The MMA Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
Troy
Can the newbie make an MMA thread?! I saw a couple on here, but I've decided to create a general thread.

MMA is probably my favorite sport. I wouldn't skip a Rams game for an event (thankfully the two usually never coincide), though.

A lot of crazy things have been happening lately, what with Conor McGregor "retiring" and then coming back with a statement that he's not retiring but sick and tired of the promotional events, but in other news, Jonny Bones Jones is making his comeback on Saturday night, and tomorrow night on Bellator Benson Henderson has the shot at making history by becoming the only fighter to be a champion in three different major promotions (WEC, UFC, Bellator).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hell yeah you can make an MMA thread.
I remember when it was the 'Tough Man' contest even before MMA came around.
Now it's only the 2nd best sport in the world.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I like talking mma. The folks from my BJJ gym sometimes watch the ppv fights at Beefs together.

I swear I nearly went hoarse when Nate Diaz took out Connor McGregor. I was telling my eldest daughter to watch because both the Diaz brothers have sneaky good BJJ and it looked like CM was tiring. What a fight!

Was bummed to see Holly Holm lose to Meisha Taint. Great win for Taint and she earned it, but it likely means a Rousey Taint 3...ugh.

Name
Troy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like talking mma. The folks from my BJJ gym sometimes watch the ppv fights at Beefs together.

I swear I nearly went hoarse when Nate Diaz took out Connor McGregor. I was telling my eldest daughter to watch because both the Diaz brothers have sneaky good BJJ and it looked like CM was tiring. What a fight!

Was bummed to see Holly Holm lose to Meisha Taint. Great win for Taint and she earned it, but it likely means a Rousey Taint 3...ugh.
When Conor decided to shoot on Nate, I was like, "Holy shit!!!" Reminded me of his "panicked wrestlers" spiel from a while ago. Conor used the entire first round to try and knock out Nate, and by the second he was spent! I think the textbook to beat Nate was laid out by Rafael dos Anjos. Would've been interesting to see if Conor would've used RDA's gameplan in the rematch (patience/leg kicks) rather than getting into another brawl with Nate. But then last week's craziness happened, and I guess we aren't getting it.

And I hear you about Holm/Taint. I like Miesha, but I really wanted to see Holly and Ronda rematch, just to see if Ronda would actually approach the fight differently. Not looking forward to her beating Taint for a third time and then going on and on about her comeback story.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
When Conor decided to shoot on Nate, I was like, "Holy crap!!!" Reminded me of his "panicked wrestlers" spiel from a while ago. Conor used the entire first round to try and knock out Nate, and by the second he was spent! I think the textbook to beat Nate was laid out by Rafael dos Anjos. Would've been interesting to see if Conor would've used RDA's gameplan in the rematch (patience/leg kicks) rather than getting into another brawl with Nate. But then last week's craziness happened, and I guess we aren't getting it.

And I hear you about Holm/Taint. I like Miesha, but I really wanted to see Holly and Ronda rematch, just to see if Ronda would actually approach the fight differently. Not looking forward to her beating Taint for a third time and then going on and on about her comeback story.

You pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Totally agree.

We have a triangle in Women's MMA now... Holm>Rousey, Rousey>Taint, Taint>Holm... for obvious reasons.

Holm over Rousey because Rousey's Judo means her takedowns are based on grabbing up high. Holm was able to disengage unlike Taint and negate Rousey's Judo as well as scramble out of Rousey's grasp. Rousey has no answer for the legion of kicks Holm throws nor the straight punches.

Rousey over Taint because Taint cannot disengage from the high grapples, thus eventually gets thrown and succumbs to Rousey's judo. It's just a matter of time.

Taint over Holm because Taint's dirty boxing and space eating negates Holm's range. As well, Taint's wrestling allows her to shoot LOW and Holm as a classically trained boxer isn't as comfortable with her low takedown defense and susceptible to leg takedowns. Holm's ground game is the weakest of the three.

Style's make fights, right?

I guess after Rousey wins...again...we'll get a Rousey v Holm 2? Maybe? We'll see...

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I love the sport of MMA. Dana White, however, makes me hate everything associated with the UFC.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I love the sport of MMA. Dana White, however, makes me hate everything associated with the UFC.

I don't disagree, but that would be like not watching football because of Roger Goodell who's worse by a ton.

Name
Troy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No doubt. Dana can be pretty insufferable, but I like to remind myself that he takes the fall for decisions made by the Feritta Brothers whenever I'm annoyed with his BS.

DenverRam

Starter
i wanted to watch my irishmen fight.

I think the promotions do get ridicolous at times. But they are trying to grow the sport, so i cant really blame them.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why?
I think Dana is great and the evolution of TUF has given plenty of unknowns a chance. He gets blasted for trimming the roster but not the credit for expanding it at the same time.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Why?
I think Dana is great and the evolution of TUF has given plenty of unknowns a chance. He gets blasted for trimming the roster but not the credit for expanding it at the same time.

Just my opinion, but he couldn't have done a worse job promoting the sport. People were DYING for MMA and it could have been 10X bigger and more popular than it is today. Instead it's still joke to most people and he comes across as a buffoon with his shaved head, tight shirts, constant swearing, basing title shots on potential PPV buys, being greedy with the money and promoting only a couple fighters while the rest starve, stealing their sponsorship money while he has 5 Ferraris.

With a little foresight and a more competent management it could've been so much better.

It makes me sad to think if they sell he's going to be uber wealthy when so many former UFC fighters had to fight under shitty contracts for $5k a fight.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just my opinion, but he couldn't have done a worse job promoting the sport. People were DYING for MMA and it could have been 10X bigger and more popular than it is today. Instead it's still joke to most people and he comes across as a buffoon with his shaved head, tight shirts, constant swearing, basing title shots on potential PPV buys, being greedy with the money and promoting only a couple fighters while the rest starve, stealing their sponsorship money while he has 5 Ferraris.

With a little foresight and a more competent management it could've been so much better.

It makes me sad to think if they sell he's going to be uber wealthy when so many former UFC fighters had to fight under crappy contracts for $5k a fight.
Couldn't disagree more.
UFC name is synonymous with MMA
He's gotten licensing pushed thru in States that swore they'd never allow it
UFC is brilliant in how they split the card and let viewers get a taste of the card with free fights
He promotes the fighters who win, and gets also ran fighters on PPV cards every month
What he hasn't caved in to, and I credit him for is the money grab boxing went to with WBA/WBC divisions to increase draw
I much prefer his "look" being one of us instead of being some corporate stooge. Yeah, he curses, questions the judges on questionable decisions and isn't afraid to mix it up in the media with his guys and gals.
So what? I cant see UFC being any more popular than it is right now
It will suck if he sells out

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone else buying UFC 200 tonight?
Man, what a night for fighting
Main Card
Weight class
Method Round Time Notes
Women's Bantamweight Miesha Taint (c) vs. Amanda Nunes [a]
Heavyweight Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt
Light Heavyweight Daniel Cormier (c) vs. Anderson Silva https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_200#cite_note-35
Featherweight José Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar [c]
Heavyweight Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne
Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
Women's Bantamweight Cat Zingano vs. Julianna Peña
Catchweight (171.25 lbs) Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum
Bantamweight T.J. Dillashaw vs. Raphael Assunção
Lightweight Sage Northcutt vs. Enrique Marín

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't think I've ever seen anything like that hit to Cyborg.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
last october i remember lots of internet comments abound that said the 135lb class in womens mma was non existent. 3 title changes later, one would beg to differ. and dont count out valentina who lost a close decision to nunes, the new champ. seems like each "new" woman fights in a style that is a weakness to the current or former champ. shevchenko is a tough fighter, just bided her time after the 1st round knockdown and slowly took holly holm apart despite a height and reach advantage she also had the better kicks of the night, which was a holm strength. 3 takedowns didnt hurt either. that tough little lady speaks 3 languages too.