Simmons: Experienced Kromer to Lead Young Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Experienced Kromer to Lead Young Offensive Line

Myles Simmons

Of the many famous football clichés, “Everything starts up front” tends to ring true year after year. And new offensive line coach Aaron Kromer is tasked with ensuring the Rams have the best group in the trenches week in and week out.

Entering his 17th year as an NFL coach, Kromer has a bevy of experience leading successful offensive lines. He was the OL coach in New Orleans when the Saints won Super Bowl XLIV, also serving as the club’s running game coordinator. Then Kromer spent 2013 and 2014 as the Bears’ offensive coordinator, helping guide a unit that set franchise passing records. And at his most recent stop, the Bills led the league in yards rushing in 2015 and 2016 with Kromer as offensive line coach.

It’s Kromer’s goal to bring that kind of dynamic attack to Los Angeles.

“It’s a great opportunity,” Kromer said last Friday. “I’ve been lucky — my first 11 years as a coach, I made the playoffs a lot of times. And then hit a couple places where we haven’t won as much, but we were No. 1 in rushing at Buffalo. We broke Chicago Bears records in Chicago on offense, so I feel like we’ve still had a lot of success.

“I hope we can carry that into this place, into the Los Angeles Rams, and use that knowledge of what brought victories, what brought success to help this team,” Kromer added.

Teaching the Rams’ new offensive system to the group up front will be a process, but one made easier given Kromer and head coach Sean McVay’s coaching lineage. It’s been well documented how McVay learned under Jon and Jay Gruden. The elder Gruden brother was also the one to give Kromer his start in the NFL, hiring him as an offensive line assistant with the Raiders in 2001.

“Our backgrounds are similar … in that Jon Gruden and Bill Callahan trained me to be an NFL coach right out of college coaching. And Sean McVay, right out of college, was trained by Jon Gruden,” Kromer said. “And so we have the same philosophy — although there’s tweaks here and there that we’re going to work together to find the best answer. And so that’s how we felt good and strong about working together.”

It’s still early in the evaluation process, but the youth and size among the Rams’ offensive line stick out to Kromer.

“Being young, they move well because they have young knees, and young hips, and young ankles. So they move well as a group,” Kromer said. “They’re 310-plus across the board, 320. And you’re always looking for the bigger, the faster, the better.”

It’s no secret Los Angeles finished No. 32 in total offense last year, with issues across the board. And while some of the problems can be attributed to the offensive line, Kromer sees them as collective.

“The group needs to get better,” Kromer said. “So how are you going to do that? You’re going to try to do your best of coaching the guys you have, maybe finding some guys to help, and just continuing forward. I think it’s a process, but I think with Sean McVay’s leadership, his ability to communicate the way he does, his competitive greatness — I feel like [that’s] going to rub off on this team.”

When it comes to offensive line personnel, one name that has consistently come up is 2014 first-round pick Greg Robinson, who was deactivated for two games in 2016. Much of the discussion has centered around whether or not there may be a position change in his future from tackle to guard.

McVay said last Friday that is still up for discussion.

“Obviously, when you look at some of the things he’s able to do, you see the athleticism,” McVay said. “In space, when he’s pulling around and using some of those parameter schemes that they did offensively last year. He’s a guy that we’re excited to get around.”

As a group, though, Kromer said chemistry and communication between the five men on the offensive line is crucial for offensive improvement.

“The challenge is that you take this young group and you develop them and mold them into what you’re looking for,” Kromer said. “And we hope that we have character in this group. We hope that we can communicate in this group. And we really hope that they have competitive greatness — that they want to block their man more than that guy wants to make the tackle.”

And with a young offensive line and young quarterback, it’s important both position groups make progress together.

“The quarterback is going to run the ship. He’s in charge,” Kromer said. “The center then at that point is the next in charge. So we have to make sure that they understand the system together, That they can work together and communicate what we’re trying to get done.

“So that’s our job as coaches,” Kromer continued, “to get that to them in a way that they can relate it to each other and have success from there. So like I said, it’s a challenge, but it’s a challenge we look forward to.”

[www.therams.com]

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get the distinct feeling we're not going to see as much turnover on the OLine as most people want.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Kromer's biggest hurdle is the CBA limiting how much contact he can have to start coaching these guys. Maybe he should put a call in to Billechek and ask how he gets around it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Looking forward to this draft with Kromer involved....We need a Center and a LT. Then I wanna see what he can do with Greg, Rob, and Jamon.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
One would think that Aaron Kromer either just over looked or did not see the 6-2 299 pound Demetrius Rhaney standing behind Havenstein & Robinson.

Kromer is correct that the 11 OL'ers under contract are a very young cadre, with Saffold & Barnes being the well seasoned old farts @ only 28 yrs old. David Arkin {OG/RT/OC} is 29 but has only suited up for 3 games. Saffold who has played in 83 games in 7 seasons is the most experienced of the unit. However his body does have some major repair worked on many previous wrecks. Barnes who has suited up for 77 games, does have some dents too in his shoulders & last season with his foot but is in much better shape wise than Saffold.

The next group Robinson (46 games), Rhaney (32 games), Havenstein (28 games), Wichmann (24 games) Donnal (21 games) & Brown(20 games) are barley brokein in yet. However Brown has had two surgeries his first two seasons & one IR, Wichmann has had two high ankle sprains in his first two seasons & Havenstein had one nagging injury after another after another in 2016. Then there's UDFA's of Murphy (16 games) & Williams who is another injury OL waiting to happen after two NFL seasons with physical health issues.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get the distinct feeling we're not going to see as much turnover on the OLine as most people want.

The great position coaches can do that, remember Hudson Houck? He could take somebody that was cut and make him one heck of an offensive lineman. IMO, Kromer is in that league.

Ram65

Legend
“The challenge is that you take this young group and you develop them and mold them into what you’re looking for,” Kromer said. “And we hope that we have character in this group. We hope that we can communicate in this group. And we really hope that they have competitive greatness — that they want to block their man more than that guy wants to make the tackle.”

Kromer's biggest hurdle is the CBA limiting how much contact he can have to start coaching these guys. Maybe he should put a call in to Billechek and ask how he gets around it.

Looking forward to this draft with Kromer involved....We need a Center and a LT. Then I wanna see what he can do with Greg, Rob, and Jamon.

I really wonder WHEN Kromer is going to find out what he has in the current offensive line. In this article and previous one he stated that he needs to be with the players to evaluate them. Old School could be right that he may not make personnel changes on the line. I have to agree with LACHAMP46 on OC need but, who knows what Kromer thinks about GRob and what he thinks he can do with him at LT. Bubbaramfan has a good point about not getting contact practice time to start coaching. Now, I not so sure where the Rams for offensive line help free agency and the draft. My best guess is offensive center.

jap

Legend
The great position coaches can do that, remember Hudson Houck? He could take somebody that was cut and make him one heck of an offensive lineman. IMO, Kromer is in that league.

You're comparing Kromer to Hudson Houck? That's superlative praise, indeed! My grandmother could gain 1000 yards behind the OL's that Hudson constructed here in LA. And Eric "the Great" Dickerson gain 2105 in 1984.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My best guess is offensive center.

This is what the Rams need and a savvy veteran in middle can make all the difference, plus being strong enough to control the point of attack. Love Barnes and his effort, but Rams need a talent upgrade at the position and some of the guys have offered some good off-season alternatives like @jrry32 with the signing of free agent Steve Wisniewski and drafting of Jon Toth out of Kentucky.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You're comparing Kromer to Hudson Houck? That's superlative praise, indeed! My grandmother could gain 1000 yards behind the OL's that Hudson constructed here in LA. And Eric "the Great" Dickerson gain 2105 in 1984.

The irony is that John Robinson brought some high profile assistants with him from USC when he was hired by the Los Angeles Rams back in 1983. Houck was one along with Defensive Line Coach Marv Goux (God bless his soul) who were just amazing at their craft.

Ram65

Legend
This is what the Rams need and a savvy veteran in middle can make all the difference, plus being strong enough to control the point of attack. Love Barnes and his effort, but Rams need a talent upgrade at the position and some of the guys have offered some good off-season alternatives like @jrry32 with the signing of free agent Steve Wisniewski and drafting of Jon Toth out of Kentucky.

Just read the articles on OC Lefleur. The Falcons got Alex Mack and that really helped them. Let's hope the Rams find their Alex Mack.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This ^ may be true, but until the coaches are able to get together with the Players, and really evaluate them, I don't think they know who will stay, and how much New talent they will have to bring in! JMHO!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The conundrum is, no player contact until AFTER the draft and free agency. So do you draft an OL or sign an OL free agent based solely on film evaluation?

The CBA really has tied Kromers hands.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I like that I keep hearing the same pattern from our new coaches....that they're all already on the same page as far as philosophy and exacution.
This offensive staff already sounds like they are all in complete unison.

The last few years it seemed like a cornucopia of mixed philosophy, with no clear direction.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
When the Rams last changed HC & OL coaches 2012....of the 12 signed on roster Ram OL'ers & 2011 players only 2 remained as Rams (Saffold & Barnes) to play in the 2012 season. A very BIG turnaround, for sure. Things are a bit different in the OL in 2017 from back then. There is a much bigger investments of OL'ers through the draft in 2014 & 2015 than what we had invested back in 2012.

If the Rams did land one of the top 4 or 5 top UFA OG's lets say like LG Ron Leary or RG TJ Lang would permit Kromer to concentrate on the OTs issues & to a lesser degree center. I am considerable more positive of Tim Barnes than most all other members here. I would prefer to seek a center in the draft on day three & a LT on day two.....
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/OT
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/C

& give an opportunity to see what the over 6-5 320 plus pound Cody Wichmann would do @ center in TC to go with Barnes & Rhaney.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/guard/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/center/

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A miracle worker then...I hope you are right, cuz I have seen very few of those on the Rams in a decade...well, except maybe Fassell...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
When the Rams last changed HC & OL coaches 2012....of the 12 signed on roster Ram OL'ers & 2011 players only 2 remained as Rams (Saffold & Barnes) to play in the 2012 season. A very BIG turnaround, for sure. Things are a bit different in the OL in 2017 from back then. There is a much bigger investments of OL'ers through the draft in 2014 & 2015 than what we had invested back in 2012.

If the Rams did land one of the top 4 or 5 top UFA OG's lets say like LG Ron Leary or RG TJ Lang would permit Kromer to concentrate on the OTs issues & to a lesser degree center. I am considerable more positive of Tim Barnes than most all other members here. I would prefer to seek a center in the draft on day three & a LT on day two.....
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/OT
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/C

& give an opportunity to see what the over 6-5 320 plus pound Cody Wichmann would do @ center in TC to go with Barnes & Rhaney.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/guard/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/center/
I'm not a fan of Barnes as our starting C. He always seems to be pushed into the back field in pass pro.
I'd be ok with him as a back up, but that's about it. I'd prefer someone more stout and harder to push around starting.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The conundrum is, no player contact until AFTER the draft and free agency. So do you draft an OL or sign an OL free agent based solely on film evaluation?

The CBA really has tied Kromers hands.
Don't the Rams, BTW, get dispensation before the Draft?

I mean, they do have a new HC.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Quixote, the only thing I can find in the most recent CBA is a team employing a new coach can start their OT's a week earlier than other teams.

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable ROD members can chime in with exactly when McVay and the new coaching staff can get with players.

Concerning C Barnes. Anyone know how many running plays the Rams called going up the middle? The few I that recall there was a DT in the backfield getting the handoff about the same time as Gurley.

Last edited: