Super Bowl Odds: Rams Slide Back Into Bottom Half of Potential Champions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
2016 Super Bowl Odds: St. Louis Rams Slide Back Into Bottom Half Of Potential Champions

By 3k

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/6/30/8868661/2016-super-bowl-odds-st-louis-rams

Online sports book Bovada has pushed the Rams' chances back a bit. What gives?

We got our first taste of Super Bowl L odds back in January when the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook had the St. Louis Rams at 25/1 to win the whole thing this season. It was pretty high praise to be in there tied for the eighth-most favorable odds and ahead of so many legitimate contenders.

Then after the draft in early May, Bovada dropped their first odds set on everything from the Super Bowl champion to division winner to rookie of the year candidates. Their initial odds had the Rams at 33/1, essentially tied for 12th. A slight drop, but still a pretty strong endorsement of the state of the team overall.

Today, Bovada has updated their odds dropping the Rams down to 40/1. Now on one hand, you could argue the only people who should be upset by this are the ones who put some money on the Rams between May 5 and today losing out on that extra 7/1 goodness.

I think the bigger issue is why they dropped the Rams into the next tier. With the last odds coming after the draft, it's not about personnel. Is it just uncomfortability with Jeff Fisher at the helm? Did the draft class settle in and lose some luster? Were they expecting a late free agency push to help add some experience to the offensive line?

The Rams also dropped in their NFC champion odds from 18/1 to 20/1. They remained at the same odds to win the NFC West, as did Seattle, while Arizona got a favorable bump. Bovada dropped the 49ers in all categories.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Online sports book Bovada has pushed the Rams' chances back a bit. What gives?

What gives is odds are based on predicted and actual betting in an attempt to get as many betting for as against and have nothing to do with actual expectations of who wins the superbowl.

jjab360

Legend
What gives is odds are based on predicted and actual betting in an attempt to get as many betting for as against and have nothing to do with actual expectations of who wins the superbowl.
Exactly. Harder for bookies to make out if there's an obvious favorite that has the same odds of winning as the underdog. Doesn't really matter what the expert say the chances of winning are, just public opinion and where they're putting their money.

Anyway, I like those long odds and I have a good feeling about our team this year. Might be a chance to put down some pocket change and win the lottery in a few months.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Exactly. Harder for bookies to make out if there's an obvious favorite that has the same odds of winning as the underdog. Doesn't really matter what the expert say the chances of winning are, just public opinion and where they're putting their money.

Anyway, I like those long odds and I have a good feeling about our team this year. Might be a chance to put down some pocket change and win the lottery in a few months.

Last time they won the superbowl, they went off at 200-1. I dream of having taken that bet! That means people were betting $2,000 against the rams to win $10 and got burned! What?! LOL!

Bookies earn a living off the commission, not the bets. they don't want lopsided betting so they move the line. there are simply not enough betters betting on the Rams, so they moved the line. All based on public perception with no basis in reality. Teams that get hyped get the bets.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Last time they won the superbowl, they went off at 200-1. I dream of having taken that bet! That means people were betting $2,000 against the rams to win $10 and got burned! What?! LOL!
Somewhere out there, there's a dedicated Rams fan whose entire life changed that year lol.