Tavon Austin waiting patiently with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MFaulk107

The Realness
A little news on the rookie who has yet to show out

Clearly he hasn't done as much as anticipated, but I feel soon enough he'll show out.
And if not this year, then most defiantly next year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tavon-austin-waiting-patiently-rams-073204169--nfl.html

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Tavon Austin is waiting for his turn to shine in the St. Louis Rams' offense.

''It's all about patience and I'm sure my time will come,'' the speedy rookie receiver said. ''I'm learning what it takes to be successful and I'm doing the things the coaches tell me.''

Austin, the eighth overall choice, has struggled at times under the weight of some lofty expectations.

He has yet to display the breakaway playmaking ability that St. Louis was looking for when it traded up eight spots in the draft to secure the West Virginia standout.

Austin's pass-catching numbers are adequate. He has 31 receptions, first among rookies, for 207 yards and two touchdowns. But his longest catch is only 25 yards and he's averaging a meager 6.7 yards per catch.

Plus, he is tied for the NFL lead with seven dropped passes.

''This isn't supposed to be easy,'' he said. ''Maybe it was a little harder than I thought at first. But all I can do is keep working.''

Austin, known for his ability to get loose in the secondary in college, has 106 yards after catches this season, ranking 97th.

The 5-foot-8 176-pounder was a multifaceted terror in college. As a senior, he led the nation in all-purpose yards at 223 per game. He became the first West Virginia player to score four ways in a season with kickoff and punt returns for touchdowns and rushing and receiving scores.

But Austin has yet to get untracked on special teams although he has been slowed by penalties. He has returned 23 punts for just 90 yards, an average of 3.9 yards per return, good for 97th in the NFL.

Austin has lost 257 punt return yards due to penalties. His 84-yard punt return for a score in a 31-7 loss at Dallas on Sept. 22 was called back. Against Jacksonville on Oct. 6, he had three returns called back that totaled 81 yards.

St. Louis rookie wide out Stedman Bailey played with Austin in college and believes his friend will eventually live up to the high expectations.

''This is just life in the NFL,'' Bailey said. ''We both come from a place where we'd see 15 balls a game. Everything came through us. That's not going to happen here. It's just going to take some adjusting.''

Austin caught six passes in each of his first three contests, but has managed just 13 catches for 89 yards over the last five games.

The St. Louis coaching staff remains confident in Austin, who is part of a five-receiver rotation. Coach Jeff Fisher has worked hard over the last few games to help develop the running attack, which leaves fewer chances for Austin and the receiving corps.

Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer pointed out that Austin draws a lot of attention from the defenses because of his reputation for big plays in college.

''With him not being out there every play, when you put him out there, the defenses start looking for certain things,'' Schottenheimer said. ''But he's had a good week of (practice). You'll see him make some plays starting this weekend.''

St. Louis (3-5) hosts Tennessee (3-4) on Sunday.

NOTES: Quarterback Kellen Clemens practiced Thursday after limited duty Wednesday. Clemens was banged up in Monday's 14-9 loss to Seattle and needed a little more rest, according to Fisher. ... The Rams will wear Royal Blue and Yellow throwback jerseys against the Titans. ... Fisher spent 16-plus seasons as Tennessee's head coach.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
agreed.. Not many WR's make the jump straight from college to NFL and have the same impact.. Especially one who's attributes are different

MFaulk107

The Realness
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I read that and cringed a wii bit haha.
Rams need to fix those penalties asap

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Seems they have lately. I can only remember one ST penalty in the last two weeks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
257 punt returns lost (and a TD) and 80 receiving yards lost (with a TD). Add those to his totals, and he doesn't look like he's so far behind. I'd like to see him in the X or Z spots a bit more because he can beat press and fly. The thing I took away from that article is this, though. ''I'm learning what it takes to be successful and I'm doing the things the coaches tell me.''

You hear that RGMe?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
During Monday night's game, Gruden was slaughtering Austin for not having broken out yet.

The fact is that he's had more than enough "breakout" moments for a rookie at this stage in his first season but the penalties have called them back (it always seems to be Darren Bates but that's probably just my mistaken impression). plus if he's getting the ball 5 yards beyond the LOS but with two defenders in his face, what the hell is he supposed to do?

Saw something on twitter earlier quoting Schotty saying he's going to be used more from this week onward so we'll see if anything changes

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Saw something on twitter earlier quoting Schotty saying he's going to be used more from this week onward so we'll see if anything changes

Now is the time to use austin as much as possible. Lets be honest, the season is over with Bradford out. Give austin game time to prepare for next season

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Austin showed me something on a kick return as well Mon. night he returned one from pretty deep in the endzone and I was shouting DONT ,but he did and got to the 25 or so ,I've got doubts he has to touchback,better look at people coming down field etc ,I think Benny Cunningham had better get yards from scrimmage or he's expendable.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Now is the time to use austin as much as possible. Lets be honest, the season is over with Bradford out. Give austin game time to prepare for next season

OK I'll be honest , I don't think the KC Chiefs who are undefeated have a QB with much better skills than Kellen Clemmens, so if our defense continues to play as well as it did Mon. our running game keeps going the same way and we don't ask KC to play outside his capabilities ,I disagree that this season IS over. Compromised ? certainly, but JEEZ man if we'd HAD nothing more than Seattle's 12th man to add to what we HAD last Monday, IOW if The Ed had set a crowd decibel level Guiness record , we would have absolutely housed those guys in similar fashion to what they did to San Fran.
Season over? my hairy arse it is ,sure we've got an uphill climb, but did ya ever TRY TO CLIMB DOWNHILL ?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Austin showed me something on a kick return as well Mon. night he returned one from pretty deep in the endzone and I was shouting DONT ,but he did and got to the 25 or so ,I've got doubts he has to touchback,better look at people coming down field etc ,I think Benny Cunningham had better get yards from scrimmage or he's expendable.

BTW ,did anyone NOTICE WHO is his up back, Stedman something tells me we're gonna see some trickeration twixt those two, maybe Stedman drops into the endzone last second fields it and runs to the 10 where he throws a pass to Tavon all alone other side ovdafield!

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Lets face it, it's been a frustrating, disappointing year so far, and Tavon is an easy target for fans to vent their frustrations. Just like Sam is an easy target. Hell, Sam was having a good year and lots of folks still pointing their finger at him for one reason or another. Tavon is a rookie, having to learn a new system and how to live life as a pro. Listen to what Ike says about his first few years in the NFL. Rare is the rookie who comes right out the box and excels at that position. That mixed with the expectations put on him by the fans, and the fact the team spent a high pick plus a 2nd round pick automatically revs up what is expected from him. Mix in the tepid play by the OL until they started going run first, the penalties, and the mediocre to bad play from the rest of the wr and Cook, Kendrick hurt and not 100%, inability to run the ball at all the first 5 weeks. And don't forget our defense has sucked 5 of the 8 games-so we are playing from behind all the time. What chance, really, has this guy had to excel? Hindsight is great, and sure it's easy to say there were other players we could have used a lot more than Tavon plus another player in the second round, but keep it real here-none of them were going to rescue us from this mess that has been 2013. I think this player starts to excel when the rest of the team starts to excel. Thats why when Sam went down, while I wish it hadn't happened it wasn't the end of the world. I'm a season ticket holder and if you think I put out the time and dough to see KC play (no offense Kellen) think again. But we weren't going anywhere, and the issues that existed when Sam went down can be fixed with or without him. One of the other problems was at the beginning our gameplans focused too much on Tavon. It's like the coaches tried too hard to prove he was worth the pick. He should be handled like any other rookie and brought along slowly into the offensive scheme at whatever rate he is able to handle. Rant over. Now lets hope to see his first big rturn sunday against Tenn!

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I see your point mate, but I cant see how clemens can take us there... Especially seeing the run of games we have...

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I see your point mate, but I cant see how clemens can take us there... Especially seeing the run of games we have...

I'm looking for Stacy and our defense to take us there. KC just needs to avoid big mistakes and even with the two INTs on monday we were still desperately close to winning that game

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Squint just a little ,it worked for Polyanna,does fer me two

I dont know who polyanna is? but I'll squint from now on mate.. you have my word..

I'm looking for Stacy and our defense to take us there. KC just needs to avoid big mistakes and even with the two INTs on monday we were still desperately close to winning that game

Stacy will take us far granted :)

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I dont know who polyanna is? but I'll squint from now on mate.. you have my word..

Stacy will take us far granted :)

Pollyanna (Hayley Mills) is the orphaned daughter of missionaries who arrives in the small town of Harrington to live with her rich aunt, Polly Harrington (Jane Wyman). Pollyanna is a cheerful, radically optimistic youngster who focuses on the goodness of life and, in doing so, makes a wide variety of friends in the community including the hypochondriac Mrs. Snow (Agnes Moorehead) and the acidic recluse Mr. Pendergast (Adolphe Menjou).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollyanna_(1960_film)