The dark horse candidate for our 1st pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I got to thinking. If the rams are going to be a power running team, then why don't we have a power/ all purpose back on the roster? Mason really seems like a change of pace back to me but I think we need an actual all around back. So if cooper or white isn't there, I hope that the rams trade back and take gurley or Gordon while using the extra pick to land us a guard in the second round. A line of Robinson, a rookie (laken Tomlinson, aj cann etc), ??? At center, saffold at RG, and barksdale back with a big strong athletic back would give our offense the best results. Maybe even use another pick on a green-Beckham. I think quick and Britt with Austin and bailey running the middle is ideal personally but I can't pass on cooper or white. Any chance we go for a big time back?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Gurley were healthy or Gordon ran like Chris Johnson I might agree.
Not a fan of Gordon I see lol. I think gurley will be fine. I want a Seahawks type offense so badly. Run the ball and dare you to stack the box

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I just don't see value in a 1st round running back. Especially with Gurley coming back from injury. There are backs with comparable size without the wear and tear and plenty of potential to grind it out in the later rounds.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't see value in a 1st round running back. Especially with Gurley coming back from injury. There are backs with comparable size without the wear and tear and plenty of potential to grind it out in the later rounds.
I'm usually against first round backs but if we traded back far enough id like it. Especially if the extra picks net us some lineman. If white and cooper are gone, I don't see a receiver worth taking. Maybe a guard later in round one? I don't see huge needs on our team outside of the o-line

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I honestly don't mind the idea of Gurley with a trade back. I'll throw one out as well, Trae Waynes CB from Mich State. He's another guy I wouldn't mind with a trade down scenario. I really like the mix of OL,WR, DL and RB in this Draft. It seems to be weak on QB, LB and S IMO.

FrankenRam

Starter
Not a fan of Gordon I see lol. I think gurley will be fine. I want a Seahawks type offense so badly. Run the ball and dare you to stack the box

I want to see an O that scores more points than the D gives up in at least 10 games next year. I couldn't give a flyin' flock less how they do so.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want to see an O that scores more points than the D gives up in at least 10 games next year. I couldn't give a flyin' flock less how they do so.
Well a Seahawks/ravens philosophy is the best route for our personnel is what I'm getting at

FrankenRam

Starter
Well a Seahawks/ravens philosophy is the best route for our personnel is what I'm getting at

Possibly....though I don't think we really know what is 'the best route for our personnel' at this point. For the following reasons..
- A lot depends on how the OL shakes out.
- The Rams haven't had their #1 QB running the team in so long, I don't think we have a clue how good the passing game is...or isn't.
- Mason appears to be a good RB. How good can he be, and how big a load he can carry are still to be determined...at least for me. Is he going to be a 15-20 touches/game back or 25-30, or...?
- Why did Stacy turn into the Invisible Man last yr?
- If Mason is a 15-20 touches guy, are Bennie C and Stacy sufficient to spell him for 15-20 plays a game.

And no, Isaiah Pead is not going to have a 'breakout' season this year. I seriously doubt he even makes the team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I got to thinking. If the rams are going to be a power running team, then why don't we have a power/ all purpose back on the roster? Mason really seems like a change of pace back to me but I think we need an actual all around back. So if cooper or white isn't there, I hope that the rams trade back and take gurley or Gordon while using the extra pick to land us a guard in the second round. A line of Robinson, a rookie (laken Tomlinson, aj cann etc), ??? At center, saffold at RG, and barksdale back with a big strong athletic back would give our offense the best results. Maybe even use another pick on a green-Beckham. I think quick and Britt with Austin and bailey running the middle is ideal personally but I can't pass on cooper or white. Any chance we go for a big time back?

I like the outside the box thinking.

But; I'm thinking we are set at RB unless someone is there we like later rounds.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the outside the box thinking.

But; I'm thinking we are set at RB unless someone is there we like later rounds.
I like mason a lot. He just seems more like a change of pace scat back to me

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Possibly....though I don't think we really know what is 'the best route for our personnel' at this point. For the following reasons..
- A lot depends on how the OL shakes out.
- The Rams haven't had their #1 QB running the team in so long, I don't think we have a clue how good the passing game is...or isn't.
- Mason appears to be a good RB. How good can he be, and how big a load he can carry are still to be determined...at least for me. Is he going to be a 15-20 touches/game back or 25-30, or...?
- Why did Stacy turn into the Invisible Man last yr?
- If Mason is a 15-20 touches guy, are Bennie C and Stacy sufficient to spell him for 15-20 plays a game.

And no, Isaiah Pead is not going to have a 'breakout' season this year. I seriously doubt he even makes the team.
Totally forgot about Stacy and Bennie. I remember watching Stacy run and thinking that he needed more second level ability. He was kinda clunky and up the middle. I like mason though. Just not sure of his ability.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I thought so too heading into last season, but he changed my mind. He's a pretty solid guy and runs tough.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought so too heading into last season, but he changed my mind. He's a pretty solid guy and runs tough.
Yeah. I was watching his "wired" video on YouTube. Dude likes to thump

FrankenRam

Starter
Totally forgot about Stacy and Bennie. I remember watching Stacy run and thinking that he needed more second level ability. He was kinda clunky and up the middle. I like mason though. Just not sure of his ability.

Agreed. Mason definitely has a burst and cutting ability that Stacy doesn't. But given what Stacy did in 2013, it struck me as odd that he all but disappeared from the O last year. I'm just not totally sold on Mason being THE guy. But it's a discussion I'd be only too happy to be wrong about.

lockdnram21

Legend
Don't sleep on Mason He was the offense at Auburn. Took them all the way to championship. Fix the line and he's getting 1200-1300 yards and 8-10 TDs guaranteed

Athos

Legend

I thought that at the beginning, but then towards the end of the season, he looked run ragged. I'm not sure yet if Mason is a 3-down back. Granted, our Line wasn't the greatest at times, but he seemed to lose steam. And against the stouter Ds, he couldn't do anything. 7 games under 4 yards per touch. And I'm unconvinced of his hands out of the backfield.

I like him, but if you can get a great back to compliment him, do it.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't sleep on Mason He was the offense at Auburn. Took them all the way to championship. Fix the line and he's getting 1200-1300 yards and 8-10 TDs guaranteed
That's high numbers lol. I hope so

lockdnram21

Legend
I thought that at the beginning, but then towards the end of the season, he looked run ragged. I'm not sure yet if Mason is a 3-down back. Granted, our Line wasn't the greatest at times, but he seemed to lose steam. And against the stouter Ds, he couldn't do anything. 7 games under 4 yards per touch. And I'm unconvinced of his hands out of the backfield.
Could it have been the Line couldn't open any whole vs those defenses
I like him, but if you can get a great back to compliment him, do it.