SpaceX Launch of Falcon Heavy Set for Today (maybe?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haven’t seen a video yet but it was a successful launch.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I watched it go up from my office. I'm only about 40 miles from the Cape. Clear skies, so I could see it through the whole burn.

That big beast had one hell of a flame coming out. It looked to be at least 3 times the size of the flame that shot out of the shuttles.

Very cool.

People had already packed the house over at the Cape early this morning to watch it in person. Before noon they were telling everyone not to come out cause there was no more room.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah... seemed to be a flawless launch and booster return (which, BTW, is very cool!)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched it go up from my office. I'm only about 40 miles from the Cape. Clear skies, so I could see it through the whole burn.

That big beast had one hell of a flame coming out. It looked to be at least 3 times the size of the flame that shot out of the shuttles.

Very cool.

People had already packed the house over at the Cape early this morning to watch it in person. Before noon they were telling everyone not to come out cause there was no more room.
There are two things in my life that I will always remember:
- My first sight of the Grand Canyon (it was around 1986)
- Seeing the Space Shuttle launch

My father was renting a house in Boca Raton in 1983. While we were there, one of the shuttles was scheduled to launch and my brother-in-law and I decided we wanted to see it.
The whole time driving up there (about 2.5 hours), the launch was in jeopardy (high level wind shear).
But we pressed on... forget exactly where we ended up stopping (maybe Cocoa Beach?) but we were, I'd guess, 5 miles away - across a small lake - from the launch pad.

When that thing took off, we could feel the ground shake like an earthquake... it was simply awe inspiring.

It was STS-7 (1983) and Sally Ride's first flight.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
There are two things in my life that I will always remember:
- My first sight of the Grand Canyon (it was around 1986)
- Seeing the Space Shuttle launch

My father was renting a house in Boca Raton in 1983. While we were there, one of the shuttles was scheduled to launch and my brother-in-law and I decided we wanted to see it.
The whole time driving up there (about 2.5 hours), the launch was in jeopardy (high level wind shear).
But we pressed on... forget exactly where we ended up stopping (maybe Cocoa Beach?) but we were, I'd guess, 5 miles away - across a small lake - from the launch pad.

When that thing took off, we could feel the ground shake like an earthquake... it was simply awe inspiring.

It was STS-7 (1983) and Sally Ride's first flight.

Cocoa Beach is pretty much the same thing as Cape Canaveral. That's probably where you were for sure.

I've seen a whole bunch of shuttle launches. Many just by stepping outside. Going out to the Cape and watching them was always so much more impressive though. Our favorites were the night launches. It turns the night into day... we watched 2 of those from our boat offshore... so awesome.

One of my 1st memories was being over at the Cape for one of the manned moon launches. Guess you can say it was literally burned into my memory.

This launch today was really impressive... even from 40 miles out.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Embedded in the article is a link to a YouTube of all the earlier SpaceX fails... actually, pretty funny.

Not particularly that funny when the company you work for insures the fucking thing and your bonus goes up in smoke!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Embedded in the article is a link to a YouTube of all the earlier SpaceX fails... actually, pretty funny.

Not particularly that funny when the company you work for insures the freaking thing and your bonus goes up in smoke!
Who do you work for? Lloyds?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Amazing launch and an incredible double landing of the rocket boosters.

SpaceX successfully launches the world's most powerful rocket
b8a23750-94e1-11e6-86b6-b35ffeea45c2_finance.jpg
Rob Pegoraro 9 hours ago

SpaceX Launches Falcon Heavy Rocket

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER — Earth has one less sports car.

SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket lifted off at 3:45 p.m., inaugurating itself as the most powerful launch vehicle in service and sending founder Elon Musk’s Tesla (TSLA) Roadster towards a one-way ride out of Earth orbit.

The 230-foot-tall rocket launched at Launch Complex 39A here after a series of delays caused by high winds aloft. As the countdown neared zero and its 27 first-stage engines lit in sequence, clouds of smoke shot out from one side of the pad as the Falcon Heavy and its triple first-stage boosters first eased off the pad and then sprinted into the skies, trailing a blinding jet of fire.

568dccc50315ae8974f53e6119463800

SpaceX successfully launched the world’s most powerful rocket on Tuesday. (image: Rob Pegoraro)
Seconds later, the sound of 5 million pounds of thrust arrived–an avalanche of noise that raced across the water in front of the press site and rushed over journalists as a crackling thunder.

675bf5efab1906eaea1925cf51577ea7

A shot of the Falcon Heavy prior to liftoff. (image: Rob Pegoraro)
Some seven minutes later, the Falcon Heavy’s two outer first-stage boosters–both flown before in 2016 as Falcon 9 first stages–reappeared in the skies as two bright dots as they performed a powered descent to land on pads constructed at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Their sonic booms–thunderclaps that sounded like fireworks going off far too close for safety–punched through the air about a minute later.

The Falcon Heavy’s inner booster was intended to fly itself to a touchdown on the autonomous drone ship Of Course I Still Love You that hosted SpaceX’s first successful first-stage landing. But the company had not announced the fate of that stage by half an hour after launch.

In its successful flight to orbit, the Falcon Heavy vindicated the not-quite-confident confidence of Musk. At a teleconference Monday afternoon, he had described himself as at ease but then fretted about such possibilities as the three boosters coming apart in flight or the entire stack not surviving “max-Q,” peak aerodynamic pressure.

8ac96e1d9cad3f75cec3aaa346eefa4a

SpaceX lands two of the three Falcon 9 boosters attached to the Falcon Heavy rocket at Cape Canaveral.
Just in case, the commercial space transportation license issued by the Federal Aviation Administration last week required SpaceX to carry $294 million in liability and property insurance.

The successful launch also quieted concerns among some space observers over the Falcon Heavy’s complexity–nine Merlin engines in each of its three first-stage boosters–who recalled the Soviet Union’s N1 ill-fated moon rocket.

That massive vehicle, with a full 30 engines in its first stage, blew up on all four of its launches between 1969 and 1972. The second such explosion in July 1969 began less than a second after liftoff and leveled the pad at Baikonur Cosmodrome.

This launch matters for more than bragging rights. With a successful launch of the privately-built Falcon Heavy, SpaceX has now broken a governmental monopoly on orbital flight on every level except those involving human passengers.

And SpaceX aims to pass that line late this year or early next year, when it launches a Falcon 9 with a crewed Dragon capsule on top. That should lead to a series of flights under a NASA contract to transport astronauts to and from the International Space Station so it can stop relying on Russian Soyuz rockets and capsules.

But SpaceX isn’t alone in that contest or even in the race to field the most powerful rockets on Earth. Boeing (BA) also has a NASA contract for crew transport to the ISS–it’s rented one of the buildings here used to refurbish space shuttles to build its CST-100 Starliner capsule.

And anybody who drove up to KSC from due south could not have missed the giant Blue Origin rocket factory now open just west of the space center.

The space-launch firm founded by Amazon (AMZN) CEO Jeff Bezos will use that facility to construct its New Glenn rocket–a launch vehicle with a reusable first stage and the ability to lift almost 50 tons to low Earth orbit and 14 tons to geosynchronous orbit. A three-stage version will be able to loft considerably more payload.

In this new space race, profits and losses are on the line as well as national pride.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/spacex-launch-worlds-powerful-rocket-163547664.html

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another example of private industry surpassing the government in these endeavors. I read SpaceX will cost about $90 million a mission. The average shuttle mission was $450 million approximately. And the only other group close to doing what he did today estimates it'll be about a billion a launch.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Watching the two side boosters land side by side was just utterly freakin' spectacular. That kind of stuff used to be the stuff of science fiction.

Used to be

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching the two side boosters land side by side was just utterly freakin' spectacular. That kind of stuff used to be the stuff of science fiction.

Used to be
It was absolutely amazing to watch. I was watching it live and didn't realize that the boosters were going to land. I assumed that they would land in the ocean with some flotation device, and the drone ship would pick them up. The moment I realized what was going on, I was stunned. Then when they switched to the view of the landing pads, and the 2 boosters gently landed simultaneously, in the centers of the landing pads, I was dumbfounded. What a great moment.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
he just has to figure out a way to make his ideas profitable.
While SpaceX is not a public company, Tesla (the car manufacturer) is.

And it was yet another bad quarter for the firm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greats...otix&partner=yahootix&yptr=yahoo#1f59ced1fec4
While losses were not as steep as analysts expected, gross margins are at an all-time low. And cash burn remains high.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/te...18120424?mod=yahoobarrons&ru=yahoo&yptr=yahoo
And, there are still lots of concern surrounding the Model 3 production targets and whether they can be met.
This is the car that is supposed to bring profitability to the automaker.

The stock dropped last week from a high of $345.50 to $296.13. It closed today at $315.73. 52 week high was $389.61.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-inc-just-lost-top-190500284.html
And... they lost another key executive last week:
As the article shows, they've lost quite a few key execs in the past year:
* CFO
* Head of Business Development
* Autopilot Chief Engineer
... and others.

1st and 2nd quarters of this year are critical to this company.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Musk is definitely a pioneer... .he just has to figure out a way to make his ideas profitable.

I disagree, he just has to keep coming up with ideas. If other people end up making them profitable after he pioneers something as fantastic as this I'm OK if none of his companies ever turn a profit.

Thought and innovation are his calling cards, not profits and cash. He is a brilliant dude coming up with brilliant ideas and I hope he keeps doing it.

He's got plenty of cheddar I'm not worried about him going hungry LOL.