Tavon Austin bringing us down @ p cooper

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I think lack of touches is starting to get into his head or something. But in fairness he's not getting many opportunities. But out of the very few he got yesterday he scored..
For once we just have a lot of options.. Still believe he can make a big impact if given the chance. But I do agree you can't make any more ST screw ups.

But he didn't score.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Just barely started rewatching the game. I just had to point this out. After the Robey Coleman interception. Gurley's first TD. Guess who is on the field? Tavon Austin. You best believe that Mcvay understands this guy is a threat that defenses have to respect - oh and Tavon went and put his body on the line for a block.

He'll get his in due time. Just respect the process and focus on getting better day by day.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
But he didn't score.
Stand corrected. Close enough. lol
Just saying not everyone gets even as close as he did. His speed is his speed.
Tavon be like...
uhhhhh-im-gonna-score-dude.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm in the camp of wanting to trade Tavon, to be honest. I don't want to lose Pharoh or Thomas when they've shown up on special teams, and Reynolds has a ton of potential that I want to see realized here. That leaves Tavon, unfortunately.

Agreed. It's about fit, and Tavon doesn't. The ship sailed on that dude when they realized they needed to trade for a deep threat. Hell, honestly from the point where they added three guys who fit (Watkins/Woods/Kupp) Tavon's fate in this offense was sealed.

McVay isn't Boras. He's not going to try to make Tavon a focus of the offense without him earning it. He's going to work him in more and more IF he earns it. But it's clear now that's not going to happen. You gotta go way down the WR roster to find a guy who is behind Tavon in terms of who you would trust to make the catch in a critical situation.

Re: Reynolds I fully agree. Really like what I'm starting to see with him, and you can give him Tavon's snaps to start working him into this offense more. He's big, nice catch radius, and is a rangy type that's not an easy matchup for a DB to bring down.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. It's about fit, and Tavon doesn't. The ship sailed on that dude when they realized they needed to trade for a deep threat. Hell, honestly from the point where they added three guys who fit (Watkins/Woods/Kupp) Tavon's fate in this offense was sealed.

McVay isn't Boras. He's not going to try to make Tavon a focus of the offense without him earning it. He's going to work him in more and more IF he earns it. But it's clear now that's not going to happen. You gotta go way down the WR roster to find a guy who is behind Tavon in terms of who you would trust to make the catch in a critical situation.

Re: Reynolds I fully agree. Really like what I'm starting to see with him, and you can give him Tavon's snaps to start working him into this offense more. He's big, nice catch radius, and is a rangy type that's not an easy matchup for a DB to bring down.

I expect when Thomas is eligible to come back, if we keep him, we'll see Brandon Allen or a DB get cut. Thomas doesn't even have to factor into the WR rotation. He's very valuable as a core special teamer.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect when Thomas is eligible to come back, if we keep him, we'll see Brandon Allen or a DB get cut. Thomas doesn't even have to factor into the WR rotation. He's very valuable as a core special teamer.

Yeah the DB side should have some lower hanging fruit, no doubt. I'd say I expect them to trade Tavon, but I've been expecting that for a while now and he's still on the roster doing his thing. So yeah your suggestion seems likely.

fearsomefour

Legend
I hope you guys realize he was big part of keeping the defense to focus on him AND Todd Gurley. He would've had a score tonight if not for a bullcrap dirty horse collar tackle.
Not acceptable.
Only stats in a vacuum are acceptable.
Austin has value.
In my opinion Cooper fumbling on a great hit doesnt chance much. I like Cooper better as a receiver.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
My take on the Pharoh Cooper fumble is, yes of course he should have just played it safe at that juncture of the game and let the Offense take over a the 25, I think, being he could feel he's on the fringe here, perhaps he just felt compelled get in on the fun and make a big play to solidify his spot, especially with Thomas due back shortly, hated the decision but kinda do understand it.

Tavon still has a role, it's a little silly imo to talk about discarding him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not sure I want a player on this team who never takes it out of the endzone.
Kickoff returns for big gains are game changers. It's worth the risk.
So he fumbled once. Okay. Just don't do it again.

Ellard80

Legend
I'm not sure I want a player on this team who never takes it out of the endzone.
Kickoff returns for big gains are game changers. It's worth the risk.
So he fumbled once. Okay. Just don't do it again.

In many situations yes.. take it out of the endzone.

But when you are holding onto a once possession lead and your goal is to secure the ball and run out the clock... and you haven't handled the ball all game - its highly questionable.

I don't live inside his head.. but I think once took it out he was kind of like "oh fuck."

Just wasn't the right decision at the time.

Ellard80

Legend
I don't hate Tavon.. the dude has some serious wheels.

But yeah.. I have accepted that he just isn't that great a player.. definitely not a top 10 pick.

But it happens. He still has some value.

It is odd how fiercely some people still hold onto the "idea" of him. I think its like...hey.. I bought that guys jersey and use him a lot on Madden... so he is must be good.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Well, either way, he's gone. But I just don't know how much he'll fetch in trade if he keeps playing like he is now. I know he was behind the curve in the offense due to the time missed, but things like ... you know ... catching punts ... he should have that down cold. And yet he doesn't.

Is that you Les Snead?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'll review this at the end of the season.
Just a week ago Woods should have been cut.
Now y'all be like -

kNow_f-maxage-0.gif

This this this!!! These are the same people that think North Korea is going to annihilate the world.
I wish there were a way to unsee their dribble

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't hate Tavon.. the dude has some serious wheels.

But yeah.. I have accepted that he just isn't that great a player.. definitely not a top 10 pick.

But it happens. He still has some value.

I used to think that if he were drafted by an offensive head coach he'd be a superstar. But now I just think he needs to be in a read-option type scheme where they aren't so focused on precision routes and depth. An offense where they're willing to run a bunch of bubble screens (which is his ideal usage IMO), jet sweeps and reverses like maybe Chip Kelly's offense would be ideal for him idk.

Either way I just hope we get something for him. The dude can't be happy being buried on our depth chart. And while there's some value to a guy like that in limited snaps, when it's looked at on the business side it just doesn't wash. So IMO just eat some of his salary and move him to the AFC, somewhere like Buffalo where he'd get more looks per game. Dude is just not gonna get that here.