline with replacing a losing culture more so than a "bad character" culture.

Fisher's teams were no worse than half the other teams in the NFL in terms of off-field issues i'm sure.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not that i disagree on not bringing this particular player in( no opinion on that)...
I believe the high roster turnover thus far is more inline with replacing a losing culture more so than a "bad character" culture.

Fisher's teams were no worse than half the other teams in the NFL in terms of off-field issues i'm sure.

True - A player like Hayes is a much of a class act as there was. Fisher was a players coach & did very well in changing the character of The Rams locker room. Spags talked a good game , but left a bad stench !!!

Fisher & The Rams have been so young that a winning veteran preasence right now is needed. Plus McVay wants guys that buy in & have high football IQ who work hard &!love & respect there craft(football) .

I think this franchise has finally made a right turn . Trust Waze & it will get you there. Just keep moving forward.
I can actually start to picture maybe a Rams Raider SuperBowl again.
Houston had a chance to win one(won) in there own stadium as first team ever.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/31/dolphins-part-ways-with-dion-jordan/

Dolphins part ways with Dion Jordan
Posted by Josh Alper on March 31, 2017

453329757-e1453898373908.jpg
Getty Images

The writing has been on the wall for some time and the end of Dion Jordan’s time with the Dolphins will come on Friday.

Per multiple reports, the Dolphins will waive Jordan with the failed physical designation. The defensive end has not played in a regular season game since the 2014 season due to a year-long suspension and a knee injury that kept him out after he was reinstated.

Dolphins executive vice president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum said recently that it was “pretty obvious” that things have not worked out for a player that the Dolphins made the third overall pick of the 2013 draft, which pointed toward the move that will end Jordan’s tenure in Miami. Jordan played just 26 games and made one start while recording three sacks.

The move pares over $3.2 million from the team’s cap and gives Jordan a chance to try for better results with a different team, although neither his play in Miami nor his extended layoff do much to inspire hope that things will play out that way.

Disappointment has turned out to be the theme of the 2013 first round across the board. Fifteen of the 32 players selected in the round are no longer with their original teams, including eight of the first 12 picks.

UPDATE 4:05 p.m. ET: The Dolphins have announced the move.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-dion-jordan-in-2013-and-the-lesson-from-it/

What was said about Dion Jordan in 2013, and the lesson from it
Posted by Michael Gehlken on March 31, 2017

Woooooah! Woooooah!

Woooah-woooah-woooah!

And so it began in 2013, the NFL Network booth reacting to Commissioner Roger Goodell’s podium announcement of Dion Jordan as the Dolphins’ selection at No. 3 overall following a trade with the Raiders. The analysts expected tackle Lane Johnson, hence their surprise. That reaction is not to be faulted.

What was said afterward, and in the weeks before, is where the lesson comes.

When projecting draft prospects, no one knows for certain.

The Dolphins finally released Jordan on Friday, ending months of expectation. The ex-Oregon defensive end totaled the same number of suspensions for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, three, as he did sacks in Miami. His regard in 2013 speaks equally to Jordan’s talent level as to there being few guarantees in scouting.

Here is what was said after Jordan was selected.

Mike Mayock: “This young man, I think he’s got the potential to be the player that I compare him to, which is Jason Taylor, who ironically played for the Miami Dolphins. I also think he looks a little bit like an Aldon Smith, and if he puts on 20 pounds on that 6-foot-7 frame, some day he might be as good as a DeMarcus Ware. He’s got that kind of edge speed.”

Steve Mariucci: “You know, I talked to his coach Nick Aliotti the other day, his defensive coordinator at Oregon. And he said this kid loves football. He loves to play. He loves to practice. He’s fully committed right now to football. This guy has got everything that it takes not only to rush the passer but to drop into coverage at over 6-6. This guy, when he puts on a little muscle, he’s going to be dynamite.”

Marshall Faulk: “Dion Jordan is the guy that you don’t have to scheme to get a sack. He gets you a sack. And if you’re going to to compete against the New England Patriots two times a year, you have to be able to just beat a guy 1-on-1 and get a sack and not blitz Tom Brady. You need this guy.”

That was the immediate reaction to Jordan’s selection.

Mayock stood out in a key area, doing well to say what Jordan could be as opposed to will be.

Pre-draft chatter included this from Bleacher Report: “If a player is going to be considered a ‘can’t-miss’ prospect, he needs to have a combination of elite physical traits, sound technical football skills and be free of character flaws. Oregon linebacker Dion Jordan may not be the first player selected on Thursday night, but when you consider the combination of athleticism and versatility he brings to the table, there is no way Jordan will fail to produce in the NFL.”

Jon Gruden anchored the ESPN broadcast’s reaction to Jordan’s selection.

He had his doubts.

“I really like Dion Jordan’s athleticism, but I’m shocked about this pick,” Gruden said. “When I watch Dion Jordan play, Mel (Kiper), I just don’t see him play. And this isn’t any false information. When you watch Oregon play, he doesn’t play against Cal because he’s hurt. But they play almost like hockey.

He plays six plays; he’s out six plays. When you watch Dion Jordan play seven snaps in an NFL game, that’ll be the first time you’ve ever seen him do it. … He’s a great athlete, but there’s a lot of unknown right now at third overall.”

Plenty of love will be shown toward prospects during and after the April 27 to 29 draft.

It’s best digested with a grain of salt.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
That is so cool to read this and interesting...It makes me wonder if Gruden is actually the best expert on the air right now. Kiper has lost a step, the guys on NFL Network are just insane, McShay is iffy for me. Idk I just think Gruden is the man I also think we have a Gruden in the making which makes me even more excited. I finally just watched Gruden's QB camp with Jared Goff the other night and I got to tell you I think he thinks Goff is going to be an elite QB and to be quite honest the way Gruden reacted to him made me feel more confident.

Now, on to Dion Jordan. I think at this point his stock is sooo low the Rams would have to at least bring him into camp. With that athleticism and how low his stock is...I think at worst you are getting a rare physical talent as a situational pass rusher. He doesn't have to start and there is no way he would right away. But, looking at how well Easley panned out I think the Rams need to consider Jordan. There's always two sides to every story, what I heard with Easley at first was distraction, locker room cancer, walking red flag etc. Then I looked into it and to be honest I think he just clashed with Matt Patricia. The Patriots knew they had to side with Patricia so they let Easley go. Patricia as I have said before is the heir in NE NOT McDaniels despite what many think...So they had to let Easley go and it worked out for both parties. Easley not can start this year as a DE with Donald and Brockers for the Rams. It speaks volume that the Rams tendered him as well. If McVay and Phillips didn't think he would have a viable role, then no tender would have been made.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-dion-jordan-in-2013-and-the-lesson-from-it/

What was said about Dion Jordan in 2013, and the lesson from it
Posted by Michael Gehlken on March 31, 2017

Woooooah! Woooooah!

Woooah-woooah-woooah!

And so it began in 2013, the NFL Network booth reacting to Commissioner Roger Goodell’s podium announcement of Dion Jordan as the Dolphins’ selection at No. 3 overall following a trade with the Raiders. The analysts expected tackle Lane Johnson, hence their surprise. That reaction is not to be faulted.

What was said afterward, and in the weeks before, is where the lesson comes.

When projecting draft prospects, no one knows for certain.

The Dolphins finally released Jordan on Friday, ending months of expectation. The ex-Oregon defensive end totaled the same number of suspensions for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, three, as he did sacks in Miami. His regard in 2013 speaks equally to Jordan’s talent level as to there being few guarantees in scouting.

Here is what was said after Jordan was selected.

Mike Mayock: “This young man, I think he’s got the potential to be the player that I compare him to, which is Jason Taylor, who ironically played for the Miami Dolphins. I also think he looks a little bit like an Aldon Smith, and if he puts on 20 pounds on that 6-foot-7 frame, some day he might be as good as a DeMarcus Ware. He’s got that kind of edge speed.”

Steve Mariucci: “You know, I talked to his coach Nick Aliotti the other day, his defensive coordinator at Oregon. And he said this kid loves football. He loves to play. He loves to practice. He’s fully committed right now to football. This guy has got everything that it takes not only to rush the passer but to drop into coverage at over 6-6. This guy, when he puts on a little muscle, he’s going to be dynamite.”

Marshall Faulk: “Dion Jordan is the guy that you don’t have to scheme to get a sack. He gets you a sack. And if you’re going to to compete against the New England Patriots two times a year, you have to be able to just beat a guy 1-on-1 and get a sack and not blitz Tom Brady. You need this guy.”

That was the immediate reaction to Jordan’s selection.

Mayock stood out in a key area, doing well to say what Jordan could be as opposed to will be.

Pre-draft chatter included this from Bleacher Report: “If a player is going to be considered a ‘can’t-miss’ prospect, he needs to have a combination of elite physical traits, sound technical football skills and be free of character flaws. Oregon linebacker Dion Jordan may not be the first player selected on Thursday night, but when you consider the combination of athleticism and versatility he brings to the table, there is no way Jordan will fail to produce in the NFL.”

Jon Gruden anchored the ESPN broadcast’s reaction to Jordan’s selection.

He had his doubts.

“I really like Dion Jordan’s athleticism, but I’m shocked about this pick,” Gruden said. “When I watch Dion Jordan play, Mel (Kiper), I just don’t see him play. And this isn’t any false information. When you watch Oregon play, he doesn’t play against Cal because he’s hurt. But they play almost like hockey.

He plays six plays; he’s out six plays. When you watch Dion Jordan play seven snaps in an NFL game, that’ll be the first time you’ve ever seen him do it. … He’s a great athlete, but there’s a lot of unknown right now at third overall.”

Plenty of love will be shown toward prospects during and after the April 27 to 29 draft.

It’s best digested with a grain of salt.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
If Fisher was still the coach and Jordan fit on his D, would think that would be a move the rams would make. But going forward, with McVay as coach, would rather the rams stay away from Fisher type moves. Would rather want the rams to draft a DE.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
If Fisher was still the coach and Jordan fit on his D, would think that would be a move the rams would make. But going forward, with McVay as coach, would rather the rams stay away from Fisher type moves. Would rather want the rams to draft a DE.
That's fair to say and I respect it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
.It makes me wonder if Gruden is actually the best expert on the air right now.
Gruden is the real deal....He is connected in a way that McShay & Kiper could only dream of. But Chucky also has his limitations. We should all know by now, talent is one thing....off field demons a whole other monster.
The Patriots knew they had to side with Patricia so they let Easley go. Patricia as I have said before is the heir in NE NOT McDaniels despite what many think.
Ohh really?!? I always thought when Brady leaves, so would Josh McDaniels. Matt Patricia is some sort of genius....Would love to see what happens when Belichick does hang them up...and I'd suspect that won't be for several...like 10 to 12 years. How old is Bill B.?

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Gruden is the real deal....He is connected in a way that McShay & Kiper could only dream of. But Chucky also has his limitations. We should all know by now, talent is one thing....off field demons a whole other monster.
Ohh really?!? I always thought when Brady leaves, so would Josh McDaniels. Matt Patricia is some sort of genius....Would love to see what happens when Belichick does hang them up...and I'd suspect that won't be for several...like 10 to 12 years. How old is Bill B.?
Bill B is 64.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
I usually agree with your opinion not here though.
McVay seems to look for smart dedicated football players who produce on the field.
James is a gifted physical specimen but the other points don't apply.

Just can't see it happening.