Should the NFL consider rule changes to help the running game?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They say it's a QB driven league, but is that a good thing?

With rule changes to help the passing game, having a good QB is more important than ever. Don't have one? Good luck! Lose your starter? Season over!

There are just not enough good QB's out there.

Gone are the days winning a Super Bowl with Jim McMahon, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer.

Could rule changes to help the running game, in combination with some to reel in the passing game... Bring teams more in balance from the QB have/have-not game of today?

I doubt the NFL wants to lose the fireworks of the passing game, but just tossing the thought out there.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
They need to decide what a damn catch is and make it clear as day and not grey area.
#itwasacatch

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gone are the days winning a Super Bowl with Jim McMahon, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer.

rypien played great all year and in the superbowl and was mvp.

didn't williams throw 4tds or something? also mvp.

why throw those two names in there?

it kills me to say this but the ravens only won with dilfer. not so much with banks and grbac who came before and after him.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

With rule changes to help the passing game, having a good QB is more important than ever. Don't have one? Good luck! Lose your starter? Season over!

Could rule changes to help the running game, in combination with some to reel in the passing game... Bring teams more in balance from the QB have/have-not game of today?

I doubt the NFL wants to lose the fireworks of the passing game, but just tossing the thought out there.

How about RBs can't be tackled till they're 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage..That way Gurley could be the first 4,000 yard rusher..No more stupid than the rule that lets a QB throw the ball out of bounds...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Conversely there aren't enough good RB's out there either. Not sure what the answer is but I'm reminded of listening to Jack Youngblood and Fred Dryer talk on the Rich Eisen show they were emphasizing it about just tackling but it goes back to kids aren't taught the basics. Kids see all the highlights on ESPN and such and want to make big flashy plays but don't know how to actually play the sport.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hy throw those two names in there

The group I listed, if you look at their careers, were not elite QBs.

They played well in those seasons, or those games. Point being; the game favoured their success back then.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

That is a very interesting question.

I do have a preference for balance.

I do not want the NFL to be a 7 on 7 league as much of college football has become.

I am a fan of imposing your will physically on the other team. I like great rushing offense.

I would love to see 30 take a run at 29's records.....

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
We don't need any more rules in fact there's a few they need to take out.They need to go back to the game we all fell in love with decades ago.Some of these rules they have now are just ridiculous and its only getting worse.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We don't need any more rules in fact there's a few they need to take out.They need to go back to the game we all fell in love with decades ago.Some of these rules they have now are just ridiculous and its only getting worse.

I'm not talking about adding more rules.

And, you sort of added to my point; the game decades ago wasn't this wide open passing league - as heavily depended on the QB throwing the ball.

Just wondering if the league's move to more passing is actually a good thing. Could it be more of a team game, if there were enablers to encourage running the ball?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think the one thing they might try to fix for the running game is holding calls, it is too subjective like most of the rules. As far as changes go I think they need to cutdown the rules in general so the refs actually know what they all are.

Peyton Manning SB 50 passing stats 13 for 23 141 yards and 1 Int. And the Broncos QB play over all was not great this year.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fixing the mad inconsistencies in the calls made by each Ref crew. It's ridiculous that the King of the sporting universe has such poor officiating. They can't properly enforce the rules that are currently in the book... and like many of you I bet, sometimes I feel like the OBVIOUS calls that get completely ignored are intentional.

Why GODhell and Co don't do something to dramatically improve their clown show Ref crews is incomprehensible to me. It feels criminal.

The sooner they make everything review-able... THE FUCKING BETTER if you're asking this jaded fan. And yeah... I don't give a flying fuck if it makes an NFL game last longer. Getting the call correct should be the most important thing.

I feel just a very very tiny bit better after that mini rant now.

diggity

Rookie
2 rule changes that I would love to see...
Players have to actually SET A FOOT in the End Zone for a TD! This flying over the corner of the end zone, just holding the ball out while they fly through the air on a dive...without touching a nano part of anything...never liked it!
And, if a player gets up and starts pretending to throw a flag or whining about a penalty...should get an unsportsmanlike flag!
Heck, some even start to complaining while they're still in the actual play.
GO RAMS!!!!!!

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I'm not talking about adding more rules.

And, you sort of added to my point; the game decades ago wasn't this wide open passing league - as heavily depended on the QB throwing the ball.

Just wondering if the league's move to more passing is actually a good thing. Could it be more of a team game, if there were enablers to encourage running the ball?

Ok they may not be adding new rules but some of the revisions are starting to ruin the game.Its a contact sport but some of the revisions make it hard to do just that. The pussification of the NFL is well under way and its ruining the game imho.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

True. Extrapolate that out into society as well. The "there aught to be a law" crowd should take a step back and realize law and compliance are two different matters.

Gun laws, for example, only give an advantage to criminals. They don't make us safer unless we are willing to lose all of our freedoms.

Many of the football rules have not made things safer but just created different injuries.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Fixing the mad inconsistencies in the calls made by each Ref crew. It's ridiculous that the King of the sporting universe has such poor officiating. They can't properly enforce the rules that are currently in the book... and like many of you I bet, sometimes I feel like the OBVIOUS calls that get completely ignored are intentional.

Why GODhell and Co don't do something to dramatically improve their clown show Ref crews is incomprehensible to me. It feels criminal.

The sooner they make everything review-able... THE freaking BETTER if you're asking this jaded fan. And yeah... I don't give a flying freak if it makes an NFL game last longer. Getting the call correct should be the most important thing.

I feel just a very very tiny bit better after that mini rant now.

Goodell and the NFL tried to get positive changes, the union would have none of it then the refs got locked out and fans whined SO loudly about how bad the replacements were the NFL caved in.

I'm no fan of Roger's, I think he is a lying sack of shit, but he did make the effort to try to improve the refs.

I also think anything they aren't sure of should be reviewed. For fucks sake most of the time the refs can just look at the big screens and see what happened, they don't need to go under the hood.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

They could allow holding by the OL.........oh wait nevermind.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm tired of rule changes
Ditto!! I think the League should Revamp the " Rule Book " and do-away with 50% of the rules! They hinder the game, and prevent it from being played as it should be played!!

Read my quote below!!