The most penalties .... why?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Maybe. But without any empirical evidence on it, we're just assuming the Rams are the team most affected by their own setbacks. It's just as easy to say that seattle's defense gives the offense more opportunities than ours does, but there's no way to prove that either. Even if you looked at team snap counts on offense, you'd find Philly at the top due to the pace of their game. And really, when is an offensive penalty (for any team) not a potential drive killer or TD eraser?

None of this is to say that the penalties this team commits are excusable or shouldn't be cleaned up. I'm just trying to say that there's no correlation between penalties and success (or lack thereof). The team with the lowest amount of penalties last year was the Jaguars. The year before that it was the Dolphins.

Yes but put those low penalty teams together with actual talent and they become that much harder to beat. Give us the Dolphins penalty numbers and last year looks different.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yes but put those low penalty teams together with actual talent and they become that much harder to beat. Give us the Dolphins penalty numbers and last year looks different.
Possibly, but who knows? I find it quite revealing that last year's SB winner had the 2nd most penalties in the league, and the SB winner from the year prior had the most. Maybe it's just a matter of knowing how to win as opposed to needing assistance from the refs.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Possibly, but who knows? I find it quite revealing that last year's SB winner had the 2nd most penalties in the league, and the SB winner from the year prior had the most. Maybe it's just a matter of knowing how to win as opposed to needing assistance from the refs.

But it can't hurt, and it's something that can be controlled. Especially in big situations.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's the same reason as every other year. Fisher's teams have a reputation. The refs know his players play to the edge and beyond so they'll flag ANYTHING that's even close to a penalty. People may want the refs to call just what's there and not go by reputation but that's not how it works. Stuff moves so fast that sometimes they have to guess. Those guesses will almost always go against Fisher's teams. And let's be honest here, Fisher's teams DO commit a lot of legit penalties.

If Fisher wants it to change, he's going to have to have his players play extremely disciplined for a long period of time and he's going to have to complain more about the calls that are wrong. Complaining about the refs may backfire but continuing the status quo sure isn't working.

If that's true, the refs are fully open to being blamed in losses along with other factors. Also, I belive the Rams commit on par with "legit" flags. There are too many bullshit flags that skew the overall picture. It's bullshit.

Complaining doesn' t do anything. All the NFL says is "oops our bad that shouldn't have been made."

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ahem!!!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
We dont look at guys wonderlic's when drafting??

No. I have no idea why we give so many penalties away. Its ugly.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Last three pre-season games:

Rams: 29 penalties for 229 yards.

Opponents: 15 penalties for 113 yards.

The Rams may not be angels but there is no way they are THAT much worse than the other teams. They have had more penalties and penalty yards than any team they have played. Tell me to get out the tinfoil hat but I can't help but think that the Rams do get a raw deal. And as Prime Time pointed out--WHEN they get the penalties are just as critical. It's easy to have "make-up" penalties when a game is decided or at non crucial times.
I believe the Rams get screwed 9 games out of 10 and until I see data that suggests otherwise, I'll continue to believe it.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I know it sounds ridiculous but I swear the officials have it out for the Rams. I don't know if it is something that could ever be proved but you watch a game like tonight and the exact same calls that are there against both teams and they are called against the Rams and not called against the opposition.

Does Fisher piss off the refs because he's on the competition committee? Do the other owners hate Kronke?

If it was only a week here and there I'm delusional. Week after week year after year? Something is up

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Bushleauge refs are bushleague.

Tavon's "pushoff" was ticky tacky.

Alec Ogletree wasn't offside.

I don't care if people call it "excuses". These refs are fucking terrible when it comes to calls that shouldn't be made.

I don't think they have it "out", they are just that bad.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Maybe. But without any empirical evidence on it, we're just assuming the Rams are the team most affected by their own setbacks. It's just as easy to say that seattle's defense gives the offense more opportunities than ours does, but there's no way to prove that either. Even if you looked at team snap counts on offense, you'd find Philly at the top due to the pace of their game. And really, when is an offensive penalty (for any team) not a potential drive killer or TD eraser?

None of this is to say that the penalties this team commits are excusable or shouldn't be cleaned up. I'm just trying to say that there's no correlation between penalties and success (or lack thereof). The team with the lowest amount of penalties last year was the Jaguars. The year before that it was the Dolphins.
And no correlation in whether we actually commit all these crucial turnovers. There may be a correlation to critical penalties and the line in Vegas.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'll say it. The refs have it out for us. Honestly, some of those horseshit calls over the last two games should've never been made. Especially Mariota's non intentional grounding/Quinn's roughing the passer.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a give and take thing.
I'll "take" the penalties IF you "give" me a winning record. ;)

Without an overall positive outcome, penalties are annoying and counter-productive, IMO.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For other old people remember Chuck Noll who brought such fear in his players that they always led the league in the least amount of penalties. Some bad ass players who had respect for their coach to not cause these penalties. Coach fisher is loved but I don't think he is feared like Noll was as Lombardi was and even Laundry had a low penalty record most years. Its about deep respect men. I'm sorry , its not the youth thing we keep repeating. I truly wonder from what I've seen up close is coach Fisher deeply respected? Are you being held to a higher level of serious play? Sorry so heavy. IT CAN BE CORRECTED!
Did someone else bring this subject up? ;):sneaky:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
What I see is like the seahags and cheaters the Rams play hard nose old school football till the last echo of the whistle and then a little more. Every team has stupid penalties, be over aggressive.
The problem with the Rams is the offense hasn't been able to overcome the penalties on the scoreboard as was the GSOT.
Say what you want about the 2 teams ahead of the Rams, but those teams come out man up and ball.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
See the seahawks, for example.

2011: 2nd most penalties in the league
2012: 4th most
2013: Most
2014: Most

Agree it is an annoyance. Most good teams can overcome a slew of penalties during the course of a game. Because of our youth and inexperience, it has been much harder to overcome. IMO, most penalties are the result of poor technique and/or not being mentally strong. Do I think older vets and marque players get some calls/non-calls from time to time? Absolutely. My biggest irritation is when penalties start racking up, it seems our guys get caught up complaining, rather than just forgetting about it and moving on. This happens with other teams too. I don't think we are being "targeted" by the officials because of Fisher, Williams, etc, although it seems like that's the case sometimes. For the most part, it comes down to our guys having good technique and being mentally strong. If our guys continue to focus on these things, I'm willing to bet the penalties will decrease.

rambone

UDFA
I may be wrong, but it seems to me the Rams penalties overall went down drastically when Fisher cut ole Ray-Ray. He made him an example and got everybody else's attention.

Perhaps we need another example? Just sayin'..........

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I may be wrong, but it seems to me the Rams penalties overall went down drastically when Fisher cut ole Ray-Ray. He made him an example and got everybody else's attention.

Perhaps we need another example? Just sayin'..........
Not sure what the takeaways of these numbers mean as to Fisher's coaching emphasis, or players being idiots, or what, but here's some numbers--

First 4 games the Rams averaged 9 penalties a game, that went down to 7.25 after Ray-Ray.

Ray-Ray himself:
2013 Rams 7 penalties in 323 snaps = 1 every 46 snaps
2014 Rams 1 penalty in 96 snaps = 1 every 96
2014 Raiders 5 penalties in 452 snaps = 1 in every 90
(note: his ratio of snaps on special teams was more with Rams, more LB with Oak)

Top Rams offenders: http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/st-louis-rams?year=2014&view=players
JJ led 2013: http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/st-louis-rams?year=2013&view=players

No longer with the team in 2015: Barks (6), Wells (6), D.Joseph (5) = 17 penalties (14% of last year's penalties). Of course might be replaced by rookies that make more penalties! (see: GRob)