Talking Analytics, SPARQ to Enhance Player Evaluations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
OK. So now that the combine is over, where is the best place to find the SPARQ scores of the athletes available for the Draft!?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
SPARQ: OL and DL
Monday, March 23, 2015
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/52989/466/implementing-draft-metrics

Ranking the Top Combine Performers: OL & DL

With the NFL Combine and a few weeks of pro days completed, the overall draft class has begun to take shape. We can now get an idea of each player’s overall place in the NFL athleticism spectrum with the help of SPARQ.

SPARQ is a formula developed by Nike which measures player athleticism through the output of a single composite score. I gave a simple breakdown of the stat in my last Rotoworld article. If you have any further questions about SPARQ, you can refer to the FAQ at my blog.

As SPARQ is not a publicly-available formula, I’ve back-calculated my own version, called pSPARQ. Note that the “NFL perc.” I refer to in the following tables represents each player’s athletic standing relative to the pool of NFL players at their position. If a player is in the 50th percentile, they rate as a perfectly average NFL athlete. As the average draft prospect is less athletic than the average NFL player, this percentile may look considerably different than that of a metric which gauges athleticism relative to their draft peers.

There are a few pro day results included here. I will post full SPARQ rankings for non-Combine performers on my blog when the test results are published. Combine SPARQ rankings for WR, RB, TE, OL, and DL are available are published on this page.

Disclaimer: pSPARQ is not perfect and will not yield a perfect representation of any player’s athletic profile. It is meant to give us an idea of where a given player stands athletically relative to the NFL level.

Offensive Line
qFYnFB4.png

Defensive Line (Interior)
Stxxknw.png

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
SPARQ: OL and DL
Monday, March 23, 2015
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/52989/466/implementing-draft-metrics

Ranking the Top Combine Performers: OL & DL

With the NFL Combine and a few weeks of pro days completed, the overall draft class has begun to take shape. We can now get an idea of each player’s overall place in the NFL athleticism spectrum with the help of SPARQ.

SPARQ is a formula developed by Nike which measures player athleticism through the output of a single composite score. I gave a simple breakdown of the stat in my last Rotoworld article. If you have any further questions about SPARQ, you can refer to the FAQ at my blog.

As SPARQ is not a publicly-available formula, I’ve back-calculated my own version, called pSPARQ. Note that the “NFL perc.” I refer to in the following tables represents each player’s athletic standing relative to the pool of NFL players at their position. If a player is in the 50th percentile, they rate as a perfectly average NFL athlete. As the average draft prospect is less athletic than the average NFL player, this percentile may look considerably different than that of a metric which gauges athleticism relative to their draft peers.

There are a few pro day results included here. I will post full SPARQ rankings for non-Combine performers on my blog when the test results are published. Combine SPARQ rankings for WR, RB, TE, OL, and DL are available are published on this page.

Disclaimer: pSPARQ is not perfect and will not yield a perfect representation of any player’s athletic profile. It is meant to give us an idea of where a given player stands athletically relative to the NFL level.

Offensive Line
qFYnFB4.png

Defensive Line (Interior)
Stxxknw.png

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
From what I've read in the past Snead likes to refer to SPARQ scores when two players he likes are close when he's stacking his board, or in late round selections. I like that idea!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
From what I've read in the past Snead likes to refer to SPARQ scores when two players he likes are close when he's stacking his board, or in late round selections. I like that idea!

That is why they got Rhaney. He had very high SPARQ scores. Despite his limited playing time, his athleticism makes him worth the risk.

thehammer

Rookie
follow zach whitman twitter.he does the heavy lifting

for years I had to do my own research based on 3 cone/short shuttle for quickness and vertical/ broadjump for explosion...now one stop shopping thanks to Zach..Davis Hsu also is useful to follow on twitter