The Los Angeles Rams Looking To Install Spread Attack

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
usa-today-9284121.0.jpg

Don't look now, but the Rams will be installing another version of the spread attack this season...

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/6/1/11829548/los-angeles-rams-offense-preview-spread-jared-goff

The Los Angeles Rams began OTAs this week in sunny California, their first home practice in California in over 20 years. Bringing football back to Los Angeles means changes everywhere, and apparently that includes the offensive philosophy.

After wrapping up the first OTA, Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher confirmed the team will give another go at installing the spread into their offensive approach:

We're going to get the ball spread around a little bit more. It's going to all focus off the run game. But we're going to be able to, if need be, hand it off to Todd, and if someone says "we're not going to let you do that", then were going to spread it around.

Fisher also went on to highlight getting the ball into Tavon Austin's hands more and doubling his catch total (52) from last year. He mentioned pushing the ball down field being a priority as well.

Now this may all sound a little familiar to Rams fans as this has been tried with the Fisher regime before.

In 2013 when the Rams drafted Tavon Austin, the team went towards a more power-run/spread attack. With Sam Bradford at the quaterback position and rookie first-round pick Tavon Austin having extreme college success in the spread, fans were really excited about the possibilities of the offense.

Then reality came crashing down when the season began.

Somehow, everyone forgot Jeff Fisher and his staff knew nothing about running a spread offense as they all have always run a power scheme. Then, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, proved early and often he was in over his head in the attempts to design route concepts from the spread that would allow the offense to flourish. Furthermore, the spread that Bradford ran in college, and the one Tavon was used to, wasn't even remotely close to being similar. And to top it all off, Schottenheimer didn't do much to lessen the learning curve, as the verbiage was rumored to be overly complex.

Here we are now, three years later, and Fisher is ready to try it one more time. But what reasons are there to believe they'll get it right this time?

The Rams brought in Mike Groh as a wide recievers coach but also as the passing game coordinator. His job is to help design concepts for the spread pass game that will take the 32nd-ranked offense in 2015 to new heights in 2016.

Now this tid bit of info will either make you as a Rams fan vomit, or jump and rejoice.

Groh stems from an interesting coaching tree. He is a disciple of Adam Gase, who began his career learning directly under Mike Martz. Gase has had success with his spread attack, which is similar but different from that of Martz. The Rams are hoping that Groh can bring some of that creativity to this offense.

The Rams also have a new QB in town. Some kid that goes by the name of Jared Goff. He's another guy that had success in the spread in college. You have to wonder how's the learning curve going to affect him, but Fisher has already confirmed the offense has been simplified. At least it seems they are trying to make the transition as easy as possible which is clearly the smart thing to do.

One thing that stood out to me with Fisher's comments is he wants to spread it out and push it down field. Considering Goff is from a spread offense and was by far the best down field passer in college football during the 2015 season, one has to wonder how much of Goff's college "Bear Raid" offense will be installed.

Goff doesn't have a wow, drop your jaw, kind of arm, but his down field accuracy is scary impressive. Could the Rams finally not only be looking to spread it out, but actually try to push the ball down field on a more consistent basis?

Fisher's comments has opened the door to a lot of questions, and as training camp draws near, Rams fans, media and all of LA will be watching closely to see, what other changes will be in store for this franchise come the 2016 season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
This article was posted a while back but TBH never in the article does he quote Fisher, Boras or anybody else about us installing a spread offense. All they say is we're going to spread the ball around more which I take to mean utilize more receivers.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Uhhhh...to me scary impressive accuracy IS a drop your jaw arm.

Is that so wrong?

Of course it is dumbass, this is the Rams we (the east coast media) 're talking about.
Gotta keep it real.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Not that I'm buying the "wait until you see what we unleash" bs, but maybe JF never had the QB.
Bradford just didn't have the balls. Don't know how else to say it. Maybe Murmer fucked him up - dunno, but he did (does) not have the "it" that I believe Goff has.

ALA Favre and Rodgers. (One can dream) !

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The Rams have to prove they have 4 or 5 route running reliable pass catchers, but hey I'm all in for an occasional spread offense when the RUN game is getting shut down. I'm sure they will learn what formations Goff works well with especially on 3rd down and long.

gun_5wr_trio_banner.jpg

gun_spread_y_flex_formation_breakdown.jpg

Shotgun_Formation_original.jpg

AirRaid_Cougcenterlogo.jpg

big_five_3x2_formation_1-opti.png

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So Fisher saying we're going to spread the ball around equates to us running a spread offense? Nice reach. I wouldn't doubt if we insert some spread concepts but a lot of teams do that. It doesn't make them a spread offense oriented team. I guess we'll see but I suspect Fisher will be looking to open things up and part of that is designing space for TA and Cooper while keeping a lot of the power game with Gurley, Kendricks, and Higbee. I am also guessing that spreading the ball around means getting it to more of the playmakers than just Gurley, TA, and an occasional long ball to Britt or the TE on a seam route..

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uhhhh...to me scary impressive accuracy IS a drop your jaw arm.

Is that so wrong?

Never been impressed with "big armed"QB'S.I hear media folks talk about this kid or that kid
"He's got a cannon for a arm" Yea OK but is he accurate.I guess it comes from me growing up
watching Montana and his decent arm destroy teams with his surgical precision accuracy.
Probably why I preferred Goff over Wentz.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams could run 4 WR sets, 2 TE sets, a full house back field.
As long as they are matching it to skill sets, it should be better.
All I know is I want Gurley, Austin and whomever the 3rd best playmaker is on offense on the field together as much as possible.

HinkoDMayo

UDFA
Name
Hinks
The only way this works is because Schotty isn't with us anymore. I am sorry but I cannot think of somebody that is the worst offensive coordinators out there... When Fish hired him from the get go I wanted to puke!! I have a friend that is a JETS fan and every week he had something negative to say about him. They should have hired Hue Jackson instead of him!!I'm not saying this will work with Groh and Boras but anybody is better then Shotty!!

Cheers,
HDM

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This article was posted a while back but TBH never in the article does he quote Fisher, Boras or anybody else about us installing a spread offense. All they say is we're going to spread the ball around more which I take to mean utilize more receivers.
This^ is the way I interpret Fisher's statement too!!(y)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah, i think these writers are misinterpreting Fisher's quote.
I don't think the offense will be going away from lining up with 2TE/2WR sets and run a spread instead. I think Fisher means they're just going to try to spread the targets around in the passing game, which includes Gurley.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The Rams have to prove they have 4 or 5 route running reliable pass catchers, but hey I'm all in for an occasional spread offense when the RUN game is getting shut down. I'm sure they will learn what formations Goff works well with especially on 3rd down and long.

gun_5wr_trio_banner.jpg

gun_spread_y_flex_formation_breakdown.jpg

Shotgun_Formation_original.jpg

AirRaid_Cougcenterlogo.jpg

big_five_3x2_formation_1-opti.png
They don't, and I think you hit on that point perfectly. We don't have four proven wide receivers to rely on for an effective spread.

To that obvious variable, I'll add consistent pass protection from the offensive line.

Last year our primary targets were Gurley and Austin. Just adding Goff's mobility and accuracy is enough to spread the ball around. If either one of the new tight ends or wide receivers really works out and the line continues to improve that's great news, but not necessarily cause to change what this team was holistically built to do offensively.

I think the author misconstrues a quote to sate his own desire to witness a different offensive system.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The problem with the version of the spread that was introduced before was Bradford's inability to make the line calls. He isn't good enough and reading and diagnosing pre-snap and so when he made the calls often there were guys not blocking anyone and defenders running free into the backfield.

After a handful of games they dumped the spread and gave the line calls back to someone on the OL.

However I agree at no point did anyone say "spread offense" so the article is shit. Print it and line a birdcage with it.......

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some random stuff on this topic from my perspective...

1. Fish is deviating again from his roots and what everyone assumes about him. He is not dictating or handcuffing his OCs. IMO he lets them do their thing until they demonstrate they are not up to snuff.

2. Groh and Boras might just get it done. I like what I am hearing re: challenging the wideouts with more info right out the gate. I like the emphasis on precise routes. Hearing a lot about the teaching emphasis is a good thing.

3. Spreading out NFL defenses and running the ball against small fronts is here to stay. It will work if they coach up the talent they have; talent is there.

4.My main concern is whether this offensive staff is up to snuff in gameplanning. That separates the men from the boys in this league and we are not going to know until week 5 or 6.

5. Rams now have the QB who can take their plan to the next level. Just a matter of time before they have a dynastic offensive backfield with him and Gurley.

TexasRam

Legend
1 To put so much capital in a QB like Goff and then not implement some sort of spread or heavy passing game offense would just be senseless.

2 The '99 Rams proved you could bring in a brand new system and have success from the very start. By game 3 people were asking who Kurt Warner was and why the Rams were scoring so much.

3 Gurley's efficiency only goes up when the defense can't zero in on only a run game.

4 Need some rooks to step up to make it work. Did we Boom or bust on the Rookie Wr's? That's gonna make all the difference.