Textgate/Noisegate - Punishments handed out

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ose-a-draft-pick-ray-farmer-may-be-suspended/

Textgate: Browns may lose a draft pick, Ray Farmer may be suspended
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 4, 2015

afbf5f2d95a1e48ccc92f31781eaae3e-e1392561392759.jpeg
AP

Browns General Manager Ray Farmer could get suspended, and the team could lose a draft pick, over the investigation that is becoming known as Textgate.

Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com reports that multiple league sources say a suspension, a draft pick forfeiture and a fine are all on the table as the NFL investigates whether team executives texted the coaching staff during games to suggest play calls. That would be a violation of league rules, which limit the types of electronic communications that players, coaches and other team officials can use during games.

According to the report, the investigation could be finished as soon as this week.

One of the reasons that offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan left the Browns at the end of the season is apparently that he felt the front office was meddling in decisions that should have been left to the coaching staff. In particular, executives were reportedly texting Shanahan during games to tell him which plays they wanted called.

The Browns have neither confirmed nor denied that executives texted coaches during games. The team says it is cooperating with the NFL’s investigation.

The Browns are one of three teams being investigated for allegedly breaking rules during games. The Patriots are also being investigated for Deflategate, while the Falcons are being investigated for Noisegate.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If true, the Browns are never going to be able to get the right mix of coaches needed to win it all. What a joke of an organization and IMO it all starts with Haslam.

Say what you will of the Rams, but with Kroenke's hands-off and patient style coaching the Rams is going to be an elite job in the minds of NFL coaches in the years ahead.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If the Browns lose a draft pick and the Falcons lose a draft pick... as I suspect both will...

And the Pats get off with a warning... as I suspect they will...

This will be like Ray Rice... all over again... a colossal error in judgment seen in all the ways that's bad for the NFL... collusion, favoritism, even potentially that the game itself is fixed.

Seriously... if Goodell lives up to his NFL Presser and hammers the Browns and Falcons on the "integrity of the game" grounds and then doesn't do the same with the Pats...

The fallout will be huge. I had thought this would all go away, but now with TWO separate instances in front of him with arguably much smaller offenses that are almost certainly going to see much larger punishments...

Has Goodell learned anything?

We'll see. I don't think so, which could lead this off-season to being a circus.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm all for the Patriots, Falcons, and Browns losing as many draft picks as possible - preferably high ones.

iced

If the Browns lose a draft pick and the Falcons lose a draft pick... as I suspect both will...

And the Pats get off with a warning... as I suspect they will...

This will be like Ray Rice... all over again... a colossal error in judgment seen in all the ways that's bad for the NFL... collusion, favoritism, even potentially that the game itself is fixed.

Seriously... if Goodell lives up to his NFL Presser and hammers the Browns and Falcons on the "integrity of the game" grounds and then doesn't do the same with the Pats...

The fallout will be huge. I had thought this would all go away, but now with TWO separate instances in front of him with arguably much smaller offenses that are almost certainly going to see much larger punishments...

Has Goodell learned anything?

We'll see. I don't think so, which could lead this off-season to being a circus.

For me the integrity of the game is in serious doubt, especially with the way Goodell has ran this organization since becoming commissioner.

I've given this a lot of thought over the past week or 2 - If the Rams move to LA and Goodell ignores the relocation rules or makes up as he goes along (like he has when it comes to many things), I'll quit watching the NFL until Goodell is no longer commissioner.

People may think I might be over reacting - but as it stands right now, it's becoming harder and harder for me to watch the nfl and take it seriously...

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
For me the integrity of the game is in serious doubt, especially with the way Goodell has ran this organization since becoming commissioner.

I've given this a lot of thought over the past week or 2 - If the Rams move to LA and Goodell ignores the relocation rules or makes up as he goes along (like he has when it comes to many things), I'll quit watching the NFL until Goodell is no longer commissioner.

People may think I might be over reacting - but as it stands right now, it's becoming harder and harder for me to watch the nfl and take it seriously...
As far as relocation approval goes, that's by a vote of the owners, and not by Goodell. If Kronke can get 24 owners to vote his way, it does not matter what the NFL written rules are.

iced

As far as relocation approval goes, that's by a vote of the owners, and not by Goodell. If Kronke can get 24 owners to vote his way, it does not matter what the NFL written rules are.

There are relocation rules that are written though - I'm just saying if St.Louis complies within those rules yet they're allowed to leave, or the rules are ignored, then that would be my final straw.

If the Rams leave and St.Louis can't or won't build a stadium, that's one thing.. but "exhausting all options in good faith" or whatever that by law stated is one in particular i'm talking about..if the stadium can be worked out and financed, and they still leave, that's closer to what i'm getting at...

Here's a better way to put it: The only reason that I keep watching is because I'm a Ram fan...If I didn't have a team or was a casual fan, I wouldn't watch....which is hard for me to say cause I absolutely love football and am passionate about it - but at that point I'd just stick to college football because I really do feel Goodell has slowly destroyed the credibility and image of a game I once thoroughly enjoyed

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OMG, I'm so tired of anything that has the word "gate" in it.
Yeah... I hear there's another investigation going on in Foxboro.

Seems the Patriots instructed security to pretend the gate to the stadium that the visiting team enters from was broken. It delayed the opponent to the point they had reduced time to get ready for the game.

It's being referred to as Gategate.
:)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Just another clever way to keep the focus off of Robert Kraft and his corrupt relationship with Goodell concerning their cheating BS. Deflate gate is already fading from the memory of the general public. Nice work!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
In a few years...

"Every team has forfeited their Round 1 pick, so we now begin the draft with Round 2"

(with the Rams having traded their 1st round pick that year of course... ;) )

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think we had paradegate today...The Cheatriots tried desperately to convince people (read LYING) that outside of New England more than 10 other people watched (or cared about) their parade nationwide...