Spruce ready to bounce back

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.simivalleyacorn.com/news/2017-05-26/Sports/Spruce_ready_to_bounce_back.html

Former Westlake wide receiver looks sharp on first day of OTAs with Rams
By Nate Smith

STAND TALL—Nelson Spruce, a Westlake High grad, walks off the field after practice with the Los Angeles Rams on May 22 at Cal Lutheran. BOBBY CURTIS/Acorn NewspapersNelson Spruce had never suffered an injury playing football in high school or college.

That changed once he suited up for the Los Angeles Rams.

Spruce, an undrafted free agent wide receiver out of Westlake High, posted six receptions for 51 yards and one touchdown in a memorable preseason debut against the Dallas Cowboys last year. He got hurt during the game, however.

The setback came at an inopportune moment for Spruce, a rookie at the time.

“It was a big blow,” he said.

Preseason games provide the best opportunities for unproven players—especially undrafted free agents—to showcase their talents.

Despite the untimely injury, the Rams saw enough to keep the receiver on board. Spruce missed the remaining three preseason games last year, but he made the final 53-man roster.

The injury bug, however, reared its ugly head again. While recovering from a sprained knee, he suffered a calf injury. The Rams shut him down for the rest of the season, placing him on injured reserve in November.

“It was tough, mentally, just staying into it,” Spruce said. “The other guys on IR, we formed a close group, and that helped us get through our different injuries.”

The 2016 season was not kind to Spruce, but last year is in the rearview mirror.

He feels better than ever.

“Everything feels fine. I feel 100 percent, no issues,” Spruce said. “I haven’t felt like that in a year almost.”

Spruce stood out on a field of professional athletes during Rams’ organized team activities on May 22 at Cal Lutheran.

He was flying all over the field, running crisp routes and snaring every spiral tossed in his direction.

Spruce is no stranger to having the ball nestled securely in his hands.

During his time at the University of Colorado Boulder, Spruce set a record for most career receptions in the Pac-12 Conference with 294 catches.

Cooper Kupp, a Rams’ rookie wide receiver out of Eastern Washington, spoke highly of Spruce.

“He’s a great guy, a great competitor,” Kupp said. “I’m really excited to be on the same team as him.”

Getting to practice is never an issue for Spruce.

“It’s almost surreal just because it feels like I’m back in high school again,” Spruce said. “I’m still living at my parents’ place. I’ll wake up and drive over here to the facilities. It’s kind of like a high school routine almost. It’s a unique experience.”

Spruce enjoys playing close to home, but he wants to earn the fans’ respect. After battling his way back from injuries, he’s motivated to play well in the fall.

“It’s been humbling for me,” Spruce said. “The past few years at high school or in Colorado, I’m used to coming off a big season production-wise and actually playing. This is the first season that I didn’t really touch the field because of an injury.

“At first it was tough, but it lit a fire in me a little bit.”

Spruce is hoping Rams’ quarterback Jared Goff can help keep the flame burning.

Goff, who played at California, met Spruce when both toiled in the Pac-12. They had a quality relationship before becoming teammates with the Rams.

“We are friends,” Spruce said. “Off the field we do a lot of stuff together.”

The Rams will hope the friendship off the field will translate into success on the field.

Goff, a second-year pro, is now the unquestioned starter.

The QB is constantly evaluating his game while trying to find ways to improve.

“I’m growing as a person, as a player and as a leader,” Goff said. “Everything is always evolving.”

For Spruce, the new season presents a new opportunity. He will have to prove himself all over again with a new coaching staff and greater expectations.

He’s not afraid of the challenge.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Interesting camp battle coming up at WR. It's going to be interesting to see who wins these battles.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We might have a surprisingly good wr room. Spruce and Kupp can be amazing together

Zero

Pro Bowler
He was flying all over the field, running crisp routes and snaring every spiral tossed in his direction.

A lot of people want to write this guy off, after what we acquired in the Draft.

I ain't one of them.
He has the talent to play in this league.
And apparently he is still doing the things that made many of us Fans.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Outside of Woods and Austin it's wide open.
Four spots and lots of competition.
Thomas, Cooper, Marquez, Spruce and all the rookies.....
Tough make when you consider both drafted rookies are probably making the squad.
Marquez stands to be the odd guy out of the guys who actually got playing time last year.
Spruce has an uphill battle.
Woods, Austin, Kupp, Reynolds, Thomas, Cooper, Spruce......
One too many.
It may come down yo staying healthy for that last spot.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.simivalleyacorn.com/news/2017-05-26/Sports/Spruce_ready_to_bounce_back.html

Former Westlake wide receiver looks sharp on first day of OTAs with Rams
By Nate Smith
Special to the Acorn
STAND TALL—Nelson Spruce, a Westlake High grad, walks off the field after practice with the Los Angeles Rams on May 22 at Cal Lutheran. BOBBY CURTIS/Acorn NewspapersNelson Spruce had never suffered an injury playing football in high school or college.

That changed once he suited up for the Los Angeles Rams.

Spruce, an undrafted free agent wide receiver out of Westlake High, posted six receptions for 51 yards and one touchdown in a memorable preseason debut against the Dallas Cowboys last year. He got hurt during the game, however.

The setback came at an inopportune moment for Spruce, a rookie at the time.

“It was a big blow,” he said.

Preseason games provide the best opportunities for unproven players—especially undrafted free agents—to showcase their talents.

Despite the untimely injury, the Rams saw enough to keep the receiver on board. Spruce missed the remaining three preseason games last year, but he made the final 53-man roster.

The injury bug, however, reared its ugly head again. While recovering from a sprained knee, he suffered a calf injury. The Rams shut him down for the rest of the season, placing him on injured reserve in November.

“It was tough, mentally, just staying into it,” Spruce said. “The other guys on IR, we formed a close group, and that helped us get through our different injuries.”

The 2016 season was not kind to Spruce, but last year is in the rearview mirror.

He feels better than ever.

“Everything feels fine. I feel 100 percent, no issues,” Spruce said. “I haven’t felt like that in a year almost.”

Spruce stood out on a field of professional athletes during Rams’ organized team activities on May 22 at Cal Lutheran.

Spruce is no stranger to having the ball nestled securely in his hands.

During his time at the University of Colorado Boulder, Spruce set a record for most career receptions in the Pac-12 Conference with 294 catches.

Cooper Kupp, a Rams’ rookie wide receiver out of Eastern Washington, spoke highly of Spruce.

“He’s a great guy, a great competitor,” Kupp said. “I’m really excited to be on the same team as him.”

Getting to practice is never an issue for Spruce.

“It’s almost surreal just because it feels like I’m back in high school again,” Spruce said. “I’m still living at my parents’ place. I’ll wake up and drive over here to the facilities. It’s kind of like a high school routine almost. It’s a unique experience.”

Spruce enjoys playing close to home, but he wants to earn the fans’ respect. After battling his way back from injuries, he’s motivated to play well in the fall.

“It’s been humbling for me,” Spruce said. “The past few years at high school or in Colorado, I’m used to coming off a big season production-wise and actually playing. This is the first season that I didn’t really touch the field because of an injury.

“At first it was tough, but it lit a fire in me a little bit.”

Spruce is hoping Rams’ quarterback Jared Goff can help keep the flame burning.

Goff, who played at California, met Spruce when both toiled in the Pac-12. They had a quality relationship before becoming teammates with the Rams.

“We are friends,” Spruce said. “Off the field we do a lot of stuff together.”

The Rams will hope the friendship off the field will translate into success on the field.

Goff, a second-year pro, is now the unquestioned starter.

The QB is constantly evaluating his game while trying to find ways to improve.

“I’m growing as a person, as a player and as a leader,” Goff said. “Everything is always evolving.”

For Spruce, the new season presents a new opportunity. He will have to prove himself all over again with a new coaching staff and greater expectations.

He’s not afraid of the challenge.
I have and have had high hopes for S-P-R-U-U-C-E! My advise to him ...

living-in-the-past.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
A lot of people want to write this guy off, after what we acquired in the Draft.

I ain't one of them.
He has the talent to play in this league.
And apparently he is still doing the things that made many of us Fans.
I agree.
Four spots are spoken for.
Some of the interesting camp battles are for depth spots.
Cooper, Spruce, Thomas at WR.
How many TEs are kept?
The O line depth battles will be interesting.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I like the idea of having Kupp, Spruce, and Woods on the field for third downs...KNOWING one will shake loose and NOT DROP THE DAMN BALL! Great route running and reliable hands are the hallmark of effective passing attacks.

With that said, teams like the Pats and Saints succeed without true #1 receivers but especially excel if there's a true outside threat (Moss, Cooks) and a dominant TE (Gronk, Graham). IMO, we are set up for moderate success as Goff needs seasoning in the system, the TE corps is green as grass, and the outside threats are unproven at best.

Looking at the talent, I'd say we have the building blocks necessary to create an upper level offense. But to expect top 10 performance THIS YEAR is terribly unrealistic though that sentiment grows every offseason until the real games begin.

Woods, Kupp, Austin, Thomas, Spruce, Reynolds. Since somebody will likely get hurt, Cooper will be on the roster though he's #7 on my list.

jap

Legend
Outside of Woods and Austin it's wide open.
Four spots and lots of competition.
Thomas, Cooper, Marquez, Spruce and all the rookies.....
Tough make when you consider both drafted rookies are probably making the squad.
Marquez stands to be the odd guy out of the guys who actually got playing time last year.
Spruce has an uphill battle.
Woods, Austin, Kupp, Reynolds, Thomas, Cooper, Spruce......
One too many.
It may come down yo staying healthy for that last spot.

Maybe not. The wildcard is Tavon who the coaches probably view as a WR/RB/PR. In other words, his game overlaps both the WR an RB groups. Since McVay seems to like to air it out, he may keep seven WRs, with Austin straddling both the WR and RB groups. Woods and Austin are givens. However, with 2nd year fly guys Cooper, Spruce & Thomas, and rookies Kupp & Reynolds, anyone left on the practice squad would be snapped up immediately by scavenging NFL squads. I do not consider Marquez to be up to the caliber of the fore mentioned fly guys, but the coaches have the only say that matters.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked what I saw from Spruce last year in the little time he was on the field. New guys that have not let us down will always have greater hope attached to them because of the unknown. Spruce was injured..Higbee dropped the ball..Thomas? I don't remember much from him. Sure, it was Fisher's offense and Oline and maybe it's a little unfair to attach all of the blame to the players, but they deserve some. The new guys have none of that and all of the highlight college tape that makes us dream of what could be...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would not surprise me to see Tavon traded. The structure of his deal means teams can get out from under it in a year, or if he proves he can play well in an offense that fits him the team will have him under contract. I do think there would be some interest even if the return wouldn't be great. IMO he just does not fit with a WCO approach that prioritizes exact routes and run after catch. And now that he's injured they still don't know to what extent he might be able to step it up, other than looking at his route running.

If not, though, then the Rams are going to cut a guy who will get picked up by other teams. It's gonna be real tight:

Locks to make roster
Austin
Woods
Kupp (he's a lock, bank it)

Likely to make roster
Thomas
Reynolds
Cooper

Bubble players
Spruce
Marquez
North
McRoberts

IMO without Tavon being moved, and assuming 6 will be the number kept, it comes down to whether Spruce can jump one of the three in the likely category. And of those guys the one he's in direct competition with is Cooper, so I'd say it's Spruce vs Cooper for the last spot. Both are return types for teams, too, so I think it will come down to which of them impresses most in the slot, plain and simple.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Naw @DaveFan'51

I saw a OTA picture of Spruuuuce...ripped as hell...Should be and interesting camp....and competition for the targets.....I wanna see who gets more time in pre-season, Spruuuuce, Cooper, Kupp, or North....yeah I said North...I think Woods and Thomas are locks for playing time....ooops, I forgot Austin too. I need to see that guy from Texas A&M a lil more....same as his lil slot buddy too...the guy from Hawaii

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I just don't think Tavon is an absolute lock to make the 53, fellas.

Please, just hear me out for just a minute.

For one thing, McVay strikes me as a HC that will keep the best 6 WR's. And Tavon is a flawed WR, at least in his first 4 seasons. Could be a big problem for Tavon.

If Tavon is outplayed in camp and PS games, I think that Snead and McVay have the stones to trade Tavon away. Probably for a 5th or so, and might have to agree to eat half of Tavon's '17 salary to sweeten the deal for the acquiring team. Tough, but doable if they're committed to keeping the best six.

Might sound crazy to some, at first. But think about it.

Here's my locks:

Woods
Kupp
Reynolds

All invested in by McVay this year. We KNOW that these guys were wanted. They are the only absolute locks to stick, imo.

After that, I have everybody else on one huge bubble.

These guys are highly likely to make the final 6, in no particular order, btw:

Cooper
Austin
Thomas
Spruce

That's 3 WR's trying to beat out Tavon (as a WR), mind you. Not exactly the Impossible Dream, you know?

And, frankly, others might take a big step up under the guidance of this new coaching staff, too.

Tavon's value as a PR and RB are overrated, tbh. So I think he makes the team as a WR or he just might not make the team at all.

And guess what? We're already hearing some very nice commentary about how well Spruce and Thomas have been looking in OTA's.

Sooooo...

Tavon's sacred cow protection under Fisher is gone. He must sink or swim on the merits of his play in camp for the first time in his career. Can he do that? We'll see.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I just don't think Tavon is an absolute lock to make the 53, fellas.

Please, just hear me out for just a minute.

For one thing, McVay strikes me as a HC that will keep the best 6 WR's. And Tavon is a flawed WR, at least in his first 4 seasons. Could be a big problem for Tavon.

If Tavon is outplayed in camp and PS games, I think that Snead and McVay have the stones to trade Tavon away. Probably for a 5th or so, and might have to agree to eat half of Tavon's '17 salary to sweeten the deal for the acquiring team. Tough, but doable if they're committed to keeping the best six.

Might sound crazy to some, at first. But think about it.

Here's my locks:

Woods
Kupp
Reynolds

All invested in by McVay this year. We KNOW that these guys were wanted. They are the only absolute locks to stick, imo.

After that, I have everybody else on one huge bubble.

These guys are highly likely to make the final 6, in no particular order, btw:

Cooper
Austin
Thomas
Spruce

That's 3 WR's trying to beat out Tavon (as a WR), mind you. Not exactly the Impossible Dream, you know?

And, frankly, others might take a big step up under the guidance of this new coaching staff, too.

Tavon's value as a PR and RB are overrated, tbh. So I think he makes the team as a WR or he just might not make the team at all.

And guess what? We're already hearing some very nice commentary about how well Spruce and Thomas have been looking in OTA's.

Sooooo...

Tavon's sacred cow protection under Fisher is gone. He must sink or swim on the merits of his play in camp for the first time in his career. Can he do that? We'll see.

doubt they would be able to find a trade partner before the season. I think ideally they want him to have a good year, but nothing that isnt replaceable, and try and trade him after the season when his value is higher and he has little to no guaranteed money left