O.J. Simpson is released from prison

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
I wasn't a fan of OJ... Still not. Looking at the individual human... I could give a crap about him being a "celebrity".

I wasn't making any assumptions about your personal feelings about OJ. In fact, I am not even so much interested in discussing my feelings about him either. I have known guys & gals like him who received special, even grossly unfair positive treatment just because they are supposedly an outstanding athlete or some VIP's son|daughter or some other foolishly silly reason.

I am more concerned about the blatant immaturity of a society that would allow any human being to grow up being showered with so much acclaim for relatively trivial reasons that such an individual literally starts to believe that she|he could do virtually anything they want with impunity. And then, when that individual turns out to be so plainly & erringly human like the rest of us, that that society stupidly over-reacts as if they had been basely betrayed. If you pamper and treat any individual to the point where their own immaturity and the excessive pampering combines to create a veritable spoiled brat on steroids, can that society be considered truly completely blameless or do they not share the guilt of the misbehaving individual as well when the situation detonates morally?

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. OJ's situation is somewhat similar to how people responded to Michael Jackson and the allegations against him for child molestations. Again the concern here is not that truth of MJ's guilt or innocence, but why was there such a great divide in this country on that issue?

Recall that at one point Muhammed Ali was the most hated and reviled person in this country just because he refused to take part in the Vietnam war. He was not even going to actually fight! All he was to do was to run around cheering up the troops with exhibitions fights and personal appearances like Joe Louis did, and, because he chose to stand up for his religious and personal (experientially derived) beliefs, people in the country lost their minds. Quakers and other religious groups are allowed to forgo the war experience because of their own religious beliefs. Why were was there a veritable civil war over Ali's views?

People, showcasing all the erroneousness of their fragile human psyches, start assigning blame or innocence based on private agendas that often do not necessarily have any relevance to facts. Does this society ever really consider their collective value systems? Its reasons for designating certain individuals as hero(ine)s when they fill us with pride for what is really petty reasons, only to turn on them viciously when they make (or are merely believed! to have made) choices we do not approve of, even though we thoroughly aided & abetted our own self delusions in their supposed 'godhoods'?

I get where many come from when they go around saying things like OJ is a bum, etc. However, how many of us has been in his situation where virtually anything he (or others like him) wanted was provided with no obvious cost on his part? How many would truly resist feeding their sexual appetites if they have the clout of a John or Robert Kennedy to entertain affairs with Hollywood starlets like Norma Jean "Marilyn Monroe" Baker while married to supposedly devoted wives? How many men here can honestly handle having hordes of physically luscious females literally throwing themselves at you just because you happen to be the heavyweight champ, or some other major sports superstar or other uber entertainer?

Perhaps I am too cynical for my own good, but I believe the vast majority of us would utterly fail! resisting the temptations many rich & powerful have succumbed to. We love these people for silly reasons, because they get to live the lives many of us would love to live. Yeah, I know how some of you feel now: "we came to bury OJ---not to praise him!" and all that. However, it is truly crazy to witness out national value systems at play, especially when they blow up in our faces.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have known guys & gals like him who received special, even grossly unfair positive treatment just because they are supposedly an outstanding athlete or some VIP's son|daughter or some other foolishly silly reason.

It isn't just athletes and celebrities who get special treatment. Studies have shown that the beautiful types get treated better than the fat and ugly. It's human nature.

I am more concerned about the blatant immaturity of a society that would allow any human being to grow up being showered with so much acclaim for relatively trivial reasons that such an individual literally starts to believe that she|he could do virtually anything they want with impunity.

Meet the Kardashians, Paris Hilton, and anyone else who made a sex tape. Serial killers get fan mail and marriage proposals while in prison.

And then, when that individual turns out to be so plainly & erringly human like the rest of us, that that society stupidly over-reacts as if they had been basely betrayed. If you pamper and treat any individual to the point where their own immaturity and the excessive pampering combines to create a veritable spoiled brat on steroids, can that society be considered truly completely blameless or do they not share the guilt of the misbehaving individual as well when the situation detonates morally?

I feel no guilt whatsoever for the lives of others over whom I've had zero influence.

Muhammed Ali was the most hated and reviled person in this country just because he refused to take part in the Vietnam war.

He was hated and reviled not only because of that but because that was an era were black people were expected to keep quiet and be respectful, Ali was the opposite of that.

Why were was there a veritable civil war over Ali's views?

The reason there was such a divide of opinion on him was because half the country was for our troops being in Vietnam, while the other half was vehemently opposed to it. 2017 in America is a mirror image of that same divide except for different reasons.

How many men here can honestly handle having hordes of physically luscious females literally throwing themselves at you just because you happen to be the heavyweight champ, or some other major sports superstar or other uber entertainer?

I never had that opportunity but would guess I would fail miserably. I've been writing a new song which is entitled "The Cain In Me," which is based on the assumption that the average human being would be surprised by what they are capable of when placed in dire circumstances.

As far as OJ goes, I never cared about him one way or the other but suspect he is a man who had it all, lost his mind in a fit of rage and jealousy, and got away with murder. I'm of the belief that ultimately no one gets away with anything, not you, not me, and not OJ. There will eventually be a reckoning. This gives me great peace as I watch the privileged in life seemingly do whatever they want and get away with it.

It's not about having once cheered OJ because he was a great football player and then turning on him because he let us down, it's about justice.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-be-welcome-at-the-pro-football-hall-of-fame/

O.J. Simpson will be welcome at the Pro Football Hall of Fame
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 22, 2017

819891960-e1500719081267.jpg
Getty Images

The Pro Football Hall of Fame invites every Hall of Famer to its annual enshrinement ceremony every year, and that will include O.J. Simpson in 2018.

Asked whether Simpson will be welcome once he’s paroled, the Hall of Fame told ESPN, “All Hall of Famers are invited to attend the annual enshrinement.”

Simpson has been a pariah in NFL circles since he was accused of double murder in 1994. But he was granted parole this week for a 2008 armed robbery conviction and is expected to be released in October, so he could attend next year’s enshrinement ceremony.

The Hall of Fame has kept Simpson’s bust in place despite his off-field issues. Simpson has not attended a Hall of Fame ceremony since his own enshrinement in 1985.

jap

Legend
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

As I indicate before, all this is just the tip of a humongous iceberg, and it's ridiculously easy to run with this topic in so many directions. It's one thing to pretend to take the high road and decry the misbehaving of those constantly in the news. It's another to be in their shoes, often---even constantly---being given opportunities never afforded to most, and often failing in the choices we make. It is the small daily failures that set the stage for the epic falls from grace. So many of us are so pitifully weak, we might actually turn out to be worst! than many of those we supposedly abhor.

OJ is one of the worst examples of those who would do virtually anything to maximize his breaks, fair or unfair. Anyone who saw the ESPN documentary, OJ: Made in America, and similar documentary work got a view of the social environmental conditions attending OJ's rise and fall. He will always be a great RB to me. However I have never had much trouble separating athletic accomplishments from the person who achieves them.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2017/09/27/o-j-simpson-parole-monday/

State: O.J. Simpson Release Could Happen Monday

LAS VEGAS (KXNT) – O.J. Simpson could be released from a Las Vegas prison a free man as early as Monday, according to Nevada prison officials Wednesday.

Under the terms of a plan worked out by the state, the 70-year-old Simpson would be transferred from Lovelock Correctional Center in northern Nevada to High Desert State Prison outside Las Vegas for a release that could happen on Oct. 2, state Department of Corrections spokeswoman Brooke Keast told the Associated Press.

Keast said the process of releasing the former NFL star and actor was still being approved and documents would need to be signed to finalize the release.

Simpson spent nine years behind bars on armed robbery and kidnapping charges following a 2008 confrontation between Simpson and two sports memorabilia dealers at the Palace Station hotel in Las Vegas.

An Oct. 1 eligible parole date was set by state parole board members during a hearing in July. Nevada inmate releases are only conducted on weekdays, making Oct. 2 the first business day on which a Simpson release could be handled by state probation officials.

Tom Scotto, a close friend of Simpson, would only say Simpson was set to be released “shortly after” Oct. 1.

Scotto said he has offered to allow Simpson to stay with him in Naples, Fla., a process that would require coordination between Nevada and Florida parole officials.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He was proven innocent.

No he wasn't.

He was hated and reviled not only because of that but because that was an era were black people were expected to keep quiet and be respectful, Ali was the opposite of that.

Ali scared people because he had opinions and stuck to them. As you said he was standing up when black people were expected to sit down.

All these years later we are seeing the same thing with the NFL and society.

O.J. Simpson will be welcome at the Pro Football Hall of Fame

That is a clickbait headline and is NOTHING like ..........

Asked whether Simpson will be welcome once he’s paroled, the Hall of Fame told ESPN, “All Hall of Famers are invited to attend the annual enshrinement.”

..........this statement.......... and if I was the guy in charge of the HOF I'd call this guy on out his shit headline.

Simpson has not attended a Hall of Fame ceremony since his own enshrinement in 1985.

I wonder how many people haven't ever gone back for any events.

It can't be a big number.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
"OJ: Made in America" is one of the best documentaries ever made. Cannot recommend it highly enough. It's like 7 hours long, but unbelievably good. Part of the ESPN 30 for 30 series.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/01/o-j-simpson-is-released-from-prison/

O.J. Simpson is released from prison
Posted by Mike Florio on October 1, 2017

819710992-e1506857593893.jpg

AP

They claimed he’d be out as soon as Monday. He’s out a day earlier than that.

Eight minutes after Simpson became eligible to be released, the Nevada authorities released him.

Via the Associated Press, Nevada prisons spokesperson Brooke Keast said Simpson was released, but had no other information about his status.

“I don’t have any information on where he’s going,” Keast said, also adding that she doesn’t know who picked him up at the prison.

The claim that he’d be released as soon as Monday apparently was about keeping a horde of media away from the prison gates. And it worked.

“We needed to do this to ensure public safety and to avoid any possible incident,” Keast said.

While actual “incidents” may not occur, Simpson surely will attract media attention and fascination, unless he wants to remain underground and successfully keeps himself out of the public eye. On one hand, there’s plenty of money for the 70-year-old to make by giving interviews, signing autographs, and making appearances; on the other hand, much of it will end up in the bank accounts of the estate of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman, due to the multi-million-dollar civil verdict against him from 20 years ago.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
OJ Simpson was spotted heading for the nearest golf course, i'm looking for Nicole and Ron's killer".

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well ... Would anyone like to talk about Rams Football now!?!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Our Attorney General here in FL is trying to make it impossible for OJ to move back here. I don't think she'll be successful in the attempt... but she's calling his worthless ass out big time in the press.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Our Attorney General here in FL is trying to make it impossible for OJ to move back here. I don't think she'll be successful in the attempt... but she's calling his worthless ass out big time in the press.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/29/o-j-simpson-not-welcome-in-florida-state-ag-says.html

O.J. Simpson not welcome in Florida, state AG says

In a letter to Florida Department of Corrections Secretary Julie L. Jones, state Attorney General Pam Bondi instructed Jones to notify Nevada authorities that Florida "objects" to Simpson serving his parole there.

"Floridians are well aware of Mr. Simpson's background, his wanton disregard for the lives of others, and of his scofflaw attitude with respect to the heinous acts for which he has been found civilly liable," Bondi wrote. "The specter of his residing in comfort in Florida should not be an option ... Our state should not become a country club for this convicted criminal."

Simpson won parole in July after serving nine years of a possible 33-year sentence for his 2008 conviction on armed robbery, kidnapping and other charges.

The conviction came after a botched effort to retrieve items that Simpson insisted were stolen after his acquittal in the 1994 killings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald Goldman, in Los Angeles.

Simpson was found liable for their deaths in a civil case in 1997 and ordered to pay the victims' families $33.5 million.

Bondi's letter came after Simpson's attorney, Malcolm LaVerge, told reporters "there's no question" that the former football star is "going to Florida."

Florida Department of Corrections spokeswoman, Ashley Cook, said her agency has not received a transfer request or documents about Simpson.

Nevada prisons official Brooke Keast said plans for Simpson's release from prison are in motion, but need to be finalized. LaVergne said he will begin pressing for answers if Simpson is not free by Oct. 8.

Simpson moved to Florida from California following the judgment in the civil case. Under Florida law, homeowners cannot be forced to sell their property to pay damages resulting from a civil suit. Simpson also receives a monthly pension from the NFL, which also cannot be touched by his creditors.

A Goldman family attorney said the judgment amount has nearly doubled with interest over the years to more than $65 million, and he continues to seek payment.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It would be easy for me to take off on this topic, but I seriously doubt this forum---or hardly any others, for that matter---are ready for my take on what the OJ Simpson criminal case reveals of the general USA mentality towards publically idealized celebrities.
Loved your take bro...was gonna ask you to share...glad I kept reading and you did. We humansdo love to throw stones...while living in glass houses.
He's not really suffering in prison.

It's all relative and some prisons are worse than others. But nothing I've read about OJs stint behind bars suggests it is as tough as people imagine it. I've heard it said that most inmates would choose that prison to stay at if they could. Better food, no gang activity, few violent incidents. And OJ just happens to have gotten one of the four biggest cells there.
You can not be serious....

I'm in a federal prison every week, in fact I was there last night. They're not suffering in the form of waterboarding, chain gangs, or bread and water only, but believe me there is suffering when a grown man has every hour of every day regimented by rules enforced by guards, and being locked away from their families.
I bet in some small way...you feel as if you're in prison too....with a sense of relief when you leave....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I bet in some small way...you feel as if you're in prison too....with a sense of relief when you leave....

In some areas of my life, yes, but not while I'm at the prison. ;)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
He's lucky he didn't kill one of my kids. They would have just signed his death warrant.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
According to the Criminal Trial... He was. Sorry man.

He was not found "innocent" he was found not guilty, there is a real difference. It's not a technicality and any of our lawyers on board can tell you that's true.