Starting a trilogy (WARNING: Not Safe for Minors.)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Um...there is rape in this story. Not shown (because I would never show that crap), but definitely implied. Like I said, this is not safe for minors.

Not in this first chapter, though. But there are allusions to very morally-wrong sexual actions.

There isn't much sex in this because the romantic aspects that I wanted to focus on don't have anything to do with sex.

10454273.jpg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Updating. Edited the first chapter a bit, and the second chapter is done!

Memento

Name
Jemma
Updating. Chapter three is down for the count.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Before I read this I need to know something.

Is there lots of graphic sex?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Where are the pictures? Awe man is this one of them books with pages and pages of words?

Seriously though Mem. Good luck on this. I'll read more when I get a chance.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Are you letting us know about your progress or is there a place to go and check it out and provide feedback?

I feel like when my kids tell me, "I can't find it." And it's right in front of them...

I feel like I've scrolled thru this thread like six times looking for Chapter Two...lol.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Kinda reminds me of a story that would take place in Brandon Sandersons(one of my favorite authors) Reckoners trilogy. Though I'd have to read more to really know if it goes in that direction or not. Keep up the good work, hope to read more of it.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Are you letting us know about your progress or is there a place to go and check it out and provide feedback?

I feel like when my kids tell me, "I can't find it." And it's right in front of them...

I feel like I've scrolled thru this thread like six times looking for Chapter Two...lol.

I'm just letting you all know about progress. I have it up on Google Docs, but you'd have to go there. ...And why are your kids asking? How old are they? Remember...I don't want to scar kids under the age of twenty for life, so...yeah. But I'll give you guys the link so that you can see what I have:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hAgKhIth9icZAVzFYSC-Vntj80w0XhMKiNsVjqhRsyA/edit]

You don't have to log on to comment; I'm allowing comments from people who aren't logged on.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Where are the pictures? Awe man is this one of them books with pages and pages of words?

Seriously though Mem. Good luck on this. I'll read more when I get a chance.
Sorry @Memento butt that was pretty funny. I know... don't encourage him.

I have to admit...yeah, it was funny. Mainly because it was Spiderman saying it. And well...it's not technically a book. The trilogy will be online for ninety-nine cents a book. All proceeds go to my friend's favorite charity: The Wounded Warriors Project. If I wrote it and got enough to help somewhat, that would be enough for me; I don't need the money nearly as much as they would. And you're definitely welcome to read more.

Kinda reminds me of a story that would take place in Brandon Sandersons(one of my favorite authors) Reckoners trilogy. Though I'd have to read more to really know if it goes in that direction or not. Keep up the good work, hope to read more of it.

The Reckoners trilogy? I've heard of Sanderson, but I've never heard of that trilogy.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
No, I was just saying that I felt a bit helpless and derpy looking for something that I figured should be essentially right in front of me.

Which, as it turns out, mirrors the poor search skills of my kids... Not unique among the youth... "I've searched EVERYWHERE!" "You mean, for this?"
"OMG, where'd you find it?" "It was right here all along. If it were a snake, it would have bit ya."

Then I usually get the duck face because they suspect I hide everything they need rather than that their search skills stink on ice...

I'll check out the Google docs. Thx.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
The Reckoners trilogy? I've heard of Sanderson, but I've never heard of that trilogy.
Sanderson is awesome, writes great fantasy, amazing. If you havent read him and you like fantasy at all I can tell you some you should definitely read.

As for The Reckoners trilogy; It's about a bunch of people who suddenly obtain super powers when an unnatural event occurs. But the superheroes are dicks and kill people and rule cities and a group of normal humans try to kill them(All superheroes have a random weakness, like koolaid or UV light etc.) Its a teen series but still a very good and fun read even if you're much older. Currently waiting on the 3rd book to be released.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Sanderson is awesome, writes great fantasy, amazing. If you havent read him and you like fantasy at all I can tell you some you should definitely read.

As for The Reckoners trilogy; It's about a bunch of people who suddenly obtain super powers when an unnatural event occurs. But the superheroes are dicks and kill people and rule cities and a group of normal humans try to kill them(All superheroes have a random weakness, like koolaid or UV light etc.) Its a teen series but still a very good and fun read even if you're much older. Currently waiting on the 3rd book to be released.

Well...you might want to read further. The doc is always open, so...yeah. :)

And yeah, I should definitely read some of Sanderson. I've heard that he's good, and I like fantasy.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Well...you might want to read further. The doc is always open, so...yeah. :)

And yeah, I should definitely read some of Sanderson. I've heard that he's good, and I like fantasy.

Hadent seen the doc's or I would have lol. I will read them this weekend.

I think you would really like the Mistborn trilogy, its a fantastic series with a great magic system.

My favorite by him is his new mega series called the Stormlight Archive. Hes only written two books so far but its planned to be 10 total, and they are very very very big books(im talking 400k words).

Another good series is the Ravens Shadow trilogy(2 books out so far), by Anthony Ryan. Book 1 is amazing.

Then there is Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss(waiting on book 3 of this as well) :(

Sorry, now Im rambling lol. There are just so many good ones and i really get into them.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Hadent seen the doc's or I would have lol. I will read them this weekend.

I think you would really like the Mistborn trilogy, its a fantastic series with a great magic system.

My favorite by him is his new mega series called the Stormlight Archive. Hes only written two books so far but its planned to be 10 total, and they are very very very big books(im talking 400k words).

Another good series is the Ravens Shadow trilogy(2 books out so far), by Anthony Ryan. Book 1 is amazing.

Then there is Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss(waiting on book 3 of this as well) :(

Sorry, now Im rambling lol. There are just so many good ones and i really get into them.

THE GOOGLE DOC IS IN THIS LINK IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN READING FURTHER.

I've actually heard of the Mistborn trilogy a bit. If it has the same amount of time that J.K. Rowling put into her world or more, then count me in.

Ah, ten books? Interesting. Hopefully he's not a huge procrastinator like G.R.R.M. :D

Anthony Ryan and Patrick Rothfuss are names that I haven't heard of. I'll have to check them out.

It's fine. The biggest thing I can do to help myself is learn from great authors and authoresses and how they work their craft, how they build their worlds and characters, how they structure sentences. I just hope that my trilogy can be half as good as they are.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
THE GOOGLE DOC IS IN THIS LINK IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN READING FURTHER.

I've actually heard of the Mistborn trilogy a bit. If it has the same amount of time that J.K. Rowling put into her world or more, then count me in.

Ah, ten books? Interesting. Hopefully he's not a huge procrastinator like G.R.R.M. :D

Anthony Ryan and Patrick Rothfuss are names that I haven't heard of. I'll have to check them out.

It's fine. The biggest thing I can do to help myself is learn from great authors and authoresses and how they work their craft, how they build their worlds and characters, how they structure sentences. I just hope that my trilogy can be half as good as they are.
The thing about the Anderson 10 book series is that he also writes like 5+ books in between them and still has only took about 2 years to get book 2 out. He is like non stop writing and it's all good. He has like 4 different book series going on at once and more. G.R.R.M spends five years writing one book lol. I pisses me off cause the show is going to surpass the books.

Trust me on mistborn, it is awesome as hell, think you'd like it.

And ofc check the others out, all these guys are basically the top dogs now and best at the craft.

I will read the docs this weekend, and though I am no author, will give you my opinion on them even if im not really qualified for it if you want lol. I'm not a writer but I did stay at a holiday Inn express last night!!

Last edited:

Memento

Name
Jemma
The thing about the Anderson 10 book series is that he also writes like 5+ books in between them and still has only took about 2 years to get book 2 out. He is like non stop writing and it's all good. He has like 4 different book series going on at once and more. G.R.R.M spends five years writing one book lol. I posses me off cause the show is going to surpass the books.

Trust me on mistborn, it is awesome as hell, think you'd like it.

And ofc check the others out, all these guys are basically the top dogs now and best at the craft.

I will read the docs this weekend, and though I am no other will give you my opinion on them even if im not really qualified for it if you want lol. I'm not a writer but I did stay at a holiday Inn express last night!!

I don't care if you think you're qualified or not. In my eyes, you're definitely qualified because this is mostly fantasy with some science fiction, and you have experience with those genres. You know what a good book will look like. Sometimes, you don't need a writing critic's eye to tell you what's wrong with a story. Rather, you would need a reader to see if it's enjoyable or not. That's the main draw. Is it enjoyable? Will people buy this? Is it better to them than most of the stuff that you see from self-publishing authors and authoresses nowadays? Is it worth ninety-nine cents?

Those are best left to someone who actually immerses themselves in the story rather than someone who reads from afar with detachment.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I don't care if you think you're qualified or not. In my eyes, you're definitely qualified because this is mostly fantasy with some science fiction, and you have experience with those genres. You know what a good book will look like. Sometimes, you don't need a writing critic's eye to tell you what's wrong with a story. Rather, you would need a reader to see if it's enjoyable or not. That's the main draw. Is it enjoyable? Will people buy this? Is it better to them than most of the stuff that you see from self-publishing authors and authoresses nowadays? Is it worth ninety-nine cents?

Those are best left to someone who actually immerses themselves in the story rather than someone who reads from afar with detachment.
Nice :), would you want me to give my critique here or in a pm? doubt it matters to you but figured id ask anyway. Looking forward to reading the doc's.

Greg Stone

Rookie
Best wishes on your project.

"Deconstruction" with regard to literature was coined by Derrida in the 60's. His point was that all literary theory, all attempts to derive the "truth" behind the story are, to paraphrase Williams James, monuments to the vanity of the literary critics and only get in the way of the temporary and individual meaning that exists at the intersection of the writer's words and each reader.

I've never heard it used this way, but I can see the connection, and frankly I'm an old guy who hasn't kept up on the evolution of literary concepts.

Memento

Name
Jemma

"Deconstruction" with regard to literature was coined by Derrida in the 60's. His point was that all literary theory, all attempts to derive the "truth" behind the story are, to paraphrase Williams James, monuments to the vanity of the literary critics and only get in the way of the temporary and individual meaning that exists at the intersection of the writer's words and each reader.

I've never heard it used this way, but I can see the connection, and frankly I'm an old guy who hasn't kept up on the evolution of literary concepts.

I entirely disagree with Derrida's version of deconstruction. This deconstruction is not negative like Derrida's versions tended to be; it's more based in realism and how it would apply to a real life situation (TVTropes version of deconstruction). Derrida's philosophy was too close to Nietzsche and nihilism for my liking, and I do not like or agree with it at all. But that's for another thread or PM.

@Tron it doesn't matter to me either way. All I want is an honest review.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

That's true as far as I recall - but don't let lit jargon interfere with the simple enjoyment of a well told story