Texans Open To Trading #1 Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sounds like fodder. "Blow me away with an offer" stuff.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10238006/houston-texans-owner-bob-mcnair-open-trading-no-1-pick

dm_140103_nfl_texans_open_to_trade_news.jpg

HOUSTON -- Texans owner Bob McNair is open to trading out of the No. 1 overall selection in this year's NFL draft.

"Maybe we'll trade down and still get a quarterback that can do the job and get an outstanding defensive player," McNair said Friday. "It's an exciting time. Everything's a moving target. Lot of different pieces."

The Texans secured the top pick with a league-worst 2-14 record this season. They fired coach Gary Kubiak on Dec. 6 and officially announced the hiring of Bill O'Brien on Friday to be the franchise's third head coach.

Houston needs a quarterback with the likely departure of veteran Matt Schaub and the struggles of young quarterback Case Keenum, who started eight games and didn't win any of them.

"I don't think you take a particular position just because you need a particular position at any point in the draft, especially the first pick," Texans general manager Rick Smith said. "So we'll rank it, we'll value it, and we'll make good choices if the opportunity presents itself to move back because it is a very valuable pick, and we'll entertain those as well."

This is the third time the Texans have had the No. 1 overall pick, and each time it has coincided with a new head coach. With their first No. 1 overall pick, the expansion Texans selected quarterback David Carr in 2002. With their second in 2006, the Texans took pass-rusher Mario Williams.

Unfortunately, both suffered losing seasons in those years, combining to go 10-22.

"The defensive player worked out better than the offensive player," McNair said with a chuckle. "That won't lock us into anything."

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He just wants an RGKnee trade. The league's been salvitating over what we got, especially recently.

Alan

Legend
Bastard!
Bastardo (for our Hispanic members) !
Kay Sicky (for our Korean members) !

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Expressed this in another post, different thread. We may not get the treasure trove we all want! 2 second rounders this year, something next.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Expressed this in another post, different thread. We may not get the treasure trove we all want! 2 second rounders this year, something next.

That's not chump change. I'm game.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Dude looks like that South African dickhead in the Lethal Weapon movie.

What a tool. So you tell any QB on your roster that they suck and you can replace them and another starter on defense without batting an eye. While it may be true, it's a bit glib don't you think?

I think fortunately, there are pretty good prospects on both sides of the ball leading off the draft. I agree with CGI in that this is a plea for a "blow me away" type offer. I doubt we will be able to garner the kind of trade down we got with Snyder even if the Texans held pat so ... meh.

That being said, I think I am on board with taking the best O-lineman in the draft with our 2nd overall. After that, I'd be cool with trading back up to get Watkins if he is a real stud WR. Then go after a Safety in FA where I believe there may be some good value.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
HOUSTON -- Texans owner Bob McNair is open to trading out of the No. 1 overall selection in this year's NFL draft.

"Maybe we'll trade down and still get a quarterback that can do the job and get an outstanding defensive player," McNair said Friday. "It's an exciting time. Everything's a moving target. Lot of different pieces."

The Texans secured the top pick with a league-worst 2-14 record this season. They fired coach Gary Kubiak on Dec. 6 and officially announced the hiring of Bill O'Brien on Friday to be the franchise's third head coach.

Houston needs a quarterback with the likely departure of veteran Matt Schaub and the struggles of young quarterback Case Keenum, who started eight games and didn't win any of them.

"I don't think you take a particular position just because you need a particular position at any point in the draft, especially the first pick," Texans general manager Rick Smith said. "So we'll rank it, we'll value it, and we'll make good choices if the opportunity presents itself to move back because it is a very valuable pick, and we'll entertain those as well."

This is the third time the Texans have had the No. 1 overall pick, and each time it has coincided with a new head coach. With their first No. 1 overall pick, the expansion Texans selected quarterback David Carr in 2002. With their second in 2006, the Texans took pass-rusher Mario Williams.

Unfortunately, both suffered losing seasons in those years, combining to go 10-22.

"The defensive player worked out better than the offensive player," McNair said with a chuckle. "That won't lock us into anything."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10238006/houston-texans-owner-bob-mcnair-open-trading-no-1-pick

A55VA6

Legend
I hate the Texans. No matter what they do, I'm sure it'll be a failure.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
They won't trade it. Like others said they're just looking for a Ram-like bounty for the pick. They need a QB and they know it. They're a reason why they're picking #1. Plus, they have little leverage because there are multiple good QBs after Bridgewater, a great DE, and a great OL; all of which will likely be availible following their pick. In a lot of ways the Rams benefit from picking #2 as opposed to #1, because an elite talent will be off the board, making the elite talent group smaller.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Anyone who thinks the Rams are getting a bounty for this pick are delusional IMO. The RGme scenario was just a perfect storm for us. I would be happy if we stay with our picks as long as we use em well. I don't see the point in trading down just for the sake of it. Especially with the rookie wage scale lessening the financial burden of paying 2 first rounders.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Dude looks like that South African dickhead in the Lethal Weapon movie.

What a tool. So you tell any QB on your roster that they suck and you can replace them and another starter on defense without batting an eye. While it may be true, it's a bit glib don't you think?

I can't get over this genius' mug shot either.

Here's the guy I think he looks like... it's the bald skinny biker bad guy in this clip. I've seen this freak in other movies too. Looks like one of those alien "greys" that abduct people for anal probing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think he looks like this guy;

lxTyBtH.jpg

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lolz, he totes magotes looks like Malcolm McDowell...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh come on. Look at the dude and compare. What do I win?:cheese:

upload_2014-1-4_10-44-50.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2014-1-4_10-44-6.jpeg
    upload_2014-1-4_10-44-6.jpeg
    5.1 KB · Views: 119

paceram

Pro Bowler
I just hope we are happy with a #2 pick. Who will it be?

It's going to be OT Jake Matthews

No, it's going to be Jadeveon Clowney

No, it's going to be Sammy Watkins

No, it's going to be a Trade Down

All I know it IS going to be a long time until May 8th!

jap

Legend
I just hope we are happy with a #2 pick. Who will it be?

As Snisher would say, "That has yet to be determined. First, we have to do film study of the past season to grade & rank our current guys. Then we have to grade & rank all prospective FA's in case someone turns out to be a possible quick fix to a critical area or a low cost fix for backup duty. Then we need to collect and assimilate all our data on college guys coming out and prepare for the combine. We need to conduct interviews at the combine on as much players as allowed by the NFL; get detailed medical reports, and collect detailed background information. We will perform preliminary rankings and decide which players need to be seen at pro days or for private workouts. Then we will assimilate all information and begin the final stacking of our draft board. Of course, there are concurrent duties like establishing possible trade partners, pre-draft, draft time, and post draft."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Anyone who thinks the Rams are getting a bounty for this pick are delusional IMO. The RGme scenario was just a perfect storm for us. I would be happy if we stay with our picks as long as we use em well. I don't see the point in trading down just for the sake of it. Especially with the rookie wage scale lessening the financial burden of paying 2 first rounders.

Just a year ago the Texans won their divisional title & won their playoff game ...they were a rising team who had back to back winning seasons... Things sure turned around for this young franchise. Their roster still looks very strong to me with one very big problem....They need a QB! Its not complicated. Matthew Schaub time as a starting QB has come to an end he would be a decent 2nd QB for most teams with a good OL I would not mind him & with a third rookie mobile QB. Schaub is a class act!

If we are too believe the owner then the Texan Org. must not be too excited about the top QB Bridgewater or Jadeveon. He may be looking more towards a player who was born in Texas, raised just SW of Houston, & played NCAA football for a team about an hour north of Houston & just happens to be the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy in history his name is Johnny Football. Johnny Manziel is rated the #2 QB on most all draft sites. This could get real interesting for the Rams if Texans trades out below the Rams they risk having Snead trading with a interested Johnny Manziel team to maneuver to take him ahead of the Texans..on & on ...

I agree Faceplant that no RG3 bounty is even close to be on its way in 2014. Yes it was once in a GM lifetime event for Snead. To me its just foolish looking & much wishful thinking on the part of owner Bob McNair. I am not all that crazy about the top five either @ this point so I guess the feeling is mutual. Not so sure I would call it happy if I stayed with the #2 & #13 but I OK with it. Like you said "As long as we use em well". This is the big debate is it not.

The point of trading down is not for the sake of trading down but to maneuver your team into a position where you can select your targeted prospects @ the right price the magic is that is rare sometimes but it worked in the Zac Stacy {traded with the Texans giving them all our remaining third day picks} & Alec Ogletree { CB Trufant vs LB Tree & WR Bailey} maneuverings but we have the appearance of somewhat of a FAIL on the 2012 maneuvering trade down with Dallas where two of the three draft pick up were duds (Rok Watkins/Pead).

What I do see a possibility of happening is Rams & Texans both desiring some small trade downs in the top 10 then the other teams using the Texans in negotiations to get bargain cost trade ups basically using the Texans & the Rams against each other. Not a plus for us. But jap is right that it will be important in establishing possible trade partners & pre-draft.

Last edited by a moderator: