T-Hawks New 5 Round Mock Draft and Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

T-Hawks

UDFA
I have been starting to dig into free agency and the draft. Here is some of the things that I think that the Rams should do. This is not every player that we should sign or draft. This is just some of my ideas for what the Rams should do this upcoming offseason.

Off season

Resign Trumaine Johnson CB - Rams
Trumaine Johnson should be resigned. He is a #1 CB for this team and his play is great. He has injury concerns, but we need a big physical corner to play on an island by himself in Wade's defense. This is my priority for free agency.
maxresdefault.jpg

Sign Desean Jackson WR - Redskins
Jackson is coming to LA with Sean. Jackson is from the area and the Golden Bears can team up. Jackson has something this team is lacking. He is a deep threat receiver and he is very special.
499168066.jpg

Sign Ronald Leary OG - Cowboys
Leary does not have a place in Dallas. Leary immediately comes in and is a starting guard for our offensive line.
ronald-leary-nfl-washington-redskins-dallas-cowboys-850x560.jpg

Sign Matt Kalil OT - Vikings
Matt has potential. Have him come in and compete with Greg Robinson for that LT spot. Maybe with Matt coming to play in his old college stadium will bring back his glory days.
matt-kalil-nfl-washington-redskins-minnesota-vikings-590x900.jpg

NFL Draft

Round Two Pick - Jourdan Lewis CB - Michigan
Jourdan is a very impressive CB. He is my favorite player in the draft. He is ultra competitive and he sticks with his receivers like glue. He does not allow any completions. Trumaine and Jourdan will be our two starting cornerbacks for years to come.
lewis-pregamejpg-cb96f6c020550656.jpg

Round Three Pick - Chris Godwin WR Penn State
Chris is a very impressive wide receiver. He catches every ball that comes to him. He is a good route runner and he runs very physically. Godwin reminds me a whole lot of Boldin.
1846_h.jpg,qitok=4NlVmH8O.pagespeed.ce.WnuhuUYpUj.jpg

Round Four Pick - Kyle Fuller C Baylor
We really need to replace Tim Barnes. Fuller will come in and replace Barnes this season. He is a very good center that should open up some space for Gurley to run.
3970408.jpg

Round Five - Kenny Golladay WR NIU
Golladay is great value here. He is very tall at 6-4 and he is very fast. I think he can be developed into something special. He was extremely productive at NIU.
Galloday_8col.jpg

WR - Desean Jackson, Chris Godwin, Tavon Austin, Mike Thomas, Kenny Golladay
OL- Matt Kalil, Rodger Saffold, Kyle Fuller, Ronald Leary, Rob Havenstein
LT LG C RG RT
CB- Trumaine Johnson, Jourdan Lewis
FS- Lamarcus Joyner
SS- Maurice Alexander

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I think this mock draft fits our team needs really well.

One question I have is, why does everyone think there is not much drop off between McDonald and Mo? I'd much rather have McDonald, he is better in coverage and always has a highlight hit every game. I think Mo has benefited from being in GWILL's system. Plus, my last memory of him is not wanting to tackle Blount. Not sure how he fits in with Wade.

Personally, I'd rather see us offer McDonald at $6M a yr and trade Mo to Cleveland for a 5th or 6th.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
One question I have is, why does everyone think there is not much drop off between McDonald and Mo? I'd much rather have McDonald, he is better in coverage and always has a highlight hit every game. I think Mo has benefited from being in GWILL's system. Plus, my last memory of him is not wanting to tackle Blount. Not sure how he fits in with Wade.
It's not that there isn't a drop off, it's that most don't believe we have the funds necessary to keep TJ MacDonald. I like TJ...but we are in a bad place with several contracts that don't match production. We also are overloaded at the SS position, since Mark Barron in essence, is a SS too. Look what PFF says about the secondary:
Los Angeles Rams (17)
Top overall grade: S Maurice Alexander, 83.4 (No. 19)

Top coverage grade: S Maurice Alexander, 84.5 (No. 9)

Top run-defense grade: S Maurice Alexander, 73.3 (No. 56)

Most snaps: S T.J. McDonald, 1,072

Los Angeles’ secondary is a difficult unit to gauge. Among the Rams’ four players with at least 699 snaps, their lowest-graded player in coverage was Lamarcus Joyner, at 78.3. But beyond those four, five of their other six defensive backs to see significant playing time graded under 45.0 in coverage. Troy Hill and E.J. Gaines allowed passer ratings over 130.0, recording the second- and fourth-highest passer ratings allowed among all NFL cornerbacks, respectively. The group as a whole was also tied for the league-lead for missed tackles by defensive backs, with 65. Los Angeles certainly has some pieces to work with, but needs to improve its starting base corner and depth.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think this mock draft fits our team needs really well.

Personally, I'd rather see us offer McDonald at $6M a yr and trade Mo to Cleveland for a 5th or 6th.
I'd rather have McD as well. The problem is we need to move some money to the offense.
And as @LACHAMP46 pointed out. SS is a deep position. We have 3 guys that can start there.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
It's not that there isn't a drop off, it's that most don't believe we have the funds necessary to keep TJ MacDonald. I like TJ...but we are in a bad place with several contracts that don't match production. We also are overloaded at the SS position, since Mark Barron in essence, is a SS too. Look what PFF says about the secondary:
I agree with your point, but again it's the GWill system. The majority of plays had Mo lining up 20+ yards behind the line of scrimmage. GWILL runs a contain where he tries to reduce splash plays that go over the top.

That's going to look great at PFF for whoever you place back there since the offense won't take many deep shots, you allow the deep safety to choose an angle on run plays should they break that far, and coverage lapses may not be blamed on Mo since it's unlikely cbs will pass off to him.

Further, I'm pulling him off the field in 4+ receiver sets. While he is adequate, I think there is a huge drop off in range and tackling.

codeman

UDFA
I really like Godwin. He has a lot of Garcon type traits. He is one of the best contested catch receivers I've seen. I'm interested in how he'll do at the combine.
I like Jourdan Lewis, but wonder if he can stick on the outside. He's definitely talented. Very tenacious and sticky in coverage.
I haven't watched Fuller but a starting center would be nice for once.
I really like all the free agents except Kalil. They would really help the Rams. I'm really not a fan of Kalil, he might be worse than Robinson. It would be cheap though I guess.
I've mostly watched receivers and tight ends this year and Kenny Golladay was disappointing. He doesn't use his size or body very well and was not the best route runner. With Jackson and Godwin he probably wouldn't play much either.

As far as safety goes I actually think Mo is better at free safety than strong safety. He was an average FS this year which was very surprising to me and did a pretty good job replacing Mcleod. TJ probably won't cost very much to bring back (like 3-5 million a year).