The Official Pink Floyd thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Hey Mojo...
just curious, if someone were to ask you why you love Pink Floyd so much, what words would you use in response?

To be honest, I find their music to be depressing as fuck. I don't know much of their stuff except for "The Wall." I listened to the Wall (and saw the Movie also) when I was 15 and a high school junior in 1985, usually when stoned. I saw a reviewer who described the movie as "seething with anger, alienation, and despair." That about sums up my stoned reaction when I was 15. "Goodbye cruel world?" "I have become comfortably numb"? I remember thinking, "I don't ever wanna listen to this music again when I'm high, it's just too damn painful."

Anyway... I ask this question just out of respectful curiosity. You are obviously a huge fan. So obviously you have a totally different relationship to the music that I do. For the songs that express hopelessness or cynicism or despair... your reaction is....?

As I say, just curious.
Well idk, I feel like it’s like explaining why one loves the Beatles or The Rolling Stones. I’ll try though.

First off their very early stuff was just “okay” IMO. I don’t see the brilliance of Syd Barrett. Many fans will disagree with me there.

Once Gilmour settled in, the magic began.

You mentioned depressing lyrics and the overall dark tones. See, I’m attracted to darker music in general. Sonically more so than lyrically, but I can appreciate Waters’ visceral style. Their sound and lyrics never made me depressed. Tbh I never really understood that notion. Maybe because I’m a musician myself?

I find darker music more interesting than lighter “fun” music. It could be that whole minor vs major chord thing goin on there.

Like for instance I like Van Halen, but there was nothing prolific or interesting in Van Halen lyrically, and sonically it offered up some great rock n roll and guitar virtuosity but nothing that really moved me inside.

I guess the bottom line for me is that Floyd were just more interesting and sonically pleasing than just about everyone else.

Btw, I feel like by the time Waters finished the Animals record which was IMO brilliant lyrically as well as sonically…his stuff became almost too personal. The Wall is a great accomplishment as a whole but aside from a handful of songs I find a good portion of it to be a bit dull and pretentious. Not depressing.

Meddle thru Animals is one of the greatest four consecutive album releases ever IMO.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Mojo... I agree with everything you have stated in this thread, even tho I just found it -lol. Pink Floyd was the best bands ever. And the four albums you mention above were the best. Cheers.

Vapor

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Vapor
I have seen Pink Floyd twice, in mid 80"s and in 94 in Oakland Ca, great shows. It rained on the 80's show, but loved evey minute of it. Seen Roger Water's "The Wall" in Las Vegas a few years back. Also a great show. would love to see them again or Brit Floyd.

Dirigo

Rookie
Name
Andrew
IMG_0488.jpeg

Hats off to (Roy) Harper for his led vocals on “Have A Cigar”!

…oh, by the way, which one’s Pink?

Last edited:

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can listen to Gilmore playing the guitar all day long. Wish You Were Here always brings my mom to mind. Absolutely love Poles Apart and the Division Bell Album.

Dirigo

Rookie
Name
Andrew
It’s unfortunate that Roger Waters and Pink Floyd parted ways. Although Gilmour & Co produced some decent albums after the break up, they would’ve been much stronger with Waters. RW was a superb song writer.