The Official Pink Floyd thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Here you can post anything Pink Floyd...Gilmour and Waters solo material...your stories and [ahem] "experiences" related to one of the greatest bands in history.

Here's a basic history of the changes through the years...and yes i wrote this "mostly" from out of my own noggin. Wiki helped me out a little :whistle:

The original lineup founded in 1965
Rodger Waters, Rick Wright , Nick Mason and Syd Barrett

download (29).jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An addition in 1967...guitar player/vocalist David Gilmour
Pink_Floyd_-_all_members.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After Barrett left the band in mid '1968...we got the proverbial lineup that lasted from 1968-1979

pinkfloyd.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 1979 Rick Wright left the band following The Wall album. Floyd would only record one album without Wright(The Final Cut in 1983).
In 1985 founding member Roger Waters left the band and Rick Wright subsequently rejoined Dave Gilmour and Nick Mason . This lineup along with many other session musicians would record two more Pink Floyd albums(1987's A Momentary Lapse of Reason and 1994's The Division Bell).

download (30).jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Rick Wright passed away in September 2008 at the age of 65.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waters, Gilmour, Wright and Mason have all done solo work over the years as well.
~

The first person to post in this thread will receive $1,000 ROD dollars from yours truly. :)

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Nah, give your ROD dollars to the next person not to a mod. :cool:

Saw my first PF show in, it must have been 1974, at the Cow Palace in Daly City, CA. Lots of stuff from The Dark Side of the Moon album. There was a thick haze of pot smoke in the air and I'm pretty certain I had taken some psychedelics prior to the show. My main memory of that night was that they had a real jet plane on runners stashed away over our heads, which slid down towards the stage with much pyrotechnics and noise. Spectacular show.

Saw The Animals tour as well as Wish You Were Here and The Wall tour twice.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saw my first PF show in, it must have been 1974, at the Cow Palace in Daly City, CA. Lots of stuff from The Dark Side of the Moon album. There was a thick haze of pot smoke in the air and I'm pretty certain I had taken some psychedelics prior to the show. My main memory of that night was that they had a real jet plane on runners stashed away over our heads, which slid down towards the stage with much pyrotechnics and noise. Spectacular show.

Saw The Animals tour as well as Wish You Were Here and The Wall tour twice.

You lucky SOB.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You lucky SOB.

As far as being able to see so many of the old bands in their prime, oh yeah.

I saw many shows at the Fillmore West including Johnny Winter and his brother Edgar on stage at the same time, Leslie West and Mountain when he was still hugely fat and wearing a brown fringe jacket. Spirit and many other bands.

The place was small and always smelled of pot and patchouli incense. Bill Graham mixed with the crowds. He loved the music and the musicians but was also very demanding of them. There was usually free food and drink which you approached with caution if you wanted to make it home with your mind somewhat functioning.

After the Charles Manson killings, the many drug overdoses, and the crime wave in the Haight-Ashbury district of SF, all that 'free love' and 'we hippies are gonna change the world' vibe went out the window and it was back to business as usual.

The one thing about that place was that it was a dangerous neighborhood and the walk both from the car and back was a definite buzzkill of tension. Still it was worth it. After it closed Grahams' concerts were at Winterland and the Cow Palace.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Floyd played two shows here in Phoenix in 1988 at the baseball park(Phx Municipal).
I was about 19 yrs old. I went to both shows(duh) with my girlfriend and about six of my other friends. There was a lottery style drawing for first priority to buy tickets. Of course we gathered everyone we knew to get in line at 6AM to grab a numbered stub to hopefully get a low number for the official ticket line. My best friend Mike(R.I.P.) drew a ridiculously low number(under 100) so he bought the limit of 8 tickets and we were all there...4th row right in front of Dave Gilmour for the first nights show. Blasted stoned, i brought binoculars and was zooming in on Gilmours guitar chops(at a distance of about 20 feet) LMFAO. He threw a few laughs my way.

I remember vividly the laser blanket they threw at the crowd during the Wish You Were Here segment, and i was so close to the stage, so low(and so incredibly high) that it felt like we were under water with all the smoke going through the laser field.
It was a magical evening.

I went to the show at Sun Devil Stadium in '94 as well. It started off a bit rough for me. I'd gotten a hold of a random joint and i have no idea what was in it(pot and...something else LOL) but it made me sick for about an hour. I recovered though and settled in nicely. The band was much better and tighter on this tour than the '87 tour.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As far as being able to see so many of the old bands in their prime, oh yeah.

I saw many shows at the Fillmore West including Johnny Winter and his brother Edgar on stage at the same time, Leslie West and Mountain when he was still hugely fat and wearing a brown fringe jacket. Spirit and many other bands.

The place was small and always smelled of pot and patchouli incense. Bill Graham mixed with the crowds. He loved the music and the musicians but was also very demanding of them. There was usually free food and drink which you approached with caution if you wanted to make it home with your mind somewhat functioning.

After the Charles Manson killings, the many drug overdoses, and the crime wave in the Haight-Ashbury district of SF, all that 'free love' and 'we hippies are gonna change the world' vibe went out the window and it was back to business as usual.

The one thing about that place was that it was a dangerous neighborhood and the walk both from the car and back was a definite buzzkill of tension. Still it was worth it. After it closed Grahams' concerts were at Winterland and the Cow Palace.
Thats very cool. I don't know our difference in age, but i missed out on a lot of classic stuff. I did go to just about every concert that came through here from '85 thru '95 though, which depending upon one's age would classify as "classic."

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I am seriously jealous to hear Primetime actually did acid and saw them live. Some of us came a bit too late to the party for that. But we tried our best to measure up.

when CD's first came on the scene my first purchase was "Saucer Full of Secrets"
my first bass line I learned was "Money"

for me though as a young artist and teenager growing up in So-Cal it was all about Pink Floyd and the album covers. Just Iconic. Dark Side of the Moon to this day is the best album cover of all time.
i was mesmerized by the album covers. It was like escaping into another world. I would stare at the covers and listen to the music. It made me stick by my guns during my youth and insist on being an artist and musician despite my parents asking me, "what is your backup plan"
Well I had none. And thank God. Later my dream came true.

Storm Thorgerson is a genius. God Bless him

from the BBC
"Vocalist Dave Gilmour called him "an inseparable part of our work".

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I did see Rodger Waters on his Radio KAOS tour in Sept '87(a year before Floyd came to town).
It was pretty good. He had some excellent musicians performing with him including Paul Carrack and Graham Broad who i liked.
Without the Gilmour factor on guitar i was left feeling slightly empty with the Floyd material they did though, i must admit.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I like that Floyd did a throwback and opened the Division Bell tour set with Astronomy Domine from the first album.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Thats very cool. I don't know our difference in age, but i missed out on a lot of classic stuff.

I was born in 1951 so during "The Summer of Love" I was 16 and found myself smack dab in the middle of all that wonderful music and craziness that was going on in the SF Bay area. It was about an hour drive to get to SF from where I lived. I had a 1961 blue VW and later on two VW buses that served me and my friends well. So Friday after school we headed to wherever the best bands were playing. If we didn't have tickets we would get them from someone who was scalping them and we always did find a way into the show.

Being really naive we once bought a big stash of opium from a dealer thinking it was hash. Why? Because that's what the scumbag dealer told us of course. It worked out just fine but was one of those lessons you learned being young and dumb. Psychedelics and smoke was as much a requirement for attending concerts as long hair and the proper clothes.

it was all about Pink Floyd and the album covers. Just Iconic. Dark Side of the Moon to this day is the best album cover of all time.
i was mesmerized by the album covers. It was like escaping into another world. I would stare at the covers and listen to the music. It made me stick by my guns during my youth and insist on being an artist and musician despite my parents asking me, "what is your backup plan"
Well I had none. And thank God. Later my dream came true.

Storm Thorgerson is a genius. God Bless him

from the BBC
"Vocalist Dave Gilmour called him "an inseparable part of our work".

You bring up a great point. Album covers and albums themselves. We had no internet or cell phones in those days - no one was on speed-dial, plus all that pot smoking slowed everything down and you made time to check out a new album while listening to it for the first time. The lyrics were usually printed out for you and the art work was always worth checking out. Now you need a telescopic lens to read the lyrics on a CD if there even are any.

I actually bought albums without ever hearing the songs just because I liked the art work. The first King Crimson album is one example.

15xn5ep.jpg

How could you resist buying that, bringing it home, and scaring the heck out of your parents? Today, people generally don't listen to albums all the way through. Most people just want to compile singles, which is fine but they miss out on the whole experience of albums. It was a ritual.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Love Pink Floyd some of the greatest music EVER one of my favs is an obscure cut

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
dude payots never looked so freaking badass
mindblowing
I was very impressed. Not only the lead guitar but when the other dude came in to sing i was expecting...well, not what i heard. It was smooth.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Saw them here in STL for the Dark Side OF The Moon tour! Had some blond hash and a buzz before the concert so it was an excellent evening! They were better than their album that night!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Saw them here in STL for the Dark Side OF The Moon tour! Had some blond hash and a buzz before the concert so it was an excellent evening! They were better than their album that night!
What an awesome experience that must have been. Wow.