The Official Pink Floyd thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/06/david-gilmour-will-tour-north-america-in-2016/

David Gilmour will tour North America in 2016
Plus, preview two new songs: "Girl with a Yellow Dress" and "Boots on the Ground"
BY ALEX YOUNG

screen-shot-2015-06-09-at-12-12-04-pm.png

Appearing at the Borris House Festival of Writing and Ideas in Carlow, Ireland last weekend, David Gilmour revealed several new details about his new solo album, including its title: Rattle That Lock. Now, Brain Damage, a monthly Pink Floyd podcast, has shared even more news from the event. In a Q&A with fans, Gilmour confirmed that he plans to tour North America in 2016.

The forthcoming jaunt will mark Gilmour’s first tour of America in a decade. His last outing came in 2006 behind his last solo album, On an Island. Prior to crossing the Atlantic, however, Gilmour will play a number of shows in the UK and Europe in September. You can find his current tour itinerary below.

Brain Damage also has audio of the two songs Gilmour previewed during last weekend’s event. Scroll to the 1:29:30 mark to hear snippets of “Girl with a Yellow Dress” and “Boots on the Ground” as well as details of the tour.

David Gilmour 2015 Tour Dates:09/12 – Pula, HR @ Arena Pula
09/14 – Verona, IT @ Verona Arena
09/15 – Florence, IT @ Teatro Le Mulina
09/17 – Orange, FR @ Theatre Antique
09/19 – Oberhausen, DE @ König Pilsener Arena
09/23 – London, UK @ The Royal Albert Hall
09/24 – London, UK @ The Royal Albert Hall
09/25 – London, UK @ The Royal Albert Hall

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Click link below to watch videos.
http://classicrock.teamrock.com/new...launches-2-track-teasers-rattle-that-lock-5am

Hear clips from solo album opener 5 A.M.

David Gilmour has released two teasers for his track 5 A.M. from solo album Rattle That Lock.

The former Pink Floyd frontman will launch the follow-up to 2006’s On An Island on September 18.

Gilmour recently told Classic Rock of his inspiration: “I honestly don’t know how it happens, actually. Whatever arrives, we just go with it. I don’t have a plan. We work on it until it starts making sense, and then we cut a few things out and concentrate on what we’ve got going for us.

“I think I’m quite lucky that – like ’em or not – my voice and my guitar playing are distinctive. They’re me and recognisably so, and that ties everything together.”

Rattle That Lock is available for pre-order now. Gilmour launches a sold-out solo tour on September 12. Pink Floyd are the cover stars of the current edition of Classic Rock, on sale now in print, digital and via TeamRock+.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still have my Dad's original vinyl from '73.
My Dad and his buddies would come over every weekend, get high and play new records at maximum volume. I was allowed to hang out with them quite a bit even though i was only four or five yrs old(different times indeed). I remember hearing that first side of DSOTM at a very young age. I rediscovered it later on in my mid teens when my own drug experimentation began. :)
downsized_0902152320a.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-09-17/gilmour-launches-solo-album-film

David Gilmour has launched a 16-minute behind-the-scenes film on the making of solo album Rattle That Lock, which is released this week.

He’s previously issued clips from the video, which detail the inspiration and process that went into the follow-up to 2006’s On An Island.

Gilmour has already told how the signature tone on the title track was recorded at a French railway station, and how he wound up featuring a London choir made up of former convicts and members of the public in the backing track.

Rattle That Lock is released tomorrow (September 18). Gilmour is currently touring Europe.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-myA5PtYZ0A

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-10-08/david-gilmour-releases-yellow-dress-video

David Gilmour has released an animated video for his track The Girl In The Yellow Dress.

It was created by Los Angeles-based filmmaker Danny Madden and is the latest song taken from the former Pink Floyd man’s Rattle That Lock album, out last month.

The song’s lyrics were penned by Gilmour’s wife, the author Polly Sampson, who says she drew on her novel writing experience while working on the track.

She tells NPR: “The Girl In The Yellow Dress actually felt incredibly similar to writing a short story. With A Boat Lies Waiting, I really tried to get under David's skin.

“There was no point in me writing a song that he naturally wouldn't sing, so I tried to look as clearly as I could through his eyes. It feels very similar to writing fiction.

“The added advantage is that there's someone prompting me. There is no blank piece of paper, because the music is there.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PwQrEbEnrM

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd actually never seen this rehearsal or these interview clips. Pretty cool.
Pre Live 8 (2005)
Lol at Nick Mason "One tasteful drum ending."

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Full Live 8 set(2005). Last performance of Pink Floyd with Waters, Gilmour, Wright, Mason.
A nice, upgraded sound mix.

Breathe (In The Air)
Money
Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Mod note: Decided to edit and delete some posts due to expired youtube and photo content.
Good news is we can add it all in again :cheers:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Was surprised to learn that the band has kind of turned its back on Umagumma, as I rather enjoyed it. I still have the original U.S. release on LP, purchased in '69 or 70'.

Read back to some of the earlier comments from 2014 here, and just wanted to mention I also have kept my fringe leather jacket purchased in '69 from 'Hell Bent for Leather' on Hollywood Blvd. Paid $55.00 back then, and that was a bloody fortune for a 16/17 year old in those days. Seems every girl I ever sat in front of in class would braid those 'fringes'.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Have always been more attracted to this sonically than side one part 1-5.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
"Welcome to the Machine"
Lyrics by Rodger Waters

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been.
You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
provided with toys and Scouting for Boys.
You bought a guitar to punish your ma,
And you didn't like school, and you know you're nobody's fool,
So welcome to the machine.
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
What did you dream? It's alright we told you what to dream.
You dreamed of a big star, he played a mean guitar,
He always ate in the Steak Bar. He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
So welcome to the machine.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
@Prime Time
Vintage show(1970) Good sound. Probably the best Atom heart mother i've heard live. Love this rendering of Cymbaline too.

Dirigo

Rookie
Name
Andrew

View: https://youtu.be/Axl1zYX7NPQ

Cool tribute to my favorite Pink Floyd song which incidentally was not sung by any of the members of Pink Floyd. The vocals was performed by legendary british singer Roy Harper. So hats off to Roy Harper and oh by the way which ones Pink?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I have just found this thread so I will add my thoughts about one of my favorite bands as a kid. My first Pink Floyd album was purchased from a Tower of Records in Sacramento in about 1979. I loved most of the songs on that album...The Wall...
I like almost every song on this album and played it so many times that I can't count...Another Brick... and One of My Turns were my favorites...

The best title that I ever heard was an older Pink Floyd song:
"Several Species of Small Fury Animals Gathered in a Cave, Grooving with a Pict"
Dark Side of the Moon was another album that I bought after The Wall.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I’m pretty excited to take my two daughters to see Brit Floyd live here in July. My girls have never been to a real concert before.

These guys do Floyd so well in every way. Musically, the set list, the lighting, the visuals, the whole presentation.

This full set is from a few yrs ago. The vids from the current tour are all homemade shyte.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
DOGS
You got to be crazy, you gotta have a real need
You gotta sleep on your toes and when you're on the street
You got to be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed
And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight
You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking

And after a while, you can work on points for style
Like the club tie,and the firm handshake

A certain look in the eye and an easy smile
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
So that when they turn their backs on you
You'll get the chance to put the knife in

You gotta keep one eye looking over your shoulder
You know, it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder
As you get older
Yeah, and in the end you'll pack up and fly down south
Hide your head in the sand
Just another sad old man
All alone and dying of cancer

And when you lose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown
And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone
And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around
So have a good drown, as you go down all alone
Dragged down by the stone

Gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used

Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze

Deaf, dumb and blind, you just keep on pretending
That everyone's expendable, and no one has a real friend
And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner
Everything's done under the sun
But you believe at heart everyone's a killer

Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan

Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Who was dragged down by the stone
~Waters/Gilmour

Hey Mojo...
just curious, if someone were to ask you why you love Pink Floyd so much, what words would you use in response?

To be honest, I find their music to be depressing as fuck. I don't know much of their stuff except for "The Wall." I listened to the Wall (and saw the Movie also) when I was 15 and a high school junior in 1985, usually when stoned. I saw a reviewer who described the movie as "seething with anger, alienation, and despair." That about sums up my stoned reaction when I was 15. "Goodbye cruel world?" "I have become comfortably numb"? I remember thinking, "I don't ever wanna listen to this music again when I'm high, it's just too damn painful."

Anyway... I ask this question just out of respectful curiosity. You are obviously a huge fan. So obviously you have a totally different relationship to the music that I do. For the songs that express hopelessness or cynicism or despair... your reaction is....?

As I say, just curious.

Last edited:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Used to love their music.

Have now purged them from my collection and won’t listen to a single note due to Waters’ disgusting antisemitic bigotry.