Stefen Wisniewski Anyone?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What should Rams do for the Center Position

• Sign FA Stefen Wisniewski

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Sign FA Tim Barnes

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Sign Barnes and Wis

Votes: 16 40.0%

• Total voters

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Deja vu allover again, Stefen Wisinewski is a free agent again. 26 year old Stefen stands 6'3, weighs 305, played well for the Jaguars last year. Last year the Jags paid Stefen a reasonable 2.5 million dollars.

Wisinewski is a better pass blocker then run blocker and Wis played better in 2015 then in 2014. At 26 years old Wis is entering his prime.

I wanted the Rams to sign Wisinewski last year, along with a 1/3 of Ramsondemand membership. Well, Wisnewski is on the free agent carousel again. I want Wisnewski in horns. Wisnewski would shore up the interior of the our offensive line, leaving Robinson as the lone wild card.

Should Sneed grab the brass ring this time around? Or should we stick with Tim Barnes. Or should Sneed draft a center?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I want Alex Mack to opt out of his contract with the Browns and sign with the Los Angeles Rams as the Rams get the hometown discount as Mack has always wanted to play in the Golden State.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Just roll with Tim Barnes. Let him develop and play. Center wasn't even the biggest issue last year, it was guard b/c of the injuries.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I doubt the Rams will see center as a push position for FA. Wiz is better than Barnes but he took that one year contract because he wants bank. He will go to the highest bidder and it won't be the Rams because they have to pay up for their defense to avoid a dropoff and also have to find a wideout in FA. Rams will be throwing money around at wideout IMO.

When the Rams look at the center position they'll see draftees that can be had in rounds 4 & 6 with possibility of starting. I also doubt Barnes is going to pull a Wiz and price himself out of the market so there's a reasonable chance he comes back so I don't think Wiz will be in the equation.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
wouldnt hurt to draft that position either. didnt someone post where tim barnes was ranked 31 out of 32 centers? if so, thats a problem.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I have been calling for Wisniewski for a while now. I like Tim Barnes but in the end he should be a solid backup. He didn't have the athleticism to get hands on defenders on stretch-zone run plays last year. I think Wis would be a big upgrade at the position. He'd be worth the money IMO.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I could live with Wisniewski on a short term contract, he'd be an upgrade, but would prefer Manny Ramirez if we go the free agent route, which i'm all in favor of. Ramirez starting and a Center draft pick to develop, someone to compete with Rhaney works for me. Barnes, like Barksdale last year, is probably given the opportunity to find his true value thru free agency, and I doubt he'd like to return as a back-up which is how I see him.

Anyway, for the purposes of this poll, i'd have to vote 'none of the above' with Wiz as my second option. jmo.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I doubt the Rams will see center as a push position for FA. Wiz is better than Barnes but he took that one year contract because he wants bank. He will go to the highest bidder and it won't be the Rams because they have to pay up for their defense to avoid a dropoff and also have to find a wideout in FA. Rams will be throwing money around at wideout IMO.

When the Rams look at the center position they'll see draftees that can be had in rounds 4 & 6 with possibility of starting. I also doubt Barnes is going to pull a Wiz and price himself out of the market so there's a reasonable chance he comes back so I don't think Wiz will be in the equation.
The Jags have a ton of money, this year, that they have to spend because of the new CBA, so I don't think they let him get away! JMO

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
wouldnt hurt to draft that position either. didnt someone post where tim barnes was ranked 31 out of 32 centers? if so, thats a problem.
Ranking offensive lineman individually using analytics when there are 5 pieces that comprise a unit is a problem. I agree that addressing the position via the draft is a good idea.

Let these guys continue to play together and grow. No need to throw more ridiculous money at it IMO.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Every FA red cent needs to go towards keeping this defense together.
Hyperbole, but that's where i'm spending the money if i'm the GM.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Depends on the $. If for some reason, a member or two of the defense gets away because they're going after a paycheque, then yeah, sure. Grab Wiz if the value for $ is there. But keeping the D intact is priority one.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Yeah, that was a mid-season grade from PFF. Barnes ended the season rated 29'th out of 39 graded Centers. The list expands as the season unfolds and those back-ups replacing starters gain enough snaps to be graded.

Here's a few Center grade ratings for comparison :

1) Travis Frederick
4) Manuel Ramirez
6) Rodney Hudson
11) Mike Pouncey
12) Ryan Kalil
13) Alex Mack
14) Max Unger
17) Nick Mangold
19) Stefen Wisniewski
23) Mike Person
29) Tim Barnes

Manny Ramirez leads the list of potential 2016 free agents.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Let's understand one another. If we can resign both JJ and Tru as well as retain Barron and Ayers, then I'm fine with upgrading the O, but the last thing we can afford to do is finally get to a place where we have a culture of being able to develop talent only to let them walk.

Freak that. I don't want the Rams to be the farm team for the Richie Riches of the NFL...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Let's understand one another. If we can resign both JJ and Tru as well as retain Barron and Ayers, then I'm fine with upgrading the O, but the last thing we can afford to do is finally get to a place where we have a culture of being able to develop talent only to let them walk.

Freak that. I don't want the Rams to be the farm team for the Richie Riches of the NFL...

There are no 'richy-riches in the NFL, all teams operate under the same CAP, … there are just teams that make better decisions than their adversaries. The Rams have a lot of available CAP right now with the ability to create much more with targeted cuts of expensive players who underperform. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I going to pay Tim Barnes what a good young center should get. A 4 yr contract for 8 million.

Then I am looking to draft at least one OL'er in the 2016 draft. I like Evan Boehm Missouri 6-2 310 using my 6th rd pick.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1996115/evan-boehm

Next as soon as the 3rd day of the 2016 draft concludes...I would order Fisher call Mike Mathews dad who Fisher knows well & offer center Mathews a nice UDFA contract.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1996276/mike-matthews

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I take your point, Mackeyser.

But in the real world it's not quite so cut and dried, is it?

For example, I think we can survive the loss of either JJ or Tru since we have Gaines waiting in the wings (assuming he's 100%, of course). And this is a great CB draft class, just in case.

Ayers is hardly a "must have" either, IMO.

Meanwhile, we currently have the worst O in the damned league. At some point don't we have to start allocating cap dollars and/or draft picks to our O?

Look, I'm not exactly advocating for Wis here. But I do see the logic in addressing our O weakest links, when possible.

Maybe a FA addition at WR or TE could be a bridge move to help bring our O up to at least league average. Not putting all our eggs in the draft basket, so to speak.

I guess I'm just saying that I'm keeping an open mind to all possible offseason moves.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, I agree, I'm up for anything, but I'd be awful worried if we started signing O FAs and hadn't locked up our guys from the D, yet.

Awful worried.