Super Blood Moon Tonight

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/science/super-blood-moon-to-make-last-appearance-until-2033.html

Super Blood Moon to Make Last Appearance Until 2033
By DANIEL VICTOR
SEPT. 25, 2015

25SUPERMOON-master1050.jpg

A lunar eclipse seen from Tokyo on Oct. 8, 2014. On Sunday, a super blood moon will be visible when the moon is at its closest to Earth at the same time as a lunar eclipse.

A rare astronomical phenomenon Sunday night will produce a moon that will appear slightly bigger than usual and have a reddish hue, an event known as a super blood moon.

It’s a combination of curiosities that hasn’t happened since 1982, and won’t happen again until 2033. A so-called supermoon, which occurs when the moon is closest to earth in its orbit, will coincide with a lunar eclipse, leaving the moon in Earth’s shadow. Individually, the two phenomena are not uncommon, but they do not align often.

Most people are unlikely to detect the larger size of the supermoon. It may appear 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter, but the difference is subtle to the plain eye. But the reddish tint from the lunar eclipse is likely to be visible throughout much of North America, especially on the East Coast.

“You’re basically seeing all of the sunrises and sunsets across the world, all at once, being reflected off the surface of the moon,” said Dr. Sarah Noble, a program scientist at NASA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=vKAw_wrIr5s

Stargazers are excited. Though the celestial show will be visible by simply looking toward the sky, the Intrepid Museum in New York will host a free viewing from its perch at Pier 86 on the Hudson River with astronomers and high-powered telescopes on hand. The Amateur Astronomers Association of New York will be holding several free events in the city, including at the High Line, offering telescopes and binoculars for better views.

“People can ask questions, and we can answer the questions right there,” said Marcelo Cabrera, the club’s president.

The eclipse will begin at 9:07 p.m. Eastern time, as the Earth’s shadow moves across the moon, according to the association. At 10:11 p.m., the entire moon should be in the Earth’s shadow, at which point it will adopt the reddish color. It will remain fully in the shadow until 11:23 p.m., and the eclipse will end at 12:27 a.m.

If time or attention spans run short, Mr. Cabrera suggested looking up just before the moon descends fully into the Earth’s shadow at 10:11 p.m., as it turns color.

Dr. Noble said such events tend to get more people interested in astronomy, as it creates an opportunity to take children outside and get them looking up at the sky. “It leads to conversations about what else is up there,” she said.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Isn't there some prophecy attached to all these blood moons?
I mean, the other 14 prophecies didn't come true, but this one seems a bit more ominous.
It has the word blood in it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Isn't there some prophecy attached to all these blood moons?
I mean, the other 14 prophecies didn't come true, but this one seems a bit more ominous.
It has the word blood in it.

No prophecies in the Bible about that. Just thought it would be interesting to look at tonight. Unfortunately it's drizzling and foggy here in Cumberland, MD., so we'll miss it. Maybe I'll moon the wife later. :sneaky:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No prophecies in the Bible about that. Just thought it would be interesting to look at tonight. Unfortunately it's drizzling and foggy here in Cumberland, MD., so we'll miss it. Maybe I'll moon the wife later. :sneaky:
Joel 2:31?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Also in Acts chapter 2. We've had a lot of blood moons down through the centuries and nothing happened.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Lotta prophecies, but ........... nothing.
To be honest, it would be pretty cool to see one come to fruition. I'm like George Carlin in that I tend to root for the natural disasters.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, that's what I mean. Lotta prophecies, but ........... nothing.
To be honest, it would be pretty cool to see one come to fruition. I'm like George Carlin in that I tend to root for the natural disasters.

A lot of biblical prophecies have come to pass but I'll not list them in this thread or I would have to ban myself for breaking the "no religious discussions" rule.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
We ended up having a little mini block party tonight

Nothing planed , but as the wife and I went out side to watch , you could hear voices coming from up and down the street , pretty much everyone was out side watching it , most of us ended up at the neighbors three houses down

It was the perfect night for it , clear skies , around 70 degrees , no bugs , and it happened early enough in the evening that I could stay awake long enough to watch it

pretty cool

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was in Whistler, Canada Saturday night (golf trip).

Walking through the Olympic Village, it was an amazing sight!