Terrell Owens wants to play for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Heard him on ESPN radio recently making that statement. Don't know if he was serious or not. Of course he won't be hired by any NFL team not just because of his bad reputation but because he's 42 and hasn't played in years.

Should he be in the Hall of Fame? Yes, but him not getting in on the first ballot is understandable considering him being a pariah to so many of the teams he played on. Or maybe it shouldn't matter that he was a jerk. What do you think?
********************************************************************************

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4bdLxmJTvc

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/10/t-o-externalizes-blame-again/

T.O. externalizes blame, again
Posted by Mike Florio on February 10, 2016

unknown2-e1455126643554.jpeg
Getty Images

For the past few years, receiver Terrell Owens has attributed negative stories and attitude about him to a bias against him in the media. When confronted with concrete examples of misbehavior that helped shape his reputation, Owens always has an excuse unrelated to the notion that he engaged in misbehavior.

That attitude has been on display during a Wednesday ESPN car wash with fellow former receiver Chad Johnson. The appearance comes days after Owens was snubbed by the Hall of Fame, with signs pointing to Owens being overlooked due to his interpersonal skills, or lack thereof.

Before going any farther, I firmly believe that Owens should have made it in on the first ballot, and that he deserved the spot over Marvin Harrison. I also believe that, for a guy who claims to not care about not getting in, he seems to be a lot more bothered about the situation than someone who couldn’t care less should be.

Referring to the voters as “pencil pushers,” Owens expressed disdain for a process that eventually will get him in the Hall of Fame after knocking on the door once or twice or three times. (If he keeps openly complaining about the process and the voters, bet the over.)

Regardless, he should have gotten in. Yes, he was a pain in the butt. Yes, there was an element at times of malice and chronic discontent. But, yes, he belongs in the Hall of Fame. Rice, Owens, Moss or Rice, Moss, Owens are the top three wideouts in NFL history.

Whatever the stated reason for letting Harrison get in before Owens, the notion of disruption becomes a convenient excuse for the de facto waiting list. And whatever Owens says about whatever it is that he did or didn’t do, it’s clear that he’s getting in — it’s just a question of when.

Meanwhile, both Owens and Johnson repeatedly lamented the absence of social media during their careers, explaining that if they had access to Twitter while playing they could have shaped the narrative and explained themselves without the filter of the media.

But here’s the thing. Owens and Johnson presume that they would have used social media in a way that would have resulted in the fans automatically seeing their side of things and in turn viewing them more favorably. The truth more likely is that they would have used social media in a way that would have made a pair of polarizing players even more polarizing, simultaneously preaching to the choir while further alienating their enemies.

Despite Owens’ effort (intentionally or not) to alienate the voters, Owens eventually will get in to the Hall of Fame. And despite his incessant, tiring “it’s not me, it’s you” routine, I still think he already should be on track for a bronze bust, a gold jacket, and a Ring of Excellence.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Sadly, he'd probably be better than anyone we have now.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
he deserved the spot over Marvin Harrison.

Bullshit. A lot of Terrell Owens yards came on various irrelevant teams.

Too Overrated is what I used to call him.

At least Marvin Harrison got all his accomplishments on a single team with no diva attitude, won a SB, and broke records.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The team always needs tackling dummies.

What? He wants to play? Heh.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
maybe it shouldn't matter that he was a jerk.
I think it should!! Stats should not be the only reason someone gets into the H of F! Over-all image should count a little too! I wouldn't want my son or grand kid looking-up to T.O.!!

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
maybe a WR's coach, could use one of those.

unless you want to pair him up with that new QB we signed. what's his name?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-should-be-considered-in-hall-of-fame-voting/
Pete Fierle, the Manager of Digital Media and Communications at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, quoted to me via phone on Wednesday the applicable portion of the bylaws: “The only criteria for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame are a nominee’s achievements and contributions as a player, coach, or contributor in professional football in the United States of America.” As a result, whether and to what extent a player, coach, or contributor has conducted himself (or, in theory, herself) in an illegal or otherwise unbecoming manner off the field currently has no bearing on whether the player, coach, or contributor will have a bronze bust in Canton.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000211-sports-and-racing-nfl/73258184

http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2015/...f-committee-never-considers-character-issues/
“I’ll tell you this,” McClain said, dismissing that notion. “I’ve been on the committee now for 20 years. I take so much pride in it. And every year, I watch people on TV – ex-players, people that have no clue what goes on in the room – say, ‘Well, they didn’t vote for Charles Haley because they didn’t like him. They didn’t vote for Art Monk because Art Monk didn’t talk to them.’ That kind of stuff never ever comes up in our meetings. Ever. Never.

“I told Steve Mariucci this,” McClain continued. “I said next time one of those guys on NFL Network (says) they know this, would you tell them you talked to a guy that guaranteed it never comes up in the room and (that) he’s in the room and they’re not? Because things like that drive me crazy. I’d like to think we got a little more class than that.

“I voted for Charles Haley every year. And the only thing he ever said to me was at the Pro Bowl: ‘Get out of my face you no-good, mother-bleeper.’ And I still voted for him every year because I thought he was one of the greatest players in history.”

Thus, Rice’s attitude isn’t keeping him out of Canton. The competition is.
Bullshit......Credibility is at stake when people lie like this. Not to say there aren't a lot of liars around. They do it with a smile on their face.

TO deserves the hall for years of service in the league. And, I'd invite him to camp.....Let him work with our young wrs. If Britt can turn into a positive influence, I'd love to see TO with a Boyd, Doctson, Treadwell, Carroo, or Thomas. And I'd love to see what he could do with Quick in a prove it year....yeah, I still believe in Brian Quick....

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Cook already plays like TO had coached him.
When the going gets tough, TO gets alligator arms!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a TO hater, I say he should be in the HoF this year. Like the above article states,(paraphrase) that the only criteria to consider is on the field of play, nothing outside of it. This year shows thats BS. This is a payback by the media that covered him for years to prevent him from being a first ballot HOFer ....All I am saying is to be consistent. sports media.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TO was a monster. He deserved to be a first ballot HOFer. He was better than Harrison. But I'm not surprised that butthurt media members didn't give it to him. Any claims that they don't consider how he treated them is BS. Most of those people are thin-skinned with gigantic egos.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
As a TO hater, I say he should be in the HoF this year. Like the above article states,(paraphrase) that the only criteria to consider is on the field of play, nothing outside of it. This year shows thats BS. This is a payback by the media that covered him for years to prevent him from being a first ballot HOFer ....All I am saying is to be consistent. sports media.

I think you are reading the criteria too narrowly and taking the quote to mean something it doesn't

“The only criteria for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame are a nominee’s achievements and contributions as a player, coach, or contributor in professional football in the United States of America.” As a result, whether and to what extent a player, coach, or contributor has conducted himself (or, in theory, herself) in an illegal or otherwise unbecoming manner off the field currently has no bearing on whether the player, coach, or contributor will have a bronze bust in Canton.

I read that as for instance ignoring general law breaking or bad conduct that does not reflect/affect the players play on the field then it can be ignored. For instance things like drug busts or prostitution scandals.
But to read "nominee’s achievements and contributions" and to add "on the field only" when it isn't there is narrowing it too much. It ends with "in professional football" - Players/Coaches/Contributors do plenty off the field that affects what happens on it.

I think it is reasonable to say that Owens antics off the field especially to team mates and coaches were disruptive enough to affect what happened on the field. I am talking about comments he made about people like Jeff Garcia and strife he caused in the Eagles locker room. Great he got his yards, but how many games did he cost his team because they weren't team due to him. how often did he make it about him getting the ball instead of the team winning the game? He had a history of dividing locker rooms there is no way to think that doesn't end up hurting teams in the W/L columns.

Yes he shouldn't be judged on weather he gave interviews or acted outrageous at times. But it is reasonable to say he was disruptive in enough lockers rooms enough times that he cost his teams games, that the damage he did to team chemistry was often greater than the plays he made on the field.

There is an interview with Larry Fizgerald where he talks about playing with Kurt. He talks about how early on with Kurt he had a game where he was at 90ish yards and he started talking to Kurt and the coaches about getting him the ball so he could get his 100yards....Kurt pulled him aside and said something like "do you want to win this game? we here for your 100 yards or to win?" (paraphrasing can't remember exact) He talked about how that really clicked with him and taught him to be team oriented.

Owens was a horrible teammate and hurt his teams many times due to it. for that reason yes I would put him behind the likes of Harrison....or Bruce....or Holt. Sure Owens may have had better stats, but his overall contribution to his team was less than that...where the other guys may have lesser stats but their overall contribution to their teams was greater than just the stat line....

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
T.O wants to play for any team.
He's probably broke and needs the cash

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
:rolllaugh:
giphy-gif.12112

I enjoyed the Hell out of that TO shenanigan. For me it was a big F U to that ridiculous "America's team" moniker.