Sleeper NFL Draft prospects at each position you need to watch this season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Sleeper NFL Draft prospects at each position you need to watch this season

227364_87086f9d98214b7ab7c74e33f84b893e~mv2_d_3000_1921_s_2.webp

We are shifting gears a little bit now and as previously mentioned Downtown Rams will be covering the NFL Draft all season long as well as fantasy football on top of the obvious Los Angeles Rams. In this piece, Jake brings you his sleeper draft prospects you may or may not already know, but you need to make sure you watch during the college football season this year.

Quarterback: Luke Falk, Washington State
227364_80504053b8604fcd8b7b8fb71d3d4497~mv2.jpg

upload_2017-8-24_0-41-16.gif

First off, you may have already heard of this kid, but believe it or not, he would be considered a sleeper. He's my number two overall QB prospect going into this season only behind Sam Darnold, but I may only know one other person that shares the opinion with me. If you didn't know before Falk the Washington State Cougars have had a record of 56-82 dating back to 2004. With Falk though, the Cougars have been competitive with a 21-18 record and a preseason top 25 ranking. Clearly, this program had been disastrous for awhile until number four came to town and his 10,888 yards passing plus his 89 touchdowns and only 26 interceptions in just three years. If that doesn't get you excited for this guy perhaps his comeback story of being a walk-on and working hard enough to be a starter might.

Falk still has this upcoming season which will be his last year. At 6-foot-4, 223 pounds he has the size to easily see over the line and make impressive plays on the field. Falk is in my opinion outstanding with his accuracy. He doesn't just give his receiver a chance to make a play, no he makes sure the ball is going only where the receiver can get it. What often gets overlooked though besides Falk's arm strength which is, in all honesty, NFL-ready, is his mobility. Sure, Falk may not run some crazy 40-time at the combine, but one thing I love his mobility inside the pocket. This kid will orchestrate himself to bounce around all over the pocket and roll outside as long as it can be used to help extend a play.

Falk threw 38 touchdowns in back-to-back seasons, but it's time to get excited. No one talks about him in the Heisman race, but Falk could be in for a serious season. So while Darnold, Rosen and Allen are the names talked about, go be the one to bring up Falk in a discussion. Listen to how many people say "who?" because this kid is going to be the real deal and is going to prove the doubters wrong.

Running back: L.J. Scott, Michigan State
227364_aabc5357f56149fc9311fa91ce482504~mv2.jpg

Michigan State has groomed running backs along the lines of Le'Veon Bell and Jeremy Langford to name a couple recent ones. Now, it's time for the country to be welcomed (if you haven't already) to their next back L.J. Scott. The 6-foot-1, 231 pound back is going into his junior season with a career total of 330 carries for 1,693 and 17 touchdowns. It wasn't what he was expecting last season as the Spartans had a rough time every getting off the ground. They appeared stuck in neutral at times, but Scott continued to truck along as the Mack truck he is and push out an almost 1,000-yard season in his sophomore year.

Now, Scott could seriously be eyeing the NFL draft after this upcoming season and there is no reason to see why he wouldn't. Scott is likely a sleeper based on the fact all we hear are the names, Guice and Barkley. However, Scott runs with a hammer mentality, patience, and athleticism to make us ponder for a second whether or not we could be looking at the next Le'Veon Bell. Crazy I know, but the patience, the power, and the athleticism make him look like a possible future Bell.

If Scott wasn't already on your list of players to watch this season, he definitely should be now.

Wide receiver: Dante Pettis, Washington
227364_b35a3d80d93e4d6693edc58cb023c786~mv2.jpeg

John Ross has left the University of Washington so that means a likely bigger role for Dante Pettis. Pettis is the son of Gary Pettis who played professional baseball and the brother of former Rams WR Austin Pettis. Dante is a 6-foot-1, 195-pound receiver that is coached by the same coach that his brother Austin had, Chris Petersen. Dante is set to become the number one receiver for young star QB Jake Browning as the Washington Huskies venture for a back-to-back college football playoff appearance.

What Pettis seems to bring to the table is versatility in his usage whether he's a big play go route type of guy, quick slant over the middle, bubble screen or even an end zone back shoulder fade he does it all. Pettis in a sense reminds me a bit of new Rams WR Josh Reynolds. Despite the fact Reynolds is bigger though, I do feel as though Pettis brings more to the table and isn't just going to be a red zone guy. We will see where the NFL scouts have him on the board, but for now, Pettis is definitely a player to watch this season.

Tight end: Mike Gesicki, Penn State
227364_b476df21eccc4c358959a44807554437~mv2.jpg

Mike Gesicki really made his presence known for me during the extraordinary Rose Bowl game versus USC when he showed off his size (6-foot-6, 252 pounds), speed and overall athleticism in a big way. Gesicki leads the Big 10 among returning tight ends in yards per route run according to Pro Football Focus. With receiver Chris Godwin now in the NFL, Gesicki could have an extended role.

It's uncertain if Gesicki will ever learn how to block at an above average clip because if he does he's likely the top tight end in this class. He made the smart decision to pass on jumping head first into the 2017 draft. He clearly could use another year to refine his skills as a receiver and acquire skills as a blocker. Regardless, Gesicki is going to be a fun watch for college football fans and definitely one to hone in on besides the obvious star at Penn State, Saquan Barkley.

Offensive lineman: Tyrell Crosby, Oregon
227364_44b15aa23ba740a0a65cae91d51c053a~mv2.jpg

Perhaps this time last year you wouldn't be calling a possible first round tackle a sleeper, but ever since the former true freshman went down with a foot injury he's been virtually non-existent on draft boards and lists. His name is Tyrell Crosby and he's looking to show his team he can be a leader and show the NFL the same too moving forward.

Crosby has the skill and size to succeed at the next level. The key with Crosby is proving he's not an injury concern and he can be a model of consistency. Next time you turn on Royce Freeman tape or just the Oregon game to watch Freeman. Make sure you give No.73 a look. It seems stupid to buy into a guy coming off a season ending injury, but I believe Crosby could be a really good tackle moving forward.

Interior lineman: Maurice Hurst, Michigan
227364_05f3cdd20b804ff7bd6c212aeb268835~mv2.jpg

Michigan football is littered with talent every year it seems. Last year we saw Taco Charlton, Ryan Glasgow and Chris Wormley all have production for the Wolverines and move onto the NFL. Now, we have Rashan Gary who was a true freshman last year and someone who is ready to become an absolute star in college football. However, there is a trend here and for the most part, it happens everywhere. What is that you ask? Well, when you have too much talent on your roster players are often times overlooked and forgotten. That may have been the case with Maurice Hurst on the defensive line. All of that talent made No.73 hidden and will likely continue with the continued emergence of the star in the making, Rashan Gary.

Maurice Hurst is a very good football player and is the perfect sleeper prospect to get behind and start rooting for. Hurst is a 22-year old senior set to finally get his chance to really shine. Sure, Gary will get the majority of the publicity, but Hurst and his quick-footed and explosive nature will likely get his fair share of the wealth. The problem overall with Hurst is that many scouts are likely going to overlook him because of his small "undersized" defensive tackle stature. At 6-foot-2, 282 pounds Hurst is going to get overlooked. Yes, teams are still overlooking shorter players and have not yet learned their lesson with Aaron Donald and Russell Wilson.

Hurst is extremely intelligent with his maneuvers on the football field and it jumps out at you on tape. He makes sure to handle double teams the right way by turning his back to them since that's what he dealt with a lot last year. In the same instance, Hurst encourages double teams to give his teammates one-on-one opportunities while he does all of the dirty work. Hurst because of this shows off ownership, leadership, and toughness on top of the money other traits he possesses. So next time you turn on the Michigan Wolverines game key in on number 73.

EDGE rusher: Dorance Armstrong Jr., Kansas
227364_d1d925db477e41c486d0bfe2b8b0152e~mv2.jpg

Before I get into why he's still my sleeper I need to address the elephant in the room. Yes, Dorance Armstrong is finally getting recognition and with that the recognition, he deserves. But, he's still the first sleeper I had long before this new year. I have seen plenty of Kansas games to know they may have a hard time winning football games, but their coach David Beaty has them on the right track recruiting wise. Armstrong is the cream of the crop, a likely first round pick and yet the CBS Sports' of the world are still sleeping on him. Matt Miller of Bleacher Report might have been the first to agree with me on Armstrong being a top edge rusher.

Going into this season Armstrong is a junior ready to break out more than ever. At the size of 6-foot-4, 246 pounds Armstrong might need to put on some more weight for the NFL, but make no mistake he's going places. This might be the last year he's playing for Kansas over an NFL team, but Armstrong is going to lay it all on the line. His impressive blend of speed, quickness, and strength is set to terrorize the big 12 conference after 10 sacks in his sophomore year. Armstrong might not be from Texas A&M, but his coach is and he could very well be the next Myles Garrett.

Linebacker: Micah Kiser, Virginia
227364_87bbca55d7d548369459b0e49629f6c8~mv2.jpg

He's not a top notch athlete by any means, but Micah Kiser is the exact guy you want in the middle of your football team's defense. The senior stands at 6-foot-2, 240 pounds and is considered another tackling machine. He's a student of the game and you can see the passion and intelligence right away when you turn on the tape. He is a stout run stuffer who shows some serious physicality.

Kiser is one of those players who isn't the fastest, strongest, biggest name or the most impressive on the field, but it's the little things he does that make such a huge difference. This player is instinctive and is able to dissect what is going on. Again, Kiser isn't the greatest linebacker in the world and still struggles a bit in pass coverage, but overall he's fun to watch and is a player that will likely be pushing towards a day two pick in the NFL draft.

Cornerback: Kareem Orr, Chattanooga
227364_02b8296a1e6b46778be762050729a24f~mv2_d_2400_1600_s_2.jpg

Yes, I know the cornerback is wearing a Sun Devils jersey and it says Chattanooga up top. Unfortunately, I am not crazy and Kareem Orr has transferred to Chattanooga for personal reasons and to mainly come back to his home state of Tennessee. You may not want to turn on ESPN3 and watch Chattanooga, but I recommend giving them a watch since Orr is the type of talent that is worth even tuning into a game of theirs.

The game breaking explosive talent is a little shorter than the majority of the top corners at 5-foot-11, 195 pounds. He offers serious speed and the hands to pick off passes and take anyone of them to the house. Orr is a real dynamic player that the Sun Devils fans will miss instantly.

Safety: Cole Reyes, North Dakota
227364_ad1d0d8e9b6d4805b44cb92896d4d9ae~mv2.jpg

Remember what I said above about ESPN3. Cole Reyes has the size (6-foot-2, 215 pounds) and the speed to really play safety at the next level. He is likely going to get forgotten about and turn into an ultimate value selection for the smart team that sticks with him during the draft process. Reyes' tape is covered in dynamic plays in which make you ask yourself if you are watching a highlight reel and instead you realize you are not. Reyes' disruption does not go unnoticed whether it's showing off his vertical jumping ability making a play on the ball, his acceleration to chase down the ball carrier and make the tackle or even his quickness to creep up and stuff the run behind the line of scrimmage.

Reyes is going to be a great prospect going into next year's draft. All that goes against him is his level of competition. There is a chance this will be the first of many time's you hear this man's name before draft day.

Those are my sleeper prospects going into the 2017 college football season. What are yours? Leave us some comments on your thoughts on my sleepers and give us some of yours. As always keep it right here for all the latest NFL Draft coverage all year long.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Nice work
He's my number two overall QB prospect going into this season only behind Sam Darnold
Can't believe you like Faulk over dude at Ok. State, dude at UCLA, Rosen, and the dude at Wyoming....couple others I like...but I'll let the season play out.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I knew that you'd put in a KU player. :p Also knew that you'd not include Mizzou players. :p

My Mizzou sleeper? J'Mon Moore. He had over 1,000 yards receiving for Mizzou last year, has size, has speed to go with his size. Problem is that he has concentration drops, but he's a quality player.

I can't exactly say that Marcell Frazier and Terry Beckner Jr. are sleepers when they're going in the first round this year, can I? :D

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice work
Can't believe you like Faulk over dude at Ok. State, dude at UCLA, Rosen, and the dude at Wyoming....couple others I like...but I'll let the season play out.
Falk is going to blow up. I was the first on the Wentz train, I had Mahomes as my top guy so I'm crazy, but thats not always a bad thing :D

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I knew that you'd put in a KU player. :p Also knew that you'd not include Mizzou players. :p

My Mizzou sleeper? J'Mon Moore. He had over 1,000 yards receiving for Mizzou last year, has size, has speed to go with his size. Problem is that he has concentration drops, but he's a quality player.

I can't exactly say that Marcell Frazier and Terry Beckner Jr. are sleepers when they're going in the first round this year, can I? :D
LOL A sleeper in my book is someone that isn't being talked about at all. Dorance Armstrong is a first round talent, but only Matt Miller is talking about him and me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Most of these players are well known draft prospects, thought to be future high draft (1st and 2nd round) choices. Anyone that hasn't heard of all but the last two, maybe, doesn't watch college football. Might as well throw in guys like Sam Darnold and Saquon Barkley to this 'sleeper' list.

Gesicki is the second best player on PSU and is projected as the top TE in the draft class. LJ Scott is Michigan States best player, ditto Maurice Hurst at Michigan. And how can a team that made the final four have any sleepers at all?

I don't think you understand the concept of a sleeper. I'd just call them prospects to watch.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He has but don't get too excited about blowing out my local boys.

I'll get a good look this week...I think they have a pro ready lineman too...
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/sep/24/time-not-on-washington-states-side-as-cougars-prep/

Time not on Washington State’s side as Cougars prepare for USC on short week

PULLMAN – The Cougars are working with an abbreviated clock this week as they prepare for a visit from the nation’s fifth-best football team.

Had this been a normal week, they’d have six days to prepare for a quarterback who can damage with his arm, his feet and his uncanny improvisation – perhaps the thing that most separates Sam Darnold from the Pac-12’s other elite passers. The Cougars probably wouldn’t mind having a month to game-plan for USC’s preseason All-American. Alas, they have until Friday.

That’s when Darnold and the Trojans will be on the Palouse, looking to extend the nation’s second-longest unbeaten streak (13 games).

“We’re going to talk about it,” WSU coach Mike Leach said of the shortened schedule. “The biggest thing, the most difficult is Sunday and Monday because you’ve got to get the game plan in and get through a whole pile of film. Sunday and Monday is always the toughest and it’s just accelerated it a little tougher yet losing a day.”

Friday’s game between USC (4-0, 2-0) and WSU (4-0, 1-0) will kick off at 7:30 p.m. at Martin Stadium. The implications can’t be understated.

The last time the Cougars started a football season with four wins and no losses, George W. Bush was in the first year of his initial presidential term. A season hasn’t looked this promising for WSU since 2001, but it’s also true that the Cougars still haven’t had a chance to see how their punches land against an opponent of the same weight class. By Saturday morning, we should know if they belong in the same division as the Trojans.

This game is as important for the visitors as it is for the hosts. USC, a four-point favorite as of Sunday afternoon, is supposed to give the Pac-12 its best chance at a spot in the College Football Playoff this season, so commissioner Larry Scott and the rest of the conference higher-ups are probably hoping the Los Angelans won’t trip up in Pullman. The Trojans are dealing with that pressure every time they step on the field this season.

Cal had a few chances to upset USC on Saturday afternoon in Berkeley, but the Golden Bears self-imploded, throwing four interceptions and losing two fumbles in a 10-point Trojans win. That could be a morale boost for Washington State fans, who know the Cougars are much better than Cal in most categories and certainly not as turnover-prone.

In four games – and don’t discount those three overtime periods in week two against Boise State – the Cougars have turned it over as many times as the Golden Bears did in 60 minutes on Saturday. You need a bunch of stat-sheet victories to overcome a team like USC, but you can’t expect to lose in the turnover column and come out on the winning end of the final score.

The Cougars aren’t making many mental errors these days – surely, the WSU coaches who dedicate their life’s work to finding flaws will be able to spot a few – and it’s probably a good sign that folks in Pullman are still asking this question: Which is the better unit, Leach’s Air Raid offense, or Alex Grinch’s Speed Defense?

During Saturday’s 45-7 demolition of Nevada, WSU took a shutout into the game’s final minutes and only conceded seven points when Leach felt good enough about the work his starters put in and plugged in the backups.

But the Cougars didn’t break much of a sweat in the second half against the Wolf Pack, scoring just 10 points after running up a 35-0 halftime lead. This wasn’t much of a shootout, but Leach wants to see steady execution and energy for all four quarters of a game just so the Cougars know how to do it when the stakes are raised.

“I thought we did some good things the second half,” Leach said. “I thought too many loose ends the second half. Not as consistent as the first half.”

The Cougars now have four days to correct those loose ends. It’s not an easy task, but if it’s any consolation, the Trojans have to do it, too.

“The schedule’s moved up a little bit,” quarterback Luke Falk said after the Nevada win. “Definitely got to get this one out of our system. Like now. Start watching film a little bit earlier and I don’t know how they’re going to structure practice, but we’ve got to get our mind on USC now.”

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion
Mike Gesicki Penn St TE just stomped my teams ass tonight. He's a bad mofo and literally jumped over the QB's head to celebrate a TD. I can see him maybe becomng a beast ass TE!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been impressed by Baker Mayfield, John Kelly (HB Tennessee), and Taven Bryan (DT Florida). I won't be a bit surprised if we look hard at Bryan if he declares. He's a Wade Phillips DL.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
He has but don't get too excited about blowing out my local boys.
By the way Oldschool, the Wolfpack isn't having a great year, but I'm proud of one kid, my nephew, #50, Austin Paulhus is having a heck of a year. Leads the MWC in tackles for loss. Met @RamFan503 and his lovely wife at the Air Force game Friday.

Austin.jpg

Austin Paulhus #50

We saw Austin get 21 tackles! I had no idea at the time he had that many. (Of course, it's partly because Air Force ran up and down the field at will. (n) ) Also he recovered a fumble. They have some good talent on defense. I think it is partly their coaching.

I think Austin has an outside shot at getting on with a team. GREAT KID too. Humble.

I've gone to 2 games this year. I really enjoy watching them play.

Do you follow the team?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By the way Oldschool, the Wolfpack isn't having a great year, but I'm proud of one kid, my nephew, #50, Austin Paulhus is having a heck of a year. Leads the MWC in tackles for loss. Met @RamFan503 and his lovely wife at the Air Force game Friday.

View attachment 22360
Austin Paulhus #50

We saw Austin get 21 tackles! I had no idea at the time he had that many. (Of course, it's partly because Air Force ran up and down the field at will. (n) ) Also he recovered a fumble. They have some good talent on defense. I think it is partly their coaching.

I think Austin has an outside shot at getting on with a team. GREAT KID too. Humble.

I've gone to 2 games this year. I really enjoy watching them play.

Do you follow the team?
That's awesome he's doing well and having fun. This is Coach Norvell's first year so the coaching makes sense. Especially with this being his first head coach job he hasn't really brought in his kind of players and the team he took over had issues too. I don't follow them a lot I go to a few games. I have other sports I spend Saturdays on when I have spare time. I'll try to get down before the season is over let me know the next time you come down.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
That's awesome he's doing well and having fun. This is Coach Norvell's first year so the coaching makes sense. Especially with this being his first head coach job he hasn't really brought in his kind of players and the team he took over had issues too. I don't follow them a lot I go to a few games. I have other sports I spend Saturdays on when I have spare time. I'll try to get down before the season is over let me know the next time you come down.
Sounds good. It's possible we will come over the hill for UNLV at the end of the season.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Tomorrow is the last game. We aren't going...other family members are going. I feel bad. It is their last game. Nephew playing hurt. Taking a cortisone shot, and going for it! Last shot to make an impression.

Did you make it out to any games? Stu and I caught the Air Force game, as I mentioned. I also went to Idaho State back in September.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tomorrow is the last game. We aren't going...other family members are going. I feel bad. It is their last game. Nephew playing hurt. Taking a cortisone shot, and going for it! Last shot to make an impression.

Did you make it out to any games? Stu and I caught the Air Force game, as I mentioned. I also went to Idaho State back in September.
No I'm heading out right now for the day tomorrow I have some family visiting the bay area for a couple days. Heading down for basically Saturday and getting back by kickoff Sunday.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've been impressed by Baker Mayfield, John Kelly (HB Tennessee), and Taven Bryan (DT Florida). I won't be a bit surprised if we look hard at Bryan if he declares. He's a Wade Phillips DL.

Find us a Corner Back, you @OldSchool @BonifayRam @Memento @LACHAMP46 and everyone else that's get involved in this, the Los Angeles Rams need a CB and a NT for starters they should draft two CB's one early and one with one of the three 6th round picks they have.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Find us a Corner Back, you @OldSchool @BonifayRam @Memento @LACHAMP46 and everyone else that's get involved in this, the Los Angeles Rams need a CB and a NT for starters they should draft two CB's one early and one with one of the three 6th round picks they have.
Josh Jackson Iowa, Isaiah Oliver Colorado, Holton Hill Texas, Tarvarus McFadden Fla St and Iman Marshall USC are the only ones I've seen anything from that I really like.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Josh Jackson Iowa, Isaiah Oliver Colorado, Holton Hill Texas, Tarvarus McFadden Fla St and Iman Marshall USC are the only ones I've seen anything from that I really like.

Oliver must have improved a lot this year. I didn't like him last year.