Stalter: Bradford to be Maybe a Glorified Game Manager

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
101ESPN’s Anthony Stalter says Rams will “allow Sam Bradford to be maybe a glorified game manager”. Stalter: The Rams are going to run the football, shorten the game, and play good defense. Stalter and Duncan debate Sam Bradford's role this season.

Listen to the Bradford Discussion

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Not a bad thing. A game manager with the ability to make four or five game-changing throws per game would be scary. Imagine if Trent Dilfer had Bradford's arm, how much scarier those already scary Ravens would have been.

Is a glorified game manager worth $18m per year or whatever it is he's being paid? If that's all they want in a QB it could be better investing less in the position and more in say a FB.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is a glorified game manager worth $18m per year or whatever it is he's being paid? If that's all they want in a QB it could be better investing less in the position and more in say a FB.
no, but thats the contract the rams are stuck with due to the nonsensical contract options available when sam bradford was drafted. honestly, are any of the athletes "worth" the millions they are paid ?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

It's a fickle thing to compare QB salaries. I guess the easiest way would be to look at the yearly average...which Sam is getting 13mil average per year. That's less than Romo, Manning, Rivers, and Stafford...but more than Smith, Palmer, Schaub. So, His pay range seems fair to me.

This is where the talent around him comes into play. If we have a solid year on the ground, and make the playoffs...all this money talk goes out the window. People won't bitch about what he's getting paid. I think if we extend him, we have to pay him an average of 16-18 mil per year.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
There is more to being a game manager than just taking snaps and handing the ball off. The most valuable game manager can read the defense and run the right play. You go to the line with 2 runs and 1 pass play and make the play call on the line based on what you see. There is some value in a guy who can read a D - especially when they have the arm to burn you when it's time.

It's a fickle thing to compare QB salaries. I guess the easiest way would be to look at the yearly average...which Sam is getting 13mil average per year. That's less than Romo, Manning, Rivers, and Stafford...but more than Smith, Palmer, Schaub. So, His pay range seems fair to me.

This is where the talent around him comes into play. If we have a solid year on the ground, and make the playoffs...all this money talk goes out the window. People won't bitch about what he's getting paid. I think if we extend him, we have to pay him an average of 16-18 mil per year.

I've got no problem paying Sam the money we are, I've got a problem paying a "glorified game manager" what we are, if the plan really is to run it first, run it second and pass it when needed then he nor no QB is worth that money.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I've got no problem paying Sam the money we are, I've got a problem paying a "glorified game manager" what we are, if the plan really is to run it first, run it second and pass it when needed then he nor no QB is worth that money.

Tell that to Kaepernick, or Wilson. Both play on the most run first offenses in the league. Kaep is making an average of 6 million more per year than Sam. But we all know all too often the full length of those contracts aren't honored.

And I realize that Wilson hasn't been paid yet, and he will have a super bowl win to bring to the bargaining table...but what is Wilson without that run offense? We would absolutely destroy the seacocks without it.

Tell that to Kaepernick, or Wilson. Both play on the most run first offenses in the league. Kaep is making an average of 6 million more per year than Sam. But we all know all too often the full length of those contracts aren't honored.

About two days after signing that contract Harbore said that they intend to throw it more, remains to be seen if they do, but they made movements in that direction.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
About two days after signing that contract Harbore said that they intend to throw it more, remains to be seen if they do, but they made movements in that direction.
Man I hope they do. I'd love to see a '9ers offense with Kaepernick throwing 35-40 times a game.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anything they do to make the quarterback position more successful is a good thing.

It's the hardest position to play, after all.

Philly5

Rookie
Given our draft, we certainly are not going to be throwing the ball all over the place. Run first, very good defense, with a QB that can make big clutch plays sounds like a recipe for success.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Bradford will be the qb we saw against the panthers and much more. So much more.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My God this is getting old....

Sam's TALENT and skill have never been a problem
His decision making hasn't been a problem.
He has never limited our offense....

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Fisher is talking winning games 13-10 so I accept the offense will be conservative. However, pour me a glass of the SB kool aid (for one last year at least). I think he has the talent to win games with his arm when we need it and will prove his doubters wrong. He won't lead the league in yards since that's not going to be the game plan, but if teams think they can make us one-dimensional by focusing on the run, they will pay for it with a healthy SB behind a strong o-line.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

His SALARY from his ROOKIE contract is in the final two years:

Player 2014 2015 2016
Sam Bradford 14,015,000 12,985,000 UFA*** Player option

Yes, he has been paid well, but is finally at the point where it is reasonable to say is SALARY is not among the highest at his position. In fact, his average salary of $13M now ranks him 13th among NFL QBs for 2014.

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/quarterback/limit-25/

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
bwadfowd_zps0e8ff2cc.jpg

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
and seriously who the hell is THIS Ryan Rucco anyways?? Can anybody seriously tell me who he is without google? I could give a %&$^ what he thinks....
Or I'll let my brother from another mother let Ryan Rucco how much we care about what he thinks....

RYAN RUCCO KNOW YOUR ROLE AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!

Last edited: