Tackling the Tackles! Offensively and Defensively

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Profootball Focus Rates our Rams. ( Don't decapitate me, I'm just the messenger.) So let's look at the good the bad and the ugly)

Let's start with the offensive line. The Rams rank number 27. The Seahussies rank dead last and the Cowboys rank 1st. ( Ha ha ha, we got a better record then the Seasluts and the Cowgirls...Feels good to be in the playoff hunt!

If you wish to read entire offensive line rankings click here...
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/04/ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-9/

27. St. Louis Rams (25th)
Pass blocking rank: 25th

Run blocking rank: 28th

Penalties rank: 28th

Stud: First-year player Rob Havenstein (73.1) doesn’t look like a rookie.

Dud: Sophomore Greg Robinson (34.4) does look like a rookie.

Summary: There’s some talent on this offense, but this line is making them really max it out with their up and down efforts. We mentioned Robinson as the dud, but it’s a worry that he doesn’t seem to be progressing.

Ramsey's view, Tackling our offensive tackles- After Saffold's annual shoulder injury, the Ram's offensive line, youngest line in the league, was reshuffled yet again. Success on NFL offensive lines depends on continuity, experience with scheme, and maturity. 4 of our 5 OL starters are 3 to 4 years from their prime. Sans injuries, I predict our offensive line jells, as they forge forward toward their primes...What we once thought of as a weakness will become a dependable herd of rhinoceroses. Rock on Horns, rock on!

Give Greg a break- On a bi-weekly basis Greg Robinson gets a new Left Guard partner. Let's not forget Offensive Left Tackle is the one of the most difficult OL positions to play. Every week Robinson plays across the crème de la crème of defensive linemen. And check this out... did you know that Greg and Rob are the same age. We need to be more patient with Greg Robinson. He's only 23.

Profootball focus rates Rob Havenstein as the best rookie offensive tackle in the NFL!
He's a keeper. From my point of view, I think we got several decades worth of Rams on our offensive line.

Tackling the Defensive Tackles
- Profootball focus says...

The Rams have three of the top five defensive tackles in terms of run stop percentage in Weeks 5 through 8. Michael Brockers is third at 13.2 percent, Aaron Donald fourth at 13.0 percent, and Nick Fairley fifth at 12.9 percent.

In addition to that fat stat, Profootball focus rates Nick Fairley one of the top 10 free agent signings of 2015. And we didn't land a Ram on the worst 10 free agent signings list!

When it comes to what have you done for me lately, I think we can Fairley say that Snead and Fisher have figured out free agency. I like the last two years of Ram Free agent signings. The days of signing over Cook-ed free agents are Long gone. At least that's what I hope. Fisher and Snead are adapting to a complex, ever changing NFL. What more can you ask for from the dynamic duo Snisher?

Ramdom Thoughts - Every week our Rams- the youngest team in the NFL gains experience, grows stronger, and by playoff time- ( Oh yes WE will make the playoffs!) Our youngsters will grow into monsters that no playoff team will want to play...Not even on their home field. Our opponents, old vets grow tired, heal slow, grow old, as they run on fumes towards the December of their careers, meanwhile our youth movement moves inexorably toward total domination!

We're witnessing the beginning of the good old days. Enjoy 'em my Ram brothers!

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I would love for the Rams to keep Fairley. Don't know how realistic that is.
I would argue that C is right up there with LT.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This^ makes no sense to me considering the way Gurley and Austin have been racking up yards!!:confused:

I would guess it's the negative plays that create that are hurting the line's ranking. It's feast or famine with this line, when they execute their blocks you see their ability with big holes against everyone, but the inconsistency is due to the young players IMO.

It's a good thing though too. Rams are winning and have insane upside in both the run and pass games. 2 of 3 phases are legit.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm loving what Havenstein is bringing to the team....But until I see him against a guy, kinda like that Houston dude that destroyed Barksdale, I won't be totally convinced....But that time is getting closer....
G-Rob is still picked on, plays the toughest position, and still is the least experienced of ALL the linemen. But looks the part to me....I have no problems believing in our dancing bear (refrigerator with legs) on the left side.

That Donald & Brockers combination is getting better and better...I think they are the true keys to our run defense....they allow the back 7 to FLY to the ball...And fly they do...

Almost forgot....I would also like to see Fairley re-signed....dude won the NCG all by himself...he can dominate...and is getting more comfortable in G. Williams system...No reason he shouldn't be here in 2016 & 2017...maybe 2018.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This^ makes no sense to me considering the way Gurley and Austin have been racking up yards!!:confused:
If you take away the chunk yardage they have gotten a good majority of their running plays are failures. I believe Gurley has a league leading number of plays over 45 yards. Take away last weeks 71 yard TD and he had 62 yards on 19 carries.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
If you take away the chunk yardage they have gotten a good majority of their running plays are failures. I believe Gurley has a league leading number of plays over 45 yards. Take away last weeks 71 yard TD and he had 62 yards on 19 carries.

It drives me absolutely INSANE when people say this. Guess what? You cant take away the chunk yards, he consistently gets them, its part of his running style. Theres a reason why most of his yards come in the 4th quarter, he wears down the defense and is able to get those chunk yards.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It drives me absolutely INSANE when people say this. Guess what? You cant take away the chunk yards, he consistently gets them, its part of his running style. Theres a reason why most of his yards come in the 4th quarter, he wears down the defense and is able to get those chunk yards.
That has nothing to do with grading the oline. When 95% of your plays are bad they are bad. Having 5% of your plays be successful does not make you a good team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
This is an example where PFF, and real football have a disconnect. For instance, how many times do we just sit on the ball against stacked defenses, when we are up in a game?

BTW, I'm not saying we have a great OL, or anything, but anyone think our running game might even be better, if we had an inkling of a passing game?

Mid year MVP is between Hekker, Austin, and Gurley.