The Chicago Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
This was the game that wrecked our season. Not because we were outplayed, but because we were sandbagged by the refs. The cause of the 24-10 deficit in the First Half can directly be placed on the zebras.

Remember, the Offense came out hot, scoring on the first possession.

Second possession: On first down, a bogus crack-back block on Brown was called. IIRC, the play netted us a first down, but that was called back. First and 20. So we punted.

Then came the fumble recovery, and on first down, Tavon scored a TD, but that was called back on another bogus holding call on Robinson. So we kicked a FG.

Now we get to the outrageous part: On first down for the Bears, the RB False Starts, but it isn't called. They go on to get a first down. Even the announcers saw that.

Next was the long screen pass that made it 24-10. But wait, there was an obvious hold that wasn't called ... again.

Some of you believe we were never in the game, but the above evidence tells me the Rams were setup to fail. And it all goes back to Joyner's hit on Teddy Bridgewater. But who knew they were going to single out Robinson and the Offense? Or ignore penalties on the Bears'?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Actually, totally agree.

Curious to see how Zimmer the whiner does against the team we just schooled.

You can bet your ass he's watching tons of film on the dirtiest team in the NFL.

Can't wait to see him lose at home.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, Seattle destroyed them in Seattle a couple of weeks ago.
Actually, that was in Minnesota. However, the weather in Minnesota this time will be much different.

Consider that the temps in Western Washington (what we call the Great Northwet) are generally in the range of 35 to 50. Keep in mind that the weather up here is not like that in Minnesota. In other words, not sub-freezing. Little Wussell is going to have a hard time throwing the football in that weather.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
The non calls and bogus ones in that game were just to obvious.Its games like that that make me wonder sometimes.Refs have to much influence on the outcome of games.This is 1 of the problems the NFL should find a solution to asap.Let a team challenge a call they think is bad,and let the game be settled by the players not the refs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I agree but i'm not pinning it on the awful officiating.

Here's the setup....

Rams are 2-3 going into the bye week, feeling "ok" about getting through a tough sled of games and beating Seattle, and Arizona on the road.
Rams trounce the Browns in the dome and win a game that they've lost in the past under Fisher.
3-3
Things look good with the upcoming schedule.
Rams trounce the Niners and again win the type of game that has given Fishers Rams trouble before.
4-3
Team is feeling really good despite Foles struggling.
Looking ahead to a tough road game in Minnesota and that's exactly what they got. A tough, close game and lose by 3 points to a good team.
No shame in that, and although it was a missed opportunity the team is still 4-4 and going home to play the beatable Bears.
The Rams receive a 100% ASS KICKING in front of their home crowd 37-13
They have now lost two straight and have to travel on the road again two straight weeks. It was the classic Fisher meltdown game just as the Rams were seemingly turning the corner. That game wrecked the psyche of the entire team IMO. They got it back later on at the end of the year but too late.
If the Rams beat the Bears then i truly believe that they very likely end the season 5-2 to finish at 10-6.

It was the Chicago game.
giphy.gif

fearsomefour

Legend
Actually, that was in Minnesota. However, the weather in Minnesota this time will be much different.

Consider that the temps in Western Washington (what we call the Great Northwet) are generally in the range of 35 to 50. Keep in mind that the weather up here is not like that in Minnesota. In other words, not sub-freezing. Little Wussell is going to have a hard time throwing the football in that weather.
You are correct, it was in Minnesota.
The temps, last I heard it was a high of single digits game say. Nice and cold. The thing is its like the Vikings have been playing in that weather much for decades. Of course, living there, they are more conditioned to it. May just come down to who runs the ball better.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That Chicago game was over when they let a te run 90 yards for a td. The d had their awful game for the year on this day. Don't know if it was a player thing or a coaching thing but something was terribly wrong that game.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I sometimes think the Rams aren't mentally ready for some games and we get schooled by sub-par teams, teams we should beat, whether thats it or not, they go into the game thinking, yeh, we're gonna breeze this one guys, and then they get their asses whooped. Whether its the coaching staff or players I don't know...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I complain a lot about the refs...but I think it's typically just incompetence. It goes both ways. The Rams typically get the worst of it because we make stupid mistakes and don't get the BOTD due to how bad we've been. However, that Chicago game was fixed. I'm not wavering on that belief. I despite Jeff Triplette. I think he's a piece of shit and a dishonest official. He does not call games down the middle. Even when he's not actively trying to screw a team, he still favors one team. On that day, he and his crew were actively trying to screw the Rams. I don't care if anybody calls me crazy or a conspiracy theorist. I don't know if anyone made the call or if he and his crew just decided they were going to stick it to us for the week before but they were out of their way to screw us in that game.

It was not simple incompetence. It was intentional. Incompetence goes both ways. As I recall, they called maybe one or two penalties on Chicago until the game reached the point where it wasn't even close. And then they called quite a few so the final stat-line didn't look so ridiculous. Prior to the game getting out of hand, they called a number of completely bogus penalties on the Rams. And missed a number of penalties that Chicago committed. Penalties that they flagged us for. And I don't mean Chicago did what we did and got away with it. I mean they called a completely incorrect penalty on the Rams and then when Chicago ACTUALLY committed that penalty, they ignored it. And we're not talking about 50/50 calls that they missed on Chicago. We're talking about blatant penalties that were pretty much impossible to miss.

That game was fixed. And if I could, I'd make damn sure Tripleshit never officiated another Rams game after that travesty. He's a dishonest prick. Games like that are why I won't be surprised when there's another reffing scandal like the Tim Donaghy scandal in the NBA.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Every team feels they get jobbed by the refs. And every team does.
Good teams overcome it and win even against other good teams.
The Bears aren't a good team.
No trophy's for participation, no excuses.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
We got screwed by the refs that game but I'm not buying this game is the reason we didn't make the playoffs or that it is responsible for making the train go off the rails. The only reason this team is not playing football in January (yet again) lies squarely in the mirror. The players and coaching staff have nobody to blame by themselves.

And a great team playing at home would have beaten the injury-plagued Bears. Regardless of the refs helping them.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
In my opinion, this game came down to 3 games, Baltimore, Minnesota and San Francisco. Our kicking game and coaching let us down. Those were there for the taking and we'd be 10-6 with those and in the playoffs, while Seattle would be sitting at home.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One more thing ...

The refs completely screwed with Robinson's mind in that game. By the end of it, Robinson didn't know what he was doing.

Moostache

Rookie
Losing to Washington, Baltimore and Minnesota was equally important to the demise of the 2015 Rams.
Minnesota and Washington teams are in the tourney largely because the Rams could not handle them, the Minnesota loss being especially galling.

Jeff Fisher coached teams ALWAYS lay eggs like the Chicago game...it's like a Geico commercial in waiting, it's what they do!
Referees are too frequently the scapegoat for failed teams. Did the ref's blow calls? Of course! Did that ALONE ruin the Rams season? Hell no!

You want to talk about referees killing someone's season, go cue up the Dallas-Detroit film from last year's playoffs and call a Lions fan!

fearsomefour

Legend
Blaming the refs for a the results of a 9 loss season is lame excuse making and nothing more.
The Rams inability to put together a winning season has to do with the teams inability to execute, the coaching and thats it.
I saw plenty of bad officiating this year and every year affecting plenty of teams.
What the team couldn't over come was inconsistent coaching, horrible QB play, shifting O line lineups, break downs on occasion on defense, missed FGs and as always a slew of injuries.
No conspiracy. Nothing to see here.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I complain a lot about the refs...but I think it's typically just incompetence. It goes both ways. The Rams typically get the worst of it because we make stupid mistakes and don't get the BOTD due to how bad we've been. However, that Chicago game was fixed. I'm not wavering on that belief. I despite Jeff Triplette. I think he's a piece of crap and a dishonest official. He does not call games down the middle. Even when he's not actively trying to screw a team, he still favors one team. On that day, he and his crew were actively trying to screw the Rams. I don't care if anybody calls me crazy or a conspiracy theorist. I don't know if anyone made the call or if he and his crew just decided they were going to stick it to us for the week before but they were out of their way to screw us in that game.

It was not simple incompetence. It was intentional. Incompetence goes both ways. As I recall, they called maybe one or two penalties on Chicago until the game reached the point where it wasn't even close. And then they called quite a few so the final stat-line didn't look so ridiculous. Prior to the game getting out of hand, they called a number of completely bogus penalties on the Rams. And missed a number of penalties that Chicago committed. Penalties that they flagged us for. And I don't mean Chicago did what we did and got away with it. I mean they called a completely incorrect penalty on the Rams and then when Chicago ACTUALLY committed that penalty, they ignored it. And we're not talking about 50/50 calls that they missed on Chicago. We're talking about blatant penalties that were pretty much impossible to miss.

That game was fixed. And if I could, I'd make damn sure Tripleshit never officiated another Rams game after that travesty. He's a dishonest prick. Games like that are why I won't be surprised when there's another reffing scandal like the Tim Donaghy scandal in the NBA.
I don't think there is anything conspiracy theorist about the notion. Any time you have that much money to be made, spending a little extra for insurance where possible should actually be expected. I also think that there is money involved in setting up the schedules.