Target To Eliminate Signs Specifying Boys Or Girls Toys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Target announced that they will stop separating girls and boys toys in its stores because they say it’s unnecessary.

The way we marketers tell boys or girls from infancy what they should and shouldn’t wear or play with is deeply engrained in tradition. But big box store Target has made a move to challenge that, as reported by TIME.

Target announced it will no longer put signs to indicate whether products are for boys or girls in the toys, home or entertainment departments. They’ll still have girls and boys clothing sections, but say specifying some other departments by gender is “unnecessary”.

For instance, Target says it’s going to remove color-coded pink, blue, yellow or green signs in the toy section and is getting rid of gender-specified bedding — a likely response to a popular tweet criticizing one of the signs.

Meanwhile, some critics have called the move overly politically correct.

“What?????? When I shop, I want to find things fast…” said Sarah Baker Little, a commenter on the Target announcement. “Having things labeled makes it easier and faster to finds things.... Dumb move TArget, dumb!!!! If it is going to be this way, I will need to find another place to do my Christmas, I am sorry (liberal speak) "holiday" shopping. As well as weekly grocery shopping, birthday shopping, weekend day out shopping....... Stupid, just plain stupid.”

More....
http://www.askmen.com/news/power_money/target-to-eliminate-signs-specifying-boys-or-girls-toys.html

bluecoconuts

Legend
I heard a big part of it was because kids grow weirdly and differently, they wanted to get rid of it. A boy might only fit into girls pants, but if he knows they're girl pants it might make him upset.

*Edit* oh this is about toys. I heard they are doing it with clothes as well. Who cares about toys?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
For instance, Target says it’s going to remove color-coded pink, blue, yellow or green signs in the toy section and is getting rid of gender-specified bedding — a likely response to a popular tweet criticizing one of the signs.
There it is.
smiley-rolleyes008.gif

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Fucking stupid.
There is nothing wrong with a boy being a boy and a girl being a girl.
I am blessed with 3 yr old twins. 1 boy and 1 girl. I leave their interests to themselves.
One thing I know for certain, they are 2 completely different beings. Though they play together constantly, their main interests in many things are very gender specific.
He has little interstate in her dolls and Minnie Mouse.
She has very little interest in his cars and Mikey Mouse.
This is all their doing. I wouldn't care either way.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Now they are worried about offending little boys and girls? Did I fall through a portal into Bizzaro world?

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Boys and girls are different. So now we can't call a boy a boy and a girl a girl? This society is getting absolutely pathetic. The signs were just merely letting people know the direction of certain things. I remember reading an article last year that a school was not going to call boys and girls boys and girls anymore. But they called them something else. Still differentiating between the two. At some point it should be ok to say the difference between two different sexes lol

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I almost posted this article over the weekend, but was too pissed to do it.

Pussification is right. Now we have to worry about "girls and boys signage" putting too much gender pressure on kids?

How about parents parenting these issues instead of making Target responsible for the "influence on your kids".

God help us.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
:palm::palm: No words. I got nothing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fuck it. I'll be the one who says it. Pussification? Are you fucking kidding me? OH MY GOD, HOW DARE TARGET ALLOW KIDS TO PICK WHATEVER TOY THEY WANT TO PLAY WITH! WE MIGHT HAVE GIRLS PLAYING WITH G.I. JOES AND FOOTBALLS AND BOYS PLAYING WITH DOLLS! THE HUMANITY!!!!!!

Seriously guys, are you actually making a big stink about this? A business removing signs so that kids can play with what they want to play with rather than having parents immediately take them to the aisle they're supposed to go and miss out on toys that they're not supposed to play with because they're a girl or a boy.

What's the worst case scenario here? Girls actually want to play with "boy's" toys or boys actually want to play with "girl's" toys? How terrible.

freaking stupid.
There is nothing wrong with a boy being a boy and a girl being a girl.
I am blessed with 3 yr old twins. 1 boy and 1 girl. I leave their interests to themselves.
One thing I know for certain, they are 2 completely different beings. Though they play together constantly, their main interests in many things are very gender specific.
He has little interstate in her dolls and Minnie Mouse.
She has very little interest in his cars and Mikey Mouse.
This is all their doing. I wouldn't care either way.

Then why do you care? The boy will get to be a boy and the girl will get to be a girl. They will go to the store, pick out the toys they like, and in the end, nothing changes.

(not directed at you dodgers) I just have to laugh at a big stink being made over nothing at this point. You guys talk about political correctness and the "pussification of America" while complaining and acting outraged over completely trivial things.

What has changed? Nothing. Nobody is forcing the kid to play with anything. Target is simply allowing kids to have more choices. Rather than having parents usher their kids to only the toys that fit their gender. In the end, the change is pretty meaningless. There's no reason for outrage here. You all are overreacting.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Jrry basically summed up what I was thinking... I don't see why anyone should care about it. The people who are asking how they will know what toy to get their kids should probably trying spending time with their kids, because they'll let them know. If you can't figure out what to get your kids for Christmas then a sign isn't going to help you.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
freak it. I'll be the one who says it. Pussification? Are you freaking kidding me? OH MY GOD, HOW DARE TARGET ALLOW KIDS TO PICK WHATEVER TOY THEY WANT TO PLAY WITH! WE MIGHT HAVE GIRLS PLAYING WITH G.I. JOES AND FOOTBALLS AND BOYS PLAYING WITH DOLLS! THE HUMANITY!!!!!!

Seriously guys, are you actually making a big stink about this? A business removing signs so that kids can play with what they want to play with rather than having parents immediately take them to the aisle they're supposed to go and miss out on toys that they're not supposed to play with because they're a girl or a boy.

What's the worst case scenario here? Girls actually want to play with "boy's" toys or boys actually want to play with "girl's" toys? How terrible.

Then why do you care? The boy will get to be a boy and the girl will get to be a girl. They will go to the store, pick out the toys they like, and in the end, nothing changes.

(not directed at you dodgers) I just have to laugh at a big stink being made over nothing at this point. You guys talk about political correctness and the "pussification of America" while complaining and acting outraged over completely trivial things.

What has changed? Nothing. Nobody is forcing the kid to play with anything. Target is simply allowing kids to have more choices. Rather than having parents usher their kids to only the toys that fit their gender. In the end, the change is pretty meaningless. There's no reason for outrage here. You all are overreacting.

I don't think anyone is making a big stink about it. It's just a topic for discussion.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I didn't read the article in this thread, the CNN one is more annoying. Linkage below.

Its amazing we survived as kids reading these snips.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/08/living/gender-based-signs-target-feat/

"Kids pick up cues about what society thinks of gender from so many places, and I'm glad that the Target toy aisle is no longer going to be one of the places they're bombarded with ideas about what's appropriate for kids of any gender to play with," she said Saturday."

"Thank you! I'm so tired of my daughter trying to play with her best friend (a boy) and him not wanting to because whatever she has is a girl toy. Or not wanting to watch the show she suggested because it's a girls' show," one commenter said. "Eliminating these gender typed divisions will help kids learn a toy is a toy, a show is a show, fun is fun."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I stand by what I said (or implied). Someone made a tweet expressing faux outrage over the audacity that a store would dare separate children's toys into gender specific aisles, that same tweet gets re-retweed, people who didn't give a shit about it began to rally around it, and a Corporation caved under what is now the New Moral Order lest they start to lose revenue from the inevitable boycott over their non-compliance.

THAT is the pussification of America. If you don't see it, or don't agree with it, then that's fine.
But let's not pretend that there's only one way to look at this.