The Rams should take a chance on former No.3 overall pick EDGE Dion Jordan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
The Rams should take a chance on former No.3 overall pick EDGE Dion Jordan
227364_92e4c04455d5480c9e1c35426c111b4c~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...e-on-former-No3-overall-pick-EDGE-Dion-Jordan

The Miami Dolphins are reportedly going to cut ties with their former 2013 third overall pick Dion Jordan. Could a change of scenery help the disgruntled pass rusher?

The Los Angeles Rams are going through a scheme change with new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and because of it they now lack 3-4 outside linebacker depth. With Jordan likely to be cut the Rams may have to give him a chance. Why you may ask? The Rams have two starters on the outside with Robert Quinn and newly signed Connor Barwin but after those two...there is not much. Ethan Westbrooks is likely to be part of a rotation but outside of the that it would likely be a question mark after that. The questions to ask are: "Where does Josh Forrest fit?" and "Is there anyone else that will play on the outside?". If you can't envision Forrest or anyone else on the roster helping out on the outside then it is time to find someone.

That someone is Dion Jordan. Jordan again, disgruntled and has been a huge disappointment. However, I believe the 27-year old just needs a change of scenery and a great coach like Phillips. I had Jordan in my prediction to go to the Rams before the off-season even began and it just makes too much sense. Remember when the Rams signed a first-rounder that had some character issues and disappointment? That ended up paying off big time last season with Dominique Easley. Easley is a player who was brought in on a minimum deal to be a rotational defensive tackle. He ended up having a great year so he was brought back and will likely start as a defensive end in Phillips system. Jordan would likely be aiming to do the same, I'm not saying he should receive a huge deal but I am saying giving him a veteran minimum "prove-it" deal makes a lot of sense.

Jordan has some bigger red flags than Easley which could be the reason for not bringing him in. First off Jordan hasn't played since 2014. He's had some attitude problems and has been hit with substance abuse policy suspensions. However, it's real simple you give Jordan a non-guaranteed prove-it deal and you bring him into camp. When players have situations like Jordan they give all the leverage to the team that is interested in them, there wouldn't be negotiation with Jordan. He would either agree to come in and play for no money and on a prove it deal or he wouldn't because no one in the league is going to pay him more than the veteran minimum.

This is likely the last chance for Jordan, if he can't receive a wake up call, he will likely be done in the NFL. He has the talent and monster size (6-foot-6. 275 pound) that doesn't make it easy to pass up on. His next NFL team would likely ask him to shred ten pounds since he would be more of a tweener at that weight. If Jordan were to take this last chance seriously he could be the future starting outside linebacker for the Rams.

What are your thoughts Rams fans? Sound off below!
Nope....He just doesn't seem to be in the mold to build around the "four pillars" .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't see him suddenly becoming a good NFL player. I couldn't believe he got drafted in the first round let alone the 2nd or 3rd.

BTW I am a big Oregon Ducks fan so it's not like I'm hating on the program.
Could he play while at Oregon?

The vets we acquired....specifically Barwin....is who I'm rooming Jordan with....low cost, very low risk flier type FA. I can't see any downside.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He had chronic (see what I did there) shoulder issues while at Oregon that were covered up by Chip Kelly. He was part of the group that had lots of issues with weed.

I don't see him suddenly becoming a good NFL player. I couldn't believe he got drafted in the first round let alone the 2nd or 3rd.

BTW I am a big Oregon Ducks fan so it's not like I'm hating on the program.

I couldn't believe he was a first round pick either. I didn't see a potentially great football player.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My thoughts are no. You gave the exact reason why not. He hasn't played since 2014. At least with Josh Gordon, the guy has proven to be a top talent when he's on the field. Jordan played like a bust when he was on the field.

Fans want to grab every single player like this. Few of them pan out. For all Easley's faults, he didn't spend two years away from football. And I'm still hesitant to trust Easley.
But for a non-guaranteed and minimum deal why not let him prove it? IF he doesn't bring it to camp we cut him plain and simple.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Dude is garbage. You want him because you predicted it? Bad rationale IMO.
Where did you see that I wanted him cause I predicted it lol? I want him because I am a fan of giving him a non-guaranteed minimum contract.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I was a fan of him coming out and have followed him quite closely. Complete and utter bust. Sure let him try out at training camp but that's gotta be about it as an investment.
That's what I'm saying. As soon as you throw a bold article out there people are all quick to shit on you. However, what you said is exactly what I meant. Bring him to camp on a non-guaranteed minimum contract.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
If it were me I would direct my precious little time & energy elsewhere.

Time is the key thing here as most will know. People like this normally suck up the top tier coaches time ( HC's or DC's or OC's ) have so little to waste. Every moment wasted on a person that has been given so much up to this point takes from the others. Fact is Jordan has been a problematic NFL employee player. I would not seek out players who pull my focus away from the players here that give their all. Conner Barwin is a very good opposite OLB'er example. He will come in here & provide many benefits from just his character & work ethic alone.

Your concerns over the OSLB'er cadre is highly warranted & will need some serious attention till the season begins & most likely continue after this season concludes. Josh Forrest may be capable of some small role as an OSLB'er but would expect Wade to seek to place him in a position that fits his skills & talents...that would be strong side interior LB'er. If Wade decides to keep Mo Alexander @ deep safety & place Barron back into his former Strong Safety role then Josh Forrest could very well up being Wade's starting ILB'er with Tree sliding over the weak side ILB'er post.

Dom Easley came to us & played @ a very low cost $$. Easley will once again play in 2017 @ a low moderate cost. He proved to be a very good rotation player He might see even more duties & responsibilities this season. Most of all his problems Easley encountered in NE Pats surrounded his injured knees situations. Easley first Rams season was a big positive turnaround due mainly to his physical health improvement. Easley proved to be able to produced without causing any power drain on the Ram Org. I fully understand @jrry32 concerns too. It will be an important season for Easley as he will be a UFA again next year at this time.

Jordan's situation is much more complicated & diverse.
You disagreed with me but absolutely killed it as always. Respect where respect is due. Thank you for an in depth response that made sense. I appreciate it.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
While I understand the interest in any highly drafted player based on potential there are guys like Moore from Seattle I would prefer.
Moore is a 2 down 3/4 OLB. He would not cost much and would provide solid depth while chipping away at Seattles depth.
Sign Moore and draft a couple of 3/4 OLB....that would be my approach.
Who is Moore? Mewelde Moore? I have never heard this Moore of which you speak...LOL

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Hell yeah....I saw this guy in college...Covers receivers like a db. Speed to burn. Only problem was lower body strength IMO. Won't cost hardly anything on a prove it deal with incentives laced in the agreement. Win-win.
THANK YOU!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
On a vet minimum maybe otherwise no thanks not worth it. Couldn't play or produce on a good Dolphins defense.
Vet minimum non-guaranteed was my point. Thanks for being open to my idea haha

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
In conclusion...I will say you all gave some valid arguments as to why you wouldn't want him. I also saw some guys on my side about why you would. I am not as passionate about bringing in Jordan as I am about Gordon but the thing is people need to check themselves (Not you guys but in general) if they are saying we should draft Ishmael Zamora (Dog beater), Joe Mixon (woman beater) and Dede Westbrook (woman beater). Jordan and Gordon aren't scumbags like that yet some people claim they are and are all for Zamora, Mixon and Westbrook. Seems really hypocritical to me.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
While I will almost always prefer young draftees with a high ceiling behind my starters, it doesn't always go down that way with availability. I've been met with either outright disdain or indifference to the idea of bringing Chris Long back to retire as a Ram, and its not just because of his history, but because I think he still has something left. True, he's never had to stand up as an edge rusher, neither has Quinn, but as a reserve OLB, i'd love to check him out. I believe he'd do well, and we need depth. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But for a non-guaranteed and minimum deal why not let him prove it? IF he doesn't bring it to camp we cut him plain and simple.

He's a waste of cap space and a roster spot. By your logic, we might as well go out and sign every failed early round pick because what you just said applies to just about any player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In conclusion...I will say you all gave some valid arguments as to why you wouldn't want him. I also saw some guys on my side about why you would. I am not as passionate about bringing in Jordan as I am about Gordon but the thing is people need to check themselves (Not you guys but in general) if they are saying we should draft Ishmael Zamora (Dog beater), Joe Mixon (woman beater) and Dede Westbrook (woman beater). Jordan and Gordon aren't scumbags like that yet some people claim they are and are all for Zamora, Mixon and Westbrook. Seems really hypocritical to me.

I don't care if you're a scumbag or not. I care if you're available to play. Gordon and Jordan haven't been available to play in years. And when Jordan last played, he wasn't any good. It's not hypocritical because it's not a moral judgement. It's a business decision.

But it's also clear that McVay wants to change the culture, so I don't expect we'll see him going after those guys. You never know, though.

fearsomefour

Legend
Who is Moore? Mewelde Moore? I have never heard this Moore of which you speak...LOL
Michael Morgan is who I meant, haha. Not too close.
Anyway, taking a vet depth guy within our division (with 3 other 3/4 teams) was more my point.
Draft at least one long term OLB in the draft and savior a big contract for depth.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Michael Morgan is who I meant, haha. Not too close.
Anyway, taking a vet depth guy within our division (with 3 other 3/4 teams) was more my point.
Draft at least one long term OLB in the draft and savior a big contract for depth.
Haha no brownie points for knowing who Mewelde Moore is I see...LOL. I like the idea but still have never heard of Morgan.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
As soon as you throw a bold article out there people are all quick to crap on you. However, what you said is exactly what I meant. Bring him to camp on a non-guaranteed minimum contract.

It's nothing to do with throwing a bold article out there and crapping on you for it jake. The idea of signing (taking a flyer) and using up a roster spot on an injury prone veteran with wishful thinking upside, combined with his 2013/2014 NFL game snaps, is just very easy to shoot down for many Rams fans that have been on this bridge too many times recently.

Quinton Coples had better film and gave some of us a little hope and that failed flyer is too fresh on the memory. Dion Jordan is even more of a long shot than Coples was and the Rams in McVay's first season are likely going to be very savvy and cautions to consider players of Jordan's pedigree and history.

I recently wrote up a vent about letting Groy get away and I expected some backlash but I didn't take any of the negative responses as attacks are being crapped on. I actually felt better about losing him when I read all the responses. Can't hit a home run every time and constructive criticisms and rude like responses come with the territory.

When writing articles, blogs or well thought out opinions on forums like ROD you will get some harsh opinions and disagreements from very knowledgeable and witty Rams/NFL fans. You need to have thick skin and realize you will put some duds out there sometimes even if it felt good while you were writing it before you eventually posted.

orps8rXPTTWKIFbeMPDh7zIeRdePgN0EbnhpNerAUSHNq3ecVL6u1vzPtIcuR7WaAxUh=s85