The oline a couple of observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well thats not true. I wanted Fisher here. The Rams got the best coach available that offseason. I was thrilled with the hire.

The Rams are a penalty machine year after year. Thats on Fisher period
Could be. But they were 13th in penalties in 2009, 13th in 2010, and 10th in 2011.
Maybe not ever having a veteran team, ever, is a culprit as well.

Speedr@m

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Could be. But they were 13th in penalties in 2009, 13th in 2010, and 10th in 2011.
Maybe not ever having a veteran team, ever, is a culprit as well.

could be but there are other teams that are young and dont lead the league in penalties... as you know that has followed Fisher from Tennessee

his teams lack discipline and it hurts...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
could be but there are other teams that are young and dont lead the league in penalties... as you know that has followed Fisher from Tennessee

his teams lack discipline and it hurts...
Is what it is, I guess. I wouldn't consider belichick a bad coach, but his team led the league in penalties last year.
A coach can only do so much, really. Benching players for it sounds like a fantastic idea, until you see who the replacements are.

Speedr@m

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is what it is, I guess. I wouldn't consider belichick a bad coach, but his team led the league in penalties last year.
A coach can only do so much, really. Benching players for it sounds like a fantastic idea, until you see who the replacements are.

It's is what it but I would love to see it change.

TexasRam

Legend
Care to elaborate? He's been getting solid reviews from mostly everyone.

Sure....

I've watched every snap of Rhaney this preseason over and over in slow mo, and for anyone that cares to do it you will notice the following:

When playing center early on in the preseason he was completely blown up by the DT allowing the DT to get all the way over to the edge in the backfield to destroy the run game. We are talking manhandled like Donald manhandles guards.

On multiple pass pro breakdowns where Foles is immediately pressured its constantly Grob and Rhaney getting blown back 5 yards and then ran around.

Thanes shows quickness and is able to be an asset on screens and pass pro switches/stunts, but he is unable to set and hold his ground, constantly pushed back 5 yards or just ran around.

Rhaneys main issue is he can't sustain a block. Pass pro or run game. Once engaged he quickly gets knocked off balance and loses the block. Grob once locked on can actually sustain the block, but Grob gets caught in a lateral dance with the DE. Once the DE dances left Grob quickly overcommits left and then the DE easily runs around the right (or vice versa).

I don't have the time to cite every play where Rhaney and Grob get abused but it's a reality on film and disturbing.

Grob has stength and is able to sustain once locked on whereas Rhaney has neither skill. Can't lock on and sustain and can't push his man off the spot. They both are having Defensive players use their quickness against them losing balance/anchor ability.

Grob looks like Jason Smith, too quick and off balance.

Barrett Jones and Havenstein are very similar, both sustain blocks a long time making them excellent blockers. Both move dlineman out of the play wherever the dlineman overcommits to. Both are patient lock on with great hand usage and show push in their game, especially Havenstein, getting to the second level blocks easily and effectively.

Havenstein obviously struggles right how on the outside edge rush sometimes. I don't know how bad an issue this will be or if he will need constant TE/Rb chipping help.

Saffold is a great blocker and real solid pass pro normally, he will
Need to move to LT unless Grob has a light bulb go on, figures out how to stop dancing and lock on etc.

Jamon Brown is really solid on tape. Not ready to call him pro bowl like a Fisher has. Brown doesn't get push like Saffold or Grob can in the run game, but he sustains all his blocks in the run and pass game and is just really solid.

I haven't reviewed the other lineman like Reynolds or
Whickman etc.

Here is my opening day lineup:

LT Saffold
LG Grob
C Jones
RG Brown
RT Havenstein

That's your best 5, it won't happen opening day because Fisher and co will be stubborn about Grob at LT., but that is our best chance to have success.

Just my 2 cents.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here is my opening day lineup:

LT Saffold
LG Grob
C Jones
RG Brown
RT Havenstein

That's your best 5, it won't happen opening day because Fisher and co will be stubborn about Grob at LT., but that is our best chance to have success.
You put Saffold anywhere but inside, and you're almost guaranteed an injury. That's not a knock on him, it's just the way it seems to always work out with him. Whenever he has to extend, he ends up on the ground.

TexasRam

Legend
You put Saffold anywhere but inside, and you're almost guaranteed an injury. That's not a knock on him, it's just the way it seems to always work out with him. Whenever he has to extend, he ends up on the ground.
ProbAbly true!

Grob at LT is guaranteed to get Foles killed.

Pick your poison.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ProbAbly true!

Grob at LT is guaranteed to get Foles killed.

Pick your poison.
I don't want either of those poisons, thank you very much.
But gun to my head, I'd work through G Rob's issues and keep Saffold healthy.
12 and 13 formations, here we come.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't want either of those poisons, thank you very much.
But gun to my head, I'd work through G Rob's issues and keep Saffold healthy.
12 and 13 formations, here we come.
We have to stick with G. Rob, he just needs experience, and as far as technique, people forget he had that foot surgery. That set him back quite a bit.