Teddy Bridgewater wins Pepsi Rookie of the Year award

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Bit of a joke of an award, especially as Donald wasn't even a finalist.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...idgewater-wins-pepsi-rookie-of-the-year-award

Teddy Bridgewater has been named the 2014 Pepsi NFL Rookie Of The Year, as voted by the fans, Pepsi and the NFL announced Friday night.

The Vikings quarterback was recognized during Pepsi Super Bowl XLIX festivities in Arizona, as well as online at nfl.com/rookies.

Bridgewater passed for 2,919 yards and 14 touchdowns in 13 games after being selected 32nd in the 2014 NFL Draft. The Vikings were 6-6 in his 12 starts, with victories over the Falcons, Panthers and Bears among others.

The former Louisville product was one of five finalists up to receive the honor. The other finalists were Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans, Bengals running back Jeremy Hill and Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

The five finalists were selected for their outstanding performances throughout the season. Each week, five nominees were chosen for the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week and fans voted for the winner on NFL.com. Those results were used to help determine the finalists.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope AD gets it, he really made an impact. He will probably get robbed though.

Statistically there's no question, but we are talking about the same people who decided Quinn wasn't the DPOY last year, so you're probably right, it will be Mosley imo.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Statistically there's no question, but we are talking about the same people who decided Quinn wasn't the DPOY last year, so you're probably right, it will be Mosley imo.

Yea if it happens Mosley fits there favorite stats, lots of tackles and his team had a better record/made it to post season.

jjab360

Legend
Over Beckham? Really???

Btw, I'm assuming this was an offensive players only award because there weren't any defensive players listed.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Over Beckham??????

3868727-confused+yo.gif

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Did Teddy sell the most cookies or something?!?

Because he sure as shit didn't earn that award on the field.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Huh?? How'd this happen? What did ODBJ do to PepsiCo??

I didn't even think Bridgewater was the best rookie QB never mind player - I though Carr was better on a much less talented roster personally.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
So this award is meaningless. Bridgewater wasn't even the best rookie QB. 14tds in 12 games. Break out the erasers boys, we're rewriting the record books tonight

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
No, the officially recognised one is tonight.

The one tonight is not official, this one was a fan vote.

The AP awards is one of two that appear in the NFL Record and Fact Book and in Total Football: The Official Encyclodpedia of the NFL and and is part of the 2011 NFL CBA with the players union.

The AP as well as the PFWA are recognized in those works

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Odell Beckham Jr. named offensive rookie of the year
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 31, 2015, 8:24 PM EST
4a47a5d0f272de4bb65ddd67969cf500.jpeg
Getty Images
The choice for offensive rookie of the year in the NFL in 2014 was an easy one.

Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., who shook off an injury-plagued start of the season to become one of the league’s most exciting playmakers, has been named the NFL’s offensive rookie of the year. The award was announced on Saturday night at the NFL Honors event in Phoenix.

The NFL’s awards are voted on by a panel of 50 members of the media, and in the case of this award, there was widespread agreement: Beckham got 42 votes, with Cowboys guard Zack Martin getting seven and Buccaneers receiver Mike Evans getting one.

Beckham missed the first four games of the season and spent three more as only a small player in the Giants’ offense. But over the second half of the season, Beckham was the best wide receiver in the NFL. After the Giants’ Week Eight bye, Beckham never had fewer than 90 yards in any game, and despite that slow start he finished the year with 91 catches for 1,305 yards and 12 touchdowns.

The NFL had a talented class of rookie wide receivers this season, but there was no question who was the best: Beckham, by far.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Pepsi award is voted by fans?

If so, not surprising as Beckham comes off insanely cocky. Certainly turns a lot of voters off.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Huh?? How'd this happen? What did ODBJ do to PepsiCo??

I didn't even think Bridgewater was the best rookie QB never mind player - I though Carr was better on a much less talented roster personally.

So this award is meaningless. Bridgewater wasn't even the best rookie QB. 14tds in 12 games. Break out the erasers boys, we're rewriting the record books tonight

Bridgewater wasn't the best QB? No way, Jose.

The guy was operating behind arguably the worst pass blocking OL in the NFL with Matt Asiata as his top HB and his two starting WRs were Greg Jennings(who is still a solid WR despite his play falling off) and Charles Johnson(cut from Cleveland).

And yet the guy was far more effective than Carr. Hell, he was better than Sam was as a rookie.

This is what Bridgewater did over the second half of the year:
166/247
67.2%
1867 yards
7.6 YPA
12 TDs
7 Ints
94.0 QB Rating

Here's Carr's second half of the season:
196/350
56.0%
1753 yards
5.0 YPA
12 TDs
7 Ints
72.7 QB Rating

Now, I realize that Bridgewater struggled during his first few starts in the first half of the year but isn't the point as a rookie QB to improve?

The truth of the matter(well, my truth) is that Bridgewater was a FAR better QB on film than Carr. And I think the kid is going to be a top 10 QB in the NFL by the end of his third year...if not sooner.

If Minnesota upgrades their WR corp and improves their OL, it'll be sooner. Here are some other interesting Bridgewater stats:
Accuracy% - 77.3%(3rd in the NFL)
Accuracy% While Under Pressure - 75.2%(1st in the NFL)
Pressure% - 39.9%(4th WORST in the NFL)

What does that mean? He was extremely accurate, extremely accurate under pressure, and one of the most consistently pressured QBs in the NFL.

Bridgewater was the best rookie QB and it wasn't particularly close. I look forward to watching this kid because he does everything the right way. He's going to be seriously good. And is the perfect example of why people shouldn't consider physical tools more important than mental tools for a QB.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Bridgewater wasn't the best QB? No way, Jose.

The guy was operating behind arguably the worst pass blocking OL in the NFL with Matt Asiata as his top HB and his two starting WRs were Greg Jennings(who is still a solid WR despite his play falling off) and Charles Johnson(cut from Cleveland).

And yet the guy was far more effective than Carr. Hell, he was better than Sam was as a rookie.

This is what Bridgewater did over the second half of the year:
166/247
67.2%
1867 yards
7.6 YPA
12 TDs
7 Ints
94.0 QB Rating

Here's Carr's second half of the season:
196/350
56.0%
1753 yards
5.0 YPA
12 TDs
7 Ints
72.7 QB Rating

Now, I realize that Bridgewater struggled during his first few starts in the first half of the year but isn't the point as a rookie QB to improve?

The truth of the matter(well, my truth) is that Bridgewater was a FAR better QB on film than Carr. And I think the kid is going to be a top 10 QB in the NFL by the end of his third year...if not sooner.

If Minnesota upgrades their WR corp and improves their OL, it'll be sooner. Here are some other interesting Bridgewater stats:
Accuracy% - 77.3%(3rd in the NFL)
Accuracy% While Under Pressure - 75.2%(1st in the NFL)
Pressure% - 39.9%(4th WORST in the NFL)

What does that mean? He was extremely accurate, extremely accurate under pressure, and one of the most consistently pressured QBs in the NFL.

Bridgewater was the best rookie QB and it wasn't particularly close. I look forward to watching this kid because he does everything the right way. He's going to be seriously good. And is the perfect example of why people shouldn't consider physical tools more important than mental tools for a QB.

I'm not going to agree that the Vikings were in any way less talented than the Raiders. The Vikings were far better coached as well. The entire Raider WR group combined equal about one average WR. Carr's numbers may not have as been good, but he played in a far worse setting than Bridgewater. IMO it's a coin toss who the better QB is, and he certainly had no business winning ROY.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not going to agree that the Vikings were in any way less talented than the Raiders. The Vikings were far better coached as well. The entire Raider WR group combined equal about one average WR. Carr's numbers may not have as been good, but he played in a far worse setting than Bridgewater. IMO it's a coin toss who the better QB is, and he certainly had no business winning ROY.

It's not a coin toss. It's not even close to a coin toss.

The Raiders had a better OL. The Vikings had better WRs(not by that much). Both teams had shitty running games.

Yet Bridgewater far outplayed Carr.