The FIGHT is on (five years late?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, like I said, I got sold.

I was expecting Sugar Ray. No one could expect a hulking Hagler, but a superlative Sugar Ray with speed AND Power? Someone with a plan to WIN the fight like a CHAMP, not like this was the Olympics? Or at least a version of Mayweather who cared about backing up his trash talking and his legacy in the ring.

I forgot WHO Mayweather is for a second. I don't know of any other fighter who runs gloss anywhere in the world and then is so willing to just walk away from it. It's like the man's pride is nakedly for sale.

I really thought for a moment that if there was one thing bigger than Floyds love of money, it would be his legacy. Well, we have his legacy...and we KNOW now that NOTHING means more to Floyd than money.

Floyd coulda had the money AND the legacy but Tyson had him pegged. Frankly, I respect Tyson as a boxing mind way more than a lot of others who blather on in their suits. "Small, scared, little man."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I was expecting Sugar Ray. No one could expect a hulking Hagler, but a superlative Sugar Ray with speed AND Power? Someone with a plan to WIN the fight like a CHAMP, not like this was the Olympics? Or at least a version of Mayweather who cared about backing up his trash talking and his legacy in the ring.

I forgot WHO Mayweather is for a second. I don't know of any other fighter who runs gloss anywhere in the world and then is so willing to just walk away from it. It's like the man's pride is nakedly for sale.

I really thought for a moment that if there was one thing bigger than Floyds love of money, it would be his legacy. Well, we have his legacy...and we KNOW now that NOTHING means more to Floyd than money.

Floyd coulda had the money AND the legacy but Tyson had him pegged. Frankly, I respect Tyson as a boxing mind way more than a lot of others who blather on in their suits. "Small, scared, little man."

I didn't see the Sugar Ray match but based on your discussion of it earlier, you were deriding Leonard for running and waiting it out to win rounds. So I'm a bit confused as to why you're saying that Floyd should have beat Pacquiao like Sugar Ray beat Hagler. Hell, based on what I read, there was a true split as to whether Leonard actually beat Hagler.

Seems to me that this fight was less about Floyd failing to live up to what Sugar Ray did than it was about Pacquiao not living up to what Hagler did.

Do you think Sugar Ray would have done as much as he did if Hagler wasn't putting pressure on him to do it? In that respect, isn't it Pacquiao that failed to push Mayweather and make it truly competitive?

Don't you think Sugar Ray would have done quite a bit of dancing and running if Hagler was more or less letting him win rounds without having to go on the offensive because Hagler wasn't pressing the fight aggressively?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Wrong fight. The fights I was referencing were:

Sugar Ray v Hearns

Hearns v Hagler

Yeah, I was extremely disappointed in how Sugar Ray went after Hagler because it was so out of character.

But those other fights? All. Time. Greats.

And in both, they featured a boxer versus a puncher. Hearns had the skill to box and the heart to brawl and punch.

fearsomefour

Legend

I hear ya and I don't disagree with what you are saying.
Mayweather is Mayweather and he is comfortable with that. I will give him credit for what he is. If he wanted to run his record to 60-0 with his current approach I have little doubt he could. He is sort of a product of this age....flash and hype vs content. The 70s-90s was a great time in boxing. I don't know if it will ever get back to that level in America.
I actually like Tyson as well.

fearsomefour

Legend
Wrong fight. The fights I was referencing were:

Sugar Ray v Hearns

Hearns v Hagler

Yeah, I was extremely disappointed in how Sugar Ray went after Hagler because it was so out of character.

But those other fights? All. Time. Greats.

And in both, they featured a boxer versus a puncher. Hearns had the skill to box and the heart to brawl and punch.
Yep.
Amazing contests of will....no time for bullshit.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I hear ya and I don't disagree with what you are saying.
Mayweather is Mayweather and he is comfortable with that. I will give him credit for what he is. If he wanted to run his record to 60-0 with his current approach I have little doubt he could. He is sort of a product of this age....flash and hype vs content. The 70s-90s was a great time in boxing. I don't know if it will ever get back to that level in America.
I actually like Tyson as well.

See, I did, too, before this fight.

And, right up until this fight, I never bought a Floyd Mayweather PPV because I always knew what he was and what they entailed and I was never disappointed. I never "missed" a great fight or even a pretty good one. I did catch the OdlH/FM fight, but I didn't pay for that one and that was anti-climactic because I scored that one for OdlH and after rewatching it, I still scored it for OdlH, although closer.

And you're right, with his current style he could probably go 60-0.

Which makes Julio Cesar Chavez's initial record of 87-0 with HIS style all the more amazing, because he fought with GANAS.

Comparing Floyd's 48-0 to Rocky Marciano's 49-0 is ridiculous. Marciano did it as a heavyweight and had 43 KOs at a time when that division was STACKED with HoFers.

Marciano KNOCKED OUT Joe Louis.

Mayweather KNOCKED OUT Ricky Hatton.

Those aren't barely in the same sport, let alone the same league.

See, that's why I'm so damn mad at myself. I knew all this stuff before and I never fell for it before.

Oh well... I guess I can be like one of those who got to see Cleopatra or The Deer Hunter in theaters...