So How MANY Prescription Glasses Do You Own?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For all of us "4 Eye " folks, I am sure that most of us think of the process of getting new eyeglasses as being a chore and not very enjoyable. But since I have not been able to afford new glasses due to having no insurance for years. Well, I finally got excellent insurance with vision benefits and I have been like a kid waiting for Santa Claus on Christmas Eve as a kid. I have needed a new prescription for at least three years. I researched all the different bells and whistles offered: Progressives, UV-400, Anti-Reflective Premium, Photochromatic Grays, and frames brands/shapes. It was while doing researching these options that I realized people bought multiple glasses with the same prescription. WTH?

This made me wonder if I was the only guy that normally bought one pair of glasses. I am not a fancy guy like @Merlin with several kinds of wildly colored frames with blue lenses... But I can't judge Merlin too harshly because I am getting a second pair of no frill bifocals with the lines since they came from a secondary insurance benefit with Aetna. I went from having no health insurance for most of 15 years as an old guy to having two insurance companies trying to give me shyte Pretty wild, eh?

Some have regular glasses, some have reading glasses and some have computer glasses. SOME are fashion dudes with multiple shapes and colors of frames and lenses for different occasions. Fess up. @CGI_Ram !!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Guessing you picked a pair that make you look like Elton John. :laugh3:

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Btw I buy the cheap ones at Walmart, the readers. I'm on the third iteration of those things, as soon as I started wearing them my vision got worse. Now I can't see shit.

Before I retired the Navy set me up with this fancy pair that had reading cut on the bottom, far vision at the top and middle was things about ten feet or something. So I put them on, walked outside and it felt like I couldn't sense the ground, it was a really weird sensation. Called the doc and they were like "oh you'll get used to them" so I threw the fuckers in the trash.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have bi-focals. Usually I buy one pair of glasses at Wal-mart when my prescription changes. The only extras I get are the no line bi-focals.

However in the last few years I have developed a dry eye problem. Wrap around glasses like some sun glasses help to keep the wind off my eyes. Since I watch my two kids play sports and athletic fields always seem to be windy around here, I got two pair of prescription sunglasses without the Bi-focal lens. One pair has amber tinted lenses and the other pair is clear for cloudy days. They cost $98 each and they really help with my dry eye syndrome.

Psycho_X

Legend
I've had shit site since third grade and it's only gotten worse. So when I get glasses they are usually around $1000 but luckily insurance pays for almost all of it so I try and get a new pair every year that I can. Since my prescription is ridiculous I get the best high index lenses I can get which takes what would be thick, heavy lenses and makes them skinny and light. That's the most expensive part. But also get the anti reflect, anti scratch, shading lenses, etc. Usually get them with magnetic middle rung that has a sun glass piece that attaches seamlessly on them for driving. So yeah, gets ridiculous. And since I'm basically blind without them I have spares in cars, at work, around the house, etc.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like having a 2nd pair as backup, but for me that is usually my old glasses.

Because I wear glasses all the time, I buy a quality pair. I don’t want to be fighting them, keeping them in place and straight.

I currently wear black plastic Ray Ban’s. This is my second pair and they are bulletproof.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like having a 2nd pair as backup, but for me that is usually my old glasses.

Because I wear glasses all the time, I buy a quality pair. I don’t want to be fighting them, keeping them in place and straight.

I currently wear black plastic Ray Ban’s. This is my second pair and they are bulletproof.
Risky Business bastid!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I have two prescription sunglasses. If any of you have a Flexible Spending Account, sunglasses qualify as long as they have a prescription and you want to spend your money there.

I see 20/30 currently so they just add 0.5 to the prescription.

Wasn't always the case as I opted for PRK once I got tired of contacts and glasses. Haven't regretted the surgery since the first two days after the procedure.

nighttrain

Legend
my vision was 800+/20 until 4 years ago, when i developed cataracts in both eyes. I had to have eye surgery on both eyes, prosthetic lenses, now 20/40 vision, got two pair, shaders and clear for overcast days. God bless modern medicine!
train

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
train's spectacles.....

vA4sb8D.jpg

@nighttrain

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Funny you should ask....
I had one eye lazered so that it was close up - and the other remained focused on distance. The brain actually compensates quite will - and fifteen years ago, that worked good - no glasses particularly needed - except the diverse prescription lenses for driving (especially at night). Those prescription glasses must be the bigggest rip-off known to man...

Like Nighttrain, I had both eyes operated for cataracts - and am now vert close to 20/20, both eyes. I do need glasses for very small text, so I have several pairs of very weak readers spread around the house... but the real upside is, I can have driving glasses and other sunglasses now, for mere pennies, compared to the old prescription route.....

Ain't technology wonderful!

Tano

Legend
In 1998 I had Lasik done and I have been okay since

However, one eye is getting progressively worse and I think I will need glasses eventually to compensate.

I do have reading glasses right now that I buy cheap at the dollar store

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In 1998 I had Lasik done and I have been okay since

However, one eye is getting progressively worse and I think I will need glasses eventually to compensate.

I do have reading glasses right now that I buy cheap at the dollar store
Time for Tri-focals!