Steven Jackson Released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Sorry no link, I'm on my phone. Poor guy. Hopefully a good team gives him a shot at a ring.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sorry no link, I'm on my phone. Poor guy. Hopefully a good team gives him a shot at a ring.

JMO but he was as good as done when he left us and Atlanta made a huge mistake that contributed to Smith losing his job, he was a great back even HOF quality, but the NFL wears RB's down faster than any other position and when they play the majority of their career behind o-lines that were either in decline or were poorly built.
I used to say that SJ should lead the league in yards after contact because IMO he probably had the lowest average yardage before contact.
Stay in shape lose 15lbs. wait for a call in October from a contender is what I would advise him to do.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think the world of Jackson, and while he isn't a guy who should be in the HOF he's a guy I'd want on my team each and every Sunday.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Disappointed to see SJ get released, but its the nature of the NFL. He's had a great career if he retired today. Hope some team gives him a shot. One of my all-time favorite Rams

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree with @Thordaddy And I also agree that it would be great for us to give him a retirement contract and celebration. The dude was a warrior for us.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Yup RamFan503 I was just going to post that if he decides to retire the Rams need to hire him back so he can retire as a Ram.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
That's really weird. I could have sworn I read somewhere here on rod that he already decided to retire. Eh, too tired to look for it at the moment,

RedAlice

UDFA
Name
Alice
I agree with @Thordaddy And I also agree that it would be great for us to give him a retirement contract and celebration. The dude was a warrior for us.

Yes. Our #39. He was our warrior when we had no other. I cried when I learned he was gone - I had been flying all day and so didn't know about it and then landed home and saw the info and just cried.

In all the losing years, he was the player you could look to and love and the guy who played like we could win. I wanted to keep him forever.

Would love to see Rams bring him back to retire as a Ram.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I hope he retires(as a Ram) for several reasons.
1) He has nothing left to prove. Championship or not, SJ has had a great career among his peers.
2) He enjoys life outside of football. I'd like to see him start a new chapter without football.
3) I'd hate to see him go to a division rival as a goal line back/backup wearing Cardinal Red or Seahawk Green. I would be disgusted.

RedAlice

UDFA
Name
Alice
@Mojo Ram - I never even considered your option 3. That would be impossible to watch - I don't think he would do that.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I think he will sign a one day contract with the Rams before he retires so that he can retire a Ram. Really, it's hard to imagine him as something other than a Ram

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
He needs to retire a Ram and, ultimately, his number needs retiring as well. I realise this will take a while cus #13 is still active (amongst others) but Jackson was literally the only consistent bright spot for the Rams for so many years. How he consistently broke 1000 yards behind so many crappy o-lines is incredible

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/26/steven-jackson-has-no-plans-to-retire/

Steven Jackson has no plans to retire
Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptg3ogq2ywjkyjk2ywmzntmyzjixntm5zmzjmja1mtdh-e1419616890429.jpeg
AP

Yes, he’s played 11 years in the NFL. Sure, he’s 31. Yep, he was cut by the Falcons on Thursday. But none of that means running back Steven Jackson is calling it quits.

“A lot has been written lately about my future,” Jackson wrote on his official website. “There are questions about my age, and what I have left in the tank. Of that, I will simply say this. For the first nine years of my career, I was used like a battering ram, punishing opposing defense over four quarters of a game. Maybe you stopped me the first five times I got the ball, but by the 15th or 20th time I got it, late in a game — let’s just say you were really feeling me at that point.

“Make no mistake: I can still punish a defense. I still have a warrior’s heart. There are 1,000-yard seasons left in these legs. I know what I am still capable of, and I have every intention of proving it.”

Jackson enters the market at a time when tailbacks like Reggie Bush, Chris Johnson, andDeAngelo Williams, and Jackson is older and has more wear and tear than each of them. At a time when teams are opting for multiple tailbacks who are on the young and cheap side, Jackson could have a hard time getting an acceptable offer. He could have an even harder time getting the reps necessary to churn out more 1,000-yard seasons.

But we wish him the best as he embarks on finding a new home. He’s been a great leader by example on a lot of bad teams. He deserves to get a chance to play for a good team.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would have been nice if he had stayed a Ram... but it was a mutual parting of the ways, with each side moving on - which is what the circumstances probably called for at the time.

Obviously, the Atlanta gig didnt turn out very well for him. A shame... he deserved success.

I know he always kept his body at optimum condition and he's still probably in as good a shape as any professional athlete coud be at his age.

But he is 31 now and he was used more than 90% of backs during his years with the Rams. It had to have taken a toll.

He says he can still do it... if there was any RB playing today that I wouldn't bet against, it's him. But I'm surprised he isn't just retiring.

If a team picks him up, I hope he's able to contribute and have a successful ending to his career.

We can debate all day whether he is HOF material or not (I think he is), but few would debate the dedication and effort he gave this franchise for most of the years he played for it.

Good luck, Steven!