The oline a couple of observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
My observations of the O-Line. They are young and making mistakes. This is the grown man league and it takes time for kids to develop. How much money they are paid and where they were drafted should not be a factor in how we evaluate their development. We knew GRob was a project when we got him, and our leadership opted for upside over immediacy. It took B Quick three years to start to figure it out, GRob deserves the same. Brown and Havenstein are going to struggle. They are rookies. Rhaney is similar to GRob in athletic ability and upside...but he too will struggle. I expect Saffold, Barnes and Jones to perform. They've had multiple years to learn and develop....and if they can't do it now, it's time to move on. While I am not concerned about Saffold (other than health), the other two have been less than stellar.
All that said, I believe this group to be better than last year's group.

2015 GRob better than 2014 version (and the fragile) J Long
2015 Saffold equal to 2014 version
2015 Brown better than D. Joseph
2014 Wells slightly better than Jones/Barnes/Rhaney
2014 Barksdale equal to Havenstein?
I have not been impressed with any of the C candidates, however, I would still take them over Wells. Nothing against Wells and who knows how much have a green C will affect line calls, but, any of the three of them have a shot at improving (as witnesses by Rhaneys play at G). Wells gave his all but he was at the end of his rope.
Ever forward.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have not been impressed with any of the C candidates, however, I would still take them over Wells. Nothing against Wells and who knows how much have a green C will affect line calls, but, any of the three of them have a shot at improving (as witnesses by Rhaneys play at G). Wells gave his all but he was at the end of his rope.
Ever forward.

I watched that first half just focusing on Jones and he played well. Good technique in pass pro, from that perspective he was the least of this line's worries. And he did some good things in the run game too. The dude is smart and will let a guy penetrate the wrong way then turn and seal him. Not like the Colts have the best interior DL or anything, but Jones had two strong games in a row and will be fine at center IMO. Definite upgrade provided he can stay healthy.

If you look at that first half I swear most of the issues seemed to be GRob struggling. It demonstrated how one guy getting worked can really impact a line overall. The interior overall was solid, only complaint I have were the facemask penalties (WTF!?) and the running game. They're close though on the interior to playing pretty well and I think Saffold in there will make them a solid three.

Seattle is gonna attack the edges. GRob better be ready. HStein too, although of the two of them he looked a lot better simply because that spot you face the lesser pass rusher. So my big concern right now is LT and I worry about how the Rams will prepare for the Shehawks attacking through that side of the line. My guess is we'll see a lot of strong side left.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I watched that first half just focusing on Jones and he played well. Good technique in pass pro, from that perspective he was the least of this line's worries. And he did some good things in the run game too. The dude is smart and will let a guy penetrate the wrong way then turn and seal him. Not like the Colts have the best interior DL or anything, but Jones had two strong games in a row and will be fine at center IMO. Definite upgrade provided he can stay healthy.......
I can agree fully with the above Merlin. Barrett Jones. IF he gets the nod as starting OC will improve with every outing. I have no concerns with either Tim Barnes or Barrett Jones. It may very well be both these two working the OC post closely if one is banged up a bit. I feel like you this is a solid upgrade over the last 2 yrs @ center.

If by seasons end things do not work out real good with these two OC's (Jones/Barnes) then I am sure they have already have their eyes on OC Dan Voltz with a late 2nd day draft pick from where they located Havenstein from. Or there is a OC from closer digs named Evan Boehm from Missouri where Barnes dropped in from, he would be a 3rd day draft selection IMO. As far as Rhaney's play @ center....very uncomfortable with him there. He is ejected backwards too many times. But he is very mobile.
..... So my big concern right now is LT
I hear you big time. The lack of good overall play of Gerald Robinson would be my big story from this pre season thus far. I like nothing I am hearing or I am seeing from this serious OL talent. No reason for all this bunch of on field inconsistency at this point going into the last pre season game tonight. Yes I know he is still minus much experience in college in comparison to a Havenstein or a Brown but the talent level in GR is off the charts!

IMO the best surprise performance from an OL'er in the Colts game was 2nd half ORG Cody Wichmann who looked much better @ ORG than Rhaney did. We should see a ton of Cody tonight. Cody had a little limp going on in his lower leg but sure has no back up gear.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Care to elaborate? He's been getting solid reviews from mostly everyone.

Yeah, I'd like to hear more too.

I thought Rhaney did well at RG against the Colts. Let's not forget that this guy is effectively a rookie as well given his injury problems last season. He's also a 7th round pick and has been playing centre throughout TC but was moved to RG against Indy and showed a lot of potential (don't know if he has any previous experience playing guard but he looked like he does).

I'd also echo the positive noises being made about Reynolds as well. Between him and Rhaney alone we've got versatile and solid back ups certainly for the interior of the line but maybe at tackle too (in Reynolds' case).

My only concern about the line at this point is GRob which, unfortunately, is a big part of the line. I've no doubt he'll get there eventually but he scares me a little bit at this stage.

fearsomefour

Legend
IMO the best surprise performance from an OL'er in the Colts game was 2nd half ORG Cody Wichmann who looked much better @ ORG than Rhaney did. We should see a ton of Cody tonight. Cody had a little limp going on in his lower leg but sure has no back up gear.
Wichmann is a real G....not a C trying to switch or a T trying to switch. He was a physical beast at Fresno St., at least the time I saw them play.
I still like Rhaney potential at either C or G. Personally, I would still start Barnes over Jones. Jones was solid is pass pro vs. the Colts as was Barnes. I didn't see anything that jumped off the screen at me in the run game.
It is funny how quickly the interior line has gone from a black hole to have depth. Figuring Jones and Barnes are the Centers, who sticks at G? Saffold and Brown are the starters of course. Assuming the Rams keep 10 O lineman that would leave (I suppose) Reynolds, Rhaney and Donnal as the front runners. Chaney and Reynolds can play other positions and Wichmann is strictly a G as far as I know.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wichmann is a real G....not a C trying to switch or a T trying to switch. He was a physical beast at Fresno St., at least the time I saw them play.
I still like Rhaney potential at either C or G. Personally, I would still start Barnes over Jones. Jones was solid is pass pro vs. the Colts as was Barnes. I didn't see anything that jumped off the screen at me in the run game.
It is funny how quickly the interior line has gone from a black hole to have depth. Figuring Jones and Barnes are the Centers, who sticks at G? Saffold and Brown are the starters of course. Assuming the Rams keep 10 O lineman that would leave (I suppose) Reynolds, Rhaney and Donnal as the front runners. Chaney and Reynolds can play other positions and Wichmann is strictly a G as far as I know.

I agree as about usual.(y)

Five Starters would appear to be just about worked out now:
OLT-Robinson
OLG-Brown
OC-Barnes
ORG-Saffold
ORT-Havenstein

The main two top reserves (6th & 7th Ol'ers) IMO are set too:
ORT/OLG/ORG-Garrett Reynolds
OC/OLG- Barrett Jones

That leaves rookies ORT/ORG/OLG Andrew Donnal(4th rder), OLT Isaiah Battle(5th rder) OG Cody Wichmann (6th rder) & OC/ORG Demetruis Rhaney(7th rder) to fall into positions.

Not sure how bad Andrew Donnal is banged up/injured do you? Its going to be interesting how this plays out & just how many of these OL'ers they will try to insert in the 53 player roster. I sure do not see them letting Battle hit the open market, so I see him remaining as #8. So its down to Donnal,Wichmann& Rhaney.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I need to go back and watch the depth guys better; I really focused on the first half tbh.

What I really want to do is watch Battle. He hasn't caught my eye in a bad way which I think is a good thing. And if GRob doesn't start getting it together we might see Battle end up challenging for LT at some point. Really would like to hear Fish's take on him although granted he doesn't usually give up much to the media in terms of player development.

Did you watch Battle specifically?

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree as about usual.(y)

Five Starters would appear to be just about worked out now:
OLT-Robinson
OLG-Brown
OC-Barnes
ORG-Saffold
ORT-Havenstein

The main two top reserves (6th & 7th Ol'ers) IMO are set too:
ORT/OLG/ORG-Garrett Reynolds
OC/OLG- Barrett Jones

That leaves rookies ORT/ORG/OLG Andrew Donnal(4th rder), OLT Isaiah Battle(5th rder) OG Cody Wichmann (6th rder) & OC/ORG Demetruis Rhaney(7th rder) to fall into positions.

Not sure how bad Andrew Donnal is banged up/injured do you? Its going to be interesting how this plays out & just how many of these OL'ers they will try to insert in the 53 player roster. I sure do not see them letting Battle hit the open market, so I see him remaining as #8. So its down to Donnal,Wichmann& Rhaney.
I agree. I don't think they would expose Battle via the practice squad.
Reynolds and Jones have spots. So, 8 spots are gone. Between Rhaney, Wichmann and Donnal I think Rhaney is a make. But, that may be me wearing Demetrius googles. If Rhaney makes it I would assume Donnal would be the last gut as he plays T.
So, T depth would basically be Robinson/Havenstein/Battle/Reynolds RT/Saffold
G Saffold/Brown/Reynolds/Rhaney/Wichmann
C Jones/Barnes/Rhaney
I think either Donnal or Wichmann go to the practice squad.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I've watched the colts game now about 4 times with slow mo, focusing on the Oline.

Grob needs to swap with Saffold ASAP.

Rhaney is garbage.

Hav will need help with speed rushers.

I have to agree. Rhaney is athletic but loses at the point of attack consistently. Has looked terrible to me. Don't trust him at any position. Shocks me why he is always taking first string snaps.

Grob has not improved at all since last year. He is ok, but they really need him to be better than ok.

We knew coming in Hav would struggle against speed guys. That being said he has been solid.

Brown has been great for the record. The Rams nailed it with this pick. He has been the best lineman this preseason

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree. I don't think they would expose Battle via the practice squad.
Reynolds and Jones have spots. So, 8 spots are gone. Between Rhaney, Wichmann and Donnal I think Rhaney is a make. But, that may be me wearing Demetrius googles. If Rhaney makes it I would assume Donnal would be the last gut as he plays T.
So, T depth would basically be Robinson/Havenstein/Battle/Reynolds RT/Saffold
G Saffold/Brown/Reynolds/Rhaney/Wichmann
C Jones/Barnes/Rhaney
I think either Donnal or Wichmann go to the practice squad.

The only spot where I disagree with you is with Rhaney. I thinking he is a release & hope to pick up on PS. Its my belief that he is not needed with both OC's Barnes & Jones on the roster. The spot he has been working heavy lately @ OG.

Andrew Donnal has been worked @ ORT/OLG & ORG & done fair enough & very smart & can fill in nicely being 6-6/313 pounder. So having the ability to work in @ 3 posts is a plus & you already know he was a OLT very early.

Cody Wichmann is a very large body much bigger 6-6-320 pounder than originally posted he would make Rhaney (who is under 6-2 approx 302 pounds) look like a huge MLB'er. Wichmann has been MIA but he looked exceptionally good in his first pre season game & first trial since early OTA's. If Cody can show he can work other posts ORT/OLG & continue to look good??? Cody would be a nice strong young back up to Saffold.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Reynolds is shit, but we might need to start him the 1st couple weeks if Havenstein still isn't ready. Brown is young and makes mistakes as he should too, but he at least shines talent from time to time. Havenstein has continued to show that he just uses his body to get by on blocks. Doesn't finish plays either. Idk if just handing the starting job to this kid was the right idea.

Limey

Rookie
I'm a big Wichmann fan, so would favour keeping him. I think the Chiefs game is probably key for a few of them. Whoever plays well not only gives themselves a great shot of being kept on by the Rams, but also increases the danger of them being picked up by another team (thereby making it a riskier move for the Rams to try to PS them). If they are convinced about the potential of all of these young guys, they might just cut Barnes as a player who is less likely to be picked up by another team, but only if they think Jones and Rhaney are similar in ability to him now. I'm hoping for another strong showing from Wichmann, like when he finally got his chance after injury against the Colts. His combine numbers show that he has the speed to be a threat when pulling, and he wasn't pushed back at all last week, so I'm hopeful that he will do well again against KC and make them keep him.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
The only spot where I disagree with you is with Rhaney. I thinking he is a release & hope to pick up on PS. Its my belief that he is not needed with both OC's Barnes & Jones on the roster. The spot he has been working heavy lately @ OG.

Andrew Donnal has been worked @ ORT/OLG & ORG & done fair enough & very smart & can fill in nicely being 6-6/313 pounder. So having the ability to work in @ 3 posts is a plus & you already know he was a OLT very early.

Cody Wichmann is a very large body much bigger 6-6-320 pounder than originally posted he would make Rhaney (who is under 6-2 approx 302 pounds) look like a huge MLB'er. Wichmann has been MIA but he looked exceptionally good in his first pre season game & first trial since early OTA's. If Cody can show he can work other posts ORT/OLG & continue to look good??? Cody would be a nice strong young back up to Saffold.

Bonifay your dead on as I totally agree with I think all you assesments bro. Not that either of us are right by the way. I think Whichman see's as many snaps as they will let him have tonight and if he does as well as last week and no reinjury that caused his whole pre-season missed I think it will be Donnal and maybe Rhaney that have to clear to make our PS. Even though we will see Rhaney a boatload tonight too. I just want us to come out Injury Free MOST of all. Saffold starting on th 13th and get the bailing wire out as we are so Blessed to have Battle and Whichman and I'll even throw in Reynolds till the first two are much more polished.

I am starting to see a plan come together of course it will have as many ups and downs early as the stock market of late (very volitile). G.Rob. needs Saffold in his ear non-stop. Harkey is gonna be our saving grace as I see him or another TE on the line a lot early on. If our centers falter I'd give Wichman a shot in practice as you said he has no back up gear and I love that. Might not be able to wait on that other Badger to start NEXT season at center. Think our coaches thought at least one of the 3 guys would have stepped up bigger by now. Coach Paul is gonna have no voice by the first game. We'll have to hire a sub screamer for him with a note pad. I'm sure Coach Dickerson will be upstairs to get the best view of whats really goin on. So if you see an OL with a headset on its X rated what he's hearing on the sideline.

I'm buckled in and prayin for Foles to have MATRIX moves in dodging the flying bullets come week one. I'll be watching through my fingers with hands on face.:unsure: Best thing is our Defensive line is gonna do worse dammage to their horrible OL and I think we approach 10 sacks of #3 in the first game. We just can't have penalties and let that Kansas State phenom Lockett get a cheap one on returns and long 3rd downs to him also. He's so much better than Percy Harvin ever was. Not as quick but SMOOTH and classy for such a young kid. He'll be in running for ROY if healthy. Wilson may wanna call his mamma after the game.:ROFLMAO:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm a big Wichmann fan, so would favour keeping him. I think the Chiefs game is probably key for a few of them. Whoever plays well not only gives themselves a great shot of being kept on by the Rams, but also increases the danger of them being picked up by another team (thereby making it a riskier move for the Rams to try to PS them). If they are convinced about the potential of all of these young guys, they might just cut Barnes as a player who is less likely to be picked up by another team, but only if they think Jones and Rhaney are similar in ability to him now. I'm hoping for another strong showing from Wichmann, like when he finally got his chance after injury against the Colts. His combine numbers show that he has the speed to be a threat when pulling, and he wasn't pushed back at all last week, so I'm hopeful that he will do well again against KC and make them keep him.

Limey, if you have issues with our Ram OL'ers being ejected backwards (as I do ) at the snap of the ball.......you may want to just watch Cody Wichmann, this OL'er was a solid brick wall most of the time when on the field during the one half of the game.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ugh, just watched the game for the first time. I was hoping it wasn't as bad as some of what I have read regarding the OL, but GRob got beaten like a rented mule. I mean bad. Like as bad as I have seen a LT get worked. Hope that can get corrected somehow, but that is worrisome.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Also, Rhaney lookes amazing at guard....

Limey

Rookie
Limey, if you have issues with our Ram OL'ers being ejected backwards (as I do ) at the snap of the ball.......you may want to just watch Cody Wichmann, this OL'er was a solid brick wall most of the time when on the field during the one half of the game.
I liked his combine numbers, but it was the fact that he wasn't pushed off the line last week that cemented his place on my "rooting for" list. Particularly given the problems you referred to with some of his colleagues.

ram007

Starter
With center, LT, RT struggling Rams may go Rex Ryan style, run 49 times and pass 18 times in a game. Thank God we have Todd Gurley. Oh wait....

Speedr@m

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You've never been a Fisher fan, which is fine he has people that love him and hate him. But its still just the pre season. I'll wait until the bullets are flying before I say "hot seat".

Well thats not true. I wanted Fisher here. The Rams got the best coach available that offseason. I was thrilled with the hire.

The Rams are a penalty machine year after year. Thats on Fisher period