The best part about the Skins win over the Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
All 8 of the talking heads on ESPN's Monday Night Countdown where absolutely positively sure that the Cowboys would win easily, and they were all wrong. I watched the whole game and it momentarily restored my faith in the NFL.

Jim Haslett outcoaching Scott Linehan was like watching a chess match. A good game on Monday night for a change.

Btw @Rynie the Cowboys should never have allowed Romo back into the game because Weeden had given the team momentum, which was especially noticeable with the running game. And watching that clown Jerry Jones running along the sidelines was both disturbing and lol at the same time.
--------------
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/28/dallas-cowboys-washington-redskins-tony-romo-back-injury-nfl/

romo-story.jpg

Brandon Wade/AP

The Drama in Dallas
It wasn't the prettiest, but Washington's 20-17 OT win over Dallas on Monday night certainly was memorable. Here are my thoughts on the Tony Romo medical decision, Colt McCoy's new job, the Cowboys' bad play-calling and much more
By Peter King

Washington’s 20-17 overtime stunner over Dallas wasn’t one of the best Monday night games I’ve ever seen. But it was one of the most dramatic. And it had plenty of subplots we’ll be talking about for awhile.

The five headlines from this game that will reverberate:

1. The Cowboys better know what they’re doing with Tony Romo.
The Dallas quarterback was knocked out of the game midway through the third quarter when Washington linebacker Keenan Robinson sacked him on an up-the-middle blitz and kneed him in the back. Romo was out for 21 game minutes, replaced by Brandon Weeden, until coming back for the final two fruitless Dallas series of the games. Romo could be seen on ESPN arguing with doctors trying to get back into the game, and he confirmed after the game he took a pain-killing injection to enable him to return. The Cowboys said the injury was a back contusion and not related to the serious back surgery he had early in the off-season.

In retrospect, Dallas did such a poor job of handling the Washington seven-man pass-rush (Romo said this was the most zero blitzes he’s ever faced as a pro, and Washington defensive coordinator Jim Haslett clearly knew where Dallas’ soft spot was) that the Cowboys should have thought more seriously about keeping Romo out and letting Weeden play the final few minutes. Especially because Weeden was competent: four of six for 69 yards and a touchdown pass to Jason Witten. “I didn’t think we were risking anything,” said owner Jerry Jones afterward. “It was a contusion.” The risk, though, was in the blitz getting to Romo consistently and him not being able to get out of the way.

And if Romo thinks he saw a lot of odd-man blitzes Monday night, wait until Sunday. Arizona defensive coordinator Todd Bowles sends safeties from everywhere, and they’re bruising hitters.

colt-mccoy.jpg

Colt McCoy (Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

2. Colt McCoy earned a new job in Washington.
With his 299-yard, only-five-incompletions performance in Dallas, McCoy has firmly supplanted Kirk Cousins as the backup to the brittle Robert Griffin III, an important role in Washington.

McCoy hadn’t started a game since the infamous missed-concussion game in Pittsburgh almost three years ago. In that December 2011 game, McCoy was leveled hard by James Harrison and got knocked woozy—but the concussion was never diagnosed on the field or at the game, and McCoy and his family were furious at the club’s handling of it. But he was likely on his way out in Cleveland anyway; he lost his last five games and was later traded to the 49ers. As Washington’s third-stringer, he only got the chance to start Monday because of the failings of Kirk Cousins.

“I made a ton of mistakes early in the game,” McCoy said. “A little rusty. I missed a few things. I called a play wrong in the huddle one time. The receivers got a little frustrated early. I short-armed a couple throws. But I grew up as the game went along. I made some plays down the stretch that good teams have to make to win games.’’

Amazingly, he rebounded to complete 25 of 30 throws, including the key play on the winning drive in overtime. The play began at the Dallas 45 with 12:25 left. Flushed to the left by the Dallas pass-rush, McCoy motioned for tight end Jordan Reed to get free down the field, and, throwing across his body fading left, McCoy rainbowed a perfect throw to Reed, who somehow got both feet in at the Dallas 29. Now Washington was in field-goal range, and three plays later, Kai Forbath hit the 40-yarder that eventually won the game. A shaky beginning turned into a heroic end, and if Washington has to play one more game with McCoy before Robert Griffin III returns from injury, the organization will feel better about him playing than if Cousins were still under center.

3. Dallas did a bad job calling plays late in the game.
Running back DeMarco Murray is the biggest weapon the Cowboys have this season. With 1,054 rushing yards through eight games, he’s officially apace to set the NFL’s all-time single-season rushing record (2,105, Eric Dickerson, 1984). But that wasn’t good enough to carry the mail with the game on the line Monday night.

On the last 13 plays of regulation and the last three plays of overtime, Murray didn’t get a rushing attempt. All of this despite the fact that Murray’s last five runs Monday night were for 51, 3, 5, 9 and 8 yards. Here’s where the play-calling mismanagement really cost Dallas: Trailing 20-17 in overtime, the Cowboys took over at their 20 with 9:43 left. Murray went over right tackle for eight fairly easy yards. Then the Cowboys called a pass in the flat to Murray (loss of one), and then incomplete passes to Witten and Dez Bryant. Second-and-2 at the 28 is where you just want Murray to take over the game, which he’d shown every sign of being able to do … and he never got the ball with a head of steam again. Awful play-calling by the Dallas coaches.

4. Bashaud Breeland entered the national consciousness.
After playing a great game on Dez Bryant, it’s clear Breeland—the 102nd overall pick in last May’s draft—is afraid of nothing. Before Monday night, he’d only been notable for getting arrested for possession of marijuana during training camp this summer. But he was the Washington defender most often on Bryant (second-year man David Amerson also had some coverage duty), and Bryant was held to three catches for 30 yards. And it was Breeland who knocked away the final Romo pass of the game in overtime, a ball that would have been complete to Bryant without Breeland’s outstretched arms getting in the way. “Our young corners are growing up big-time,” said coach Jay Gruden.

During the week leading up to the game, Breeland seemed very confident he could stay with Bryant, though he gave away three inches and 26 pounds in the matchup. “He’s a good receiver,” Breeland had said. “He’s got great hands. He has great ball skills. So you’ve just got to be patient with him, physical with him and he’ll be physical with you.” That’s how it played out. Washington flew home this morning secure in the knowledge that its rookie starting corner can play well on a national stage against a franchise receiver. That’s big. (So big, even NBA star Kevin Durant noticed.)

5. Dallas suffered a major loss on defense.
After the game, owner Jerry Jones said linebacker Justin Durant, a sideline-to-sideline playmaker who defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli called one of the most underrated players in the league, suffered a torn biceps. That likely means Durant is out for the year. He played a huge role in the game that put the Cowboys among the marquee teams, the upset over Seattle in Week 6. When he left the game Monday, you could see Washington’s skill players more comfortable on the edges, where Durant excelled. With Sean Lee already on IR, Dallas’ two best linebackers are out for the season, and you can only do so much patching before those injuries really take a toll.

The season took a hard, and unexpected, turn for Dallas on Monday night, and the loss of Durant will be tough for Marinelli to overcome. But the Cowboys still lead the NFC East (6-2 to Philadelphia’s 5-2 mark), and if Romo is okay, they’ll be contending deep into December. Which, incidentally, is when this intense rivalry will play chapter two. Dallas is at Washington in the regular-season finale Dec. 28.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Turnovers killed the "boys ,I agree ,Weeden should have been left in the game and Garret should have taken a page out of Fisher's book on letting Romo talk him into returning , like erring on the side of caution with Hills injury Garrett should not have exposed Romo to further injury last night JMO.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
With Romo's back injury history I couldn't believe they got him back in there. It was a horrible looking knee in the small of the back. Was that an executive decision by Jerruh overruling his head coach?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
With Romo's back injury history I couldn't believe they got him back in there. It was a horrible looking knee in the small of the back. Was that an executive decision by Jerruh overruling his head coach?
I was wondering the same thing myself, as if the Redskins didn't smell the blood in the water when Romo went back in. They had it goin on with Weeden and I think everyone's face told the story that if Romo WAS done their season was not going to end in the SB probably not the playoffs so even if they lost last night and it prevented them from risking further injury to Romo it was the "right decision".

Athos

Legend
Wait, so that bone crushing hit on Romo was called a legal sack, but that bone crushing sack by, Brockers wasn't it? was unabated to the QB.

Fuck the officials.

At any rate, Romo never seems to be wise in how he takes sacks when he sees the guys coming right at him. If I was a QB, I'd flop like a soccer player to make sure I didn't get pummeled.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Somewhere there's that one guy that said draft Suh then McCoy jumping up and down screaming "See See I was right".:cool:

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
It's like our offensive line never saw a blitz before. And Jerry needs to DIE yesterday.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Weeden led them on 2 scoring drives.
Foolish to let Romo back in the game. I couldn't believe they did it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's like our offensive line never saw a blitz before. And Jerry needs to DIE yesterday.

It's not that I'm clairvoyant or anything but when I saw Jerruh hovering outside where Romo was getting checked out, and then saw him running around the sidelines basking in the glow of his ego, I figured this wouldn't end well. Plus my Pastor the Cowboys fan was on the phone with me while we were both watching the game and will probably blame me for the loss. :LOL:

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Seriously. I will CELEBRATE that man's death. I'm not kidding.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Seriously. I will CELEBRATE that man's death. I'm not kidding.

Isn't that a little...extreme? There has to be a petition somewhere that needs however many signatures to get him fired or something like that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-one-of-his-jobs-to-help-the-other-sort-of/

Ryan Clark uses one of his jobs to help the other, sort of
Posted by Mike Florio on October 28, 2014

ryanclark.jpg
Getty Images

Washington safety Ryan Clark has spent the past two offseasons working for ESPN. And ESPN recently did him a favor when it comes to his primary employment, in a way.

Via Michael Phillips of the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Clark seized on the disrespect of his team emanating from ESPN’s promos for Monday night’s game against the Cowboys. Clark shared that fact with his teammates to help get them fired up for the game.

“It wasn’t the Cowboys vs. the Redskins,” Clark said. “We had no highlights on that commercial. I noticed that.”

The simple explanation is that the two-win Washington team with third-string quarterback wouldn’t deliver eyeballs — especially in comparison to the 6-1 (before the game) Cowboys. But why dabble in common sense when there’s a way to twist a marketing gimmick into a chip on the shoulder?

Regardless of whether it was an actual show of disrespect, it worked. And while Clark may be tempted to direct a certain phrase ending in “you” at ESPN, the first word should be “thank.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSbl1BFcO7k

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I love it when Jerry Jones loses. He is an a$$. I hate the cowgirls as much as seattle and san francisco. I didn't watch the post-game show, but I bet trent dillhole back tracked on every prediction he made in pre-game, and talked up McCoy as the next greatest QB in the league. Watching the cowgirls lose is better than a great day at work! Sorry Rynie.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The Skins will continue to flounder at the bottom of their division. They will bring back RGIII and unfortunately he will get hurt again due to his skinny legs and reckless style. The Cowboys will probably get in as a wild card and then someone, most likely Romo, will screw up big time and that will be the end of their season. As Yogi Berra once said, "It's like deja-vu all over again." Don't ask for my prognostication on our team, I don't want to get depressed.

jjab360

Legend
Not gonna lie though, the way he's pieced that O-line together has been pretty impressive to watch. Neither Murray nor Romo are truly great players but they both look elite because of the 5 guys playing in front of them.

jjab360

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-one-of-his-jobs-to-help-the-other-sort-of/

Ryan Clark uses one of his jobs to help the other, sort of
Posted by Mike Florio on October 28, 2014

ryanclark.jpg
Getty Images

Washington safety Ryan Clark has spent the past two offseasons working for ESPN. And ESPN recently did him a favor when it comes to his primary employment, in a way.

Via Michael Phillips of the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Clark seized on the disrespect of his team emanating from ESPN’s promos for Monday night’s game against the Cowboys. Clark shared that fact with his teammates to help get them fired up for the game.

“It wasn’t the Cowboys vs. the Redskins,” Clark said. “We had no highlights on that commercial. I noticed that.”

The simple explanation is that the two-win Washington team with third-string quarterback wouldn’t deliver eyeballs — especially in comparison to the 6-1 (before the game) Cowboys. But why dabble in common sense when there’s a way to twist a marketing gimmick into a chip on the shoulder?

Regardless of whether it was an actual show of disrespect, it worked. And while Clark may be tempted to direct a certain phrase ending in “you” at ESPN, the first word should be “thank.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSbl1BFcO7k

I noticed that too. I don't even like the Skins but it's just like "wow, really?". Just so disrespectful, they pulled the same BS when the Rams were on MNF a few weeks ago.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Not gonna lie though, the way he's pieced that O-line together has been pretty impressive to watch. Neither Murray nor Romo are truly great players but they both look elite because of the 5 guys playing in front of them.

I snorted and rolled my eyes when the Cowboys drafted C Travis Frederick in the first round of the draft because centers don't usually get drafted that high. I was totally wrong. He is paying off big-time for them.