The Rams should take a chance on former No.3 overall pick EDGE Dion Jordan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
227364_92e4c04455d5480c9e1c35426c111b4c~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...e-on-former-No3-overall-pick-EDGE-Dion-Jordan

The Miami Dolphins are reportedly going to cut ties with their former 2013 third overall pick Dion Jordan. Could a change of scenery help the disgruntled pass rusher?

The Los Angeles Rams are going through a scheme change with new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and because of it they now lack 3-4 outside linebacker depth. With Jordan likely to be cut the Rams may have to give him a chance. Why you may ask? The Rams have two starters on the outside with Robert Quinn and newly signed Connor Barwin but after those two...there is not much. Ethan Westbrooks is likely to be part of a rotation but outside of the that it would likely be a question mark after that. The questions to ask are: "Where does Josh Forrest fit?" and "Is there anyone else that will play on the outside?". If you can't envision Forrest or anyone else on the roster helping out on the outside then it is time to find someone.

That someone is Dion Jordan. Jordan again, disgruntled and has been a huge disappointment. However, I believe the 27-year old just needs a change of scenery and a great coach like Phillips. I had Jordan in my prediction to go to the Rams before the off-season even began and it just makes too much sense. Remember when the Rams signed a first-rounder that had some character issues and disappointment? That ended up paying off big time last season with Dominique Easley. Easley is a player who was brought in on a minimum deal to be a rotational defensive tackle. He ended up having a great year so he was brought back and will likely start as a defensive end in Phillips system. Jordan would likely be aiming to do the same, I'm not saying he should receive a huge deal but I am saying giving him a veteran minimum "prove-it" deal makes a lot of sense.

Jordan has some bigger red flags than Easley which could be the reason for not bringing him in. First off Jordan hasn't played since 2014. He's had some attitude problems and has been hit with substance abuse policy suspensions. However, it's real simple you give Jordan a non-guaranteed prove-it deal and you bring him into camp. When players have situations like Jordan they give all the leverage to the team that is interested in them, there wouldn't be negotiation with Jordan. He would either agree to come in and play for no money and on a prove it deal or he wouldn't because no one in the league is going to pay him more than the veteran minimum.

This is likely the last chance for Jordan, if he can't receive a wake up call, he will likely be done in the NFL. He has the talent and monster size (6-foot-6. 275 pound) that doesn't make it easy to pass up on. His next NFL team would likely ask him to shred ten pounds since he would be more of a tweener at that weight. If Jordan were to take this last chance seriously he could be the future starting outside linebacker for the Rams.

What are your thoughts Rams fans? Sound off below!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My thoughts are no. You gave the exact reason why not. He hasn't played since 2014. At least with Josh Gordon, the guy has proven to be a top talent when he's on the field. Jordan played like a bust when he was on the field.

Fans want to grab every single player like this. Few of them pan out. For all Easley's faults, he didn't spend two years away from football. And I'm still hesitant to trust Easley.

Zero

Pro Bowler
http://sports.yahoo.com/m/c5172428-8bbd-36c7-8b72-e4ae720e7a9b/ss_report:-dolphins-plan-to-cut.html

It’s been expected the Dolphins would release defensive end Dion Jordan for some time now, but as the league year begins, the player remains on the team’s roster. The former No. 3 overall selection missed all of the last two seasons because of injury and suspension, and has only started one game in his career. Salguero reports that Jordan weighs about 275 pounds and can’t run as well as he used to. Not only is Jordan lacking explosion, but is apparently dealing with some sort of non-football issue that team officials declined to discuss. Defensive line has been an area of focus for the Dolphins this offseason, with the team signing defensive ends Andre Branch and William Hayes, and adding Cameron
Wouldn't waste the roster spot.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Haven't heard from this guy since he was drafted. We could probably grab someone with a little better track record.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
227364_92e4c04455d5480c9e1c35426c111b4c~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...e-on-former-No3-overall-pick-EDGE-Dion-Jordan

The Miami Dolphins are reportedly going to cut ties with their former 2013 third overall pick Dion Jordan. Could a change of scenery help the disgruntled pass rusher?

The Los Angeles Rams are going through a scheme change with new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and because of it they now lack 3-4 outside linebacker depth. With Jordan likely to be cut the Rams may have to give him a chance. Why you may ask? The Rams have two starters on the outside with Robert Quinn and newly signed Connor Barwin but after those two...there is not much. Ethan Westbrooks is likely to be part of a rotation but outside of the that it would likely be a question mark after that. The questions to ask are: "Where does Josh Forrest fit?" and "Is there anyone else that will play on the outside?". If you can't envision Forrest or anyone else on the roster helping out on the outside then it is time to find someone.

That someone is Dion Jordan. Jordan again, disgruntled and has been a huge disappointment. However, I believe the 27-year old just needs a change of scenery and a great coach like Phillips. I had Jordan in my prediction to go to the Rams before the off-season even began and it just makes too much sense. Remember when the Rams signed a first-rounder that had some character issues and disappointment? That ended up paying off big time last season with Dominique Easley. Easley is a player who was brought in on a minimum deal to be a rotational defensive tackle. He ended up having a great year so he was brought back and will likely start as a defensive end in Phillips system. Jordan would likely be aiming to do the same, I'm not saying he should receive a huge deal but I am saying giving him a veteran minimum "prove-it" deal makes a lot of sense.

Jordan has some bigger red flags than Easley which could be the reason for not bringing him in. First off Jordan hasn't played since 2014. He's had some attitude problems and has been hit with substance abuse policy suspensions. However, it's real simple you give Jordan a non-guaranteed prove-it deal and you bring him into camp. When players have situations like Jordan they give all the leverage to the team that is interested in them, there wouldn't be negotiation with Jordan. He would either agree to come in and play for no money and on a prove it deal or he wouldn't because no one in the league is going to pay him more than the veteran minimum.

This is likely the last chance for Jordan, if he can't receive a wake up call, he will likely be done in the NFL. He has the talent and monster size (6-foot-6. 275 pound) that doesn't make it easy to pass up on. His next NFL team would likely ask him to shred ten pounds since he would be more of a tweener at that weight. If Jordan were to take this last chance seriously he could be the future starting outside linebacker for the Rams.

What are your thoughts Rams fans? Sound off below!

No way send him to the Niners with all the other D-Lineman .

Connor Baldwin is the perfect fit.
The Rams have a full set of players , maybe they find a guy they can't pass on in the draft ?
Where is the cap space . There are better ways to spend.
-- Robert Quinn is going to break out. Last year his sister fell into hurdle which she had almost won. He was coming off the back injury.
He is taking a leadership role & all West Coact now !! He is the man to meet new D/ players. /- I remember him picking players for the pro bowl. -- A cool thing for him. He can't go out without winning.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
On a vet minimum maybe otherwise no thanks not worth it. Couldn't play or produce on a good Dolphins defense.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
He seems to be a perfect fit for Jeff Fisher. Oh, wait....

fearsomefour

Legend
While I understand the interest in any highly drafted player based on potential there are guys like Moore from Seattle I would prefer.
Moore is a 2 down 3/4 OLB. He would not cost much and would provide solid depth while chipping away at Seattles depth.
Sign Moore and draft a couple of 3/4 OLB....that would be my approach.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Flyer 1 year prove it at Vet Minimum, can cut during the season and replace if needed. Take a flyer.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hell yeah....I saw this guy in college...Covers receivers like a db. Speed to burn. Only problem was lower body strength IMO. Won't cost hardly anything on a prove it deal with incentives laced in the agreement. Win-win.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If it were me I would direct my precious little time & energy elsewhere.

Time is the key thing here as most will know. People like this normally suck up the top tier coaches time ( HC's or DC's or OC's ) have so little to waste. Every moment wasted on a person that has been given so much up to this point takes from the others. Fact is Jordan has been a problematic NFL employee player. I would not seek out players who pull my focus away from the players here that give their all. Conner Barwin is a very good opposite OLB'er example. He will come in here & provide many benefits from just his character & work ethic alone.

Your concerns over the OSLB'er cadre is highly warranted & will need some serious attention till the season begins & most likely continue after this season concludes. Josh Forrest may be capable of some small role as an OSLB'er but would expect Wade to seek to place him in a position that fits his skills & talents...that would be strong side interior LB'er. If Wade decides to keep Mo Alexander @ deep safety & place Barron back into his former Strong Safety role then Josh Forrest could very well up being Wade's starting ILB'er with Tree sliding over the weak side ILB'er post.

Dom Easley came to us & played @ a very low cost $$. Easley will once again play in 2017 @ a low moderate cost. He proved to be a very good rotation player He might see even more duties & responsibilities this season. Most of all his problems Easley encountered in NE Pats surrounded his injured knees situations. Easley first Rams season was a big positive turnaround due mainly to his physical health improvement. Easley proved to be able to produced without causing any power drain on the Ram Org. I fully understand @jrry32 concerns too. It will be an important season for Easley as he will be a UFA again next year at this time.

Jordan's situation is much more complicated & diverse.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My thoughts are no. You gave the exact reason why not. He hasn't played since 2014. At least with Josh Gordon, the guy has proven to be a top talent when he's on the field. Jordan played like a bust when he was on the field.

Fans want to grab every single player like this. Few of them pan out. For all Easley's faults, he didn't spend two years away from football. And I'm still hesitant to trust Easley.
I agree completely! And I posted on another thread that I was hoping we would find a replacement for Easley in this Years Draft! JMHO!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
With vets outside in Quinn & Barwin, I look to the draft for depth. As it is, not sure where Westbrooks, Fox & Longacre are going to fit in this grouping. I'm still seeing Forrest as more of an ILB, but we'll see. jmo.

This quote scares the heck out of me :
"Salguero reports that Jordan weighs about 275 pounds and can’t run as well as he used to. Not only is Jordan lacking explosion, but is apparently dealing with some sort of non-football issue that team officials declined to discuss."

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
He had chronic (see what I did there) shoulder issues while at Oregon that were covered up by Chip Kelly. He was part of the group that had lots of issues with weed.

I don't see him suddenly becoming a good NFL player. I couldn't believe he got drafted in the first round let alone the 2nd or 3rd.

BTW I am a big Oregon Ducks fan so it's not like I'm hating on the program.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I was a fan of him coming out and have followed him quite closely. Complete and utter bust. Sure let him try out at training camp but that's gotta be about it as an investment.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If I were looking for a quality vet reserve with outstanding character, ... and a great locker room guy, I'd consider bringing in Chris Long, see how he performs standing, ... and let him possibly retire a Ram. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude is garbage. You want him because you predicted it? Bad rationale IMO.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He seems to be a perfect fit for Jeff Fisher. Oh, wait....

Like that DE Copels from NC(Jets) who played with Robert Quinn .
It's not worth kicking the tires on this guy.

The Rams have brought in solid veterans that should help the young players to develop. I think The Rams are finally building a solid base.

--Funny Spags & Billy D" always talked about building 4 pillars & the team inside out. Anyone heard from Jason Smith in awhile ?? Greg Robinson is moving to RT ?? Let's see if he can hold down the fort a little.