The "Did You Know" thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Screenshot_2015-04-26-14-27-36-1.png
Did you know there was actually a super-continent before Pangea called Romina? Also, for 250 million years, the Earth was solid ICE.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
More animal themes!

Did you know that the moray eel is the only animal to use a second set of jaws located in their throat (called pharyngeal jaws) to actively capture and restrain prey before swallowing them whole? Morays and roving coralgroupers are also the only fish who engage in interspecies cooperative hunting.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you know Obama was now in a wheelchair and lost his will to live?

Lol.

I saw this in the Supermarket and busted a gut laughing.

EE844E6B-07B9-43D6-A19F-60753D885E32.png_zps7rouf6kr.jpeg

Okay... Back to the serious topics!

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Did you know the Cowboys are going to win the Super Bowl next season?Jk.

Did you know Earth actually had a
ring around it at one point? There was also a million year period where the Earth was steadily bombarded by meteorites, which helped form the ocean because each one had a small amount of H2O.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Did you know that hammerhead sharks are highly revered in Hawaiian culture, regarded as protectors, and are considered to be the reincarnation of family members who have died?

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Did you know that despite common belief, Finland is not a part of Scandinavia. Scandinavia consists of Norway, Sweeden and Denmark.
The grouping that one should use when talking about Sweeden, Norway and Finland is actually 'Fennoscandia'.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Did you know the Cowboys are going to win the Super Bowl next season?Jk.

Did you know Earth actually had a
ring around it at one point? There was also a million year period where the Earth was steadily bombarded by meteorites, which helped form the ocean because each one had a small amount of H2O.

To expand on this. While it's possible that Earth had a ring at one point, perhaps right after the impact that caused the formation of the moon, it's not really known if this is indeed true or not as there's not really much evidence that confirms a ring. There was a point that Earth was steadily bombarded by different celestial objects, but it lasted from about a hundred million years. It wasn't just Earth that was hit either, the entire solar system was under such bombardment (it's known as the Late Heavy Bombardment). There are different theories about how this happened, the most likely being the Nice (pronounced neese) model.

The Nice model essentially says that originally the jovian planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune) were much closer to the sun, with Jupiter orbiting the sun twice for every one year on Saturn, and the two planets would align at the same point every two years. Due to their mass the gravity threw off the stability of the entire solar system, which caused the jovian planets to extend their orbits (eventually settling down everything in its stable state we see today), and Neptune was shot out hitting the ring of comets that orbit the solar system, sending them shooting them all over the solar system.

Because many of the comets were frozen, they did bring a lot of water to our planet (and the moon was formed during the heavy bombardment when another large body collided with our planet), but it only accounts for about half of the water we have today. Our planet also had a lot of water, or at least the ingredients for water from its birth. The steam from all the molten lava during the early formation of our planet helped create clouds as our planet cooled, which then created a water cycle, which caused a massive rainstorm that lasted for thousands of years, which created the oceans and rivers on our planets. The oceans and rivers were filled further by the comets that struck Earth. So half of our water is from our own planet, half from the comets during the LHB.

IW8simF.gif

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Just want to say; I love space and animals and this thread kicks ass!

On that note...

Did you know shooting stars actually exist? I'm not talking about meteors here.

What some people don’t know, is that real shooting stars exist; they’re called hypervelocity stars. These are big, fiery balls of gas rocketing through space at millions of miles per hour.

When a binary star system is gobbled down by a supermassive black hole at the center of a galaxy, one of the two partners is consumed, while the other is ejected at high speed. Just try to imagine a huge ball of gas, four times the size of our sun, hurtling out from our galaxy at millions of miles per hour.

Also, there is a planet called Gliese 436 B that is made up almost entirely of ice but has a surface temperature of 439 degrees celcius!! It is a hot ass planet made of ice. Because of the amount of water and the strength of the gravity the water doesn't evaporate. Would be a great planet to visit while running a fever......

Oh, one more thing. A "lightning bolt" was created by a black holes magnetic field that was 1.5 times bigger than our entire galaxy. This bolt is assumed to extend 150,000 light years....

Last but not least, the LQG(large quasar group). It consists of 74 quasars. Our galaxy spans 100,000 light years across. The LQG on the other hand......4 billion light years across. Scientists have no clue how this is, since they had ascertained the largest possible celestial body could only be 1.2 billion light years across. This breaks the rules of standard astrophysics.

Last edited:

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Did you know..........

That the Red Baron ( Manfred von Richthofen ) actually had a younger brother ( Lothar von Richthofen ) who was also a ACE Pilot during WWI and was credited with 40 air victories himself , between the two of them , they were credited with 120 air victories

RedBaron4_zpsxrvqv5q7.jpg

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Did you know that, despite media telling everyone that he is, the father of modern psychiatry is not considered Sigmund Freud by anyone who has any understanding of the theory of mental illness?

The true father of psychiatry was a German psychiatrist named Emil Kraepelin. His ideas are the basis for all modern psychiatry. Among people who do research in psychiatry and use the scientific method in their research, Freud is at best an afterthought and at worst, one of the worst things that ever happened to the field

For more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Kraepelin

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
This thread is awesome especially @bluecoconuts space stuff. Keep it coming.

Did you know that the Southern Right Whale has what are believed to be the largest testicles in the animal kingdom weighing in at 500kg/1,100lbs each. Those are some big plums!

Hydrodynamics dictates that they're internal so you won't see these things dragging along the sea bed.

LumberTubs

Name
Phil
Did you know that it would take about 205 days of continuous flight for a commercial aircraft to fly around the sun (at about 550mph).

It would take around 1100 years for the same plane to fly around the largest known star in the universe (canis majoris or something like that) - and you can bet your whale's plums that there are probably bigger stars that we don't know about.

disclaimer: the info in this post might not be 100% accurate.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Did you know that hammerhead sharks are highly revered in Hawaiian culture, regarded as protectors, and are considered to be the reincarnation of family members who have died?

I took this as the gospel when I was a little guy. My summer camps in Kauai were huge on making sure that Hawaiian culture was ingrained in all of the kids.

Several of us actually caught a hammerhead pup right on the beach during camp one time... you wouldn't believe the scolding we received. Especially this Haole right here. Very serious. We didn't even hurt the pup btw.

I really loved learning about the Polynesian cultures growing up over there. I think my favorite part was the fact that just about every Monday was some kind of holiday... they observed many more Holidays over there than we do. Three day weekends are killer...I say that as I make my way off to work now. LOL

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
(Keeping with the animal theme.)

Did you know that the now-extinct Haast's eagle was the only bird that has ever been an apex predator and that it regularly hunted twelve-foot-tall moa and occasionally grown human beings?
It's crazy to think that those things existed as little as 500 years ago. I did a little research (google search and may have learned a little)

LumberTubs

Name
Phil
Did you know that despite common belief, Finland is not a part of Scandinavia. Scandinavia consists of Norway, Sweeden and Denmark.
The grouping that one should use when talking about Sweeden, Norway and Finland is actually 'Fennoscandia'.

I like this one as well. Being half Danish (and having been to Denmark several times) I've always thought this was the case but its good to know the Fins are definitely not part of our gang. They're a strange bunch.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Did you know a man named Donald Unger won the Nobel prize for proving that popping your knuckles does NOT cause arthritis? He did this by only popping the knuckles on his last hand (and not his right) for 60 years.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Did you that if you compare the smallest measureable size- "Plancks Length" 1.616199(97)×10−35 meters to the immense size of the Universe, that the size of a human being is about half way between the smallest thing that can exist and the size of the known Universe!

Actually we Ram fans are a bit on the big size, according to Wikipedia...

"The size of the Planck length can be visualized as follows: if a particle or dot about 0.1mm in size (which is at or near the smallest the unaided human eye can see) were magnified in size to be as large as the observable universe, then inside that universe-sized "dot", the Planck length would be roughly the size of an actual 0.1mm dot. In other words, a 0.1mm dot is halfway between the Planck length and the size of the observable universe on a logarithmic scale."

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Did you know..........

That the Red Baron ( Manfred von Richthofen ) actually had a younger brother ( Lothar von Richthofen ) who was also a ACE Pilot during WWI and was credited with 40 air victories himself , between the two of them , they were credited with 120 air victories

RedBaron4_zpsxrvqv5q7.jpg

And those guys had no way out--no parachute, no eject button. When the plane went down they were doomed.

Jeff Shaara's excellent WWI novel, "To the Last man" brings the "Red Baron" to life. He was quite a character. The Germans wanted to use him for propaganda purposes but his heart wasn't in that.