The NFL Has Never Been More Gladiatorial

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
And yet there are still some who want to extend the season to 18 games.

IqsF45I.jpg

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2571157-the-nfl-isnt-fantasy-those-injuries-are-the-real-thing

The NFL Isn't Fantasy: Those Injuries Are the Real Thing
By Mike Freeman, NFL National Lead Writer

Look anywhere in the NFL world, and you see gloss. You see shine. You see hype.

During an NFL game, among the many dozens of commercials, there are the beer ads that tell us the world is an awesome place, so go have a beer and smile. Because awesome. Because beer.

Fantasy and gambling are presented as a pleasant fantasy. Only thing missing is a promise that if you set the right lineup, you'll get laid.

There are pools in the stadium used by the Jaguars. Actual damn pools. Nothing represents distance from the violent reality of what happens on a football field quite like going for a swim during a game. What's next? Pedicures in the concourse?

The sports world, the media, the fans—we rarely, if ever, discuss the sport's reality, which is this: No matter how much we gloss, we shine, we hype, it is injuries and pain that remain the central feature of football. No amount of shine or showmanship can erase that fact.

I'm sorry to interrupt the discussion about who you should start at the flex position, but we all need to, on occasion, stop and take stock of what we are actually watching. I don't mean to depress you. No, wait, I do. Because we all need to remember this compelling statistic.

Through two weeks of the NFL season, 15 percent of players have suffered injuries, according to thinkprogress.org. Fifteen percent.

I've talked to people around the sport and asked if this number is unusual or normal, and the answer I get is that it's high. That fact coincides with data from last season, when there were slightly more than 1,300 injuries total.

At the current rate, the league would reach that 1,300 number around the midpoint of the season.

There are many brave men and women who do incredibly dangerous jobs and aren't paid a fraction of what NFL players get. But that doesn't change that number. There are few jobs where 15 percent of the workforce gets hurt—many of the injuries being serious ones—after just two weeks.

While we monitored our fantasy lineups, Bills safety Aaron Williams was immobilized and carted off the field. While we stuffed our faces with wings, Tony Romo broke his collarbone. Dez Bryant broke his foot. Jason Witten played a game with two sprained ankles and a sprained knee. Arian Foster is trying to get back ASAP after ripping his groin off the bone. Victor Cruz is lobbying to get back in, according to NJ.com, after shredding his calf.

Those are just some of the stars injured. It's two weeks into the season, and there have been so many other concussions and broken bones and torn ACLs.

This is the life they choose, yes. But this article isn't about the players; it's about us. Technology is doing to football, I believe, the same thing it's doing to the rest of society: It's creating distance. When it comes to the NFL, smartphones and fantasy lead us to distance ourselves from what players actually go through on the field.

How many fans knew that before Week 2, players in total suffered 12 concussions, two neck injuries and 40 knee injuries? Very few, probably. Most fans were saying, "Can I put that dude in my lineup yet?"

And we haven't even mentioned that scientists continue to discover that the brain disease CTE is widespread among former NFL players.

Terrell Suggs, Achilles. Jordy Nelson, ACL. Shaun Suisham, ACL.

Some people think Madden is football. Madden is to football what singing in the shower is to being Luther Vandross.

I cover the sport for a living, and even I sometimes forget that these are human beings playing it. Wealthy human beings, for sure, but they are flesh and blood. They are not just variables in our eliminator pools.

Some players have told me there are more injuries than ever before because of new rules that limit practice and time hitting in pads.There's no proof of this, and I don't buy it in any way. I think it's a simple equation: bigger + stronger + faster = harder hits.

The NFL's popularity is unquestioned. Its production is slicker than ever. But also, to me, never have all of us cared so little about what actually happens to the players.

Never before, to me, has football been so...gladiatorial.

Mike Freeman covers the NFL for Bleacher Report.

beej

Rookie
The NFL's popularity is unquestioned. Its production is slicker than ever. But also, to me, never have all of us cared so little about what actually happens to the players.
I'm just going to be real here and say he's right, I'm not that concerned. I work with guys who make 2-3% of what nfl players make in a year. (yeah, that's right. do the math 2 million x .03) Some of them are missing fingers but almost all end up with back problems, knee problems, carpel tunnel, or shoulder injuries.

We come to work everyday, may or may not complain. And an awful lot of guys don't make it till retirement or sometimes pass away just a year or 2 afterwards. Now I know that a lot of the players don't play long in the nfl. But in that short time, they make more money than a lot of guys I work with will make in 20 years. So when they are done. they've made good money. had their college degrees paid for if they chose to pursue them. and a lot of places like lending institutions and marketing business, love to have former professionals working for them for the publicity.

So no, I'm not that concerned. I hate to see someone get hurt, but it happens.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'm just going to be real here and say he's right, I'm not that concerned. I work with guys who make 2-3% of what nfl players make in a year. (yeah, that's right. do the math 2 million x .03) Some of them are missing fingers but almost all end up with back problems, knee problems, carpel tunnel, or shoulder injuries.

We come to work everyday, may or may not complain. And an awful lot of guys don't make it till retirement or sometimes pass away just a year or 2 afterwards. Now I know that a lot of the players don't play long in the nfl. But in that short time, they make more money than a lot of guys I work with will make in 20 years. So when they are done. they've made good money. had their college degrees paid for if they chose to pursue them. and a lot of places like lending institutions and marketing business, love to have former professionals working for them for the publicity.

Not really a fair comparison... the NFL minimum is $420,000, and the average NFL career is 3.3 years. You've got people who make a good salary, but not millions, for a year or 2 and end up leaving the league with no real-world skills and potentially major injury woes.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Agree with everything you wrote but I'm looking at it from another angle. In the future when someone brings up extending the amount of games in the regular season, they should take note of the attrition that takes place over 4 preseason games, 16 regular season games, and for some players - playoff games. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they did away with all preseason games. It's a ripoff for the fans and an added danger for the players(see Sam Bradford from last season).

beej

Rookie
Not really a fair comparison... the NFL minimum is $420,000, and the average NFL career is 3.3 years. You've got people who make a good salary, but not millions, for a year or 2 and end up leaving the league with no real-world skills and potentially major injury woes.

so doing the math. that's 1.4 million in 3 years. that feels like a lottery ticket to me. Add that to the fact that they probably got a 4 year degree paid for if they took it seriously. It's a good gig. And I don't fault people like Kam Chancelor trying to get more money. If he can, Great! I just don't feel sorry for them.

And one more thing to add to this, and this is just me. But it seems obvious why a sports writer would write about it. They have one of the most Cush jobs anywhere. I don't how much they get paid to do what most people consider a hobby. But overall, sports casters and sports writers who have never played the game, seem like some of the laziest people I've seen. And the idea of hard work, sweating for a living and working through pain must be completely foreign to them. just my opinion.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
This guy hasn't been around very long! Sorry to start the obvious!!
Sadly he has been around a while, people can look up his career lowlights on wiki. Just suffice to say he's 100% an agenda+drama over sports guy -- i.e., a perfect match for bleacher report.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
So what was the point of this piece? To gain points for how big of a sympathy boner you have? I really don't see the point in this.

beej

Rookie
Nobody is forcing anybody to play. They could always just focus on the college degree and go get a job in their field. Or they could decline the college scholarship offer and go do something else altogether.

Gladiators on the other hand, well, they had a little different deal.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

Nope.
The poor used up and cast away football player theory is a joke.
using your numbers
That 3.3 years at 420k = 1,386,000. Then after his career is over in his mid 20's he can use that college education that was given to him to make a good living for the next 40 years.

Avg, worker 32k per year takes 43.3 years to make what the bottom of roster player did in in 3.3 years.

And that 3.3 year player isn't going to be anymore crippled up when he's 60 than a person doing a labor job. And how many football players die on the field? Happens every day in the workforce.

Athos

Legend
Now I know that a lot of the players don't play long in the nfl. But in that short time, they make more money than a lot of guys I work with will make in 20 years.

Yea man. Not to mention the ones who get endorsement deals before, during, and after retirement. If you're smart with your money, you can only be in the league a few years and have enough to live comfortably the rest of your life without having to do a lot of strenuous work.

Heck, I wouldn't mind if they did away with all preseason games. It's a ripoff for the fans and an added danger for the players(see Sam Bradford from last season).

Yep. Though, I'm more of the, I don't see the point for Vets (although, looking at you Fisher......clearly more intense practices are needed to avoid slow starts to the season). But it is the good way for fringe players to make the team.

At the very least, I'd cut half of the pre-season games or extend camp and only have 1 tuneup game before the season.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is a sneaky underhanded point to this article. We, as consumers, read about all the negative aspects of the thing that we like or follow and it shocks us at first. Then, it tends to draw us closer to that sport, TV show, reality show, news anchor, or whatever it is that we are engrossed in. It happens time and again. Drama sells tickets, air time, and, in this case, articles.

I am not saying that the content is not plausible or correct. I think these articles are written so that even the people who do not follow football as closely as we do, will tune in to watch the damage being done. It is also selling tickets to the new movie coming out with Will Smith about concussion research. It is a machine.

Another example would be the news correspondent that got caught lying about several interviews and things he had done. Brian Williams, I believe it was who came out and said he had lied. How many people do you think tuned in to see him come back on the air. Reality TV lies to us all the time because they want fights, infidelity, and the constant downplaying of others thoughts, reactions, and personality to be the forefront of "good television".

AS consumers, we love to build something up, tear it down, and then throw our arms around it and say, "It's alright, guys. I still believe."

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Sadly he has been around a while, people can look up his career lowlights on wiki. Just suffice to say he's 100% an agenda+drama over sports guy -- i.e., a perfect match for bleacher report.
He sources something named ThinkProgress.org. Nuff said.

Commercialization is annoying but to be expected at the same time.

The chickification of the sport is more annoying than anything though. Exhibit A...this story.

This guy hasn't been around very long! Sorry to start the obvious!!

To that point we were discussing the increased trend in injury over time. Part of it is that there is ever increasing sensitivity to injury. In the past guys would walk it off, rub a little dirt in it, tape it up and get back out there. Now we have more and more extensive protocols for clearing players and every nick and boo boo is reported. Although, it is true that the players are bigger and faster than ever before. To a certain extent too the fact that players have better and better equipment they are able to hit that much harder. The helmet and pads have gone from being a protection to being a weapon. It may seem counter intuitive but if players went back to the lighter equipment as in the past (leatherheads) the injury rate might actually decrease.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I have to admit that I thought I had a reasonably decent vocabulary...I now find that I do not...I can't recall seeing the word gladiatorial in print before this...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/25/week-three-injury-report-roundup-4/

Week Three injury report roundup
Posted by Josh Alper on September 25, 2015

489353630-e1443219004755.jpg
Getty Images

Over the course of the week, there are a lot of posts about the most prominent injured players but we know that you might not see all of them and that some others may fall through the cracks. As a result, we’ll comb through all the injury reports every Friday afternoon so that there’s one stop for all the news from every team playing on Sunday. So, without further delay, the injury report roundup for Week Three of the 2015 season.

Steelers at Rams

The Steelers defense will go without defensive tackle Daniel McCullers (knee) and linebacker Ryan Shazier (shoulder) while cornerback Cortez Allen (knee) is questionable. Rams running back Todd Gurley (knee) is questionable to make his pro debut.

Bengals at Ravens

The Bengals will be short on the defensive line with Pat Sims (hip) out and Marcus Hardison (knee) doubtful. Wide receiver A.J. Green (knee) is good to go, though. It’s another week without left tackle Eugene Monroe (concussion) for the Ravens, who also ruled out wide receiver Breshad Perriman (knee) and defensive end Chris Canty (calf). Running back Lorenzo Taliaferro (foot) is questionable.

Saints at Panthers

Quarterback Drew Brees (shoulder) highlights the list of injured Saints players and he’ll be joined on the inactive list by safety Jairus Byrd (knee) and guard Jahiri Evans (knee). Linebacker Dannell Ellerbe (toe) and cornerback Keenan Lewis (hip) are questionable. The Panthers don’t expect to have linebacker Luke Kuechly (concussion, doubtful) and definitely won’t have wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (ankle). Defensive end Charles Johnson (hamstring) and running back Jonathan Stewart (knee) are both questionable with the expectation that they’ll be in the lineup.

Raiders at Browns

Defensive tackle Justin Ellis (ankle) and defensive end Benson Mayowa (knee) have been ruled out by the Raiders, who also listed defensive end Justin Tuck (knee) and safety Charles Woodson (shoulder) as probable. The Browns will play without linebacker Scott Solomon (ankle), running back Robert Turbin (ankle) and cornerback K’Waun Williams(concussion). Defensive end Desmond Bryant (shoulder) and cornerback Justin Gilbert(hamstring) are questionable.

Falcons at Cowboys

The Falcons ruled out running back Tevin Coleman (ribs), wide receiver Devin Hester(toe) and linebacker Brooks Reed (groin), but wide receiver Julio Jones (hamstring) is probable after another limited week of practice. Tight end Jason Witten (ankle, knee) drew a probable tag from the Cowboys, who won’t have wide receiver Dez Bryant (foot), defensive end Randy Gregory (ankle) or defensive end Jeremy Mincey (concussion). Guard Ron Leary (groin) has a chance to return after drawing a questionable tag.

Buccaneers at Texans

Buccaneers tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins (shoulder) is out this week and expected to miss several more. Center Evan Smith (ankle) and safety Major Wright (abdomen) are doubtful to play while defensive tackle Gerald McCoy (shoulder) is questionable after being limited in practice all week. Safety Lonnie Ballentine (knee), left tackle Duane Brown (hand), running back Arian Foster (groin) and linebacker Mike Mohamed (calf) are all out for Houston. Tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz (knee), running back Jonathan Grimes(knee) and guard Xavier Su’a-Filo (calf) are all questionable and wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins (concussion) is probable.

Chargers at Vikings

Ruling out safety Jahleel Addae (ankle), wide receiver Jacoby Jones (ankle), guardJohnnie Troutman (forearm) and linebacker Tourek Williams (foot) will take much of the guesswork out of the Chargers inactive list. The list could be rounded out by guard D.J. Fluker (ankle), tight end Ladarius Green (concussion) and cornerback Jason Verrett(foot) if they fall on the wrong side of their questionable tags. Vikings guard Brandon Fusco (concussion) is questionable after practicing on Thursday and Friday and is the only injury issue of note for the home team.

Jaguars at Patriots

Jacksonville won’t have defensive end Andre Branch (knee), cornerback Dwayne Gratz(ankle) and tight end Julius Thomas (hand) as they try to win in New England. Defensive tackle Sen’Derrick Marks (knee) and running back Denard Robinson (knee) are likely to miss the game as well after drawing questionable tags. Safety Johnathan Cyprien (calf), tackle Luke Joeckel (ankle) and guard Brandon Linder (knee) are all questionable. Patriots center Ryan Wendell (illness) remains out and defensive tackle Dominique Easley(hip) is questionable.

Eagles at Jets

The Eagles ruled out linebacker Kiko Alonso (knee), defensive end Taylor Hart(shoulder), linebacker Mychal Kendricks (hamstring) and defensive end Cedric Thornton(hand). Running back DeMarco Murray (hamstring) is questionable and expected to play. Jets coach Todd Bowles called wide receiver Eric Decker (knee), running back Chris Ivory (quadricep) and cornerback Darrelle Revis (groin) game-time decisions, although only Revis practiced this week. Wide receiver Chris Owusu (knee) and linebacker Trevor Reilly (finger) definitely won’t play and guard Willie Colon (groin) is also questionable. Quarterback Geno Smith (jaw) is probable, which may make him the backup to Ryan Fitzpatrick come Sunday.

Colts at Titans

The Colts have ruled out cornerbacks Darius Butler (hip) and Greg Toler (neck) again this week, but they remain hopeful that Vontae Davis (concussion) will play. Tight endDwayne Allen (ankle) is also out and linebacker Trent Cole (knee) joins Davis on the questionable pile. Titans cornerback Jason McCourty (groin) is questionable for what would be his 2015 debut, but defensive tackle Sammie Hill (knee), cornerback Cody Riggs(knee) and guard Chance Warmack (knee) have been ruled out.

49ers at Cardinals

Running back Reggie Bush (calf) is doubtful after missing the last 49ers game. Wide receiver Bruce Ellington (ankle) and tight end Vance McDonald (knee) are both questionable. The other Ellington in this game, Cardinals running back Andre Ellington(knee), is doubtful while wide receiver J.J. Nelson (shoulder) has been ruled out. GuardMike Iupati (knee) is questionable and has a good chance to play for the first time this season.

Bills at Dolphins

Bills running back LeSean McCoy (hamstring) is probable, but wide receiver Marquise Goodwin (ribs) and safety Aaron Williams (neck) have been ruled out. It doesn’t look good for Dolphins tackle Branden Albert (hamstring, doubtful) or tight end Dion Sims(concussion, doubtful) and we’ll wait to hear about questionable tight end Jordan Cameron (groin), running back Lamar Miller (ankle) and defensive tackle Earl Mitchell(back).

Bears at Seahawks

The Bears head to Seattle without quarterback Jay Cutler (hamstring) or wide receiverAlshon Jeffery (calf). Linebacker Jon Bostic (ankle) is doubtful while defensive end Ego Ferguson (knee), linebacker Pernell McPhee (knee), cornerback Tracy Porter (hamstring) and wide receiver Eddie Royal (back, hip) drew questionable tags. Cornerback Tharold Simon (toe) and safety Steven Terrell (hip) are out for Seattle, which should have safetyKam Chancellor in the lineup for the first time this year. Running back Marshawn Lynch(calf) and tight end Luke Willson (back) are both questionable.

Broncos at Lions

The Broncos don’t expect to have cornerback Kayvon Webster (ankle, doubtful) and they’ll make calls on defensive end Kenny Anunike (knee) and cornerback Omar Bolden(foot) come Sunday. The Lions ruled out tight end Brandon Pettigrew (hamstring) and there’s no indication that linebacker DeAndre Levy (hip) will play despite the doubtful tag leaving open a sliver of hope. Quarterback Matthew Stafford (ribs) is set to start, however.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/02/week-four-injury-report-roundup-4/

Week Four injury report roundup
Posted by Josh Alper on October 2, 2015

Over the course of the week, there are a lot of posts about the most prominent injured players but we know that you might not see all of them and that some others may fall through the cracks. As a result, we’ll comb through all the injury reports every Friday afternoon so that there’s one stop for all the news from every team playing on Sunday. So, without further delay, the injury report roundup for Week Four of the 2015 season.

Rams at Cardinals

Safety Maurice Alexander (groin) and defensive end Eugene Sims (knee) will miss the game for the Rams. Running back Chase Reynolds (knee, doubtful) is expected to join them. Running back Andre Ellington (knee) is questionable to return for the Cardinals, but wide receiver J.J. Nelson (shoulder) is out.

Jets vs. Dolphins (in London)

The Jets will wait until Sunday to make a call on wide receiver Eric Decker (knee), but cornerback Darrelle Revis (knee) and running back Chris Ivory (groin) are both expected to play. Guard Willie Colon (knee) and tight end Jeff Cumberland (concussion) are both out. Dolphins left tackle Branden Albert (hamstring) is expected to miss the game after being listed as doubtful. Tight end Dion Sims (concussion) is out and it will be game-time decisions for tight end Jordan Cameron (groin) and running back Jonas Gray (calf).

Texans at Falcons

The Texans will reveal Sunday whether left tackle Duane Brown (hand) and running backArian Foster (groin) make it back to the lineup. Quarterback Ryan Mallett (chest) is probable after three limited practices and safety Lonnie Ballentine (knee), linebackerAkeem Dent (hamstring) and running back Jonathan Grimes (knee) have all been ruled out. Safety Ricardo Allen (knee), running back Tevin Coleman (ribs), wide receiver Devin Hester (toe) and tight end Jacob Tamme (concussion) have been ruled out for Atlanta, but linebacker Brooks Reed (groin) is expected back in the lineup.

Giants at Bills

Giants left tackle Ereck Flowers (ankle) has a shot of returning to the lineup after getting a questionable tag. Defensive end Robert Ayers (hamstring), wide receiver Victor Cruz(calf), tight end Jerome Cunningham (knee) and defensive tackle Markus Kuhn (knee) have all been ruled out. The Bills have several players ruled out as well. Wide receiverMarquise Goodwin (ribs), running back LeSean McCoy (hamstring), guard John Miller(groin), wide receiver Sammy Watkins (calf) and safety Aaron Williams (neck) will all miss this weekend’s action.

Raiders at Bears

Oakland will go into Soldier Field without defensive end Benson Mayowa (knee), cornerback Keith McGill (foot) and defensive end C.J. Wilson (calf). Safety Charles Woodson (shoulder) is questionable. Tackle Jermon Bushrod (concussion, shoulder) has been ruled out by the Bears, who will wait to decide if quarterback Jay Cutler (hamstring) and wide receiver Alshon Jeffery (hamstring) will play.

Chiefs at Bengals

The Chiefs are in good shape after playing on Monday night. Wide receiver Albert Wilson(shoulder) is questionable and four players are probable. The Bengals have decent health as well. Safety George Iloka (ankle) is doubtful while defensive tackle Marcus Hardison(knee) and cornerback Adam Jones (elbow) are questionable.

Jaguars at Colts

Jacksonville continues to be banged up with wide receiver Marqise Lee (hamstring), guardBrandon Linder (shoulder), defensive tackle Sen’Derrick Marks (knee), running backDenard Robinson (knee) and tight end Julius Thomas (hand) all ruled out of the lineup. Safety Sergio Brown (calf) is doubtful to play, so the list will likely grow on Sunday. The Colts listed quarterback Andrew Luck (shoulder) as questionable after a week of limited practices and the arrival of Josh Johnson on the roster. Tight end Dwayne Allen (ankle) is questionable after missing last week and cornerback Greg Toler (neck) remains out.

Panthers at Buccaneers

Linebacker Luke Kuechly (concussion) will miss his third straight game for the Panthers. Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery (ankle), guard Amini Silatolu (ankle) and tackle Daryl Williams (knee) have also been ruled out, but running backs Jonathan Stewart (tibia) and Mike Tolbert (groin) are both probable to play. The Buccaneers didn’t rule out cornerback Johnthan Banks (knee), tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins (shoulder), center Evan Smith (ankle) or tight end Luke Stocker (hip), but all are doubtful to play. Running back Doug Martin (knee, quadricep) and defensive tackle Gerald McCoy(shoulder) are both questionable after practicing on Friday.

Eagles at Redskins

Linebacker Kiko Alonso (knee) was ruled out by the Eagles during the week and defensive linemen Taylor Hart (shoulder) and Cedric Thornton (hand) will join him on the sideline. Linebacker Mychal Kendricks (hamstring), running back DeMarco Murray (hamstring) and left tackle Jason Peters (quad) are all questionable to play. The Redskins ruled out cornerback DeAngelo Hall (toe), wide receiver DeSean Jackson (hamstring) and linebacker Perry Riley (calf), but they hold out hope that cornerback Chris Culliver (knee, questionable) will be able to play.

Browns at Chargers

Cleveland ruled out defensive end Desmond Bryant (shoulder), linebacker Craig Robertson (ankle), linebacker Scott Solomon (ankle), running back Robert Turbin (ankle) and cornerback K’Waun Williams (concussion) on Friday. Safety Tashaun Gipson (groin) is questionable and cornerback Joe Haden (ribs, finger) is probable for Week Four. GuardOrlando Franklin (ankle) is out, tackle King Dunlap (concussion) and center Chris Watt are doubtful and guard D.J. Fluker (ankle, chest) is questionable, so the Chargers are going to be scrambling on the offensive line. Safety Jahleel Addae (ankle), wide receiver Jacoby Jones (ankle), cornerback Craig Mager (hamstring) and linebacker Tourek Williams(foot) are also out this week. Tight end Ladarius Green (concussion) and cornerbackJason Verrett (foot) have been listed as questionable.

Vikings at Broncos

The Vikings will be without wide receiver Charles Johnson (ribs) and Jarius Wright(hand) may leave them even thinner at the position after being listed as questionable. Cornerback Jabari Price (shoulder), safety Andrew Sendejo (knee) and defensive endJustin Trattou (foot) have also been ruled out, but cornerback Xavier Rhodes(concussion) is expected to play. Rookie left tackle Ty Sambrailo (shoulder) is out for Denver and tight end James Casey (knee) and linebacker Todd Davis (ankle) are both questionable.

Packers at 49ers

The Packers will be without right tackle Bryan Bulaga (knee) again this week, and cornerback Demetri Goodson (hamstring) and linebacker Jake Ryan (hamstring) are likely to join him after drawing doubtful tags. Wide receiver Davante Adams (ankle) and safety Morgan Burnett (calf) are both questionable. The 49ers aren’t expected to have tight end Vernon Davis (knee, doubtful), but don’t have other pressing injuries on the active roster.

Cowboys at Saints

The Cowboys will remain without defensive end Randy Gregory (ankle) again this week, but Jeremy Mincey (concussion) is expected back after missing last week’s game. GuardRonald Leary (groin) is also expected back for Dallas. The Saints plan on starting quarterback Drew Brees (shoulder) and also listed safety Jairus Byrd (knee), linebacker Dannel Ellerbe (toe) and cornerback Keenan Lewis (hip) as probable. Guard Jahri Evans(knee) was ruled out for the second straight week.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/09/week-five-injury-report-roundup-4/

Week Five injury report roundup
Posted by Josh Alper on October 9, 2015

Over the course of the week, there are a lot of posts about the most prominent injured players but we know that you might not see all of them and that some others may fall through the cracks. As a result, we’ll comb through all the injury reports every Friday afternoon so that there’s one stop for all the news from every team playing on Sunday. So, without further delay, the injury report roundup for Week Five of the 2015 season.

Rams at Packers

Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree (ankle) is going to be out for multiple weeks and safety Maurice Alexander (groin) is doubtful. The Packers look like they’ll have tackle Bryan Bulaga (knee) in the lineup, although they listed him as questionable along with wide receiver Davante Adams (ankle), safety Morgan Burnett (calf) and cornerback Demetri Goodson (hamstring). Safety Sean Richardson (neck) is out and reportedly will miss the rest of the season.

Redskins at Falcons

Four Redskins — cornerback Chris Culliver (knee), cornerback DeAngelo Hall (toe), wide receiver DeSean Jackson (hamstring), and tight end Jordan Reed (concussion, knee, ankle) — have been ruled out for this Sunday. Linebacker Perry Riley (calf) is questionable to return to the lineup. Running back Tevin Coleman (ribs) is probable to return for the Falcons, who ruled out linebacker Justin Durant (elbow). Wide receiverJulio Jones (toe, hamstring) is questionable, although there’s been nothing to suggest he’ll be anywhere but on the field come Sunday.

Browns at Ravens

Browns cornerback Joe Haden (ribs, finger) is questionable after unexpectedly missing last week’s game and safety Tashaun Gipson (ankle) has been ruled out. Linebacker Craig Robertson (ankle) is out as well and running back Shaun Draughn (back) is doubtful. It doesn’t look like Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith (back, doubtful) will play, which would leave him on the sideline with defensive end Chris Canty (calf), tight end Crockett Gillmore (calf) and wide receiver Breshad Perriman (knee). Tackle Eugene Monroe(concussion) is probable to play for the first time since the opener.

Seahawks at Bengals

It will be another week without running back Marshawn Lynch (hamstring) for the Seahawks, who also ruled out cornerbacks Tharold Simon (toe) and Marcus Burley(hand). Running back Fred Jackson (ankle) is questionable and Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Friday that he’s hopeful the veteran can play. The Bengals are healthy with three probables to go with the questionable defensive end Wallace Gilberry (calf) and safety George Iloka (ankle).

Bears at Chiefs

The Bears will have plenty of decisions to make on Sunday. They listed 13 players as questionable, including quarterback Jay Cutler (hamstring), wide receiver Alshon Jeffery(hamstring) and linebacker Pernell McPhee (shoulder). They were a bit more definitive about safety Antrel Rolle (ankle, doubtful) and were willing to rule out tackle Jermon Bushrod (concussion). Tight end Travis Kelce (groin, thumb) is probable for the Chiefs, who won’t have linebacker Josh Mauga (groin, Achilles).

Saints at Eagles

The Saints ruled out tackle Terron Armstead (knee) and punter Thomas Morstead(quadricep), but hope to have guard Jahri Evans (knee) back in the lineup after listing him as questionable. Eagles tackle Jason Peters (quadricep) is questionable, but said he expects to play. Linebacker Mychal Kendricks (hamstring) is out after getting hurt last week.

Jaguars at Buccaneers

Wide receiver Marqise Lee (hamstring), linebacker John Lotulelei (concussion) and running back Denard Robinson (knee) are all out for Jacksonville and tight end Julius Thomas (hand) is expected to join them after being listed as questionable. Defensive tackleSen’Derrick Marks (knee) and linebacker Paul Posluszny (ankle) are also questionable. The Bucs don’t expect to have cornerback Johnthan Banks (knee), tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins (shoulder), wide receiver Russell Shepard (hamstring) or center Evan Smith (ankle) after listing them as doubtful. Guard Logan Mankins (groin), defensive tackle Gerald McCoy (shoulder) and tight end Luke Stocker (hip) are all questionable.

Bills at Titans

Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins (calf) is questionable after missing last week’s game. Tight end MarQueis Gray (forearm), running back LeSean McCoy (hamstring), safetyBacarri Rambo (quadricep) and running back Karlos Williams (concussion) are all going to miss the game and safety Aaron Williams (neck) is probable to return to the lineup. Cornerback Jason McCourty (groin) should play for the first time this season, but the Titans will likely be without defensive tackle Sammie Hill (knee). Guard Chance Warmack(knee) is questionable.

Cardinals at Lions

Running back Andre Ellington (knee) is one of seven probable Cardinals, tight end Darren Fells (hip) and wide receiver J.J. Nelson (shoulder) are questionable and coach Bruce Arians said Friday he anticipates everyone being healthy enough to play. The Lions ruled out running back Joique Bell (ankle), tight end Eric Ebron (knee) and defensive tackleHaloti Ngata (calf) for this Sunday. Safety James Ihedigbo (quadricep) and guard Larry Warford (ankle) are questionable.

Patriots at Cowboys

The Patriots return from their bye in good shape. Cornerback Bradley Fletcher (hamstring) and defensive end Trey Flowers (knee, shoulder) are questionable and the rest of the injury report is made up of probable players. Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee (concussion) is probable to return, but wide receiver Dez Bryant (foot), wide receiver Brice Butler(hamstring) and defensive end Randy Gregory (ankle) are all out of the lineup.

Broncos at Raiders

Broncos tackle Ty Sambrailo (shoulder) will miss a second straight game and guard Evan Mathis (hamstring) is questionable to play. Wide receiver Cory Latimer (groin) has also been ruled out. The Raiders will play without defensive tackle Denico Autry (concussion), cornerback T.J. Carrie (chest), defensive tackle Justin Ellis (ankle) and running backTaiwan Jones (foot).

49ers at Giants

Word on Friday was that linebacker Ahmad Brooks will miss Sunday’s game following the death of his sister, but the 49ers listed him as doubtful. Tight end Vernon Davis (knee) definitely won’t play and tackle Joe Staley (knee) is questionable. The Giants ruled out defensive end Robert Ayers (hamstring), wide receiver Victor Cruz (calf), linebackerDevon Kennard (hamstring) and defensive end George Selvie (calf). Linebacker Jonathan Casillas (calf), cornerback Jayron Hosley (concussion) and cornerback Trumaine McBride (groin) are all questionable.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/16/week-six-injury-report-roundup-4/

Week Six injury report roundup
Posted by Josh Alper on October 16, 2015

Over the course of the week, there are a lot of posts about the most prominent injured players but we know that you might not see all of them and that some others may fall through the cracks. As a result, we’ll comb through all the injury reports every Friday afternoon so that there’s one stop for all the news from every team playing on Sunday. So, without further delay, the injury report roundup for Week Six of the 2015 season.

Bengals at Bills

Bengals cornerback Leon Hall (back) is questionable, but the rest of the Bengals injury report is made up of probable players. The Bills aren’t quite so lucky. While running back LeSean McCoy (hamstring) is expected to play, wide receiver Percy Harvin (hip), quarterback Tyrod Taylor (knee) and wide receiver Sammy Watkins (calf) are questionable. Running back Karlos Williams (concussion) is out.

Broncos at Browns

Left tackle Ty Sambrailo (shoulder) and linebacker DeMarcus Ware (back) will have an extended period to recover after being ruled out by the Broncos, who have a bye next week. Guard Evan Mathis (hamstring), cornerback Aqib Talib (ankle), wide receiverDemaryius Thomas (neck) and running back Juwan Thompson (hamstring) are questionable. The Browns secondary will be missing cornerback Joe Haden (concussion, finger) and safety Tashaun Gipson (ankle). Three running backs — Isaiah Crowell (toe),Shaun Draughn (back) and Robert Turbin (ankle) — are questionable.

Bears at Lions

Nine Bears are questionable for this week’s game, including wide receiver Alshon Jeffery(hamstring), tight end Martellus Bennett (quad) and wide receiver Eddie Royal(knee). Defensive end Ego Ferguson (knee), linebacker Shea McClellin (knee), cornerbackTerrance Mitchell (hamstring) and safety Antrel Rolle (ankle) are all doubtful. The Lions have ruled out tight end Eric Ebron (knee), linebacker DeAndre Levy (hip) and defensive tackle Haloti Ngata (calf). Running backs Joique Bell (ankle) and Theo Riddick (groin) are questionable along with safety James Ihedigbo (quadricep).

Texans at Jaguars

Linebacker Jadeveon Clowney (ankle), safety Quintin Demps (hamstring) and wide receiver Nate Washington (hamstring) have been ruled out by the Texans. Defensive endJared Crick (knee) is questionable, but said Friday he expects to play after returning to practice. Jaguars running back T.J. Yeldon (groin) is questionable, but Denard Robinson(knee) is expected back after missing three games. Defensive tackle Sen’Derrick Marks(knee) and linebacker Paul Posluszny (ankle) are probable to return to the lineup.

Chiefs at Vikings

The Chiefs won’t have linebacker Josh Mauga (groin, achilles) or defensive tackleDontari Poe (ankle) in Minnesota. Linebacker Tamba Hali (knee) is questionable. The Vikings hope to have wide receiver Charles Johnson (rib) back in the lineup, but he’ll be a game-time decision. Wide receiver Mike Wallace (knee) is expected to play, however.

Redskins at Jets

The Redskins head to Jersey with a lot of injury issues. Cornerback Chris Culliver (knee), cornerback DeAngelo Hall (toe), center Kory Lichtensteiger (shoulder, finger, neck), tight end Jordan Reed (concussion) and tackle Trent Williams (neck, concussion) are all out. Wide receiver DeSean Jackson (hamstring), defensive end Stephen Paea (back), wide receiver Andre Roberts (quadricep) and running back Matt Jones (toe) are questionable. The Jets listed guard Willie Colon (knee), linebacker David Harris (quadricep) and running back Bilal Powell (groin) as questionable as they return from their bye week. Wide receiver Chris Owusu (knee) is doubtful, which means his brother should have the family’s best catch of the week.

Cardinals at Steelers

Cardinals G Mike Iupati (back) missed practice on Thursday, but returned on Friday and was listed as questionable. Safety Rashad Johnson (thigh, hip) and linebacker LaMarr Woodley (chest) are also questionable while linebacker Alex Okafor (calf) is out. After a little uncertainty early in the week, the Steelers ruled out quarterback Ben Roethlisberger(knee). Safety Will Allen (ankle) and linebacker Ryan Shazier (shoulder) are also out and cornerback Cortez Allen (knee) and linebacker Jarvis Jones (hip) drew questionable tags.

Dolphins at Titans

Miami listed tackle Branden Albert (hamstring), defensive tackle A.J. Francis (back) and cornerback Brent Grimes (knee) as questionable, although there’s been optimism about Albert and Grimes getting back in the lineup. Titans cornerback Perrish Cox (hamstring), tight end Anthony Fasano (concussion), defensive tackle Sammie Hill (illness, knee) and linebacker Avery Williamson (hamstring) have been listed as questionable.

Panthers at Seahawks

Linebacker Luke Kuechly (concussion) is expected to play, but defensive end Jared Allen(back), linebacker A.J. Klein (concussion) and tackle Daryl Williams (knee) are out for the Panthers. Guard Amini Silatolu (ankle) is questionable. Seattle listed running backMarshawn Lynch (hamstring) as questionable, although all indications are that he will play. Linebacker Bobby Wagner (pectoral) is also questionable and his game status is more uncertain. Cornerback Marcus Burley (hand) is out and defensive end Frank Clark(hamstring), defensive tackle Jordan Hill (quadricep), linebacker Nick Moody (ankle) and cornerback Tye Smith (hip) are all doubtful.

Chargers at Packers

The Chargers continue to be banged up on the offensive line with tackle King Dunlap(concussion, out), center Chris Watt (groin, concussion, out), guard D.J. Fluker (ankle, questionable), guard Orlando Franklin (ankle, questionable) and tackle Chris Hairston(ankle, questionable) all on the injury report. Wide receiver Stevie Johnson (hamstring) is doubtful and linebacker Manti Te’o (ankel) is questionable. The Packers don’t expect to have linebacker Nick Perry (shoulder, hand) and defensive tackle B.J. Raji (groin) after listing them as doubtful. Wide receiver Davante Adams (ankle) and safety Morgan Burnett (calf) are questionable.

Ravens at 49ers

It’s a long injury list for the Ravens this week, starting with ruling out safety Terrence Brooks (thumb), defensive end Chris Canty (calf), wide receiver Breshad Perriman(knee) and wide receiver Darren Waller (concussion). Wide receiver Steve Smith (back) is questionable, but said Friday that he doesn’t expect to play. Linebacker Elvis Dumervil(thigh), running back Justin Forsett (ankle), tight end Crockett Gillmore (calf), wide receiver Chris Givens (ankle) and guard Marshal Yanda (ankle) are also questionable while cornerback Lardarius Webb (thigh) is doubtful. 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks(shoulder), tight end Vernon Davis (knee), wide receiver Bruce Ellington (calf), linebacker Eli Harold (knee), RB Carlos Hyde (foot), G Brandon Thomas (ankle) are all questionable. Running back Reggie Bush (calf) is doubtful to play.

Patriots at Colts

The Patriots ruled cornerback Tarell Brown (foot) out for their trip to Indy. Running backDion Lewis (abdomen) and linebacker Dont’a Hightower (rib) are questionable. The Colts listed quarterback Andrew Luck (shoulder) as questionable, although signs point to his return to the lineup. Linebackers Jerrell Freeman (groin) and Nate Irving (knee) are also questionable, but wide receiver T.Y. Hilton (groin) is expected to play after a limited practice earlier in the week.