The 2015 NFL Criminals Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's better he plays in the nfl. He's gonna beat up women no matter what his job is. at least the women can get paid big bucks if he stays in the nfl and keeps paying them off to drop assault charges against him.

That's the most bassackwards logic I've read in a while.

It's better if he stops beating women!

Short of that, he needs to go to prison. Pretty sure that stops him...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

He wouldn't have gotten off in CA.
In CA it's not the victims decision with domestic abuse cases. Prosecutors will go to trial if they believe they have enough evidence.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Yep. Doesn't always work, but it's a lot harder to get away with it in states where DV is a crime against the state.

Based on the evidence the police collected at the scene, pretty sure under CA law, he'd have been toast...

I'm certain his lawyer appraised him regarding how lucky he was regarding jurisdiction.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it's so assbackwoods you know it makes sense. women will be seeking him out, hoping to get a few love taps so they can go running to the police and then wait for the payday.

and please, before you retort, there are alot of crazy/manipulative women out there.

Alan

Legend
kurtfaulk continuing his convoluted reasoning:
it's so assbackwoods you know it makes sense. women will be seeking him out, hoping to get a few love taps so they can go running to the police and then wait for the payday.

and please, before you retort, there are alot of crazy/manipulative women out there.
Of course there are but how does that justify condoning this: "He's gonna beat up women no matter what his job is."

When you look back at what you wrote today you'll probably say "Wow, did I write that?" :eek:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course there are but how does that justify condoning this: "He's gonna beat up women no matter what his job is."

When you look back at what you wrote today you'll probably say "Wow, did I write that?" :eek:

how am i condoning it? woman beaters are what they are, there's no changing them.

Alan

Legend
kurtfaulk not realizing what he said:
how am i condoning it? woman beaters are what they are, there's no changing them.
How is this "It's better he plays in the nfl. " not condoning his behavior? Better than what? Going to prison? I don't think so.
con·done
kənˈdōn/
verb
  1. accept and allow (behavior that is considered morally wrong or offensive) to continue.
    "the college cannot condone any behavior that involves illicit drugs"
    synonyms:disregard, accept, allow, let pass, turn a blind eye to, overlook, forget
    • approve or sanction (something), especially with reluctance.
      "the practice is not officially condoned by any airline"

Just because a woman might be better compensated for some of her pain and suffering because he makes a good living in the NFL is NOT a good reason to let him run loose in public much less allow him to play in the NFL. By that reasoning, rich guys should be exempt from laws that punish that kind of behavior because they can provide solid incomes to select women. :LOL:

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/23/nfl-greg-hardy-the-mmqb-mailbag-nfl-schedule-making/

hardy-960.jpg

Grant Halverson/Getty Images

Hardy’s New Bench Trial
Greg Hardy was convicted and then cleared of domestic-abuse charges by the North Carolina judicial system. A look at why the NFL’s new disciplinary process still suspended him for 10 games
By Peter King

The new NFL was on display Wednesday afternoon when it suspended Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy for the first 10 games of 2015 season, without pay, for allegedly assaulting and threatening to kill his former girlfriend in May 2014.

Though a judge found him guilty in a bench trial last July, Hardy was ultimately cleared of wrongdoing by the North Carolina judicial system in February, when prosecutors dropped charges instead of proceeding to a jury trial.

But the new NFL, in which a former sex-crimes prosecutor handles domestic-violence investigations and a former ATF czar oversees disciplinary rulings, didn’t rely on a conviction in order to proceed with severe punishment.

The NFL Players Association will likely appeal the suspension, and argue that Hardy’s being unable to play in 15 games last year while on the commissioner’s exempt list (with pay) should count as a suspension and time served.

My guess is that the NFLPA will win a reduction in the 10-game suspension, the same way it won lesser sanctions for Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson in their respective domestic-abuse cases. Such an appeal and a possible adjustment to the suspension won’t surprise the NFL—nor will it alter the league’s new way of handing down discipline in these types of cases.

It was clear that the NFL was going to suspend Hardy for at least six games, and probably more, after Roger Goodell put more teeth into his domestic-violence policy last August. At that time, part of his letter to team owners about his new policy said:

“Effective immediately, violations of the Personal Conduct Policy regarding assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involve physical force will be subject to a suspension without pay of six games for a first offense, with consideration given to mitigating factors, as well as a longer suspension when circumstances warrant.

Among the circumstances that would merit a more severe penalty would be a prior incident before joining the NFL, or violence involving a weapon, choking, repeated striking, or when the act is committed against a pregnant woman or in the presence of a child.”

A reasonable argument can be made that someone who was suspended with pay last year—and that’s essentially what the commissioner’s exempt list did to Hardy—should not be double-jeopardized and have to serve another suspension (without pay) in 2015. But this is something the NFL had to do, or it would have been accused of not backing up its new policies with legitimate action.

If this 10-game suspension stands, then Hardy will be held out of 25 games, one-and-a-half seasons of play. That would the longest contiguous suspension of any active player in league history. We’ll see if, on appeal, Hardy’s punishment is deemed egregious.

Hardy never faced a jury trial in North Carolina because prosecutors couldn’t locate the alleged victim, Nicole Holder. (According to media reports, she had reached an agreement with Hardy in a civil suit.) Lisa Friel, the former sex-crimes prosecutor who is now the NFL’s senior vice president and special counsel for investigations, attempted to interview Holder but wasn’t able to.

Most of the NFL’s evidence was gleaned from the disturbing testimony, documents and photos that were presented at the bench trial nine months ago. In that trial, Holder testified that Hardy threw her onto a bed filled with guns in his Charlotte home, that he put his hands on her throat and left visible marks, and that he threatened to kill her.

According to the NFL’s press release on Wednesday, the league described another aggravating element that factored into Hardy’s suspension: “The NFL’s investigation also concluded that Hardy failed to provide complete and accurate information to NFL investigators and members of the NFL staff.”

A month after the NFL hired B. Todd Jones away from the ATF to oversee player discipline, the league suspended Hardy for 10 games just days after he filed paperwork in North Carolina to have the domestic-abuse charges officially expunged from his record. In March, Hardy signed an incentive-laden, one-year deal with the Cowboys that could have been worth as much as $13.1 million if he were to play the whole season.

In the old NFL, in the absence of a legal conviction, he might have played virtually the entire 2015 season. But with Friel having conducted her own investigation, and concluding that weapons were present in the alleged assault, that Hardy put hands around the neck of the victim, and that he wasn’t entirely forthcoming in his dealings with the league, he won’t be eligible to return until the Cowboys play his old team, the Panthers, on Thanksgiving Day.

My view: Whether the NFL wins or loses this on appeal, a message has been sent. The new policy puts teeth into rulings on domestic violence cases that didn’t exist before.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I just can't go there.

Raising daughters changed all that for me.

Now, some things just ain't funny to me and never will be.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
As for the appeal, the NFLPA should make contingent any support based upon contrition.

It's one thing if a person is arguing total innocence. However, the evidence here is overwhelming and substantial. The ONLY reason he's not in jail is NCs legal system.

I would support the NFLPA changing their rules to allow them to withdraw support if the members actions subsequently did not contain remorse or contrition or sought to damage the union. Other unions have rules like that...they won't support a member of they are arrested and lose a job for pedophilia, for example. There are other examples. Point is that union support doesn't have to be absolute and the NFLPA needs to flex some internal muscle and take the NFL out of the picture by letting members know that membership has duties and responsibilities.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-found-greg-hardys-explanations-not-credible/

NFL’s investigation found Greg Hardy’s explanations not credible
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 23, 2015

Greg Hardy managed to avoid any criminal penalties in connection with the domestic violence accusations leveled against him last year. But the NFL’s own investigation concluded that Hardy did commit an act of violence and was dishonest when asked directly about it.

Jeff Pash, the NFL’s executive vice president and general counsel, said on Outside the Lines that the NFL (which was burned by the Ray Rice case) will no longer rely on the legal system. Instead, the NFL conducts its own investigations, and Pash said the league’s investigation found that Hardy committed “a significant act of violence.”

“This suspension was imposed after a lengthy and detailed independent investigation of the kind we really hadn’t done before,” Pash said. “We did an independent investigation, we didn’t rely simply on the record here.”

Pash also said Hardy and his representatives were given ample opportunity to give his side of the story, and that the NFL found Hardy had engaged in “a failure to be candid in the context of the investigation.”

“His explanations of the events that happened last May simply could not be reconciled with the testimony of other witnesses, with other objective evidence, or with, frankly, some of the variations in testimony over time from Mr. Hardy,” Pash said.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell made the final call on the decision to suspend Hardy without pay for the first 10 games of the 2015 season. That’s a decision that Hardy will appeal, but that the NFL insists was made after the kind of thorough investigation that wasn’t conducted with Ray Rice.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Hard to know what to make of that ...

A guy is found to have committed a significant act of violence and then lies to the investigators looking into it and yet, he will still get to play this season.

I think they should just do away with the personal conduct policy - keep suspensions only to players who gain a competitive advantage and be done with it.

Otherwise, the league will continue to look soft on stuff that they say they take seriously.

If I were investigating an employee and I came away convinced that they were lying to me in my investigation, they wouldn't be my employee anymore.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Hardy's only basis for appeal is that he committed his felonious assault BEFORE the new rules took place.

Thus, he wants to be punished by the old Roger Goodell, the same guy who only gave Ray Rice 2 games.

At the same time, he's trying to say to the NC courts that because Ms Holder took his civil settlement, he wants his record expunged and the bench verdict of guilty actually removed from the record as well as all evidence.

Note: at no time has he said what he did was wrong. Not once.

So, in one breath he's saying, "my violation occurred prior to the new rules, so you have to punish me under the old rules" and in the next breath, he's saying, "what violation? I don't see any victim..."

What a complete POS.

One thing the Commish can do even if the suspension is reduced is REQUIRE Counseling, demand he apologize, demand he make himself available to the media and accept responsibility for his actions prior to reinstatement. Failure to comply would put him under the new rules.

I don't care if it's a total CYA move, in a fight between Goodell and Hardy, I'm 100% in Goodell's corner. It's time Goodell used some of those corporate scumbag lawyer tricks for good instead of for evil...

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I just can't go there.

Raising daughters changed all that for me.

Now, some things just ain't funny to me and never will be.
He's a shitbag. If there are 4 known cases, there's probably 400 unknown. In these situations, I always wonder about the father of the victim. It must be extremely difficult not to come after that asshat with a bat and brass knuckles. If I was a Carolina fan I certainly wouldn't want this guy wearing my colors. I don't even like him stinking up my NFL. 10 games is light. Very light.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ated-when-teammate-called-him-a-woman-beater/

Greg Hardy flap escalated when teammate “called him a woman beater”
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 24, 2015

It didn’t take much imagination to see the latest twist in the Greg Hardy story, after he was involved in a verbal altercation with a teammate during the first week of Cowboys conditioning workouts

According to Rand Getlin of Yahoo Sports, the incident escalated when Davon Coleman referred to Hardy’s history of domestic violence.

He called him a woman beater,” a source told Getlin.

The first reports from FOX Sports said Hardy challenged Coleman’s effort during conditioning work.

Hardy is suspended for 10 games for last year’s domestic violence incident involving an ex-girlfriend. He has appealed that suspension, as you’d imagine.

But if Hardy can’t get through the first week of running and weightlifting without someone getting under his skin, imagine what’s going to be said when he takes the field against another team.

Coleman made the Cowboys last year as an undrafted rookie, and started the opener before injuries derailed his season.

But they obviously have less invested in him than Hardy, so it’ll be curious to see how this story develops. But a guy who got a harsher-than-he-expected punishment for a number of mitigating factors isn’t doing a good job of showing he can control his temper.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
What? He doesn't like being called a woman beater? Truth sting a little, does it? I don't know if he is really going to change, and the past can't be undone, but public/peer humiliation is certainly a powerful motivator. Be a man, boy!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good for Davon Coleman for saying the absolute fucking right thing. Did little Hardy get his feelings hurt? It probably didn't hurt near as much as what he did to his girlfriend.

If the Cowboys cut Coleman for this, I'll gladly take him on the Rams as a defensive role player.