Stel's mock 2.0 (with a trade)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
Yes, I'm bored at work. Rams resign Barksdale.

At #10: Trade. Rams trade their first round, third round, and fourth round picks (10, 41, 72) to Houston for Houston's first, second, third and sixth round picks (16, 51, 82, and 195). Houston moves up for a WR.

Rams take:
16. OC Cameron Erving, Florida State
41. LB Stephone Anthony, Clemson
51. OG Laken Tomlinson, Duke
82. QB Garrett Grayson, Colorado State
195. OT Corey Robinson, South Carolina
216. DT Ellis McCarthy, UCLA
228. DE Obum Gwacham, Oregon State

Back to work.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If the Rams used the draft trade chart as a guide they would be getting the short end of the stick with that trade. And by quite a few points.

Also it seems pretty doubtful to me that 40 players will be selected before Anthony. I doubt he even gets out of the 1st round.

Stel

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure how we come up that short. By my calculation:
Rams give: 10, 72, 119 [1300+230+56=1586]
Rams get: 16, 51, 82, 195 [1000+390+180+13=1583]

Anthony's stock has been going up, but I think he'll go in the top half of round 2. When I'm in doubt, I tend to use cbssports.com (nfldraftscout) as a guide. They have him at #47 on their list. nfl.com has him #46 on their list.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not sure how we come up that short. By my calculation:
Rams give: 10, 72, 119 [1300+230+56=1586]
Rams get: 16, 51, 82, 195 [1000+390+180+13=1583]

Anthony's stock has been going up, but I think he'll go in the top half of round 2. When I'm in doubt, I tend to use cbssports.com (nfldraftscout) as a guide. They have him at #47 on their list. nfl.com has him #46 on their list.

You're right on the trade chart. I miscalculated.:oops:

Over the years I've found most list pretty slow to update (if updated at all).

On a side note, it seems most everyone wants Cameron Erving (including myself). But, I've yet to come across anyone that would be fine with the Rams standing pat and selecting him at #10. How about you?

Stel

Starter
I think Erving is a late 1st to mid 2nd prospect who very likely will be taken higher than that because:
1. This is not a good draft class at the top and
2. This is not a good draft class for centers

In essence, he is the biggest fish in a small pond. I think #10 is too high for him (heck, I think #16 is too high, but I'd seriously consider him there).

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
On a side note, it seems most everyone wants Cameron Erving (including myself). But, I've yet to come across anyone that would be fine with the Rams standing pat and selecting him at #10. How about you?
I love Erving too, but I think we could drop as far as 17 and still get him. JMHO!

thehammer

Rookie
stel you already know my opinion of your draft knowledge but for those who don't I would fire Snead and hire Stel as GM to do the rams draft in a second....great draft

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I think Erving is a late 1st to mid 2nd prospect who very likely will be taken higher than that because:
1. This is not a good draft class at the top and
2. This is not a good draft class for centers

In essence, he is the biggest fish in a small pond. I think #10 is too high for him (heck, I think #16 is too high, but I'd seriously consider him there).

I disagree on both accounts. There are some really nice Centers in this draft. Maybe not that Travis Frederick guy, but Dismukes, Grasu, Galik, Mason, Mancz and Morse all have the potential to start at the next level. Plus you got guys like Laken Tomlinson and Ali Marpet that have the ability to play the position.

Stel

Starter
I disagree on both accounts. There are some really nice Centers in this draft. Maybe not that Travis Frederick guy, but Dismukes, Grasu, Galik, Mason, Mancz and Morse all have the potential to start at the next level. Plus you got guys like Laken Tomlinson and Ali Marpet that have the ability to play the position.

It is the "all have the potential to start" that is the problem. Doubtful any of them can start day 1. The best options are the conversion projects which may take 2-3 years to be centers. Laken Tomlinson is a ROG only. I don't think he is a candidate to play center. Marpet is.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
The only guy I think it could take awhile to develop is Mancz.

But as far as your mock goes, I'm a fan. I have absolutely no issues with it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It is the "all have the potential to start" that is the problem. Doubtful any of them can start day 1. The best options are the conversion projects which may take 2-3 years to be centers. Laken Tomlinson is a ROG only. I don't think he is a candidate to play center. Marpet is.

I like Tomlinson, but that ROG only thing bothers me. Everything I've read and seen is that is Saffold's best position. And if at all possible, I believe the Rams would be better off letting guys play their best positions.

Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney, and the newly re-signed Tim Barnes makes me wonder if Erving is going to be an option on draft day now.

Last edited:

Stel

Starter
Wasn't aware Barnes was resigned when I made the mock. If the Rams think they are set at center, my mock would change.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
If the Rams used the draft trade chart as a guide they would be getting the short end of the stick with that trade. And by quite a few points.

Also it seems pretty doubtful to me that 40 players will be selected before Anthony. I doubt he even gets out of the 1st round.

Memphis, I am also impressed by MLB Anthony. However, I checked how some Mocks and scouting services have him rated and he averages out to a 2nd to 3rd round pick.

I would be happy with the Rams taking him in the 2nd round, knowing they will use at least 2 selections on the O-line.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Memphis, I am also impressed by MLB Anthony. However, I checked how some Mocks and scouting services have him rated and he averages out to a 2nd to 3rd round pick.

I would be happy with the Rams taking him in the 2nd round, knowing they will use at least 2 selections on the O-line.

Just wait till closer to draft day and see what happens to any rankings that are updated.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

I agree Tomlinson isn't a candidate to play center but he can most definitely play LOG. In fact, I believe he is a better pass blocker than run blocker at the moment not that he is a poor run blocker by any means.

I love the pick of Anthony in the 2nd but have a sneaky suspicion he will climb on draft day. Also love the Ellis McCarthy pick. If Fairley doesn't work out, this guy has had a year to sit behind Brockers and Donald.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I may be in the minority but I don't like Stephone Anthony. He's a workout warrior. On the field, I saw a guy that plays soft (does not like to attack blockers) and doesn't have top flight instincts. He guesses a lot and takes a lot of false steps. It's why he doesn't play as fast as he times. For me, I think instincts are the most important part of a LB's game. And I just don't see great instincts in Anthony.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You're right on the trade chart. I miscalculated.:oops:

Over the years I've found most list pretty slow to update (if updated at all).

I would take him at 10 if the top 9 played out the way you have it on the draft you did last week.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like Tomlinson, but that ROG only thing bothers me. Everything I've read and seen is that is Saffold's best position. And if at all possible, I believe the Rams would be better off letting guys play their best positions.

Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney, and the newly re-signed Tim Barnes makes me wonder if Erving is going to be an option on draft day now.

Erving can play G,C, and OT. I think he should still be in the discussion. He could Compete for all three spots, and Center is far from settled. Jones is a ?, Rhaney is a ?, and the Rams allowed Barnes to leave and then signed him cheap, for depth. I don't feel comfortable with the center position as it is.